Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 7, 2014 6:48 PM

Nov 2008
I'm empathic for the loli even if she's truly evil or like Fear Kubrick has a high kill count and would rather see her hugged and loved than killed.

Aug 7, 2014 6:49 PM

Aug 2013
I have zero empathy for loud mouth bratty lolis. If Skuld and Maho exploded I would be INCREDIBLY DELIGHTED. I don't have more sympathy for lolis that I don't find annoying(Wendy, Haruka) than other characters but nevertheless I feel sympathy for them.
Aug 7, 2014 7:01 PM

Jun 2014
They have made anime 20% better
Aug 7, 2014 7:18 PM

Nov 2012
Lolis are amazing little creatures.
Aug 7, 2014 7:20 PM

Nov 2011
Okay, to clear something up, a loli (short for lolicon) is by definition an erotic/sexual portrayal of a prepubescent girl. If the portrayal is innocent, they're not a loli in the first place.

That being said, it's disgusting. Little girls don't bother me, but sexual portrayals of them definitely do.
Aug 7, 2014 7:24 PM

Mar 2013
Have you punted a loli across the room today?
Aug 7, 2014 7:30 PM

May 2013
fst said:

I really should, it sounds quite lovely.
Aug 7, 2014 7:32 PM

Nov 2008
fst said:

How horrifying.

SanaeSnake said:
Lolis are amazing little creatures.

Aug 7, 2014 7:38 PM

Apr 2011
Usually, no. But sometimes yes. Depends on the quality of dem lolis.

TripleSRank said:
Okay, to clear something up, a loli (short for lolicon) is by definition an erotic/sexual portrayal of a prepubescent girl. If the portrayal is innocent, they're not a loli in the first place.

That being said, it's disgusting. Little girls don't bother me, but sexual portrayals of them definitely do.
[citation needed]
Aug 7, 2014 7:41 PM

Apr 2012
TripleSRank said:

Yeah... No.

Lolicon has different meanings depending on location, and the Japanese took from the word Lolita, with the appearance of the Lolita novel in '55 (around the '70's they adopted it and made it into Lolicon). Lolicon in Japan can be the attraction towards prepubescent individuals (pedophilia), the individual (the lolicon, the pedophile), or simply lolicon anime or manga.

The west instead uses "loli" as any type of "young girl" ("" because it's mostly defined by body type, otherwise you cannot define it mostly because of how Anime/Manga sometimes forget to tell us ages), actually, the Japanese did not use "Loli" or "Rori" by themselves either. And Lolicon as simply the genre in the west, which again, nowadays can just be anything that involves a lot of "young girls".

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Aug 7, 2014 8:10 PM

Nov 2011
Immahnoob said:
Yeah... No.

Lolicon has different meanings depending on location, and the Japanese took from the word Lolita, with the appearance of the Lolita novel in '55 (around the '70's they adopted it and made it into Lolicon). Lolicon in Japan can be the attraction towards prepubescent individuals (pedophilia), the individual (the lolicon, the pedophile), or simply lolicon anime or manga.

The west instead uses "loli" as any type of "young girl" ("" because it's mostly defined by body type, otherwise you cannot define it mostly because of how Anime/Manga sometimes forget to tell us ages), actually, the Japanese did not use "Loli" or "Rori" by themselves either. And Lolicon as simply the genre in the west, which again, nowadays can just be anything that involves a lot of "young girls".

Well, at least you know what you're talking about.

The West uses "otaku" to mean people who love anime, but that isn't right either. It's an insult used to refer to NEET's with an unhealthy, obsessive love of anime. We could go back and forth forever as to which definition is more proper, but there's not really any conclusive way to prove either standpoint.

It's an improper use of the term, whether you're talking about "otaku" or "lolicon", as far as I'm concerned.
Aug 7, 2014 8:18 PM

Apr 2012
TripleSRank said:
Immahnoob said:
Yeah... No.

The West uses "otaku" to mean people who love anime, but that isn't right either. It's an insult used to refer to NEET's with an unhealthy, obsessive love of anime. We could go back and forth forever as to which definition is more proper, but there's not really any conclusive way to prove either standpoint.

It's an improper use of the term, whether you're talking about "otaku" or "lolicon", as far as I'm concerned.

No, it's how the language changes. You know, dictionaries can become outdated, they are authorities but they can be wrong, etc.

Like "gay" meant "happy" (or more like, "ecstatic", could still mean that if you force it, but nobody uses it as such anymore), now it means "homosexual".

Autocrat said:
Aug 7, 2014 8:19 PM

Apr 2013
That's pretty damn shallow

And unfortunately, probably not
Aug 7, 2014 8:22 PM

Dec 2013
What's there to not love in this?
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Aug 7, 2014 8:24 PM

Apr 2012
FlareStar101 said:

There's nothing not to love, my young padawan.

Autocrat said:
Aug 7, 2014 8:26 PM

Aug 2013
FlareStar101 said:
The fact that they look like they are 10 years old.
Aug 7, 2014 8:26 PM

May 2014
Just guess where I stand on this.

Just guess. Unless you're retarded or dyslexic, you're going to be right.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Aug 7, 2014 8:32 PM

Jan 2008
DrGeroCreation said:
FlareStar101 said:

They don't look like they're 10, they are 10.
Aug 7, 2014 8:40 PM

Nov 2011
Immahnoob said:
TripleSRank said:

No, it's how the language changes. You know, dictionaries can become outdated, they are authorities but they can be wrong, etc.

Like "gay" meant "happy" (or more like, "ecstatic", could still mean that if you force it, but nobody uses it as such anymore), now it means "homosexual".

That's a change within the same language. It was slang that overtook the original usage. This is a borrowed word from another language being used improperly- and, might I add, the word is still used in its original sense in Japan. If the Japanese start using "loli" to simply mean "little girls" (similar to how the word "ecchi" changed there thanks to Western usage), only then does it become proper to use it that way.
Aug 7, 2014 8:41 PM

Jan 2014
HSiangboy said:
They have made anime 20% better
I'd say about 17.7629215786357% better, do you even calculate bro? It's like took a random percentage.

You are probably not the only person, they are designed for empathy in mind at times.
Aug 7, 2014 8:44 PM

Jun 2014
Loli's are awesome. Shinobu Oshino? Renge Miyauchi? Need I say more?
Aug 7, 2014 8:44 PM

Oct 2012
lolis are great suicide bombers.
Aug 7, 2014 8:55 PM

Apr 2012
TripleSRank said:
Immahnoob said:

That's a change within the same language. It was slang that overtook the original usage. This is a borrowed word from another language being used improperly- and, might I add, the word is still used in its original sense in Japan. If the Japanese start using "loli" to simply mean "little girls" (similar to how the word "ecchi" changed there thanks to Western usage), only then does it become proper to use it that way.

There was never an "improper" or "proper" when talking about language changes, TripleSRank, there is no language that has never borrowed from another or language that has borrowed from another and changed the meaning.

By your logic, those that came first are in the right... Well wrong, the Japanese took from the west, so if we want, Lolicon is now Dinosaurs, again, by your logic.

Autocrat said:
Aug 7, 2014 8:57 PM

Aug 2013
Paul said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Okay noted. Knowing that though makes it sad to see them sexualized.

Aug 7, 2014 8:59 PM

Apr 2012
The Digital White Knights are here.

Autocrat said:
Aug 7, 2014 9:11 PM

Jan 2014
Immahnoob said:
Hide yo kids, hide yo waifu, and hide yo husbando too cuz they gonna defend 'em all.
Aug 7, 2014 9:14 PM

Apr 2012
D4rkseid said:
Immahnoob said:
Hide yo kids, hide yo waifu, and hide yo husbando too cuz they gonna defend 'em all.
White knight in a loli town. He's got trouble. Get in his way, he's gonna cut you down. Takin' over. He can ride. He can shoot. Don't take nothin' from nobody.

Autocrat said:
Aug 7, 2014 9:16 PM

Aug 2013
Immahnoob said:
Where?
Aug 7, 2014 9:16 PM

Nov 2008
DrGeroCreation said:
Paul said:

Okay noted. Knowing that though makes it sad to see them sexualized.

Tina's hot and Rentaro isn't living right by not loving on her nor Enju (at least romance will denote him as living right).

Aug 7, 2014 9:17 PM

Aug 2013
@Hoppy She's 10 years old.
Aug 7, 2014 9:19 PM

Nov 2008
DrGeroCreation said:

I assume you haven't watched or read anything from CLAMP or better yet watched Ro-Kyu-Bu.

Aug 7, 2014 9:21 PM

Apr 2012
Hoppy said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I assume you haven't watched or read anything from CLAMP or better yet watched Ro-Kyu-Bu.
He's a white knight, what did you expect?

Autocrat said:
Aug 7, 2014 9:23 PM

Aug 2013
Hoppy said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Correct and I don't plan to except for maybe XXXHolic.
Aug 7, 2014 9:33 PM

Jun 2014
Hoppy said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Ro-Kyu-Bu is awesome. Onto season 2.
Aug 7, 2014 10:02 PM

Oct 2012
Lolis are annoying af

(with a few exceptions)
Aug 7, 2014 10:38 PM

May 2009
I seriously don't get why people hate lolis. They're cute, they're lovable, and sometimes even utterly adorable.

And to all those moralists such as DrGeroCreation, don't you have other, more important things to worry about than how some people enjoy fictional characters?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2014 10:41 PM

Nov 2011
Immahnoob said:
TripleSRank said:

There was never an "improper" or "proper" when talking about language changes, TripleSRank, there is no language that has never borrowed from another or language that has borrowed from another and changed the meaning.

By your logic, those that came first are in the right... Well wrong, the Japanese took from the west, so if we want, Lolicon is now Dinosaurs, again, by your logic.

According to whom? There's no official authority that determines the "rules" when it comes to languages, which is why this argument can't be properly "proved" either way. Still, I will follow along our line of reasoning a bit longer.

To say there is no improper when it comes to "changes" is lazy, for one, and it leads to the deterioration of languages for another. Words are worthless if they have no inherent meaning, or if that meaning can change on a whim. If there was no such thing as "correct", the English language (for example) would be little more than the cesspool that is text messaging shorthand.

To illustrate this, tell me, how much meaning can you get out of "lol" or "wtf"? Sure, there's a general idea of humor or disbelief behind each of them respectively, but the severity, the tone, the connotations- they're all lost. Do you say "lol" only when you laugh? Do you only say it when you smile? Is it only proper if a witty remark has been made, regardless of how humorous it may be? You could claim any of these stances, but there is no "correct" definition. It is a s**** of a word, devoid of any actual meaning. It's garbage that adds no inherent value to speech.

I can use "principal" to mean "principle" all day long, my friends and neighbors can, and people on the internet can, but it won't change the fact that an incorrect word is being used. In a similar sense, I could use "frivolous" to mean "absurd", but that won't change that there's a difference in meaning, though there may be similar ideas behind said words. Taking it even further (using another language), I could say exempli gratia (e.g.) to mean id est (i.e.), but that doesn't make the phrases equivalent.

Lolicon is a portmaneau the Japanese came up with. We didn't create it. Sure, part of the portmaneau came from a Westerner's book title, but that doesn't make "lolicon" any more "Western" of a word. Did the author and general populace of some Western country start using "lolicon" before Japan? If they did, I'm unaware of it. Had we been the ones to start using it first, that would be a different story, but we didn't, so it's not our word. If Japan abandons the word entirely, that changes things. Unless that happens, though, the word means what it means. Only Japan can change that.

(I feel like we're only marginally on-topic. At your discretion, we could take this to our profiles.)
TripleSRankAug 7, 2014 10:45 PM
Aug 7, 2014 11:01 PM

Dec 2012
It seems enlightenment is still needed in this thread. If your heart does not melt and you do not see the light, I hate to break it to you but your soul is gone (probably soul trapped by a cunning dunmer, it happens).

Lolis are beings that transcend any logical understanding. They are the pinnacle of happiness, love, and everything right with this world.
Aug 7, 2014 11:13 PM

Sep 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
It seems enlightenment is still needed in this thread. If your heart does not melt and you do not see the light, I hate to break it to you but your soul is gone (probably soul trapped by a cunning dunmer, it happens).

Lolis are beings that transcend any logical understanding. They are the pinnacle of happiness, love, and everything right with this world.
well said
Aug 7, 2014 11:15 PM

Mar 2014
Ask Touma xD
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Aug 7, 2014 11:24 PM

May 2014
Sexualized loli may make instantly drop whatever I'm watching. Otherwise annoying genki lollies are just that.

Finally I classify cute middle school girls as moe instead.

And just visual appeal and squeaky voices do not make for compelling characters, yes they're fluffy and happy, but since I am a cold hearted bastard, you need more for me to give a fuck about these dolls.
Aug 7, 2014 11:27 PM
Aug 8, 2014 3:11 AM

Mar 2014
Nope.
Fucking nope.

I see a loli and all feelings of sympathy fly out the window.
Aug 8, 2014 3:16 AM

Apr 2014
cute girl > loli.
well theres a few exception....only few.
Aug 8, 2014 7:49 AM

Apr 2012
TripleSRank said:
Immahnoob said:

According to whom? There's no official authority that determines the "rules" when it comes to languages, which is why this argument can't be properly "proved" either way. Still, I will follow along our line of reasoning a bit longer.

To say there is no improper when it comes to "changes" is lazy, for one, and it leads to the deterioration of languages for another. Words are worthless if they have no inherent meaning, or if that meaning can change on a whim. If there was no such thing as "correct", the English language (for example) would be little more than the cesspool that is text messaging shorthand.

To illustrate this, tell me, how much meaning can you get out of "lol" or "wtf"? Sure, there's a general idea of humor or disbelief behind each of them respectively, but the severity, the tone, the connotations- they're all lost. Do you say "lol" only when you laugh? Do you only say it when you smile? Is it only proper if a witty remark has been made, regardless of how humorous it may be? You could claim any of these stances, but there is no "correct" definition. It is a s**** of a word, devoid of any actual meaning. It's garbage that adds no inherent value to speech.

I can use "principal" to mean "principle" all day long, my friends and neighbors can, and people on the internet can, but it won't change the fact that an incorrect word is being used. In a similar sense, I could use "frivolous" to mean "absurd", but that won't change that there's a difference in meaning, though there may be similar ideas behind said words. Taking it even further (using another language), I could say exempli gratia (e.g.) to mean id est (i.e.), but that doesn't make the phrases equivalent.

Lolicon is a portmaneau the Japanese came up with. We didn't create it. Sure, part of the portmaneau came from a Westerner's book title, but that doesn't make "lolicon" any more "Western" of a word. Did the author and general populace of some Western country start using "lolicon" before Japan? If they did, I'm unaware of it. Had we been the ones to start using it first, that would be a different story, but we didn't, so it's not our word. If Japan abandons the word entirely, that changes things. Unless that happens, though, the word means what it means. Only Japan can change that.

(I feel like we're only marginally on-topic. At your discretion, we could take this to our profiles.)

From the standpoint of utility, a language that changes by the needs of the majority that uses it is a lot more beneficial than a language that only benefits those that use it for a more artistic approach, if you get my drift. There might be no rule, but using certain contexts can overall give us an idea of what is more "beneficial".

The problem with your argument on "deterioration" and what is the "correct" use of the language is that the "deterioration" is continuous, and what is "correct" changes by that "deterioration", "to deteriorate" has a meaning of becoming "progressively worse", but in our case it can easily be said that the "deterioration" is simply a "deterioration" of the current system, which is not inherently "bad". A language is meant for communication, that is it's definition, the "complexity" part of the definition though, is hard to prove, rather, I always found languages to have more of a fetish for quantity rather than quality. Anyway, the idea is that as long as the language fulfills its job, the "deterioration" is either a "transformation", simply a change that doesn't have to be "worse" or "better" (or "evolution"; although, in the context of "utility", it would be better if it is easier to pick up and use) or is not actually happening.

The thing is, what you are talking about right now are acronyms, that's a completely different story, and with that I have to go on a tangent. It's quite simple really, because of the nature of the Internet and how it started (mostly text), these acronyms were made for faster use in showing emotions while not stopping the flow of a conversation, for example, writing "laughing out loud" looks more like a shabby narrative rather than what you would exclaim in a real life conversation, because it's the description of an action. Nowadays, "lol" has also changed in meaning, it still remains "laughing out loud", but because of how "laughing" in real life can have more meanings, it can be used in more contexts (we have other acronyms for that, but people tend to forget about them for obvious reasons). "wtf" still remains "wtf" and it has never changed from "What the fuck", the emotions it can display are limited. So yeah, "lol" is surely not something that can add value to speech, simply because it's more of a narrative than something you can add in a conversation (too bad you didn't watch To Aru Majutsu no Index/Railgun, you would have had a good example of what I mean. "Good job desu, says Misaka offering her admiration", there are certain characters that talk that way). Also, how do you define "value" anyway?

Well, I guess it's hard to find examples similar to "loli", anyway, the "preservation" of how the language currently is does not necessarily disprove that the "deterioration" is not inherently "bad", simply because a language that changes too fast (I'll speak always from the "utility" standpoint, if I might add another argument that means I just had an idea or something) would be hard to keep up with and yes, it would be a total mess, but those are extremes for you, you should never speak in dichotomies, do notice though, how a word can simply have more meanings rather than change its meaning, hint: it also has to do with how we incorporate words from another language, and the change does not happen because a handful use the word "wrong", it happens when a majority does that, and "excessively", which warrants the change, the people actually make the language, it was always like this, but with the Internet it's even more so.

Lolita is a Spanish term though, and again, I think I've said it before, it's not necessary that the first one has the monopoly of a word or a language. Or monopoly of anything in general. The meaning can be changed, and it's not necessary that our "lolicon" is the same word as their "lolicon", it's also not necessary that we us the same "lolicon" in this conversation. Anyway, "loli" in itself is not a term that was or is used by the Japanese (might be used right now by certain people there, but before that, it was simply slang (still is)).

Autocrat said:
Aug 8, 2014 8:58 AM

Apr 2014
every Loli in this world better vanish.
Loli doing ecchi things is even worse.
a violent tsundere Loli is the worst.
Aug 8, 2014 9:35 AM

May 2012
People in this thread...

Aug 8, 2014 9:42 AM

Dec 2013
Gay problem > loli problem
deal with it
Aug 8, 2014 10:32 AM

Jun 2014
God, lolis... nasty.

Aug 8, 2014 10:38 AM

Jun 2014
pauperunit said:
I want to see them suffer just like in black bullet
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 2 hours ago

10 by TheBerserker »»
4 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 55 minutes ago

13 by WatchTillTandava »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

27 by Rhaelynne »»
7 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 42 minutes ago

3 by Otakupervert890 »»
8 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

233 by Maumuu »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.