Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 28, 2014 12:16 PM

Sep 2010
The ending was trippy as shit. Poor Shiro I hope she can find her brother soon the series won't be as fun without him.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 28, 2014 12:18 PM

Aug 2012
Sora's personality disorder certainly is more evident this time. Nobody could just lightly bet an entire race's well being without thinking of the consequences, even as confident as he is. His reaction to Steph asking how he would take responsibility says it all.
May 28, 2014 12:21 PM
Jul 2018
This part was adapted so good I must say I liked it more in the anime than in the novel!! Superb adaptation by Mad House!! Next is Volume 3!!
May 28, 2014 12:26 PM

Nov 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
DreamingBeats said:
he clearly said orera wa (if you're talking about when Sora talks with Shiro before disappearing)

No not the last one, the fourth one.

The first one is "ore wa", "I believe in you"
The second one is definitely "orera wa" "We are one".
The third one is definitely "orera wa" "We are bound by the promise"
The fifth one about "we win games before they start" is "orera wa".

The fourth one though I can't hear. I can hear the "ore" and the "wa" but not the "ra" which is what is needed to change I to we. The "ra" is cut out by the interference. At least it is to me, but that could be just me.

listened again and, from what i heard, he does say ''orera wa''
it also makes sense that he'd say ''orera wa'' rather than ''ore wa'' based on the context
- he's talking about him and Shiro
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
May 28, 2014 12:34 PM

Sep 2013
The rivalry between the grandpa and Jibril was funny :3

So their game is a video game :P

That ending and ED Sora just vanished, if I had to guess where he went I would say back to earth to get some help or something.
May 28, 2014 12:35 PM

Dec 2011
Hahaha. Love the Detective Conan and Yugioh reference. I really wonder what happened now that "Sora" isn't here... and Shiro might be getting back something that was lost next episode? Can't wait to see.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2014 12:36 PM
Oct 2012
DreamingBeats said:
it also makes sense that he'd say ''orera wa'' rather than ''ore wa'' based on the context

Not necessarily. Remember that last episode Sora said that Shiro was "the real one", which implied that he did not view himself as being real (rather that the was empty), so in this context, that he specifically said "I am not a Shounen Manga hero" would make a good deal of sense since he is sending the person he does think is a hero into battle.

I will admit that I want this to be true, that this is a clue that will become important later because it would be I think pretty nifty writing, and since I honestly cannot hear it, I made the guess there was some meaning to it. But if you also heard it then that is two strikes against me.
May 28, 2014 12:38 PM

Nov 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
DreamingBeats said:

Not necessarily. Remember that last episode Sora said that Shiro was "the real one", which implied that he did not view himself as being real (rather that the was empty), so in this context, that he specifically said "I am not a Shounen Manga hero" would make a good deal of sense since he is sending the person he does think is a hero into battle.

I will admit that I want this to be true, that this is a clue that will become important later because it would be I think pretty nifty writing, and since I honestly cannot hear it, I made the guess there was some meaning to it. But if you also heard it then that is two strikes against me.

try watching the same scene several times, it should be clear then
(i did this to confirm my hearing was not being biased)

edit: why is Shiro surprised that Sora left? i thought they understood each other, but Shiro has no clue where Sora went..
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

May 28, 2014 12:40 PM

Jul 2013
I have to declare this as the best anime of the season.
May 28, 2014 12:46 PM

Apr 2014
Well that definitely messed with my head.
May 28, 2014 12:49 PM

Jul 2013
Raycee said:
I have to declare this as the best anime of the season.

i thought this was pretty much obvious now? o_o
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
May 28, 2014 12:50 PM

Apr 2014
ending gave me Steins Gate the movie vibes... now Im curious what happend to Sora.
May 28, 2014 12:53 PM

Nov 2010
F...that ending is disturbing.. It's like from a horror movie. I was so scared looking at Shiro. Very nice animation though.
May 28, 2014 12:53 PM

May 2012
Holy shit that ending I AM NOT OKAY.
May 28, 2014 1:02 PM

May 2012
haha Yu gi Oh and Hyouka reference there :p

“They stood together in a false intimacy, a nervous contact. And he was in love with her.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

May 28, 2014 1:04 PM
Oct 2011
i have read the Light novel but man that ending they nailed it.
SO where are the complainers i haven't seen them around at all. This show is all hype right?
May 28, 2014 1:09 PM
Mar 2013
I never wait for anime to air every week like this. this is first anime that made me to use f5 key.

I want time machine.
May 28, 2014 1:10 PM

Apr 2014
this is so awesome!! can't wait for the next episode
but where did sora go??
poor shiro
May 28, 2014 1:13 PM
Jul 2012
Wait a second... I already had a weird feeling when the camera zoomed in or that ds looking device, showing the date [19th].

From my experiences of watching anime and playing VNs, time always plays a huge role in the plot, a clear example would be Steins'Gate.

If you looked closely to the epilogue after the ED, the phone after Shiro checked her contact list shows that it is the [21st]. What happened on the 20th? Why did she have no memories on that day? To me, it feels like she just slept through the 20th, and something of course happened on that day. I wonder what happened??

edit: think Sora is in a alternative timeline? or the world Shiro is in is actually fake? I mean it is possible that she is trapped in a world simulation 'game' of some sort, seeing the kedonomini race is technological advanced, and maybe when the moment that she escapes is when the game clears... That could explain Sora's disappearance into thin air, because he might have just [logged out].
awilson338May 28, 2014 1:19 PM
May 28, 2014 1:14 PM

Nov 2011
nyancat2506 said:
haha Yu gi Oh and Hyouka reference there :p

pretty sure they're not. it was shown in a flash-back in episode 7... i think

Rawrdaysgoby said:
SO where are the complainers i haven't seen them around at all. This show is all hype right?

is this show hyped? yes, arguably the most hyped series of this season
as a "complainer", i actually enjoyed this particular episode. bonus points for not adding eye-rolling fan-service like some previous episodes...

edit: at awilson338: nice catch..!

May 28, 2014 1:19 PM

Nov 2008
Series continues to impress me this was very well done ~
May 28, 2014 1:20 PM

Jul 2013
Simply epic! I knew Sora would eventually figure out that the mind reading was fake, but I wouldn't have guessed that something like video games would be their secret weapon.

Poor Shiro! I wonder what happened? Sora went off somewhere to help prepare for the game against the Warbeasts, I assume? Is Shiro in an alternate timeline or something? Someone clue me in on this because I'm a little lost.

This anime continues to be amazing. I'm holding off on reading the Light Novel until the show is finished but damn its getting hard not to read it.
May 28, 2014 1:21 PM
Jul 2012
I get the time change, but I don't get how the orera / ore / orewa speech have to do with anything about Sora's disappearance... The only thing that changes with the different pronunciations is "I" to "We" right? Or is there some other word play that I do not know of...
May 28, 2014 1:22 PM

Oct 2012
Holy crap that cliffhanger, this has really become my favorite this season.

That was a really impressive episode.
May 28, 2014 1:25 PM
Feb 2014
awilson338 said:
Wait a second... I already had a weird feeling when the camera zoomed in or that ds looking device, showing the date [19th].

From my experiences of watching anime and playing VNs, time always plays a huge role in the plot, a clear example would be Steins'Gate.

If you looked closely to the epilogue after the ED, the phone after Shiro checked her contact list shows that it is the [21st]. What happened on the 20th? Why did she have no memories on that day? To me, it feels like she just slept through the 20th, and something of course happened on that day. I wonder what happened??

edit: think Sora is in a alternative timeline? or the world Shiro is in is actually fake? I mean it is possible that she is trapped in a world simulation 'game' of some sort, seeing the kedonomini race is technological advanced, and maybe when the moment that she escapes is when the game clears... That could explain Sora's disappearance into thin air, because he might have just [logged out].

*Clap, Clap,Clap,...*

We are on the beginning to the way to the truth :D

No really, the question is: what happened at the 20th?

Well this is the second thing the anime does better than the LN ;-) But that is far easier to do if you see it animated than if you can only read it.
May 28, 2014 1:27 PM

Jan 2014
Near end... Tv starts blinking gray and sound distorts.. Me: is my tv dying? D:
Next episode can't come soon enough, i have to know why and how Sora has been erased!
May 28, 2014 1:28 PM
Oct 2012
awilson338 said:
I get the time change, but I don't get how the orera / ore / orewa speech have to do with anything about Sora's disappearance... The only thing that changes with the different pronunciations is "I" to "We" right? Or is there some other word play that I do not know of...

Sora said those 5 things because they were a clue to Shiro for what is coming, so if there was some confusion over a "i" or "we", that would suggest that the 4th statement was the biggest clue and that it hinged on the difference between those two words. But even if there is no ambiguity with that one word, what he said were clues that will have future implications.

Having not read the novels I have no idea how this is going to work out, I have some guesses:
But right now I don't care if I am right or wrong, this ending was interesting, and I can't wait to see what is going to happen next.
May 28, 2014 1:32 PM
Jul 2012
So, what you are saying is that the line of "... not the heroes of a shonen manga" is crucial to solve this mystery? Does that mean that Shiro shouldn't act like she's the main character even if she's in a pinch?

That means she should be like the opposite of it? Sora wants her to think carefully of her actions...? He is warning her that every action she decides will affect her future...? o_O
May 28, 2014 1:36 PM

Jun 2008
Takuan_Soho said:

You might be a tad too hung up on one idea... Try thinking a bit outside your box.

DreamingBeats said:
edit: why is Shiro surprised that Sora left? i thought they understood each other, but Shiro has no clue where Sora went..

Note, that Sora also appeared to talk with someone noone saw.
Also, Shiro can't make heads and tails of how Sora thinks in strategy games, because he's always being "sneaky", meaning, that their thinking isn't the same... which has been said several times. (you know, the two of them making the perfect gamer, because they both have the thing the other is weak at).

Also, it might be, that something similar happened to Shiro, that was going on with the elves in their games againts the Eastern Union.

GENUINE SPOILER ALERT!
Hey Caleb, check out Takuan's guess
GreenDragMay 28, 2014 1:43 PM
May 28, 2014 1:40 PM
Mar 2013
I want time machine.

this is only anime that force me to use f5.
May 28, 2014 1:42 PM
Oct 2012
awilson338 said:
So, what you are saying is that the line of "... not the heroes of a shonen manga" is crucial to solve this mystery? Does that mean that Shiro shouldn't act like she's the main character even if she's in a pinch?

That means she should be like the opposite of it? Sora wants her to think carefully of her actions...? He is warning her that every action she decides will affect her future...? o_O

Well it would have been the difference between "I am not a hero of a shounen manga" and "we are not a hero of a shounen manga".

I had this nice little theory of what will happen to Shiro in the next episode (i.e. related to what game she is playing) for which this difference would have been crucial.

But theories rise and fall on facts, and if he did say orera wa, then my theory just got butchered.
May 28, 2014 1:46 PM
Feb 2009
holy sht this show is definitely my favorite this season!!
May 28, 2014 1:46 PM
Jul 2012
So is this anime one of the rare few that the animation is actually better than the light novels? XD Good job No game no life!
May 28, 2014 1:48 PM
Feb 2014
GreenDrag said:
Caleb8980 said:
GreenDrag said:

Ferax said:
great ep and holy cow that ED
i cant wait a week for the next ep i want the ep now

and i dont want to read the LN i dont want spoilers D:

You can read the Novels up until the end of the second Volume, for that is exactly, where the anime is.

Come on, don't tease him so much xD
I wanted to write the same thing after his first post but thought it would be too mean to do that.

Spoiler for GreenDrag to read:

I'm not teasing him. He seems like a guy, who like food-for-thought, so I'm feeding him with 7-course meals...

May 28, 2014 1:51 PM
Jul 2012
But if that is so, Takuan, what would be the requirement to clear this game? There has to be an ending. In the preview of the next episode, we see that Shiro is running in a corridor... dungeon? Shonen type game right? it has to be a dungeon, and they fight...? That does not sound like a fair game though, so I don't think Shiro is in a Shonen type game.

but we both agree that Shiro is most probably in a virtual simulated world right?
May 28, 2014 1:52 PM

Oct 2007
awilson338 said:
So is this anime one of the rare few that the animation is actually better than the light novels? XD Good job No game no life!

Generally all anime have better animation than novels with static pictures so No Game No Life isn't exactly rare in that regard lol
May 28, 2014 1:53 PM
Jul 2012
Fine, i mean... a better version of retelling the story? I think I worded it right.
May 28, 2014 1:55 PM

Jun 2008
Caleb8980 said:

talk about thinking outside the box... I came up with a good dozen way I could interpret the 'sb', but the word somebody eluded me like the other side of the moon...
Anyways, it's fun seeing people guessing what's going on ^^
Seeing all the ideas, how someone is right (or wrong)... gives me a weird sense of superiority, that I'm honestly a bit ashamed of...

awilson338 said:
Fine, i mean... a better version of retelling the story? I think I worded it right.

I wouldn't say that. The novels have certain bits of world building, that I'm dearly missing, there, Steph is more than just a butt-monkey... well, she's still nothing more than a very, very useful butt-monkey, but still... She doesn't end up being a Wattson.

Rambling aside, the point is, that in my opinion, the anime had to cut a little bit too much, leaving the novels slightly superior, if you want the background to be better polished.
GreenDragMay 28, 2014 2:00 PM
May 28, 2014 1:57 PM
Oct 2012
awilson338 said:
But if that is so, Takuan, what would be the requirement to clear this game? There has to be an ending. In the preview of the next episode, we see that Shiro is running in a corridor... dungeon? Shonen type game right? it has to be a dungeon, and they fight...? That does not sound like a fair game though, so I don't think Shiro is in a Shonen type game.

but we both agree that Shiro is most probably in a virtual simulated world right?

Most likely, that would explain why the video this episode started to look like jamming. I had originally thought it was an illusion, but VR fits the evidence the show gave better.

As for what the clear is:
May 28, 2014 1:58 PM
Oct 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
awilson338 said:

Generally all anime have better animation than novels with static pictures so No Game No Life isn't exactly rare in that regard lol

Gotta hand it to you, funniest responses I have read in a long while.
May 28, 2014 1:59 PM
Oct 2012
GreenDrag said:
Seeing all the ideas, how someone is right (or wrong)... gives me a weird sense of superiority, that I'm honestly a bit ashamed of...

I have you know that this is why everyone hated Kirito. You.....you..... Beater!!!
May 28, 2014 2:01 PM

Nov 2013
This was better than the last episode. Hell there wasn't even that much fanservice this time around, that's a +1 from me.
Dat cliff hanger though.. I hope the show doesn't make a lame comeback after this. I have a feeling this show might have a terrible ending, noway are 12 episodes going to be enough.
Art is awesome as always :D
May 28, 2014 2:03 PM
Feb 2014
awilson338 said:

Well I wouldn't say better, as e. g. they dropped the ball by excluding the rule concerning about what to do when your gf or wife or whatever bleeds when she loses her virginity (if she does that at all ;-)) as no bloodshed is allowed by Oath #1

But this would be around equal which is already far better than most LN animations.

@GreenDrag xD
well I know that feeling and yes I must admit I feel a bit the same but well I try my best not to succumb to it ^^
May 28, 2014 2:05 PM
Feb 2014
Can I get a spoiler for this? I really enjoy how Sora and Shiro's [Blank] shtick has gone so far and I'd like to know if they're going to go the way of 400 other shounen manga/anime and make them lose just to create dramatic tension... I like seeing how they win, not whether they win or lose.
May 28, 2014 2:18 PM

Nov 2012
They just pulled a Steins;Gate and erased Sora's existence.
May 28, 2014 2:26 PM

Apr 2013
I consider the ending abuse... how am I suppose to wait till next week with all these questions! :(
May 28, 2014 2:36 PM

Apr 2010
Well uh, that went in a completely unexpected way.

Fucking cliffhangers. I hate them so much.
May 28, 2014 2:39 PM

Jul 2013
why did he disapear?
i guess they are going to win this he could not be responsable for all those deaths xD
this episode was low on fanservice btw

this show will not be complete with 12 episodes
May 28, 2014 2:44 PM
Aug 2008
can somebody explain to me like im 5 years old? about the story in this episode?

im super confused about how sora says that its baffling no one ever understand the game and it make him sure "tet the good" feel bored. etc...
May 28, 2014 2:47 PM
Oct 2012
orangpelupa said:
can somebody explain to me like im 5 years old? about the story in this episode?

im super confused about how sora says that its baffling no one ever understand the game and it make him sure "tet the good" feel bored. etc...

To Steph and Jibiriru the "goal" of the games was for the various races to fight each other and defeat the other races. Even the Old Deus had the same mindset when they appeared at the start of episode 5.

That isn't what Tet had in mind.

Sora and Shiro get it, it was hinted at during the episode Tet visited them, and the reason why Shiro said "poor Tet" is that no one understood what Tet really wanted.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1020 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 5:11 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

476 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 2:47 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

622 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 21, 5:21 PM

» Your wishes for this april fool

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 31

16 by sloth848 »»
Apr 19, 8:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.