Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Dec 5, 2019 6:03 PM
Apr 2016
I was very worried that we'd get an unsatisfying ending, I'm very happy it turned out to be a happy one. The whole conversation was beautiful and sweet at the end, enjoyed every second of it! The kiss was nice, too.

Great show, but sad that there's no third season.
Dec 18, 2019 4:47 AM

Jun 2015
I will certainly cherish the moment when the third season is rising up through the dawn. But it seems like the darkness of night goes even darker. A decade mark will soon pass. Hope is just a mere words at this point. Having another sequel will leave the word 'miracle' to no meaning.

I'm trying to speak with poetic-like tone, though I failed miserably, haha...
Dec 28, 2019 10:46 AM

Sep 2019
I'm exactly not happy about the ending. It didn't surprised me I was expecting a lot from this ending so I'm a lil disappointed. 7/10.

It needs a third season. But who am I talking that won't gonna happen. Better of read the manga I guess :/
Jan 27, 2020 8:25 AM

Jan 2016
Why the hell is there not even a season 3. ITS FREE FUCKING MONEY YOU GOD DAMN JAPS. IT WOULD BE A BETTER ANIMATION THAN 99.99% GARBAGE ANIME YOU PRODUCE
Feb 26, 2020 2:20 PM
Feb 2016
All in all a very entertaining series. Still hoping for season 3
Apr 9, 2020 4:38 AM
Apr 2016
Dhaarok said:
Why the hell is there not even a season 3. ITS FREE FUCKING MONEY YOU GOD DAMN JAPS. IT WOULD BE A BETTER ANIMATION THAN 99.99% GARBAGE ANIME YOU PRODUCE

Ah this was really a good story. The ending was good. Now I'm feeling lonely. They must have made 3rd season! It's already a very good story and popular too. They should make a new season instead of making the GARBAGE ANIME they've been producing past years. They can definitely earn well too. Idk what happened to the Japanese studios they are willing to invest on Shit shows but don't wanna invest on many old but gold shows.
May 10, 2020 4:34 AM

Jan 2011
I didn't expect a lot and I'm still left disappointed
Same bs going in circles the entire anime but this ending was worse than I'd ever expect.

5/10 for this season
supreme master of the godtaste
Jun 25, 2020 2:39 AM
Mar 2020
Well, this was enjoyable. Definetly not comparable to any series Ive watched before. Shame theirs not another season. Spice & Wolf is almost nutoriusly popular and should have neat guranteed finacial sucess.
Jul 20, 2020 9:28 PM
Jul 2020
I just finished watching it and I realized there's no season 3.
Aug 6, 2020 9:22 PM

Apr 2020
I just have a hole in my chest knowing there isn't going to have any 3rd season.

Really enjoyed the show, except some of the talks about negotiations.

Good ending, not great, but good enough, knowing that it was supposed to have a sequel.
I neither agree nor disagree, on the contrary.
Aug 28, 2020 9:18 AM

Apr 2020
And that puts an end to the second season. The episode was not bad, especially the scene of confrontation beetween Eve and Lorence and the ending.

However... I don't even know what to say. The whole season felt like a filler between the first one and the third one(which will most likely never come out). Chemistry between the main characters was pleasant to watch, as well as the development of their relationship.

Sad as it is, this is the finale I guess. Lawrence and Holo's journey together does not end, but remains untold. Yet, it was a truly nostalgic and pleasant time for me.
[right]=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=
Sep 13, 2020 3:05 PM
Feb 2020
Season 1 was Better
and the Manga is Better than this season 2
Oct 20, 2020 5:19 PM
Aug 2020
The second arc was better than the first, but this ending felt really rushed and lackluster. Why is this show this highly rated on MAL?
Dec 19, 2020 12:33 AM
Jan 2016
Im surprised this is ranked so highly. I did not like it at all. Im someone who adores romance not this subplot romance crap. If they would of kissed back in season one when they almost did in the inn and then the story progressed as their relationship did then it would of been good but this super casual subplot i cant stand. Even the kiss itself was rather lackluster
Feb 2, 2021 8:31 AM

Jun 2017
a true masterpiece. Too bad no more seasons were made.
Feb 9, 2021 7:04 AM

Apr 2019
feel like im too fucking stupid to understand what was going on...

Feb 12, 2021 6:05 AM
Jul 2020
Seems like this season foccuses more on horo and lawrence's relationship which is pretty niche but story is pretty weak compared to s1. A solid 8/10. Definitely will pick up the novels from the start maybe this december cuz i didn't really understood much of the economics in this anime
laaalaFeb 12, 2021 6:13 AM
Feb 13, 2021 11:45 AM
Nov 2020
What a beautiful ending!! Lawrence finnaly be able to confessed his love to her.. this final episode make me cry for happiness!!
Jul 1, 2021 4:24 PM

Jul 2019
Some journey it has been. Love these type of stories I wish theres more of it.
Jul 4, 2021 12:07 AM

Jan 2021
OKAY, FINALLY.

"I love you" and a kiss. That scene was all I need.

It's been more than 10 years, I don't expect there would be a season 3 because the ending was already good. But if one day there will be a season 3, I will watch it. Of course seeing Holo and Lawrence back would be nice!

Aug 2, 2021 6:02 PM
Oct 2020
HikaruKaneko said:
God I love this show....I was so satisfied by this episode and this season I'm going to give this a 10 and raise last season to a 10. I like this show too much for it to be rated anything else.

I am definitely craving a 3rd season.
Of topic Aria and Spice and Wolf fan? Kiss me! Even though it’s been 13 years so your probably long gone XD, anyways this was really another amazing episode, and even though we will never get a season 3 the anime only conclusion was great!
Aug 4, 2021 12:18 AM

Dec 2008
Emiliaisnumber1 said:
HikaruKaneko said:
God I love this show....I was so satisfied by this episode and this season I'm going to give this a 10 and raise last season to a 10. I like this show too much for it to be rated anything else.

I am definitely craving a 3rd season.
Of topic Aria and Spice and Wolf fan? Kiss me! Even though it’s been 13 years so your probably long gone XD, anyways this was really another amazing episode, and even though we will never get a season 3 the anime only conclusion was great!

Hey, I'm still here! I just generally don't post anymore. It's actually a bit weird reading my post from so long ago. Even after all this time, I would still be excited about more Spice and Wolf.
Oct 17, 2021 10:35 PM
Feb 2021
They finally confessed and kissed each other assuring themselves they will be together warranting sweet ending to the sweet anime.
Holo was so adorable when she asked if he prefers the sobbing girl like her. Holo also slapped him whch he deserved since he was hiding lot of things from her.
Oct 20, 2021 3:19 AM
Aug 2020
The conversation on the docks is something that causes a lot of confusion so I thought that I give my version of it based on the books and anime.

Holo asks Lawrence about the risks, to which Lawrence says if he tells her the risk she will ask him to back out of the deal since the risk is getting involved with the church. Then Lawrence tells her the 3 possibilities and says after considering these going forward with the deal is what Holo would want. The three scenarios are as follows

Lawrence wins and Holo leaves

Lawrence loses and Holo Leaves

Lawrence backs out and Holo continues their travels together.

If they had to discuss a conversation about Scenario 3 Lawrence believes this against the wishes of Holo who wishes to end their travels as She would say don’t throw away all that profit just to be kind to me. But if Holo knew about the risk of church she would certainly tell Lawrence to back out which is why Lawrence won't tell her about the church.

To which Holo is surprised how Lawrence thinks continuing travel with him would make her unhappy. Lawrence actually sorts of wants to not put her in any danger and travel with her(Lawrence refrains from saying this since this is what would make Holo even more angry). Nevertheless Holo slaps him and says he's neither completely wrong or right.

Lawrence doesn't want to leave her or at least is not sure about his own feelings but still wants to pursue being as good a merchant as Eve who values profit over all. So Then Lawrence asks her one final time if she wants to go forward with this idea or not because well Lawrence wants to be with Holo too but can’t be that selfish since he “knows” Holo wants to end their travels which as we all know is because Holo doesn't want Lawrence to sacrifice his dreams. But both of these stubborn idiots will not stop in their quest to not be “selfish”. This what happens when two people try to achieve what they think the other person wants instead of directly communicating their needs.
shalkaofwarOct 20, 2021 10:27 AM
Oct 22, 2021 5:33 AM
Jul 2015
finish watching
search for sequel
no sequel
"finished airing: 2009"

pain
Dec 28, 2021 12:16 PM
Dec 2021
for me it was okay. Greninja is really sexy
Jan 14, 2022 12:45 PM
Mar 2017
Fantastic anime which doesn't give us a deserving ending :(
It was an absolutely wonderful story which gets a nice ending in the manga but I am truly dissapointed the anime wasn't afforded the same treatment.
Just wonderul otherwise....
Jan 17, 2022 11:49 AM

Jun 2015
Is this how it really ends? or is there more?
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Mar 12, 2022 10:05 PM

Jun 2020
I just finished watching the anime and had a pretty hard time understanding the politics and trading stuff but I did understand one thing.

Holo best girl
G_ExcelMar 12, 2022 11:53 PM
Mar 23, 2022 11:32 PM

Sep 2018
I found the first season to be a bit better and more charming, still a solid 2nd season. 8/10.
Mar 29, 2022 8:10 AM
Jul 2013
Can someone explain this to me with simplest way? 1.
I have rewatched this, and i still couldn't understand what lawrence realize after he saw the salt statue at rigoro house, i meant lawrence knew eve sold a statue to church but why salt statue become so special?
2. If eve bulk buying fur in that town, then she will interfere with church plan to bulk buying and make a profit from fur, henceforth church will target eve. Am i correct about this part?
3. What happened to the harold the inn owner?
I am really thankful if someone can answer my smol brain question in simplest way
Apr 23, 2022 2:58 PM

Sep 2014
Wait thats it? This end was just like the entire season: A hot mess.

I understand the source didnt plan for this to be a big epic finale but still this feels weird as the conclusion for the anime.

The entire season was just 2 arcs and both were individually meh, while atleast holo was more involved in the second one.

Idk this season was super weak, barely any relationship developement, lots of unnecessary drama baiting, boring side characters and it all just gets repeated so it feels like there is no progress.
I mean really what happened here: Arc 1: Lawrence stopped someone else from paying Holos debt. Arc 2: Obviously Lawrence gets betrayed again while making a big deal and he still manages to "free" Holo.

We got more interesting situations in season 1, and by more I mean better and well more than just 2.

7/10 weaker than S1 and a disappointing ending which leaves a sour taste. Actually tempted to rate this 6/10.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 11, 2022 7:09 AM
Dec 2020
Oosran said:
٩๏_๏)۶ (my face right now)

Anyway, all the people who went around with weapons, they more or less look like zombies walking around xD

...wait, where did Abe get that meat cleaver?O.o
Hey, Lawrence is pretty skilled in hand-to-and combat, although he's waaaay too naïve, he let up too early.

Woaah! That's a pretty fluffy tail xD

He finally said it huh? ( ̄ー ̄) I'd say that's just about time : )

And that's a sweet "this is sparta"-kick, followed by a kiss, at last : D

Ah~ the bells ringing sounded quite fitting, and now I'm really craving for another season, hope it doesn't take as long as between the first and second >.<

Also, I gave this a 9/10, same as I gave the first season ... OH SHI- carp I just have to give it a 10 instead >.> And I'll also raise the first season to 10 xD..

Edit:
vinesage said:
who would have thought, the opening is the ending. :-)

I thought about that for a while.. It was great actually, a pretty subtle way of improving things : D
vinesage said:
anyway, the way they end this season makes me very worried about if there will be a 3rd season at all. Its just all too perfect, like in fairy tale: "and then they all lived happily ever after.... THE END" :-(

Don't say that, there will be another season.. There must be another season, and even if it takes many years, I'll be content just knowing that there will be another one, some time in the future xD

Don't know if you are still watching anime till this day. but I have some good news: The wait is over. They're making a new animation project on this anime! (it's okay to cry TvT)
Jul 25, 2022 12:24 PM

Jul 2014
Well, on this rewatch I can safely say that season 2 was so much worse than season 1 that a lot of my optimism for the upcoming season 3 has diminished. Compared to season 1, this season was horrendously paced: neither of these arcs needed to be six episodes long, and both felt like they were just going in circles to fill out that time. By comparison, each arc in season 1 felt naturally paced and not at all repetitive, nor as overly complicated as this season's arcs were.

But my biggest issue this season was the relationship between Lawrence and Holo, or Holo's side of it more specifically. Her "challenge" to Lawrence in the Amarty arc was utterly ridiculous, out-of-character and also so toxic that I'm amazed Lawrence has been able to trust her ever again (and resolving it with a cheap "oh, it was just a misunderstanding, Holo was on Lawrence's side the whole time" only made it worse). And this arc was little better in that regard, with the selling Holo plan being one of the stupidest decisions made in this entire show (not least because Holo actively encouraged it for reasons I will never understand.

More to the point, the more romantic this series got, the less I found myself liking Holo: she constantly toys with Lawrence's emotions, physically abuses him far too often (including at key moments like the kiss scene this episode), doesn't even reciprocate when he finally kisses her as she's very clearly been begging for all season and just generally treats him like utter shit. While the existential dread about their differing lifespans is a reasonable concern, it just feels like the writers are doing everything they can to keep their relationship from progressing. And that's just making Holo more and more annoying to me as she constantly flip-flops on what she actually wants from Lawrence.

6/10. Please let the upcoming season 3 be more like season 1, and less like this comparative disappointment.
Aug 9, 2022 3:08 PM
Sep 2018
Oosran said:
٩๏_๏)۶ (my face right now)

Anyway, all the people who went around with weapons, they more or less look like zombies walking around xD

...wait, where did Abe get that meat cleaver?O.o
Hey, Lawrence is pretty skilled in hand-to-and combat, although he's waaaay too naïve, he let up too early.

Woaah! That's a pretty fluffy tail xD

He finally said it huh? ( ̄ー ̄) I'd say that's just about time : )

And that's a sweet "this is sparta"-kick, followed by a kiss, at last : D

Ah~ the bells ringing sounded quite fitting, and now I'm really craving for another season, hope it doesn't take as long as between the first and second >.<

Also, I gave this a 9/10, same as I gave the first season ... OH SHI- carp I just have to give it a 10 instead >.> And I'll also raise the first season to 10 xD..

Edit:
vinesage said:
who would have thought, the opening is the ending. :-)

I thought about that for a while.. It was great actually, a pretty subtle way of improving things : D
vinesage said:
anyway, the way they end this season makes me very worried about if there will be a 3rd season at all. Its just all too perfect, like in fairy tale: "and then they all lived happily ever after.... THE END" :-(

Don't say that, there will be another season.. There must be another season, and even if it takes many years, I'll be content just knowing that there will be another one, some time in the future xD

You’ve waited for 13 years my friend
Aug 9, 2022 3:13 PM
Sep 2018
Atavistic said:
Well, on this rewatch I can safely say that season 2 was so much worse than season 1 that a lot of my optimism for the upcoming season 3 has diminished. Compared to season 1, this season was horrendously paced: neither of these arcs needed to be six episodes long, and both felt like they were just going in circles to fill out that time. By comparison, each arc in season 1 felt naturally paced and not at all repetitive, nor as overly complicated as this season's arcs were.

But my biggest issue this season was the relationship between Lawrence and Holo, or Holo's side of it more specifically. Her "challenge" to Lawrence in the Amarty arc was utterly ridiculous, out-of-character and also so toxic that I'm amazed Lawrence has been able to trust her ever again (and resolving it with a cheap "oh, it was just a misunderstanding, Holo was on Lawrence's side the whole time" only made it worse). And this arc was little better in that regard, with the selling Holo plan being one of the stupidest decisions made in this entire show (not least because Holo actively encouraged it for reasons I will never understand.

More to the point, the more romantic this series got, the less I found myself liking Holo: she constantly toys with Lawrence's emotions, physically abuses him far too often (including at key moments like the kiss scene this episode), doesn't even reciprocate when he finally kisses her as she's very clearly been begging for all season and just generally treats him like utter shit. While the existential dread about their differing lifespans is a reasonable concern, it just feels like the writers are doing everything they can to keep their relationship from progressing. And that's just making Holo more and more annoying to me as she constantly flip-flops on what she actually wants from Lawrence.

6/10. Please let the upcoming season 3 be more like season 1, and less like this comparative disappointment.

I completely agree with you dude. Going into this I was expecting a masterpiece, and while season one was like a 7.5/10 because I enjoyed their relationship(though I didn’t understand the economics very much), season two just dropped to 6/10 for me because the economics got even more boring, and instead of progressing, their relationship just seemed to regress, and that first arc especially was horrible, it was frustrating to watch and Amarty was a fucking asshole brat.
Sep 18, 2022 10:07 PM
Sep 2022
The fact that it ends here is a tragedy that Shakespeare couldn't even write. It is SO GOOD.
Sep 24, 2022 5:39 AM
Dec 2017
This anime reached the level of mid that shouldn't be possible.
Sep 13, 2023 12:26 PM

Dec 2022
A great sequel, even if I did prefer the first season to some extent. It's main problem in this case was retreading old ground for drama too often, which was accentuated by the longer arcs. It's fortunate that the nuanced character interactions, detailed worldbuilding and stunning environments were still there. Rather than pointless remakes for mainstreamers who will forget the series after watching it anyway, Spice and Wolf would instead benefit from a third season.
Archean-ReturnOct 13, 2023 3:56 PM

Shaded Horizon

Sep 30, 2023 9:00 AM

Feb 2012
Reply to Sternengesang
I have rewatched this, and i still couldn't understand what lawrence realize after he saw the salt statue at rigoro house, i meant lawrence knew eve sold a statue to church but why salt statue become so special?
2. If eve bulk buying fur in that town, then she will interfere with church plan to bulk buying and make a profit from fur, henceforth church will target eve. Am i correct about this part?
I am really thankful if someone can answer my smol brain question in simplest way
@Sternengesang

In regards to your questions here:
1. The reason Lawrence started working with Eve is because she had a big idea to make money and Lawrence believed she just didn't have the money on-hand to execute that plane. Lawrence's role was to just provide the money and Eve had everything else worked out. When Lawrence learned that Eve was a smuggler, he realized that Eve must already have enough money to execute her plan so she brought in Lawrence for a different reason. Lawrence realized that Eve was much more reckless and underhanded than he initially realized and resolved to confront her. The big prize for Lawrence was the inn he would receive in that town that could be turned into his store. It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to open a store in the same town where you just screwed over the local church.

2. You are correct. The key point here is that this particular church really only has influence in that city. Eve had no plans of ever returning to this town so she burned all her bridges. The local church also couldn't spread the damning information of Eve because in would implicate them. Eve exclusively worked with the church so the illegal crimes of business she did were also the church's.

3. Harold sold his inn to Eve and went on his pilgrimage. Lawrence was expected to receive the inn as part of his payout when the business venture was completed. Eve had her own side deal with Harold where she bought his inn earlier and he went on his pilgrimage sooner. Eve was most likely going to sell the deed to buy more furs, but she gave it to Lawrence once she decided to spare him. The deed was worth the gold Lawrence had so he ends the ordeal in the same place he started. Lawrence has no business reason to follow Eve.
Nov 3, 2023 11:25 AM
Aug 2023
I don't want to end this anime
Nov 14, 2023 2:13 AM

Oct 2020
I guess the real profit was the relationship they made along the way

Anyway I'm glad this is over. It was nice but the big business venture deal felt really rushed and they never mentioned any of the legends Holo was reading through to "rediscover her past"
Was there even a bear in Yoitsu? Are any of Holo's wolf friends/family still alive? Was there a reason she left in the first place?
Dec 9, 2023 9:07 AM
Dec 2023
Anyone ready come the 2024 remake? they are supposed to finish the whole story and not just cut it off. been since 2009, about time we get some new content.
Jan 25, 10:13 AM
Apr 2014
Hmm. The behavior of Holo these last two episodes was kind of weird. She just turned super depressed at the end of ep10. If she didn't tell Lawrence to go for the deal he wouldn't have tried. I don't understand why she suddenly wanted to cut it off with him either. It seemed way too random and unrelated to everything else going on. Her own explanation didn't make sense either and I would be disappointed if it's just "I'm scared to fall in love with you despite telling you that's not it" considering the general writing appeared to be above that so far.

Also what was the plan with selling her? Would he have just bought her back with the profit of this deal? But then she wanted to part ways with him anyway. The whole scheme seemed so pointless from a story-telling perspective. I guess this story was just meant to make Lawrence realize he would sacrifice his dream for Holo? Although it's not like he didn't already know that... And Holo was angry at him for that as well (don't really get why that's the case either).

I swear this entire season if they just were honest with each other they could have avoided like majority of the drama they caused... I guess the end makes a bit up for that a bit as they finally got a bit closer again. That second half was a lot less enjoyable than the first half though. I really was hoping for more as the start of the season was pretty strong.

AlexAvidAnime said:
Anyone ready come the 2024 remake? they are supposed to finish the whole story and not just cut it off. been since 2009, about time we get some new content.

Generally I'd love to see more of the story adapted. My biggest issue is that the VAs might not be interested anymore and I don't want to hear new voices for Lawrence and Holo. Unless they got both of them back it's going to be a skip for me. Fukuyama Jun is definitely one of the best VA of the past 20 years (despite not having him in my favorites. competition is strong during that time frame haha). And Koshimizu Ami did a phenomenal job for Holo (unfortunately her main roles are out of my interest field so I can't say much about her general proficiency). I really hope they actually get both of them on board and are able to adapt the entire LN in that case!
Jan 26, 2:48 PM

May 2020
Amazing final and anime overall
hope it got a season 3 and dint just end like that

I am looking forward to the remake but I doubt it'll be able to top seasons 1 and 2 of the original
solid 9/10

Apr 25, 4:30 AM

Jul 2023
Now I know why people hated season 2. We don't know what happened to Eve. Also, the season ended when it feels like it needs an episode or two to finish the arc.

I'll proceed with the remake, and hope it does better than the OG. I want to see Norah again anyway.

ETA: 4/10 the entire season, which is quite a downgrade.
patkarununganApr 25, 7:03 AM
Yesterday, 2:41 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
So we got some loose ends that need to be tied up, but overall not TOO cliff-hanger-y. Still ends kind of abruptly though; doesn't wrap up as nicely as season 1 did. Idc though, am just glad it's over and that I have the original to compare the currently-airing remake to. 5/10 for season 2; which more or less feels similar to season 1, but I personally was really bored throughout this one. Want to give it a 4 even, but I wouldn't call it "bad", so 5 it is. Just seemed to have lost the charm from the first season, and felt like a chore to get through.

edit: actually no fuck it I'm giving it the 4

NYANPASU
5700XT

Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

vinesage - Sep 16, 2009

133 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 2:14 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Mikiyo - Sep 10, 2009

109 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 1:40 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

vinesage - Sep 2, 2009

210 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 25, 3:05 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

vinesage - Aug 26, 2009

134 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 24, 2:57 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

vinesage - Aug 19, 2009

189 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 24, 2:25 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.