Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Soul Eater NOT!
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 1, 2014 6:24 PM

Nov 2010
DawnJ said:
Simply, no budget in this anime. Why? Because it's moe SoL. I'm not saying moe SoL is bad, but moe SoL takes less budget (unless it's Kyoani), obviously. And this one got even lesser budget.

Also I cannot say overall execution is good too.
It's not a moe SoL. It's a normal comedy action anime.
Jul 1, 2014 6:31 PM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
DawnJ said:
Simply, no budget in this anime. Why? Because it's moe SoL. I'm not saying moe SoL is bad, but moe SoL takes less budget (unless it's Kyoani), obviously. And this one got even lesser budget.

Also I cannot say overall execution is good too.

moe SoL with action. And if it's tagged as comedy, 99% of anime should be tagged as comedy.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 1, 2014 7:08 PM

Jun 2012
Ya know if it wasnt for these threads I wouldnt even know what rating an anime was getting.
Jul 1, 2014 7:18 PM

Nov 2010
DawnJ said:
IntroverTurtle said:

moe SoL with action. And if it's tagged as comedy, 99% of anime should be tagged as comedy.
It's a regular comedy action anime. And not really, while it's not a full on gag anime. Comedy is a nice sized part of it.

dragonlight said:
Ya know if it wasnt for these threads I wouldnt even know what rating an anime was getting.
IKR
Jul 19, 2014 3:35 PM

Jan 2010
Well, one part of low score are Soul Eater fans that hated this show being moe comedy.

Second part is that show itself couldn't stick to one genre, switching around to School, moe SoL, Action, Thriller, Drama, Shojo ai, Shounen, Comedy or fanservice of showing original characters from SE in different perspective.

I'm myself from second part. That's too much of events for 12 episodes, and they are so rushed or cut, that most of it could have been just removed to free more space for detailed development of specific aspects of story.
Jul 20, 2014 4:04 AM

Apr 2011
I just finished it last night and for me just too much Moe and not enough action. I was expecting more and I was disappointed.
Aug 26, 2014 10:26 PM

Jan 2013
Because people on MAL are haters and most of them probably newer even watched it just saw a cover pic and started hating that there is MOE in anime that originally didn't have MOE. Either that or they are hardcore action only fans who just want to see alot of fights and noting else and they complain that this wasn't only action all the way.

For me it was better then original SE and not because of MOE but because I think story was better put together, it was more detaily explained, it was more serious, character had more development, graphic and art style are better, it even has some romance Shoujo-AI non the less and MOE as a bonus.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Aug 29, 2014 11:54 AM

Nov 2013
Soul Eater fans ure giving it low score because it´s not like Soul Eater. Well, what did they expect as the genres are different. I personally enjoyed both Soul Eater and Soul Eater Not.
You all need to watch Nami.

Sep 5, 2014 6:32 AM

Sep 2012
The ending felt weak IMO.
Oct 22, 2014 12:35 AM

Feb 2010
It's a kind of people MAL has.
I give this show an 8, since it was not meant to be perfect, but still is on par with normal anime and not only SE fans can watch it, NOT also has it's own content to expand on SE setting and has a bunch of everything, while not being overly extended, I enjoyed it ep by ep for what it was. But normally, SE fans only see differences from main series and rate NOT low.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Nov 9, 2014 4:36 AM

Aug 2013
I don't get it either. I enjoyed it really much. Of course it's worse than Soul Eater, but it's nowhere near this rating imo.

*edit* I'd not even say, it's worse. Of course it's different, but I actually liked it nearly as much as I liked Soul Eater back then, this rating is just unfair.
laraesJan 26, 2015 1:17 PM
Mar 28, 2016 1:43 AM

Aug 2012
Yeah, I really don't get why this anime is ranked so low. It's a good series and shows how the old characters met and such from the original series.

Before watching this I thought it was going to be terrible and just be filled with moe shit, but that didn't happen. To my surprise it was actually good.
Jan 15, 2017 2:24 AM

Jun 2008
Because it's NOT Soul Eater....

Yeah, I know...it's really stupid the way people think.

People are upset that this anime is literally NOT the original Soul Eater.

The incredible irony was not lost on Soul Eater fags.

I personally liked it a lot.

And I rated it based on this anime alone and NOT based on the original Soul Eater.

Seriously....how fucking retarded are some people around here...
Jul 30, 2017 10:12 PM
Jun 2017
Boredalex said:
Because it's NOT Soul Eater....

Yeah, I know...it's really stupid the way people think.

People are upset that this anime is literally NOT the original Soul Eater.

The incredible irony was not lost on Soul Eater fags.

I personally liked it a lot.

And I rated it based on this anime alone and NOT based on the original Soul Eater.

Seriously....how fucking retarded are some people around here...
Agreed, Im sad to see it drop into the 6s just because people wanted se s2, I honestly was hoping for a second season of this... it was defiantly going somewhere
Jul 30, 2017 10:16 PM
Jul 2018
Because I expected Soul Eater and got moe SoL with cameos of Soul Eater characters. :< maybe I was too hyped and got disappointed.
Jul 30, 2017 10:40 PM

Jul 2017
i wanted a continuation of the actual show...... I don't like how they just made this show that's just a lot of moe and there's no cool fighting scenes. it's just lame hahah

Sep 25, 2017 5:01 AM

Aug 2017
I give 5/10 few minutes ago. While maybe I'm biased because I watch it long time ago, I can't remember much of this anime. To me, it just show how weak the anime is.

If I rewatch this, maybe I'll give this more love. But my prediction, it 6 at best.

I don't think I remember this one right, but I think I watch NOT first then SE because it has less episode. So my comparison is not really about I want it to be SE.
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Oct 5, 2017 10:47 PM

Aug 2016
Maybe because some people was expecting something like Soul Eater, or, the continuation sequel. But it was NOT. Turned out it was a side story from alternative point of view with slice-of-life cgdct yuri-ish genre.
For me it is good for its genre.
(The OP is also catchy.)
8/10
Oct 14, 2017 5:58 PM

May 2016
I would have given an 8/10 if the series had been kept as slice of life but I do not want the series to be mostly Tsugumi (70% at least it is) or to turn it into action and defeat a witch (it took a lot for EAT to do so that some newbies could do it with a training of 7 months)

Dissapointed
Feb 15, 2018 4:22 PM

Aug 2012
I don't get it why people tear this anime apart like garbage?
'Cause if it's not called Soul Eater NOT, it would probably wouldn't be such big of a deal. I mean even the title says it's NOT (the usual) SE.

I mean, yeah, it's almost completely the opposite, but that doesn't mean it's bad?
Also, I see people making remarks about the animation being bad... ? ._.
It's so good and smooth? Also, the (art)style is different, and doesn't fit everyone's taste. Sure... but it's not like it's BAD? For me it is cute-ish and refreshing.

And I will be honest, this anime doesn't completely lie within my (usual) taste of anime, but at least I will watch a couple eps, and then judge if I will drop it or not in case my interest loses or because of anything else.
Feb 15, 2018 4:50 PM

Apr 2011
It has something do with genre.

Code Lyoko, we'll reset it all
Code Lyoko, be there when you call
Code Lyoko, we will stand real tall
Code Lyoko, stronger after all
Apr 1, 2018 4:59 PM
Feb 2017
People are stupid. The title tells you its NOT soul eater.

Nov 20, 2018 3:43 PM
Mar 2018
I guess it's because people compare it to the original series and realize that it's NOT the same. As far as I see it, it's quite a nice slice of life show (even though this genre is NOT included according to MAL) with some good production values, but just NOT the action type from before...
Jun 2, 2019 11:39 AM

Jul 2016
Okay, so I just watched the first episode while keeping this thread in mind and... it's just bullshit.

Even taken as a high school cute-girls-doing-cute-thing kind of show, it's just boring. The characters all grated on my nerves just for being trope-y, especially the stuck-up rich girl. I don't even dislike CGDCTs shows. K-ON! is amazing, but this isn't K-ON! It's Soul Eater, and here's the thing about Soul Eater....

If you're setting something in the Soul Eater universe and in Death City specifically, then I expect it to at least look like Death City and have an aesthetic that matches up. Otherwise, what was the point in making it Soul Eater in the first place? In my head, I'm automatically gonna see it as 'lesser'.

Soul Eater NOT isn't bad because it's not Soul Eater. It's bad because it's lazy
Jul 12, 2019 6:10 AM
Jul 2018
Fans heard you and adjusted it to 6.2. But this does not deserve this low ratings, 7 was actually a pretty accurate. Just an average sell out in the coat tail of Soul Eater. Don't hate it but the story is Soo average that it's boring. It's a prequel btw and we only see characters we don't care about one bit, the main girl was useless from the start to finish.
Jan 5, 2021 11:34 PM

Oct 2017
It's a mediocre action/comedy that dips a toe into SoL. It's a forgettable show in a sea of many.

6 seems low by MAL standards, as MAL's 'average' as a whole tends to trend on the higher side of things, so I get that. The shows not garbage after all...but average , sums it up very well.

Jul 6, 2021 2:43 AM

Nov 2013
People are butthurt it's not like Soul Eater. Despite the obvious NOT in the title. People are dumb.
You all need to watch Nami.

Oct 8, 2021 7:07 PM

Jul 2019
It isn't bad, it is just a pointless spin off. Couldn't get anymore pointless.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Soul Eater NOT! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2014

187 by UnholyAsian »»
Dec 8, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Soul Eater NOT! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2014

129 by Jengmaru »»
Aug 30, 2023 5:48 PM

Poll: » Soul Eater NOT! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2014

73 by MizuhoKamui »»
Mar 14, 2023 9:23 AM

Poll: » Soul Eater NOT! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2014

81 by MizuhoKamui »»
Mar 14, 2023 8:39 AM

Poll: » Soul Eater NOT! Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2014

49 by MizuhoKamui »»
Mar 14, 2023 7:51 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.