Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 20 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2009 2:50 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was an emotional episode, I thought. Kircheis's homecoming was handled very well, the writing and direction conveyed the experience of returning to a place of upbringing in a mature way, tinged with tragedy due to the system of living that is the Empire.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 6, 2010 5:43 AM

Sep 2008
I agree completely...the background was handled perfectly; and I like how kircheis is the focus of this series for the most part since we got to know very little of him from the main series which was filled with a gazillion characters.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 21, 2010 12:39 PM

May 2010
Why must those guys near the Kaiser laugh as well? That was very annoying.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 4, 2010 7:30 PM

Feb 2010
I also agree, this episode was very emotional. Kircheis trip home was well done and servd its purpose.
But I have to say Lunebergs "link"(?) to the Goldenbaum Family came as a surprise.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 24, 2010 6:15 AM

Jun 2009
Great episode, I thought the homecoming was handled really well myself. I was wondering when exactly Reinhard was getting the Lohengramm title, when they mentioned it in the murder mystery arc.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 7, 2011 7:36 AM

Apr 2009
Yey Kircheis again! I felt happy myself when he saw his family again and also the sadness when he realized the toll of the eight years of separation from his parents.

Reinhard sulking like a kid when he came home late was unexpected but also a welcome change of pace to his usual serious demeanor. :D
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 29, 2011 7:12 PM
Jul 2010
Any other series would have had Martin's essay promise turn into a whole rescue arc, saving him from near-execution.

Loved the trip home.
Feb 10, 2012 2:02 AM

May 2009
Loved this episode. Yup, Kircheis's visit home was definitely the highlight. But eight years?!

Grimmelshausen is certainly intriguing.
"When I see him, I can easily imagine how beautiful his sister the Countess must be." This response he gave the kaiser when asked his opinion on Reinhard was clearly just something he said to avoid his real misgivings and the real issue, but man, he could not be more wrong. No, Grim, you can't imagine. The countess's beauty pales enormously compared to Reinhard's. Even the Kaiser's expression says so.
Oh, this reminds me. I've never read the novels, but according to TV Tropes "the novel mentions that Friedrich IV doted on him to the point where some might have suspected he had the hots for him." lol

Friedrich is also pretty cool. I remember in the OVA he mentions being fully aware of Reinhard's ambition, and I thought the man wasn't too bad. But he steps up even more here, with his quip:
"The one that receives the prestige might be the family name, rather than him." *__* This man knows what he's talking about.

Yay for more moeblob Reinhard moments! Pretending to read a book and failing, lol. This has to be one of the most beautiful friendships ever.

tofei said:
Reinhard sulking like a kid when he came home late was unexpected but also a welcome change of pace to his usual serious demeanor. :D
Actually, we've seen a few of those bratty sides of Reinhard in the main OVA too. In small doses, thankfully, but that's also why it's effective, I think. Like, um, when he refused to meet Truniht because he didn't like him. XD The man had a point, but it was hilarious because of how bratty he sounded at the time.
AthenaFeb 10, 2012 2:05 AM
Oct 10, 2013 10:20 AM

Nov 2009
I thought there was an Eisenbach or w/e that one count's family name was in the original series . . . Maybe someone else inherited it I Guess . . . Or I'm misremembering. Anyways surprised that the Kaiser just decided it like that, and that the old admiral agreed (I'm pretty sure that the admiral is aware that Reinhard's ambition is not to become #2 to the Kaiser or anything like that . . .), Perhaps the Kaiser himself didn't just believe that the Goldenbaum dynasty was rotten, but actually sort of helped Reinhard get rid of it.

The bit with Reinhard pouting due to Sieg being late was pretty funny.
Dec 13, 2014 6:36 PM

May 2012
Damn amazing episode! I now do wonder what the last arc (story 9) will offer us from this story but damn this arc of 12 episodes sure was amazing!
Feb 15, 2015 6:48 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Kircheis meeting his family was done in typical no drama, low key LOGH fashion. Very well handled as was his meeting with his childhood friend, Martin. And Grimmelhausen showed once again his shrewdness and intelligence.

Reinhardt pouting almost made him look like a tsundere bishoujo.
FarabeufFeb 15, 2015 6:54 AM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 23, 2016 2:57 AM

Jun 2016
It's interesting to see that the title of Lohengramm got bestowed just like that - simply a whim of the Kaiser's. We know from the original series that he had become disillusioned with his own power, but this is going to point of actively helping Reinhard bring about his/the Empire's downfall. To think Reinhard was helped by the very man he despised and wanted to steal power from, kind of blunts the edge of his revenge, and makes his feat less legendary.
Dec 1, 2016 8:09 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Ends of this nice and large arc, with a genial Yang and a better Reinhard ;)
Dec 20, 2017 4:41 PM

Mar 2016
Arachnophobic said:
It's interesting to see that the title of Lohengramm got bestowed just like that - simply a whim of the Kaiser's. We know from the original series that he had become disillusioned with his own power, but this is going to point of actively helping Reinhard bring about his/the Empire's downfall. To think Reinhard was helped by the very man he despised and wanted to steal power from, kind of blunts the edge of his revenge, and makes his feat less legendary.

More than that, the emperor pretty much held an audition for the role of usurper. Both of the commanders under Grimmelshausen seemed to have the ambition to usurp the throne. It was Grimmelshausen who selected the right candidate, that was his job.
Dec 21, 2017 11:50 AM

Jun 2016
U1111 said:
Arachnophobic said:

More than that, the emperor pretty much held an audition for the role of usurper. Both of the commanders under Grimmelshausen seemed to have the ambition to usurp the throne. It was Grimmelshausen who selected the right candidate, that was his job.

Good catch, I can see Grimmelshausen getting such a role. However, Luneberg getting considered for Kaiser gives me the creeps.
Aug 8, 2018 3:43 PM

Mar 2016
Arachnophobic said:
U1111 said:

Good catch, I can see Grimmelshausen getting such a role. However, Luneberg getting considered for Kaiser gives me the creeps.

Interestingly, I think I've figured out which historical individual Luneberg was based on.

Herman von Luneberg changed sides from FPA to Empire because he found out that he had some distant relation to the Goldenbaum dynasty, so he nurtured his ambition to get to the throne because of that.

Herzog Georg Ludwig von Brunswick-Lüneburg, Elector of Hanover (author did a good job of simplifying names and titles compared to the RL inspirations) was a second cousin to Queen Anne, who died with no heirs, on the basis of which he became King George I of Great Britain.

Just thought it was interesting to note.
Jul 23, 2019 10:30 PM

Feb 2017
Yep, literature is a useless field of study. LoGH with the truth bombs.
Sep 4, 2019 10:41 AM

May 2016
My Fav character gets the most screen time I couldn't ask for more.
Jan 31, 2020 2:43 PM

Nov 2016
Even laid back slice of life-esque episodes are marvelously done in LotGH.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 15, 2020 9:50 AM

Feb 2012
I chuckled when Kircheis is now too tall to fit in his childhood bed.

The Kircheis' neighbours have it real hard.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 22, 2023 12:36 AM

Aug 2018
The true beauty of an episode, specially if you had watched at least part of original LOGH...

We never even think that people like Kircheis still has parents he hasn't seen for quite some time and everything shown here is just great reminder how serious military is and how much time it takes away from you and doesn't let you do things you probably wanted to do for some time.

That Mussel house visit from him towards the end, really felt special and sad at the same time, Kircheis is just such a morally right character with great itegrity and pretty much non existing pride
Apr 1, 2023 5:01 AM

Jul 2017
the best episode to me, I loved it.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Sep 30, 2023 5:10 PM

May 2015
What a cute episode, but also very sad in perspective of the future events. Kircheis and Reinhard truly have such a special friendship.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 17 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

16 by Laplace_kun »»
Apr 8, 7:02 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 23 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 30, 2009

25 by bucciest »»
Dec 13, 2023 8:47 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 21 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

18 by Ten »»
Oct 1, 2023 9:02 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 12 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 28, 2009

35 by Neemesis_2 »»
Mar 30, 2023 2:10 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 11 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 28, 2009

15 by Neemesis_2 »»
Mar 30, 2023 1:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.