Forum Settings
Forums

Incorrectly linking Anime to Manga as an adaptation

New
Apr 15, 2014 6:57 AM

May 2013
(Search isn't working on me)

This has been done a lot.

For an example, we have Air. Air is linked to the Manga as an adaptation and vice versa.

However, neither is an adaptation to the other. Both are adapted from the Visual Novel. Since VNs won't (ever) added, it would make more sense to have them linked together as something else.

Simply having 'Manga Format: Air' would suffice.

Then again, there may be a reason for this I am unaware of.
MomoiroooooApr 15, 2014 7:02 AM
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Apr 15, 2014 8:58 AM
Dec 2011
I don't see an issue. They are both adaptions of the same story. It makes perfect sense to me.
Apr 15, 2014 11:01 AM

May 2013
jojovonjo said:
I don't see an issue. They are both adaptions of the same story. It makes perfect sense to me.

It looks as if one is the adaptation of the other.

And no, they might not all be adaptations of the same story. Adaptations can alter the source material.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Apr 15, 2014 11:02 AM

Nov 2010
Yeah it's also confusing with original anime when they have a manga adaptation of the anime.
Apr 15, 2014 11:25 AM

May 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Yeah it's also confusing with original anime when they have a manga adaptation of the anime.

Yeah, that's a good point. Like Kill la Kill and Nagi no Asukara, for example.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Apr 15, 2014 12:10 PM
Dec 2011
Diran-kun said:
jojovonjo said:

And no, they might not all be adaptations of the same story. Adaptations can alter the source material.

They would still be adaptions of the same story even if they diverged from the source a little differently. I think a better solution would be adding source material to the page somewhere. I still see no reason for the change as you suggested it.
Apr 15, 2014 12:18 PM

May 2013
jojovonjo said:
Diran-kun said:
jojovonjo said:

They would still be adaptions of the same story even if they diverged from the source a little differently. I think a better solution would be adding source material to the page somewhere. I still see no reason for the change as you suggested it.

They might be adaptations of the same story, but they are not adaptations of each other, so it's stupid for them to be listed as such.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Apr 15, 2014 12:29 PM
Dec 2011
Diran-kun said:
jojovonjo said:
Diran-kun said:
jojovonjo said:

They might be adaptations of the same story, but they are not adaptations of each other, so it's stupid for them to be listed as such.

You just completely changed your argument. They tell you that "this is the anime adaptation of the story" and "this is the manga adaptation of the story." Simple as that. You are making it more confusing than it is.
Apr 15, 2014 12:31 PM

Jun 2007
jojovonjo said:
Diran-kun said:
jojovonjo said:
Diran-kun said:
jojovonjo said:

You just completely changed your argument. They tell you that "this is the anime adaptation of the story" and "this is the manga adaptation of the story." Simple as that. You are making it more confusing than it is.

You're not understanding the proper usage of the term "adaptation", and that's all that is confusing you.
Apr 15, 2014 12:33 PM

Aug 2008
Adaptations aren't inherently of a single source material or faithful to it. This classification isn't in the wrong.

An alternative description might be "derivative".
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Apr 15, 2014 12:46 PM

May 2013
Deserada said:
Adaptations aren't inherently of a single source material or faithful to it. This classification isn't in the wrong.

But the Anime of Air isn't a adaptation of the Manga.

I'd say the classification is wrong in this case.

And what about original Anime like Kill la Kill where the Manga was publishing at the same time?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Apr 15, 2014 12:48 PM

Jun 2007
Deserada said:

Adaptation follows a hierarchy in almost every single context possible in the English language relating to taking x and making another version of it. A book based on a film is an adaptation of that film - the film is not an adaptation of the book. A tv series later made is still only an adaptation of the film as well, not of the book unless it was directly stated as being based on the book.

In this context, adaptation and derivative are essentially synonymous.

An adaptation is where you take a work and re-create it. It's factually wrong to put both a manga as an adaptation as well as it's anime as an adaptation because only one of them is re-creating the other. The idea that they are sometimes different is irrelevant as well, remaking something doesn't mean copying it. You do not, as a writer sit there and "adapt" what you think into a story, you simply create one - so saying "they are both adaptations of the same story" is also factually wrong.

This isn't an issue of opinion.
TallonKarrde23Apr 15, 2014 1:01 PM
Apr 15, 2014 1:11 PM

Aug 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
Deserada said:

Adaptation follows a hierarchy in almost every single context possible in the English language relating to taking x and making another version of it. A book based on a film is an adaptation of that film - the film is not an adaptation of the book. A tv series later made is still only an adaptation of the film as well, not of the book unless it was directly stated as being based on the book.

An adaptation is where you take a work and re-create it. It's factually wrong to put both a manga as an adaptation as well as it's anime as an adaptation because only one of them is re-creating the other. The idea that they are sometimes different is irrelevant as well, remaking something doesn't mean copying it.
They're all derivative works of a single intellectual property. Derivation/derivative only implies a single connection to any point in the interwoven collection, and works from either perspective chronologically. If you consider that the IP is what is being adapted into different formats, then the syllogism functions properly, but evidently, as you have demonstrated, this isn't always the case.

vndb uses the term "Related", which I believe is plausible for their situation, however, it is a bit too encompassing, because it could also describe any of the primary derivative works, nuances of Anime (OVA, Specials, Sequels, etc.)

Most imageboards, in regard to "duplicate" images use the parent/child nomenclature, which I find as we have discussed, does not account for the branching that could occur as an IP is developed over time.
DeseradaApr 15, 2014 1:15 PM
Apr 15, 2014 1:13 PM

Jun 2007
Deserada said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Deserada said:

An adaptation is where you take a work and re-create it. It's factually wrong to put both a manga as an adaptation as well as it's anime as an adaptation because only one of them is re-creating the other. The idea that they are sometimes different is irrelevant as well, remaking something doesn't mean copying it.
They're all derivative works of a single intellectual property. Derivation/derivative only implies a single connection to any point in the interwoven collection, and works from either perspective chronologically.

vndb uses the term "Related", which I believe is plausible for their situation, however, it is a bit too encompassing, because it could also describe any of the primary derivative works (OVA, Specials, Sequels, etc.)

Most imageboards, in regard to "duplicate" images use the parent/child nomenclature, which I find as we have discussed, does not account for the branching that could occur as an IP is developed over time.

Wow, I'm glad you think how a website works has to do with how entertainment and literature works. Good thing I know more about those actually relevant areas than you and can just repeat myself because I'm not wrong.

An adaptation is where you take a work and re-create it. It's factually wrong to put both a manga as an adaptation as well as it's anime as an adaptation because only one of them is re-creating the other. The idea that they are sometimes different is irrelevant as well, remaking something doesn't mean copying it. You do not, as a writer sit there and "adapt" what you think into a story, you simply create one - so saying "they are both adaptations of the same story" is also factually wrong.
Apr 15, 2014 1:29 PM

Aug 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
Deserada said:
They're all derivative works of a single intellectual property. Derivation/derivative only implies a single connection to any point in the interwoven collection, and works from either perspective chronologically. If you consider that the IP is what is being adapted into different formats, then the syllogism functions properly, but evidently, as you have demonstrated, this isn't always the case.

vndb uses the term "Related", which I believe is plausible for their situation, however, it is a bit too encompassing, because it could also describe any of the primary derivative works, nuances of Anime (OVA, Specials, Sequels, etc.)

Wow, I'm glad you think how a website works has to do with how entertainment and literature works. Good thing I know more about those actually relevant areas than you and can just repeat myself because I'm not wrong.

See the italic text in my above post, which was edited as you wrote.
I would like to investigate your equation of "story" with what I call an IP. Note that you misquoted me there.

You seem to be making a slippery slope, as an IP can simply be a framework or a common element from which several stories are derived. When writing, I would certainly argue that the translation of an idea into any media is indeed a process of derivation, and conditionally, adaptation. The nature of the term "Intellectual Property" accounts for this.

What is intriguing, is that in adapting, one can combine multiple source materials (intellectual properties, or ideas) (in part or in whole) to achieve a different effect in the product. By extension, both a text and a film created from similar ideas are related as adaptations (though by varying degrees of estrangement, which would sound more logical when described as derivatives).

It might have been intended at some point in the election of the word "Adaptation" for this use in MAL's database that what is referred to is in fact the relation between titles to an IP, and not to each other (the condition for adaptation).
DeseradaApr 15, 2014 1:35 PM
Apr 15, 2014 1:35 PM

May 2013
Deserada said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Deserada said:

I would like to investigate your equation of "story" with what I call an IP. Note that you misquoted me there.

You seem to be making a slippery slope, as an IP can simply be a framework or a common element from which several stories are derived. When writing, I would certainly argue that the translation of an idea into any media is indeed a process of derivation, and conditionally, adaptation. The nature of the term "Intellectual Property" accounts for this.

What is intriguing, is that in adapting, one can combine multiple source materials (intellectual properties, or ideas) (in part or in whole) to achieve a different effect in the product. By extension, both a text and a film created from similar ideas are related as adaptations (though by varying degrees of estrangement, which would sound more logical when described as derivatives).

There are things related as both being adaptations. Yes. You're right.

So, why does that mean Air and its Manga should be linked as adaptations of one another?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Apr 15, 2014 1:37 PM

Aug 2008
Diran-kun said:
Deserada said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Deserada said:

There are things related as both being adaptations. Yes. You're right.

So, why does that mean Air and its Manga should be linked as adaptations of one another?
My apologies, I need to get my thoughts straightened out at once, in a single post revision.

My conclusion was edited in just now, and again:
Deserada said:
It might have been intended at some point in the election of the word "Adaptation" for this use in MAL's database that what is referred to is in fact the relation between titles to an IP, and not to each other (the condition for adaptation).
Apr 15, 2014 1:41 PM

May 2013
I highly doubt that.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Apr 15, 2014 1:48 PM

Aug 2008
Diran-kun said:
I highly doubt that.
It's plausible, considering what you said before. If the original source material is of another medium or if two mediums were published simultaneously, it would never be integrated into or recognized in the database under a "series" page such as Wikipedia often does. That absence was thereby accounted for in the unspecific term "Adaptation".

I do understand your doubts; this is the best defense I can offer at present.

What I don't doubt, however, is that those responsible for the formatting of this site were so unconscious of other decisions (the rating scale, formatting for and separation of reviews and recommendations, etc.). Granted, this delves into speculation, but it's worth considering at the very least.
Apr 15, 2014 2:15 PM

May 2013
Deserada said:
Diran-kun said:
I highly doubt that.
It's plausible, considering what you said before. If the original source material is of another medium or if two mediums were published simultaneously, it would never be integrated into or recognized in the database under a "series" page such as Wikipedia often does. That absence was thereby accounted for in the unspecific term "Adaptation".

What I don't doubt, however, is that those responsible for the formatting of this site were so unconscious of other decisions (the rating scale, formatting for and separation of reviews and recommendations, etc.). Granted, this delves into speculation, but it's worth considering at the very least.

I wouldn't consider it and do doubt it for one main reason.

MAL has a tendency to put things as they are not.

No one's going to look at Air's Anime page think, 'Oh, this must so and so'. They would rather think, 'Oh, so Air was an adaptation of a Manga?'.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Apr 15, 2014 2:25 PM

Aug 2008
Diran-kun said:
Deserada said:
Diran-kun said:
I highly doubt that.

I wouldn't consider it and do doubt it for one main reason.

MAL has a tendency to put things as they are not.

No one's going to look at Air's Anime page think, 'Oh, this must so and so'. They would rather think, 'Oh, so Air was an adaptation of a Manga?'.
Such is speculation.

More topics from this board

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.