52 votes
Oct 16, 2009 9:00 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Manga: Versailles no Bara

MAL Manga Information Page: Versailles no Bara

MAL Score: 8.35 (scored by 3,719 users)
Ranked: #218
Popularity: #1169

In this thread we will conduct a discussion about the manga. You are free to structure your thoughts at will, both in terms of length and which aspects of the title you consider worth mentioning; and to further civilly discuss issues of contention with other members.

Resurrected You Decide results:

Versailles no Bara (Manga) (04/22)
- Yes: 2
- No: 1
- Haven't Read: 24
~ Abstained: 0

- 66.67%
HiroM_May 1, 2022 2:01 AM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 19, 2009 9:23 AM

Mar 2008
I wish there was a Rose of Versailles for every great historic event...
Oct 19, 2009 12:03 PM

Dec 2007
Ok, so I have tons of things to say about this. My great effort on nominating it every week made fruits. This is possibly my favourite manga (excluding Sailor Moon for the nostalgy reason) and there are many details that only an extended reading can explain.

Unfortunately, I don't have time.

So, I'll be posting - for your great pleasure - the main points I think one should focus on its analysis:

1. Story: it managed to romancize an historical event in a way that we actually believe it happened like that and not how history classes told us.

2. Characters: For further reading, my comments at Oscar's spotlight: Here, here and here. On other characters, Antoinette was - for one of the first times for the average reader - depicted as a serious person, but innocent of the reality. Which, according to history, is what she really was. Her husband Louis is also a very solid character especially in comparison to what media show us about him. Instead of a loser, he is just a man with tied hands. Fersen, the other important element of the main trio (Oscar, Antoinette and him) appears as an alien in the whole story and I think that his personality complements very well the events that came after his presence at the court. Finally, my other fav character, André. A comment was made at Tonkam edition (French) that noticed how he gradually evolves emotionally, as his phisical health degrades. I personally think this is brilliant. All the characters show physical and emotional growth that is rarely seen in shoujo manga, as in manga in general.

3. The art: while it is crowded with flowers and sparkles as anything for 14 year old girls should be, it is highly detailed. Considering it's age, it's also fun to see how the author starts using different media, probably only available to the general public by the middle of the series, and uses it to add more rich patterns and detailed background.

4. The fact that it uses a ton of Greek tragedy elements to illustrate emotional events

5. The fact that the author was an amateur. She was actually an history student that looked at the manga scene and thought the females were not being well depicted. So she created a travesti, the only way found at the time to create a strong female lead. In a way she is a percursor for the shoujo manga of today. Also, the involuntary creator of the prototype that would give birth to the genre that was to be known as yaoi.

6. The author's thanks letter at the end of my edition says: "I am really glad and proud that women, that were girls when I first started Rose of Versailles, write me saying that they are now mothers of girls that are old enough to start reading this kind of manga and that they recommend my work." It survived time and that is always something to take in account.

Now, my dear people, GO READ IT NAO. I know that there are not many scanlations. BUY IT. In French, because it seems even more real. :3
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Oct 19, 2009 12:41 PM

Mar 2008
ladyxzeus said:
In a way she is a percursor for the shoujo manga of today.

I doubt it. Show me some modern shoujo manga with strong female characters.
Oct 21, 2009 2:44 PM

Dec 2007
Dozer said:
ladyxzeus said:

Even though they are rare they exist. xD And are always gems.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Nov 28, 2015 1:56 PM

Mar 2012
Dozer said:
ladyxzeus said:

haaaaaaaaaaa
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.