Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 15, 2014 11:03 AM

Jan 2014
I used to be nice, explaining that it wasn't right, it was stupid, and convincing the user to continue watching. Now that I realize doing something like that is a waste of my time, I just don't take their post seriously, ever. I mean, they must be pretty stubborn; if they won't even try to understand the series, probably they won't try to understand my post either.
Apr 15, 2014 11:04 AM

Dec 2007
I don't have a problem with it. Embrace your prejudices I say, they are usually correct.
Apr 15, 2014 11:04 AM

Aug 2013
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Mirai Nikki is a battle shonen anime so therefore even if you don't watch it you know it's the exact same as DBZ and the big 3. Right?

Who said Mirai Nikki was a battle shonen alike the big/overrated three (minus DBK)?

Also, why bring up Mirai Nikki again?!
To make a point to show you that you can't just generalize like that.

Oh, you're not joking.
Looking at the image and the description, you'll find no hints of DBZ-like battles. And the final result is that you've got only one DBZ-like battle, but it comes at the end. Battle anime with totally unrealistic battles stand out very damn well.
That's the point just because Mirai Nikki is a battle shonen anime doesn't mean it's the exact same as DBZ.
Apr 15, 2014 11:06 AM

Mar 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Mirai Nikki is a battle shonen anime so therefore even if you don't watch it you know it's the exact same as DBZ and the big 3. Right?

Who said Mirai Nikki was a battle shonen alike the big/overrated three (minus DBK)?

Oh, you're not joking.
Looking at the image and the description, you'll find no hints of DBZ-like battles. And the final result is that you've got only one DBZ-like battle, but it comes at the end. Battle anime with totally unrealistic battles stand out very damn well.
That's the point just because Mirai Nikki is a battle shonen anime doesn't mean it's the exact same as DBZ.

Who told you that Mirai Nikki is a battle shonen in the first place?
Apr 15, 2014 11:07 AM

Mar 2008
My circles are all in place. Soon, the arguments will never end. Muahahahahhaa.
Apr 15, 2014 11:08 AM

Aug 2013
It is factually a battle shonen anime because it was published in a shonen magazine and action is one of it's main genres.
Apr 15, 2014 11:08 AM

Jun 2011
Ckan said:

You planned this all along? Well played, sir.

Apr 15, 2014 11:13 AM

Nov 2010
Ckan said:
You will soon complete the large transmutation circle around the forum by using the arguments started in each board. Well played
Apr 15, 2014 11:15 AM

Mar 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Oh, you're not joking.

It is factually a battle shonen anime because it was published in a shonen magazine and action is one of it's main genres.

Yeah, just because the publication is inside a shonen magazine and it being based on action, this means its damn safe to plaster the word "battle" on it out of nowhere, huh?

So even if it lacks battles but instead shootings and escape from death situations in which you can win it by strategic planning and brains instead of body strength and whatever magical force inside you, Mirai Nikki is indeed factually an animanga in which Yuno punches everyone mindlessly to death while her enemies use their superpowers such as flight, rather than both sides thinking about how to strike carefully or else they're dead, huh? And when all the fights involve the use of weapons that aren't super powered or anything, real weapons, bar one fight, right?

I give no damn to the publication source. Whether its a battle shonen or not sticks out from the description.
Apr 15, 2014 11:17 AM

Aug 2013
Ckan said:
You are such a deviant tactician.

[@Lord_Pooka
Tactics used in a fight or the lack of super powers have nothing to do with an anime being shonen or not.Shonen is merely the target demographic and action plays a main part in Mirai Nikki so it is factually a battle shonen anime.
DrGeroCreationApr 15, 2014 11:29 AM
Apr 15, 2014 11:23 AM

Nov 2008
Ckan said:

*Activates Face* Your magic is meaningless.
Apr 15, 2014 11:26 AM

Jun 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Oh, you're not joking.

Yeah, just because the publication is inside a shonen magazine and it being based on action, this means its damn safe to plaster the word "battle" on it out of nowhere, huh?

So even if it lacks battles but instead shootings and escape from death situations in which you can win it by strategic planning and brains instead of body strength and whatever magical force inside you, Mirai Nikki is indeed factually an animanga in which Yuno punches everyone mindlessly to death while her enemies use their superpowers such as flight, rather than both sides thinking about how to strike carefully or else they're dead, huh? And when all the fights involve the use of weapons that aren't super powered or anything, real weapons, bar one fight, right?

I give no damn to the publication source. Whether its a battle shonen or not sticks out from the description.

It can still be said to be one, just not the kind that you're describing (which is the most popular definition).

Apr 15, 2014 11:28 AM

Jan 2012
i do it jokingly with friends, he has been trying to get me to watch TTGL for month and months and just constantly tell him its garbage (ive seen 6/7 eps i think) and tbh its not that bad just a little OTT for me...... but i don't think you can seriously bash a series you haven't given a chance and be expected to be taken seriously!
Apr 15, 2014 11:30 AM

Nov 2008
Lord_Pooka said:

They fight using cellphones that can tell the future... that's realistic
(I'm arguing with my first friend on MAL T^T)
Apr 15, 2014 11:35 AM

Mar 2014
SolBlade said:

It can still be said to be one, just not the kind that you're describing (which is the most popular definition).

By that logic, TV shows revolving around gangsters attacking other gangsters would be battle TV shows.

There's a big difference between battle and action. DBZ is both but a mafia show (or Mirai Nikki bar that only battle) is action only.

This conservation is pity though. A battle shonen anime sticks out very damn well. If its battle just because uh its shonen and action even though "battles" are non-existent, then its not battle. Its just "action". Now where was I, before DrGero summoned Mirai Nikki for no apparent reason?

Well the future diaries are probably the only unrealistic weapons, and they're more of methods of survival than a killing tool (unless you destroy another's diary).
Apr 15, 2014 11:39 AM

Aug 2013
Lord_Pooka said:
SolBlade said:

By that logic, TV shows revolving around gangsters attacking other gangsters would be battle TV shows.

There's a big difference between battle and action. DBZ is both but a mafia show (or Mirai Nikki bar that only battle) is action only.

This conservation is pity though. A battle shonen anime sticks out very damn well. If its battle just because uh its shonen and action even though "battles" are non-existent, then its not battle. Its just "action". Now where was I, before DrGero summoned Mirai Nikki for no apparent reason?

Well the future diaries are probably the only unrealistic weapons, and they're more of methods of survival than a killing tool (unless you destroy another's diary).
Battle is a synonym for action http://thesaurus.com/browse/battle
Apr 15, 2014 11:40 AM

Jun 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
SolBlade said:

I know. All I'm saying is that it could be considered one. I don't even consider Mirai Nikki one myself (more like supernatural shounen), though it does share a few elements with them. Heck, I wasn't even being entirely serious there. But the point I'm trying to make is that battle shounen is practically just another word for action shounen.

Apr 15, 2014 11:41 AM

Mar 2008
DrGeroCreation said:
That's like saying H20 is a synonym for water. Sure, they're the same thing, but they do have a variety of different meanings and connotations.

Nevertheless, you may carry on so long as you do not disturb my circles!
Apr 15, 2014 11:42 AM

Jun 2007
I have a term for them: "Crystal Ball Critics." And I trust them just as much as your average fortuneteller.

Term also applies to people who try to be authoritative after seeing some laughably small percentage like 1/26 episodes or 10 minutes of 1 episode.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Apr 15, 2014 11:43 AM
Dec 2013
It depends.

I get annoyed if a person is complaining about a character in a show they haven't watched.
Apr 15, 2014 11:45 AM

Mar 2008
Zalis said:
I have a term for them: "Crystal Ball Critics." And I trust them just as much as your average fortuneteller.

Term also applies to people who try to be authoritative after seeing some laughably small percentage like 1/26 episodes or 10 minutes of 1 episode.
But it brings up an interesting question. How big a percentage is 'enough'?

If we say that it depends on the series, that doesn't that mean that some shows could require only an episode, or less, of a viewing?
Apr 15, 2014 11:56 AM

Jun 2012
It's pretty annoying, if you dont want to watch something then fair enough. But if you sit and complain about something you havent at least tried to watch then it's annoying.

It's like saying "oh i hate that band" having never heard their music, but only reading what keys they play in or something >.>
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Apr 15, 2014 11:57 AM

Aug 2013
Ckan said:
DrGeroCreation said:
That's like saying H20 is a synonym for water. Sure, they're the same thing, but they do have a variety of different meanings and connotations.

Nevertheless, you may carry on so long as you do not disturb my circles!
True but in the case of anime they are synonyms.
Apr 15, 2014 11:58 AM

Mar 2014
Ckan said:
Zalis said:

If we say that it depends on the series, that doesn't that mean that some shows could require only an episode, or less, of a viewing?

There is another question. How many episodes of One Piece does one need to watch before s/he can have a critical opinion of OP that can be accepted by the likes of you? How big is that percentage when it comes to something super long like One Piece?

6 out of 640 (is that the number now?) would be a laughibly small percentage of episodes, you know. And nobody's going to stay until the 30th episode in order to tell people that OP is bad if it proves itself as so by the 6th episode.
Apr 15, 2014 12:00 PM

Apr 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
Ckan said:
Zalis said:

There is another question. How many episodes of One Piece does one need to watch before s/he can have a critical opinion of OP that can be accepted by the likes of you? How big is that percentage when it comes to something super long like One Piece?

6 out of 640 (is that the number now?) would be a laughibly small percentage of episodes, you know. And none is going to stay until the 30th episode in order to tell people that OP is bad if it proves itself as so by the 6th episode.

Or you know, maybe they could just shut up about something he hasn't/ has barely watched.
Apr 15, 2014 12:01 PM

Jun 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
Ckan said:
Zalis said:

6 out of 640 (is that the number now?) would be a laughibly small percentage of episodes, you know. And none is going to stay until the 30th episode in order to tell people that OP is bad if it proves itself as so by the 6th episode.

It depends. As long as your judgments are based solely on what you've seen as you can't really tell what's to come if you haven't seen the rest of it. For OP, I'd say 5-10% of the current length is good enough for a first impression as most of the main cast isn't introduced until episode 30 or so (this also applies to a lot of other long runners as they tend to start slower than normal). And yes, it's 640 right now.

Apr 15, 2014 12:03 PM

Mar 2014
yhunata said:
Lord_Pooka said:
Ckan said:
Zalis said:

Or you know, maybe they could just shut up about something he hasn't/ has barely watched.

Leave them do at will. Nobody's going to shut up just because you said "you barely watched it." We should be open to opinions regardless of how much one saw an anime, and agree and disagree on the criticism than booting the guy off just because "you barely watched it!"

That's democracy.

It depends. As long as your judgments are based solely on what you've seen as you can't really tell what's to come if you haven't seen the rest of it. For OP, I'd say 5-10% of the current length is good enough for a first impression as most of the main cast isn't introduced until episode 30 or so (this also applies to a lot of other long runners as they tend to start slower than normal). And yes, it's 640 right now.

Wow, time got past quick. I remember when I talked about 631 episodes not long ago.
But if One Piece got bad by the 6th episode for a person, nobody's going to stay until the 30th just in order to have their opinion accepted. 30 episodes is longer than your short 26 episodes anime. 30 in order to have otakus take you seriously is still too much. That's why I don't bind myself to how much I watched it before I complain. If its bad, then I'll say it is so. How long I watched that bad thing be damned.
Tsun_PookaApr 15, 2014 12:07 PM
Apr 15, 2014 12:03 PM

Nov 2008
SolBlade said:

It depends. As long as your judgments are based solely on what you've seen as you can't really tell what's to come if you haven't seen the rest of it. For OP, I'd say 5-10% of the current length is good enough for a first impression as most of the main cast isn't introduced until episode 30 or so. And yes, it's 640 right now.

Enduring 64 episodes when you can't stand the character designs/narration style/etc from the first episode would be a torture.
Apr 15, 2014 12:05 PM

Apr 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
yhunata said:
Lord_Pooka said:
Ckan said:
Zalis said:

Leave them do at will. Nobody's going to shut up just because you said "you barely watched it." We should be open to opinions regardless of how much one saw an anime, and agree and disagree on the criticism than booting the guy off just because "you barely watched it!"

That's democracy.

There's just one thing. Hate all they want, they better know what the fuck they're talking about..... which they won't, if they haven't watched said series.
Apr 15, 2014 12:06 PM

Jun 2011
MotRin said:
SolBlade said:

It depends. As long as your judgments are based solely on what you've seen as you can't really tell what's to come if you haven't seen the rest of it. For OP, I'd say 5-10% of the current length is good enough for a first impression as most of the main cast isn't introduced until episode 30 or so. And yes, it's 640 right now.

Enduring 64 episodes when you can't stand the character designs/narration style/etc from the first episode would be a torture.

I did say give or take 2%, so at least 20-30 is fine. It's a long-runner so it's to be expected. The character designs become increasingly bizarre over time so I can understand why someone wouldn't be too fond of them if they didn't like it initially. Kinda like why I can't get people to watch Kaiji.

Apr 15, 2014 12:06 PM

Apr 2011
SolBlade said:
MotRin said:
SolBlade said:

I did say give or take 2%, so at least 20-30 is fine. It's a long-runner so it's to be expected. The character designs become increasingly bizarre over time so I can understand why someone wouldn't be too fond of them if they didn't like it initially. Kinda like why I can't get people to watch Kaiji.

Dem noses.
Apr 15, 2014 12:08 PM

Aug 2012
A show I've never seen? Nah I wouldn't waste my time and energy complaining. I would just forget about it and move on to something I want to see.

Seeing other people complain about shows they've never seen? Lol, I don't give a fuck if they want to be that closed-minded.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 15, 2014 12:08 PM

Jun 2011
yhunata said:
SolBlade said:
MotRin said:
SolBlade said:

Dem noses.

Don't forget about the manly tears.

Apr 15, 2014 12:11 PM

Apr 2011
SolBlade said:
yhunata said:
SolBlade said:
MotRin said:
SolBlade said:

Dem noses.

I should get around watching Kaiji once my exams are over. Seems my type of anime, if I can get over the artstyle.
Apr 15, 2014 12:11 PM

Mar 2014
MotRin said:

Yes. As my edit above points out, its not worthy to torture yourself just to have your opinion approved by anime fans. Complain all you want by watching however long you want.

yhunata said:

There's just one thing. Hate all they want, they better know what the fuck they're talking about..... which they won't, if they haven't watched said series.

Just leave them speak as much as they want out of whatever total of episodes they watched. Nobody's obligated to shut them up and silence their freedom of saying something sucks while not watching a single episode.
Apr 15, 2014 12:12 PM

Apr 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
yhunata said:

Just leave them speak as much as they want out of whatever total of episodes they watched. Nobody's obligated to shut them up and silence their freedom of saying something sucks while not watching a single episode.

Yeah, I usually ignore them. Sometimes, I do feel like taking the bait, though.
Apr 15, 2014 12:14 PM

Jun 2011
yhunata said:
SolBlade said:
yhunata said:
SolBlade said:
MotRin said:
SolBlade said:

Dem noses.

I should get around watching Kaiji once my exams are over. Seems my type of anime, if I can get over the artstyle.

It's definitely worth it if you can get past the art style. If you're a fan of psychological anime then you'll most likely enjoy this one as it's mainly centered around gambling. And the main character is the true definition of moe.

Apr 15, 2014 12:15 PM

Nov 2008
yhunata said:

I like it when people take my bait and get butthurt.
Apr 15, 2014 12:16 PM

Sep 2012
Lord_Pooka said:

yhunata said:

But nobody prevents them from talking, but they shouldn't be surprised if people tell them that their opinion is uninformed.
Apr 15, 2014 12:16 PM

Jun 2011
MotRin said:
yhunata said:

You must be a master baiter.

Apr 15, 2014 12:18 PM

Nov 2008
SolBlade said:
MotRin said:
yhunata said:

You... Hentai!!
Apr 15, 2014 12:21 PM

Dec 2013
MotRin said:
SolBlade said:

You... Hentai!!

I think you're the perv here. What if he was serious about you being a master baiter?
Apr 15, 2014 12:22 PM

Mar 2014
MotRin said:
yhunata said:

Yep. When they know that a person is following their definition of judging an anime without watching it, yet act extremely butthurt. Even though they know it.

Let's summon more of these pleasing people to badmouth the worst shows in anime, KLK included, shall we?
Apr 15, 2014 12:44 PM

Jan 2011
LOGH is old so it must be shit
Apr 15, 2014 12:54 PM

Oct 2012
silversaint said:
LOGH has higher rating than my favorite animu, it's shit
Apr 15, 2014 1:01 PM

Jul 2011
jayss said:
silversaint said:
LOGH has higher rating than my favorite animu, it's shit

But you have Yang in your favs natssuu, why you say that?
Apr 15, 2014 1:19 PM

Sep 2012
TheNaturalPerm said:
you can usually tell how much a show will suck just by reading the description and looking at genres/cover.

examples from this very season: "gochuumon wa usagi desu ka" and "seikoku no dragonar"

nobody needs to see these shows to know how good they are. It's just the usual moe/magical school ecchi bs all over again.
anime doesen't really hide to what kind of people it wants to appeal to. That's just how the anime medium works...even more so than other storytelling ones
Hey, Seikoku no dragonar actually isn't all that bad assuming you know what you were getting into in the first place.

That "dragon" is cute as fucking shit.

OT: Those people who do it a lot are usually just hella ignorant unless they are referring to currently airing seasonal anime.

If you are a seasonal anime watcher, you have to judge each anime based off first impressions to better understand what kind of shows you want to get into each season, so it's more understandable when they do that.
KorrvoApr 15, 2014 1:25 PM
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 15, 2014 5:40 PM

Jun 2007
Ckan said:
Zalis said:

If it's a 2-3 episode OVA, then yeah, 1 episode could be enough. This is imo of course, but 25% is reasonable enough. It gives enough time to get introductions of the characters and the world out of the way, and for the main story or first major arc to get underway. If a given series "gets better" than its initial "book-cover" premise suggests, it's likely to happen within that time frame.

Now yes, obviously super-long runners do throw things out of whack. I don't expect people to watch 160 episodes of One Piece, but I try to go with around 20-30 episodes. I gave Naruto that much, and I at least found it worth watching through the end of the canon content in the 2002 series and into some of the filler. But for the average 13-26 episode series that populate most of each seasonal lineup, 3-7 episodes works well enough.

Of course, if people decide that a show isn't for them and want to drop it early, they're welcome to their opinions and whatever ratings they want to enter into their own lists. Just don't go trying to represent your opinions on how "horrendous" or "awful" a show is with some kind of critical authority, as if you know as much or more than someone who's seen the whole thing. That, is Crystal Ball Criticism at its worst.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Apr 15, 2014 6:03 PM
Jul 2018
yhunata said:

It's fun to watch people talk about a show when they have no clue as to what said show is about. Can say a lot about some people in my opinion. Like I said, it's free entertainment.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » should characters be smart or mature for you to enjoy them?

deg - Yesterday

28 by DesuMaiden »»
5 minutes ago

» Ever stopped watching an anime bc you like it so much ?

Yonahim_Zz - May 8

41 by DesuMaiden »»
6 minutes ago

» For people who have a ''Watching'' list full of anime...

animegamer245 - 3 hours ago

7 by DesuMaiden »»
7 minutes ago

» Would you allow an anime robot resembling an attractive human female to take your virginity?

TsutanaiFuun - 2 hours ago

14 by DesuMaiden »»
9 minutes ago

» If you could change one anime into being a hardcore ecchi, which one would you pick?

APolygons2 - May 9

43 by DesuMaiden »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.