Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 23, 2015 6:17 AM

Oct 2014
Salxer said:
This episode is absolutely beautiful, one of my favorites in Mushishi.
I loved what Ginko said to the kid- the part about it being up to him who he will be. His parents' behavior shouldn't dictate the kind of person he is,that's not an excuse; it's completely up to him.
Obviously, I don't think the kid is a brat, spoiled or horrible. He has to work hard to provide for his family but he's probably never been treated with love or appreciation, only looked at as a provider for the family (the first thing the mother had to say after he returned); let's remember that he's just a kid.

I wouldn't be able to say it better. He was a kid. His actions towards the end were more mature for his age.

Also, it shows how kids are immature and being immature are very easily corrupted. In this case the corruption wasn't caused by bad company but by power.

I find the Ibuki's actions understandable.
Mar 3, 2015 8:02 PM

Jun 2011
This is probably my favorite Zoku Shou episode yet, my heart just bleed for the kid when his dad called him ungrateful, yet he continued to whistle.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 7, 2015 11:04 PM

Jan 2014
I love how the boy showed his evil side. That was new :) Really well done. One of my favourite
episodes for sure. The ending with the two opposing kinds of mushi colliding was so cool ^___^
Apr 7, 2015 9:54 PM

Jan 2013
The interaction between Adashino and Ginko was nice ^^
Also I like how Ginko remained so calm with all those Yobiko around him.
The kid must have had a horrible childhood if he's willing to just let his mother die.
Glad he finally decided to just leave on his own though.
May 8, 2015 1:38 PM
Dec 2011
The kid made a wise decision by not defiling his hands with his mother blood, plus left 'em and living a better life for his ownself.
Good episode as always.
Jun 1, 2015 10:33 PM
Nov 2014
Solid episode, I don't like Ibuki though. What a selfish bastard until he got motivated by Ginko-san.
Jun 2, 2015 6:27 PM

Feb 2015
Great episode and i find the boy's actions understandable although he went a bit to far.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 15, 2015 6:53 AM

Jul 2014
Getting real sick and tired of your shit, Ibuki.

5/5
D-ohnutsJun 15, 2015 6:57 AM
Aug 5, 2015 2:42 PM

Jan 2014
Ginko: Don't whistle after dark. Something bad will happen.

Ibuki: *immediately whistles after dark*

I like how Ginko didn't attempt to alter the course of Ibuki's life. Just imparts his wisdom and lets Ibuki choose what kind of man he wants to be.
GanbatteBakemonoAug 5, 2015 2:48 PM
Oct 17, 2015 1:55 AM

Aug 2008
I like how the wind is the birds and they eat the worms.
Mar 13, 2016 5:51 AM

Dec 2010
Wow, this story's MC was something else.
Jul 3, 2016 4:16 PM

Jul 2013
Even in the end the kid kept using the birds for selfish reasons, I don't think Ginko was pleased when he saw it. Using the birds like that when there was no wind might end up comming back to him.
Aug 26, 2016 1:32 AM

Mar 2012
The kid was a brat. He screwed over his boat by ignoring Ginko's advice (luckily the whole crew survived), screwed over his family by bringing those Mushi to his home plus getting the mother sick, almost killed the mother by whistling at night on purpose after Ginko got rid of the Mushi, wrecked their house with the wind mushi and then left them right after.

You can say all you want about the parents being mean and what not but from what I saw in this episode they were perfectly reasonable. His mother telling him to sell the gift back to a pawn shop was a logical thing to do since the guy lost his job so they would be in need of money for food and his father scolding him while he was whistling was also a reasonable reaction since they couldn't see mushi and had no idea of their son's ability. If you saw your son whistling and chilling on a tree while your wife was bedridden I'm pretty sure you'd get pissed off as well.

Even if they were actually the biggest pos off-screen, what the kid did was still terrible since he didn't seem to give a dam about his 3 young siblings. The snake mushi could have made them sick as well eventually and now their home is wrecked.
Oct 12, 2016 9:48 PM

Feb 2009
The mini-tornado scene in the house was amazing!
Nov 6, 2016 11:43 AM

May 2010
This idiot. He got told to not whistle and he whistled anyway.

Adashino tho lmao. He was trying to be so careful yet Ginko was watching it all, and then he flinches and goes "yo!" I love their relationship.

This guy was the most annoying in the whole series. If you care that much about the gift then why not tell her that he bought for her. But nah he was just "I have only this" He never said it's for you or anything. When told to sell it, he just sulked more and more. How much of a kid you are? People who are trying to justify his 'maturity' are being too soft. Just because he 'spared' her life at the end doesn't mean he's suddenly very gentle or caring. There was lack of communication, things could be better if he tried. One of my least favorite episode even tho it still had some enticing mushi.
TragicRomanceNov 6, 2016 11:51 AM
Nov 29, 2016 1:50 AM

Jan 2012
lampshades120 said:
Why can't Mushishi just go on forever? I am very anxious that there are only 4 episodes left.

true that , like detective Conan or one piece

that would a be a big dream

ot : Ginko's philosophical reasoning with Ibuki about his conducts was nice

Mushi fighting each other.

Dec 8, 2016 9:57 AM

Nov 2011
About this family problem.. Both parties are wrong.. But the major difference is Ibuki is still an adolescent boy, where his step mother is a grown woman.. I am not saying it's okay for a young man to do a bad thing, but it is understandable remember how unstable people in that age is..
In conclusion, that mother is not a good mother ... In my opinion, when there is a bad communication about parents and kid, major responsibility to fix things is in parents, if you don't do that, I will say you are not a good parent..

But this episode again show us how well crafted dramas in Mushishi is.. And Ginko is always a great man ...
Jim_HeartDec 8, 2016 10:04 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Feb 21, 2017 5:10 PM

Dec 2016
Sperms, sperms everywhere.

BTW, LMAO at the ending.. His stepmother had it coming.
Mar 21, 2017 1:25 PM

Apr 2014
I felt bad for the son because when he came home his step mother didn't seem rejoiced that he was alive and all she seemed to care about was that since his ship sank he wont be getting paid. I don't think he should have done that to his family but that's probably what happens when a person is hurting sometimes they just want to see other hurts.
Let’s say I posed this question to you: “Can all human souls be bought with money or not?” Now remember, the keyword here is “all”. The answer is “There are times when you can buy them, and other times, not,” right? The human being… sometimes he’ll uphold his pride and conscience even if he’s offered ten billion yen, and other times he’ll murder someone over one yen. ~Izaya Ohira (Durarara)
Aug 5, 2017 10:18 AM

Jul 2015
A bit weaker story compared to the usual IMO, although the comedy with Adahino was great, not to mention when Ginko does his menacing stare.
Nov 5, 2018 7:23 AM

Oct 2012
man id be mad too if my son spent our food money on some flower broach
Nov 20, 2018 2:27 PM

May 2013
I was mad about Ibuki fucking things up, but his family didn't really appreciate him, so I get it ;/ It's a shame.

Looks like he stole that flower figurine for his mom, but she didn't care for it, which was sad :( Glad he sailed away.
Mar 22, 2019 10:23 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
windy episode .-.

Jul 10, 2019 7:46 AM
Apr 2016
A default person, with no Mushi inside, can control other Mushi via natural ability. Interesting. He went on and did it - his fault for ignoring Ginko's warning. He was rather rash at the end, he could've hurt them..
Oct 7, 2019 6:41 AM

Sep 2018
The narrative traces in a certain sense the same steps seen in the previous episode, but despite having more than one common denominator, the episoid, the final goal reached in history and the teachings conveyed that derive from it are different. Overall it's another good episode, which deserves top marks.
Dec 26, 2019 1:20 PM

May 2016
Acropyre said:
I'm a few day behind but man, this episode is truly remarkable.
The episode explained how people changed when entrusted with power. For worse or for better. Only them can make the choices of which path they want to follow.

Good stuff good stuff
well said, that guy luckily survived.
Apr 9, 2020 9:30 AM

Dec 2019
Snap they destroyed the freaking house so easily.
                                                         🖤   

May 7, 2020 1:07 PM

Jan 2019
Good episode, Ibuki was an interesting fellow. Although I don't think trying to kill his mother was a good idea, I still understand when he came from.

His stepmother was a shitty person, she didn't even cared if he was safe or not, only that his ship sinked and therefore wouldn't bring money to the house. There's also the fact that when he gave her the present she treated it like trash and asked him to change it for money. No wonder he didn't liked her, would you like someone who only treats you as a bank?

I'm glad that in the end he left his family on their own, sad for the little kids, but both his father and his stepmother didn't deserved a single cent from him.
Jun 3, 2020 9:25 PM

Aug 2019
God what a happy but also sad episode. I love these kinda episode because they always have some weird lesson behind them. The guy had an ability that was incredibly rare and powerful that no one else had, yet he didn't understand the full potential of what he could do and took it very much for granted.
He didn't take the warnings seriously, letting the excitement and happiness he was in take over and that was his downfall that toppled his life that was on a one way trip to success.
I wish they kinda explained what was up with his family a bit more, but from what i could gather maybe he wanted to build better relations with his step-mom but she often neglected it? Or that family actually adopted him and aren't his real parents? Anyway his "farewell" i guess had a really strong impact in my opinion, that he tried to make his own life as a sailor to maybe make his parents proud but in the end they just still neglected and looked down on him.
Ahhh i guess you could say this episode was like a "With great power comes great responsibility" or something like that i guess
Jul 29, 2020 7:36 PM

Aug 2018
good episode, didn't like that kid being such an ass to his parents though

Oct 28, 2020 8:12 AM

Aug 2018
Very likable episode, the mushi themselves seemed to have been very big trouble but Ginko as always managed to solve it
Jan 11, 2021 10:06 PM
Mar 2019
I kinda can relate with the boy in some ways. I feel like I have potential in some areas, but my parents never really appreciate everything that I've done. So my adult life turns out kinda shitty because I've never really had any confidence to do things.

My advice for those of you who read this: Don't treat your children as a property. They are a human being with their own needs and feelings, just like Mushi. Treat them as you want your parents to treat yourself as a kid.
May 4, 2021 3:52 PM

Jan 2020
Mushi did nothing wrong, lol
May 4, 2021 3:53 PM

Jan 2020
Kid is a bit angry due to unappreciation he received but I think trying to kill them is a bit too mean
May 4, 2021 3:56 PM

Jan 2020
Although Ginko already lead the snake mushi to their home, I guess that kid just want to have a revenge on those snake mushi by calling them again only to be eaten by the Torikaze since those snake mushi causes disaster on him.
May 4, 2021 3:59 PM

Jan 2020
Kokoro_Kotashima said:

Looks like he stole that flower figurine for his mom, but she didn't care for it, which was sad :( Glad he sailed away.

Now that you said it, I just realized it is possible he didn't buy it.
Jul 13, 2021 8:03 AM

Jan 2021
Sorry, I just suddenly thought... maybe for people who can't see the mushi, when they saw Ginko whistling through the rock to get the mushi out of the house it must have looked a little "weird" and... funny. Because in the middle of the quiet atmosphere (and worried because the wife/mother was sick) they could only be silent while watching Ginko whistle through the rock.

I really liked the moment where the Torikaze started flying and storming Ibuki's house. Ibuki saved his mother, but at the same time destroyed his house. It was like he loved his mother, but at the same time he wanted to show his pain.

Feb 16, 2022 12:16 PM
Nov 2020
MAN THESE KIND OF PARENT PISS ME OFF SO MUCH
Feb 1, 2023 4:03 PM

Apr 2019
Very interesting episode. Realistic portrayal of the son.

"𝙇𝙤𝙣𝙜𝙞𝙣𝙜... 𝙞𝙢𝙥𝙪𝙧𝙞𝙩𝙮... 𝙟𝙤𝙮... 𝙥𝙖𝙞𝙣... 𝙄 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙘𝙖𝙨𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙢 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙙𝙚. 𝙋𝙞𝙘𝙠 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙢 𝙪𝙥 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙘𝙖𝙧𝙧𝙮 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙢 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪. 𝘼𝙡𝙡 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙜𝙖𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧... 𝙞𝙨 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙫𝙖𝙡𝙪𝙚."
Apr 2, 2023 3:37 PM

Mar 2016
Why didn't Ginko tell him exactly what would happen? Why be mysterious?
Jul 2, 2023 5:31 PM
Feb 2020
"I told you not to whistle at night" My brother in Christ, you were the one that got the idea into his head.
Dec 2, 2023 5:14 AM

Jun 2007
bs episode about a murderous idiot...
see you, space cowperson . . .
Dec 6, 2023 7:30 AM

May 2019
Interesting Mushi those ones. I feel bad for the guy, he was just excited!
Jan 16, 2:45 AM

Jun 2015
Ouch... This episode hit the spot in my heart. Imagine having a family who treats you like an outsider. Calling you useless, deadweight, or ungrateful. But when this child actually tries to be good, buy a nice gift to show his gratitude to his parent, then something goes wrong, and they still blame you for that.

You can disagree with the boy here, calling him messed up because he wishes for his step-mother's death. But can you really blame him? After working hard on the sea, finally he thinks that he won't be useless anymore to his family, something goes wrong, he comes home, the mother basically calling him useless for buying "meaningless" gift, and the father calling him ungrateful for the boy seeminlgy appear carefree of the mother's illness while he actually chooses to help her.

Wishing someone's death is wrong. But again, can you really blame the boy here? I think he takes the best solution, he acts on his pain in a much better way by destroying the house, healing his mother, left his "meaningless" gift according to his family, and head out by himself.

The family does not deserve the boy, and the boy should not spend any more time and effort to try and please the family. For the boy, it's a good riddance.
Mar 12, 3:55 PM

Jul 2015
This episode featured stunning scenery and vibrant colors.

Mar 23, 5:09 AM
Sep 2017
Man, all these holes. Is this some kind of torture? I really get uncomfortable seeing that much holes in every place. Anyway, good episode as usual.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2014

157 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 15, 5:28 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2014

175 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 2, 1:25 PM

» Is it just me?

Jundal - Dec 29, 2023

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Jan 9, 4:56 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2014

93 by skatensleep »»
Dec 6, 2023 8:30 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 23, 2014

116 by skatensleep »»
Dec 6, 2023 7:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.