How would you rate this anime?
Jun 14, 2014 3:27 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Anime: Kimi ni Todoke

MAL Anime Information Page: Kimi ni Todoke

MAL Score - 8.32 (86563 users)
Ranked - #197
Popularity - #72

Please approach this thread as a critical review of the work in question. Avoid fallacious arguments to the best of your ability while taking these criteria into account.

Story:
Characters:
Art / Animation:
Sound / Music design:

Other production elements.

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions completely.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. Everyone has the right to their opinion, please try to be respectful to each others views and formulate constructive arguments in response to the work being spotlighted.

RESULTS OF THE RESURRECTION POLL
07-09-14

- Yes: 22
- No: 21
- I haven't watched this anime: 36
~ Abstained: 5
~ Ineligible: 0

The club had a misunderstnding of what this anime is about and decided to reject it as a result. - 51.2%
Orion1Jul 12, 2014 3:51 AM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 19, 2014 9:54 PM

Aug 2009
First season great; it's really about Sawako opening up to others rather than a quest to get the guy. Sadly, the second season used everything I hated about the standard high school romance anime.

Still, the show still feels complete without its second season so it doesn't really hold it back.
-Fixing-
Jun 20, 2014 3:02 AM

Nov 2007
Wilio said:
First season great; it's really about Sawako opening up to others rather than a quest to get the guy. Sadly, the second season used everything I hated about the standard high school romance anime.

Still, the show still feels complete without its second season so it doesn't really hold it back.

I think we need to concentrate solely on the first season because that's what is being spotlighted here.

With that in mind, I quite enjoyed this when it first aired. Sounds cliché but it was a breath of fresh air among all the pandering/trope-filled shoujo out there. I thought it was very sweet. If I recall correctly, though, the ending was a bit of a cliffhanger. Not sure if this deserves to be inducted. Anyone else want to chime in with something more substantial? (Running on fumes here)
Jun 20, 2014 7:14 AM

Dec 2007
Quoting my review (after a rushed translation): http://naomeapeteceestudar.blogspot.pt/2011/10/kimi-ni-todoke.html

Sawako is a sad and lonely girl, that is in school and has no friends. Everyone has a very bad image of her and avoid her. Sawako is what I was. In a heart-warming story, we see the evolution of Sawako (or Sadako) as she makes friend sand gets more populer. That was the basic different between us: she has a cute guy that loves her (haha)

I liked this anime very much, both seasons, even though it depressed me a little. I identified a lot with the main character, but it made me sad to see that she was able to do what I couldn't.

Concerning the story, we have something original, in which for once it's the boy that likes the girl and tries to win her over and not the opposite. It's a delicate story, with a very slow progression, but still pleasant. It's prustrating and irritating to see things happening in the worst way possible and not being able to act on it. The characters are very well conceived, even though Sawako has some attitutes that fall a bit on the autism and impossible side. It surprised me her ability to always blame herselfm, which is a very unnatural reaction. Her relationships are realistic and well cared, but her lack of perspicace is not normal at all. Even though there's a perfect characterization of the teenage girl and her relations with the universe around her, from various perspectives (as we have more girls, each with characteristics, dilemmas and problems. And solutions!)

The art is pretty, with an appropriate design. All the characters are "normal". Nobody, except Kurumi, is extraordinarily pretty or special. This makes them, in some way, unique. The colours are beautiful, but there's little detail in the drawings. In a whole, everything has an older and more fragile aspect, which makes it a great visual experience.

The music is delicious, I even searched for the sheets to play it on the piano. Both OPs and EDs are appropriate and good individual pieces.

It was a bittersweet experience. I thought a lot of times about this anime while I was watching it, questioning if "does the kiss come next episode?". The ending was a little disappointing, even though it was logical. A good piece and a good example of the genre, recommendable.

This review does not distinguish the seasons and I gave the overall work a 7. I think our list is lacking on some "trope" shoujo, so I'll probably vote yes.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.