Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 11, 2014 9:31 AM

Mar 2014
I'm curious as to why Psycho Pass - New Edit Version isn't added to the database although it contains new material! As much as I know, there are lot's of anime recaps added that don't contain new footage at all!

Can someone (preferably a mod) please explain to me why it isn't in the database yet?

Thanks for your attention.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 11, 2014 9:59 AM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
AkibaNightrider, It's not a recap, but a slightly edited rebroadcast of all 22 episodes from the original series analogous to a DVD/BD version/directors cut. We do not create separate entries for rebroadcasts, nor for directors cut versions. While there is might be indeed some scenes extended with 2-3 minutes of new footage per airing, the main plot is not significantly altered by the new additions. Essentially you are watching the same thing over again.

The separate entry for the edited version will not be added, as it doesn't meet the anime database guidelines.

Please set the original series http://myanimelist.net/anime/13601/Psycho-Pass/ to watching or re-watching if you wish to track your progress.
LeknaatJul 18, 2014 11:44 AM
Jul 11, 2014 10:37 AM

Oct 2009
Leknaat said:
While there is might be indeed some scenes extended with 2-3 minutes of new footage per airing,

Then why not add this? 22 episodes with duration of 2 minutes
Jul 11, 2014 10:40 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Thread Moved.
Jul 11, 2014 11:00 AM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
Serhiyko,
LeknaatJul 12, 2014 1:13 PM
Jul 11, 2014 11:03 AM
Aug 2011
Leknaat said:
Now, please move on to other topics, preferably outside the DB modification sub-board.

Am I reading this correctly or did you just very subtly tell him to get the fuck out?

I am appalled.
Jul 11, 2014 11:06 AM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
parfaited, Do you have anything to say/ask regarding the topic itself?
Jul 11, 2014 11:10 AM

Mar 2013
Hi Leknaat, there must be a flaw in the guidelines then. If recap episodes can have their own entry when they have no new footage, then it stands to reason that Psycho-Pass Re-Edit with 2-3 minutes of new scenes in each episode - totalling 44-66 minutes - should have its own entry.

Psycho-Pass Re:Edit cannot be analogous to a DVD/BD version/directors cut because the DVD/BD version of Psycho-Pass does not have these extra scenes.
Jul 11, 2014 11:12 AM

Dec 2013
Seeing as FUNimation has home video rights to this, shouldn't it also get its own page?
It's not like it's an "extended edition" where it's just an extra on an already existing blu-ray disc. It is its own entity.
Jul 11, 2014 11:13 AM

Jul 2013
can you explain how all these recap specials and movies were entered into the database but psycho pass new edit version does not get its own page? because i've watched quite a few of these and the majority do not have any new content in them but are still added to the database. if there are 2 to 3 minutes of new material in psycho pass per airing, that's about 44 minutes of new material which is more than what is in many recap specials. what makes the psycho pass new edit version different?
orchidorkJul 11, 2014 11:17 AM
Jul 11, 2014 11:14 AM
Aug 2011
Leknaat said:
parfaited, Do you have anything to say regarding the topic itself?

Of course you would dodge my question.

Well Leknaat, someone gave you a plausible suggestion and you tell them to leave the board.
Maybe slightly understandable if they were trolling or spamming but I noticed none of that in their comment.

You aren't helpful, you are a disgrace and a sham.

As per the topic, I think it most definitely needs a page.
But you're the one with the powers here and not me. Shit world ain't it?
Jul 11, 2014 11:26 AM

Mar 2013
I just realized something.

So if Psycho-Pass was a bunch of recap episodes with no new footage, I'm guessing a MAL entry would be valid. How does it make sense that that would get a new entry, while the Re:Edit doesn't get one? I'm really confused.
Jul 11, 2014 11:29 AM

Dec 2013
SalemWitch said:

So if Psycho-Pass was a bunch of recap episodes with no new footage, I'm guessing a MAL entry would be valid. How does it make sense that that would get a new entry, while the Re:Edit doesn't get one? I'm really confused.

Shows how corrupt this Sybil system is.
Jul 11, 2014 11:29 AM

Sep 2013
orchidork said:
can you explain how all these recap specials and movies were entered into the database but psycho pass new edit version does not get its own page? because i've watched quite a few of these and the majority do not have any new content in them but are still added to the database. if there are 2 to 3 minutes of new material in psycho pass per airing, that's about 44 minutes of new material which is more than what is in many recap specials. what makes the psycho pass new edit version different?
Exactly.

Please edit the Re:Edit, New Version, New Edit Version or whatever it's called to MAL. It's not like that's so difficult to do anyway.
nightwalkJul 11, 2014 11:38 AM
Time is money, but money won't turn back the clock.
Jul 11, 2014 11:35 AM

Mar 2013
buddy41 said:
SalemWitch said:

Shows how corrupt this Sybil system is.

Ehehehe. Nice one.
Jul 11, 2014 12:10 PM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
SalemWitch, orchidork, Guidelines aren't perfect indeed. Also, inclusion of the official recaps in the database is not based on their content, so don't let it confuse you.
>about 44 minutes, With 11 episodes of re-airing it should theoretically make about 33 minutes, although it is yet to be seen.

If we are to accept the New Edit version then for consistency sake we would have to add all the other previously denied series with altered/extended versions and that is not something that can be easily decided on.

>parfaited, >But you're the one with the powers here and not me
As much as i want to help with the issues it is still impossible to say yes to every request. Simple as that.
LeknaatJul 11, 2014 12:15 PM
Jul 11, 2014 12:26 PM
Mar 2013
it should be added since according to mal rules anything animated that's from japan is an anime and it needs a separate entry since there's new animation in it.
Jul 11, 2014 12:50 PM

Sep 2012
@JD2411: Fananimations are also not added to the database, even if they are made in and by a japanese.
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Jul 11, 2014 1:43 PM
Aug 2011
I fail to see where you telling someone to leave is considered help.

I called you out on it because you have the word Moderator above your avatar and I expect better from anyone that does.
Just because you're a well-worded person doesn't make it less of an asshole response.

This stopped being about Psycho-Pass and how much you can or cannot do.
I don't expect you or anyone else to change the entire database for the sake of one entry but your attitude- at least on this board, needs an overhaul.
Jul 11, 2014 1:51 PM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
parfaited, Please send me a PM regarding the possible overhaul of my attitude for the better, i'll gladly take notes.
Jul 11, 2014 2:02 PM
Aug 2011
Just so you can dodge it just like you've dodged /almost/ everything else i've said here?
I'll gladly decline because that's wasted effort on my part.

Suggestions (of all sorts) fall on deaf ears and i'll be the one taking notes reminding myself never to come here again.

Have a great moderating day!
You deserve it or something.
Jul 11, 2014 2:15 PM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
parfaited, Thank you and welcome anytime. Usually i am in a very good mood and i would still like to get a message from you, sure not now, but maybe later!
Moderators are not a senseless machines and if you happen to find some interactions inappropriate (like in my case, or any other user) the best course of actions would always be is to contact the moderator in question directly first.
LeknaatJul 11, 2014 2:40 PM
Jul 11, 2014 3:04 PM
Oct 2012
I honestly don't understand why this isn't its own MAL page....

Ok so despite the fact there's new footage, it's not getting its own page because the footage doesn't significantly alter the story..... Why does it have to significantly alter the story in the first place???

There is new footage which ADDS more layers to the story and makes it MORE interesting.

For example, in this first episode we get a dialogue from Makishima which we didn't get in the original series. This dialogue gives him more depth in his character and shows a more human side of him. It was very intriguing and gave me a different perspective on his character.

Secondly, near the middle of the episode we get some internal dialogue/flashbacks regarding the state of the sibyl system and his own personal vendetta from Kogami after he was paralyzed by Akane. Once again this shows depth in his character not previously established, at least not that early in the story.

The inclusion of these two new scenes make for better character development, and a more fluid transition of the story. This honestly deserves to have its own page, and it's much more worthy than some other pages that other users posted where those recaps are literally just cut and paste scenes with NO NEW FOOTAGE and nothing valuable to add to the story.
Jul 11, 2014 3:57 PM

Oct 2009
Leknaat said:
Serhiyko, Thank you for this wonderful suggestion. Now, please move on to other topics, preferably outside the Anime DB modification sub-board.

I really appreciate your kind suggestion but with all due respect I'll decline

Leknaat said:
If we are to accept the New Edit version then for consistency sake we would have to add all the other previously denied series with altered/extended versions

Yes. Do it

Leknaat said:
and that is not something that can be easily decided on.

Bureaucracy, bureaucracy everywhere

@Watashi20, so much spoilers.

Mod Edit: Removed insults.
VudisAug 11, 2014 9:02 AM
Jul 11, 2014 4:33 PM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
Serhiyko,
LeknaatJul 11, 2014 4:47 PM
Jul 11, 2014 4:42 PM

Oct 2009
Jul 11, 2014 8:03 PM

Jun 2013
Lol this mod is a joke.
Jul 11, 2014 8:58 PM

Nov 2007
Can I ask how this entry is any different?

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jul 11, 2014 9:22 PM

Oct 2006
Each Psycho-pass episode is 25 mins with 22 episodes.
The extended version has 46:07 mins and there are three episodes, I fail to see why this doesn't deserve an entry and marking PP as re-watch is absurd, how should I know when to mark the episode as re-watch when there's 22 eps over 3.
SakimichiJul 11, 2014 9:25 PM

Jul 11, 2014 11:39 PM

Aug 2013
Amaya-dono said:

It's different because they want it to be.

The mods have no intention of changing their minds, you guy are just beating a dead horse.
Jul 11, 2014 11:46 PM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
Amaya-dono, Probably because more than a half of it is a new material.

Wimwinkle, It is different yes, and it doesn't meet the anime database guidelines. What i do here is simply following them, not my own personal desires. I am sorry if you doesn't see them all that different from other entries in the DB. Some of these things might indeed easily confuse anyone unfamiliar.

Sakimichi, It's two old episodes per one airing. I'm pretty sure it won't be that hard for you to track it with the original entry. Try it.
LeknaatJul 12, 2014 12:08 AM
Jul 12, 2014 1:15 AM

May 2014
Alright I'll ask for a middle ground compromise. If you're not going to make this entry on the database, can we at least make topics about the rebroadcast with the new episode numbers like:
Ex:
Psycho-pass New Edit Version Episode 1 Discussion

In the Psycho-Pass sub-section so we can have discussion on the combined episodes instead of jumping from Ep1 discussion and Ep 2 discussion. At least allow us that, you can argue the semantics whether this deserves a database entry or not, but please allow both new and old viewers to discuss in convenience.
Jul 12, 2014 1:38 AM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
T3hSource, I don't see anything wrong with creating separate threads for each airing of a rebroadcast, as long as they are named and numbered accordingly (like your example) and episode discussion stays in the Psycho-Pass sub-section. Maybe some help from forum moderators to keep the discussion on topic, but yeah, feel free to discuss the extended airings separately.

LeknaatJul 14, 2014 12:44 PM
Jul 13, 2014 2:47 AM

Feb 2011
It seems like MAL mods are being biased as always. It's their decision to not add this despite a vast majority of people wanting it to be added. There was already a page for it, but was deleted due to from what I perceive as a mod being upset that his decision wasn't the most final. Nonetheless thanks for all your hard work.
Jul 13, 2014 2:49 AM
Jul 13, 2014 3:07 AM

Sep 2011
Most of what you posted are either summary and or recaps. This is different than "rebroadcast". Psycho-pass is basically slapping two episodes together for 11 episodes. They're not "recapping" anything, it's just a reairing with some new scenes. The summarys and recaps aren't the same because in recaps and or summaries, you get narrators talking and stuff like that.

No clue on the other few you posted which seem to be just extended vers. But Extended versions =/= Few extra scenes. They're not extending anything in Psycho-pass except adding in some new scenes which will not even be noticeable.
TyrelJul 13, 2014 3:13 AM
Jul 13, 2014 3:23 AM
Nov 2012
Tyrel said:
Most of what you posted are either summary and or recaps. This is different than "rebroadcast". Psycho-pass is basically slapping two episodes together for 11 episodes. They're not "recapping" anything, it's just a reairing with some new scenes. The summarys and recaps aren't the same because in recaps and or summaries, you get narrators talking and stuff like that.

No clue on the other few you posted which seem to be just extended vers. But Extended versions =/= Few extra scenes. They're not extending anything in Psycho-pass except adding in some new scenes which will not even be noticeable.

I get what you're saying about the recaps, but the first three links are full versions of other entries with only a few minutes of extra animation
Jul 13, 2014 3:29 AM

Sep 2011
btym said:
Tyrel said:

I get what you're saying about the recaps, but the first three links are full versions of other entries with only a few minutes of extra animation
Yeah, I saw that and I have no clue. You'd need to wait for the anime moderators.
Jul 13, 2014 3:33 AM

Oct 2009

This one aired before the main series
Besides, there exists yet another version of this episode and the addition of it was denied back in the days, see this thread for more info: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=200179

Tyrel said:
They're not "recapping" anything, it's just a reairing with some new scenes. The summarys and recaps aren't the same because in recaps and or summaries, you get narrators talking and stuff like that.

So why not just add those few extra scenes to the DB by itself, like I suggested? And whether or not it will noticeable is irrelevant and besides, your point has already been proven wrong by Watashi20 above with a lot of spoilers
Jul 13, 2014 3:42 AM

Jan 2011
So at this point has it pretty much been settled that it won't get an entry?
Jul 13, 2014 4:09 AM

Apr 2013
Amaya-dono said:

So, something like this can get an entry ( with only 15 minuets worth of new content) but a re-edit can't?

Each normal episode of psycho-pass is around 25 minutes including op and ed, so episode time is around 23 minutes give or take. If they are putting 22 episodes into 11 one hour long episodes without op and ed that's around 35 minutes or so of content from original series, put into 46 minutes. So at least 10 minutes of new content per episode, which means by the end of it that almost 2 hours worth of new content. i think that's a good enough reason to have its own entry on MAL.
lllllllllJul 13, 2014 4:20 AM
Jul 13, 2014 4:10 AM
Nov 2012
they're 46 minutes long
Jul 13, 2014 4:26 AM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
btym said:

A three minute longer version of Macross Frontier EP1
Re-edited version of an OVA
Compilation of four episodes with less than two minutes of new footage

Yes, thank you for pointing them out. These three entries were also added before the current guidelines were put in place, so it would be a good idea to revise them again.

For the looks of it "Macross Frontier EP1" is more of a pre-airing of the first episode, not really a special. Maybe an already added note in More Info tab of the parent entry should be sufficient.

"Fuyu no Semi: Tokubetsu Henshuuhan" looks like a director's cut DVD release which would not meet the current guidelines.

As for "Ningen Shikkaku: Director's Cut Ban" we do allow such releases:
>Series that are released in their entirety in one format (TV/OVA/ONA) and later compiled for a subsequent theatrical release will have an additional entry for the movie.

But if that just movie version of four epsodes back to back and not a recap movie, then it should also be removed.

ReaperCreeper, You are correct, it won't. As it already been explaned, it's not a recap, but an edited re-broadcast with two old episodes slapped together per airing. Whatever new is added to smoothen the transition between the old episodes is analogous to director's cut versions that are usually released on the DVD's.
LeknaatJul 13, 2014 4:44 AM
Jul 13, 2014 5:17 AM

Jan 2011
I'm seeing it more from the mods point of view anyway at this point. When I wanted it to have it's own entry I thought it was going to have a lot more new content per episode.
Jul 13, 2014 6:08 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
iroonline said:
Amaya-dono said:

So, something like this can get an entry ( with only 15 minuets worth of new content) but a re-edit can't?

Each normal episode of psycho-pass is around 25 minutes including op and ed, so episode time is around 23 minutes give or take. If they are putting 22 episodes into 11 one hour long episodes without op and ed that's around 35 minutes or so of content from original series, put into 46 minutes. So at least 10 minutes of new content per episode, which means by the end of it that almost 2 hours worth of new content. i think that's a good enough reason to have its own entry on MAL.

Wrong.
Each episode is two episodes slapped together, and where the ED would be for the first episode and an OP for the second episode would be, there is a new scene.
There is only 2-3 minutes of "new" scenes per episode. at most, these "new" scenes add up to 22-33 minutes (assuming 11 episodes) of just filler as they do nothing but smooth the transition between episodes.
Jul 13, 2014 6:55 AM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
>to smoothen the transition between the old episodes
To correct my wording. That's based on observations of the first airing. Whichever other scenes they might extend or add in the next episodes probably will not be necessarily placed in the middle or at the very beginning of the airing.

ReaperCreeper, Yes, and that point of view is based on the database guidelines of course, not someone's personal preferences. I hope that doesn't prevent you from enjoying watching the re-broadcast.
LeknaatJul 13, 2014 7:01 AM
Jul 13, 2014 7:35 AM

Apr 2013
Zelot said:
iroonline said:

Each episode is two episodes slapped together, and where the ED would be for the first episode and an OP for the second episode would be, there is a new scene.

Oh right, I wasn't aware that's how they were laying it out. Thanks anyway.
Jul 14, 2014 5:48 AM
May 2012
I bet there'll be more scene from EP3 + EP4 next episodes so I can understand few stuff.
Jul 14, 2014 1:23 PM
Jan 2014
just add it and stop being butt hurt lol , its not going to effect anyone ,,, if you like being perfectionists so much then why not add it if its different from the previous one , and yes its different from the previous one with the new scenes no matter how short they are ,,,
Jul 14, 2014 2:09 PM

Oct 2009
detectivekillua said:
just add it and stop being butt hurt lol , its not going to effect anyone ,,,

It will affect consistency of the DB which means it will affect everyone on the forum.

detectivekillua said:
if you like being perfectionists so much then why not add it if its different from the previous one , and yes its different from the previous one with the new scenes no matter how short they are ,,,

If they like being perfectionists they will do exactly the opposite

detectivekillua said:
and yes its different from the previous one with the new scenes no matter how short they are ,,,

Here's what a former mod said four years ago (in case you missed my link):
freedoleen said:
That's because we generally don't list the director's cut versions of the episodes released on DVD/Bluray. DVD/Bluray releases very, very often contain some additional animation. While tracking them would be cool, to do it properly our current system would have to be changed considerably.

freedoleen said:
Rather than adding new entries, people should be able to choose which version of one entry they have seen. I'm afraid it's not something that will be added anytime soon though. And at this point we don't plan to add new entries for episodes that are a few minutes longer on DVD/Bluray. Not because we don't see any merits in that or we don't want to. It would just be a big mess with how the current system is.

This case isn't that different, really, so it's not something new
SerhiykoJul 14, 2014 2:18 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

699 by SurgingSoulZX »»
8 hours ago

» Since the Yuri on Ice film was canceled but at least a PV was released, would the PV be able to be in the database?

eblf2013 - Yesterday

4 by eblf2013 »»
9 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8721 by Lezoux »»
Yesterday, 3:34 PM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ganji_No_Tensai - Mar 30, 2023

760 by Marids_Gift »»
May 11, 4:30 PM

» Recently found century old anime

Silverlight41 - May 8

3 by Kwanthemaster »»
May 9, 11:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.