Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 20, 2009 8:20 AM
Sep 2007
I think it would be good if we list anime which are not popular but surprisingly good, they don't need to have very good quality or something but just surprisingly good for what it is.

Generator Gawl - Similar to full metal panic. School, comedy and action etc.
Figure 17 - Have both a slice of life and Sci-Fi/Action story with same amount of focus.
Devilman Lady - Yuri, Romance, Horror, Drama, Angst, Gore etc.
Cho Jiku Seiki Orguss 02 - good, a bit similar to Orphen Revenge.
Sadamitsu the Destroyer - Enjoyable.
Uninhabited Planet Survive - Awesome character and plot development with nice settings.
Detonator Orgun - A classic I think.
Tekkaman Blade - Similar to Detonator Orgun but more of a shounen type.
Shin Angyo Onshi - Enjoyable.
Biohunter - Good horror.
Dai-Guard - Other than the fighting was fun.
Candidate for Goddess - No ending but the twelve episodes were enjoyable.
Kyoushoku Soukou Guyver - Lot of Sci-Fi things.
Zipang - WWII theme

Here are some anime which I think are surprisingly good.
XzaROct 21, 2009 7:41 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 20, 2009 9:59 AM

Jan 2009
Sci-Fi Harry - supernatural, horrorish twist. Anime style is not standard pretty-ish, so might be a turn off for some.

TOKKO - action, mystery, horror
Oct 20, 2009 3:04 PM
Sep 2007
ah, Sci-fi Harry I remember I watched some episode of that series but the main character was somehow creepy.

TOKKO is also good but would be better if it had a sequel too, well I don't like to follow the manga but others may do.
XzaROct 20, 2009 3:08 PM
Oct 20, 2009 4:34 PM

Nov 2007
Yomigaeru Sora -Rescue Wings- (how many people have heard of this one?)
Toshokan Sensou (surprised they got funding for this one)
Plastic Little (people seems to expect a lot more sex out of this one than they should, there is 1 friggin scene with nudity, 1!)
Oct 20, 2009 4:37 PM

Mar 2008
hmm.. I would say:
Asatte no Houkou
it really touched me, and enjoyd every minute of it
The world is my country, science is my religion.
Anime Achievements
Oct 20, 2009 5:01 PM
Sep 2007
Oh yeah I forgot to mention Yomigaeru Sora -Rescue Wings-, I have seen it and it is a really good anime.
Oct 21, 2009 8:36 AM

Jan 2009
Yomigaeru Sora -Rescue Wings -- mhh haven't seen that one. Seinen... think I need to watch it :p

Shura no Toki -- martial arts, drama, historical. Great fighting, interesting story.
Oct 21, 2009 9:22 AM

Jul 2009
I would probably repeat myself, but I think Zipang is a surprisingly good anime. I was looking for anime with a time-travel storyline and I found this. First I was a little bit unsure because of the animation, but it was awesome. It is a pity because it is too short (and manga isn't complete)
Oct 21, 2009 10:45 AM

Apr 2008
I have only one.
Legendary Gambler Tetsuya .
It went more popular after k-profiler completed the subbing tho.
Some basic mahjong knowledge is good to have with you for this anime.

Oct 21, 2009 1:01 PM

Apr 2009
Shangri-La. It's just really good - not many loopholes even though it was a complex story, very prettily drawn, likable and diverse characters that you don't often meet in other anime. The transvestites are awesome xD~.
"Don't believe in the you that believes in me. Don't believe in the me that believes in you. Believe in the you that believes in yourself."
Oct 21, 2009 9:21 PM

Aug 2007
I agree with Figure 17 and Shangri-la, especially the first.

Kannazuki no Miko: Despite all the cheesiness that threatens to ovewhelm the anime and the very odd choice of genre mix (magical girl meets mecha meets maid gallore meets catgirl meets sexy nun, all with plenty of yuri thrown in for good measure) it redeems itself in the last episodes and actually delivers a sweet and tragic love story.

Simoun: The premise seems way too far out to work, namely the part in which girls kissing powers the flying machines but despite that it offers more character development that less gimmicky titles

Hyakko: In the same line as the ever so famous Azumanga Daioh, Hyakko is hilarious and the cast is vivid with great interaction and comedy. Add some yuri undertones and it becomes a comedy jewel.

Turn A Gundam: A genuinely innovative mecha title that is original in many ways, particularly the steam tech approach tied with a pseudo historical setting. One of the best entries in the Gundam franchise and by far the most underrated.
Oct 21, 2009 9:44 PM

Apr 2009
Kaitou Saint Tail-Even though it's very old its the first shoujo maho kaitou anime and it's really cute.

Princess Tutu-I never intended watching it for the title but it's one of the most grasping animes I have ever watched.

Super GALS!-It's old I've only read the manga but from what I've watched from the anime it's freaking awesome and hilarious the main character is also very energetic.
Click it! :D
Oct 22, 2009 2:55 PM

Sep 2008
Nocturnal said:

Hyakko: In the same line as the ever so famous Azumanga Daioh, Hyakko is hilarious and the cast is vivid with great interaction and comedy. Add some yuri undertones and it becomes a comedy jewel.

Very much agreed. I did not expect a random slice of life anime to be so entertaining.

I haven't heard of any of the above. I need to dig deeper to find some anime these days.

I'll add some here when I get around to it. There are some on my mind but I'd rather do it all at once but don't have the time now.
Oct 22, 2009 3:34 PM

Mar 2008
Ironkarma said:
I have only one.
Legendary Gambler Tetsuya .
It went more popular after k-profiler completed the subbing tho.
Some basic mahjong knowledge is good to have with you for this anime.

seconded :)
The world is my country, science is my religion.
Anime Achievements
Oct 22, 2009 5:58 PM
Sep 2007
The Law of Ueki is another good anime.
Oct 22, 2009 8:22 PM

Nov 2007
oh, i forgot about Those Who Hunt Elves. From the cover of the dvd box on my shelf, you would almost think this show was a hentai about stripping elves or something....
But I found it really funny, and touching at times. The BGM doesn't hurt either. Track 6 on the ost is my fav.
Oct 23, 2009 6:19 AM
Sep 2007
You are right about the track 6, Tasogare no Isekai is really good. Maybe I should see the Those Who Hunt Elves because I have not seen it.

Kyou kara Ore wa!! is another really good anime, have really good jokes and slapstick humour.
XzaROct 23, 2009 6:24 AM
Oct 23, 2009 6:53 AM

Jan 2009
Zipang looks interesting Aluminium_Siren. I'll def check it.

Another one is Anne no Nikki: Anne Frank Monogatari - drama, slice of life, historical. Based on Anne Franks Diary. Depressing but a good watch.
Oct 23, 2009 12:33 PM

Aug 2007
I read the Diary of Anne Frank so now I am curious about this anime. Reading it was depressing but very emotionally rewarding so I wonder how the anime fared.
Oct 23, 2009 4:06 PM
Sep 2007
Here is another anime I like Bobby ni Kubittake. I am not sure why, but I kind of like the old style. It gives a different feeling compared to new anime. The story revolve around pen-friends if I remember right.
Oct 27, 2009 12:10 AM

Feb 2008
Not that he's "surprisingly" good to me anymore, but when I first saw Makoto Skinkai's Voices of a Distant Star and She and Her Cat, I thought they were surprisingly good because of how short they were...and really they're just completely amazing. And everything else he's done is also fantastic.
Oct 29, 2009 4:05 PM

Jul 2009
I thought that Yami no Matsuei was pretty good even though it only covered a part of the actual manga.

Gokusen was pretty cool too, though I usually don't like stories that center around schools. (Trust me, it is way cooler than that) I mean the anime, not the live action version. I haven't watched that. There was a lot of action and some good laughs in that.

Scryed was awesome as well. One of my favorite episodes in it made me cry like a baby. And I hate crying.
Oct 30, 2009 11:29 AM

Aug 2009
seto no hanayome..i'm really glad i watched it...especially the OVA - the horror part -

^_^
Oct 30, 2009 2:09 PM

Feb 2008
LoneWolfD said:
Not that he's "surprisingly" good to me anymore, but when I first saw Makoto Skinkai's Voices of a Distant Star and She and Her Cat, I thought they were surprisingly good because of how short they were...and really they're just completely amazing. And everything else he's done is also fantastic.

+1, Makoto Shinkai is a genius

For my part, Hunter x Hunter was a very pleasant surprise. I expected it to be a generic shounen title but it turned out to be very intelligent and interesting although the 2nd and 3rd OVA were a little less cool but overall a great anime. Also Utawarerumono, Bokurano and Over Drive.

Oct 30, 2009 2:11 PM

Aug 2009
At first, when I saw Clannad, I thought it was going to be a pointless harem with one guy who flirts with all the girls and all the girls were going to be ditzy and shiznit.

I was hell wrong! ;D It's now one of my most favourite anime, and I am currently watching after story ^^

Thanks to Shiro-chan for scripting! ♥
Nov 3, 2009 6:03 AM
Sep 2007
Ayatsuri Sakon - Another anime with brain, lot of horror and mysteries.
Angel Heart - Family relationship, Action, Assassin and Comedy etc. You don't need to see City Hunter. A elite assassin with no common sense try to find a normal life which make her similar to Sagara Sousuke in FMP.
Freedom - Space, Earth, High detailed settings, Epic locations, good story, character development and same art as Akira if you like it.
Gallery Fake - Great arts, Seinen and a nice female assistant which make the anime to not feel seriously all the time.
Nov 3, 2009 6:29 AM

Jun 2009
Plan to watch list update XzaR ;)
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Nov 4, 2009 2:47 PM

Dec 2008
Requiem from the Darkness (aka Hundred Stories) - Excellent horror series that never gets any attention.
Nov 9, 2009 7:31 PM

Mar 2007
Terra E - Fantastic Space Opera, doesn't come much better than this

Akagi - The psychology of sports gambling at its finest
Nov 16, 2009 11:41 AM

Jan 2009
Area 88 -- War/dog-fight short series. Ending a tad sappy. Supposedly the OVA is even better (I hope so. Haven' t seen it yet)
Nov 16, 2009 2:01 PM

Aug 2007
Fafner : It looks like Gundam Seed and it seems like an Eva ripoff. However the characters are well developed and unique in their interaction, the plot is solid for the most part and it is emotionally very rewarding. The OVA is heartbreakingly beautiful. Bonus points for one of the best soundtracks ever.

Simoun: The premise sounds too silly to hold, flying machines powered by girls kissing...?! Yet it offers a compelling story and a very interesting look on gender issues.

Revolutionary Girl Utena: A brilliant shoujo that goes way beyond its initially Sailor Moon with swords appearance.
Nov 16, 2009 2:35 PM

Dec 2008
Nocturnal said:
Simoun: The premise sounds too silly to hold, flying machines powered by girls kissing...?! Yet it offers a compelling story and a very interesting look on gender issues.

I'm currently watching it. The whole gender thing threw me off at first (reaction: "Uh... Why do these male characters have female voices? o_O"), but I'm slowly getting into it.
Nov 16, 2009 4:05 PM

Jun 2009
Oh yes, Simoun is fantastic.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Your worst anime experience? ( 1 2 )

XzaR - Oct 6, 2009

84 by DreamingGhost »»
Jun 3, 2023 6:53 AM

Poll: » What browser do you use?

XzaR - Aug 24, 2010

5 by XzaR »»
May 29, 2023 4:06 AM

» Your first anime experience? ( 1 2 )

XzaR - Oct 1, 2009

76 by XzaR »»
May 29, 2023 2:18 AM

» [Game] Name that character ( 1 2 3 )

LoneWolfD - Mar 16, 2010

102 by DreamingGhost »»
May 28, 2023 8:21 PM

» Show your Desktop

XzaR - Apr 28, 2010

5 by DreamingGhost »»
May 28, 2023 8:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.