Forum Settings
Forums

Attack on Titan and Neon Genesis Evangelion similarities discussion

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 16, 2014 1:40 AM
Jan 2013
One was a generic shonen with cool monsters the other had emo angst.

Both started of good, but lost their way halfway through.

Too many questions too little answers.

Apr 16, 2014 1:48 AM

Oct 2012
romagia said:
Shrabster said:
JustALEX said:
Here's the only thing you need to know.

NGE has Asuka and SnK doesn't.

Truth. The only female character that's even close to being waifu material in Attack on Titan is Sasha.
>not waifuing mikasa

You can keep your disgusting muscle women sir, I'll stick with Asuka. On topic a lot of people have brought up the similarities between Attack on Titan and Evangelion before and it does definitely seem to take at least some inspiration. I find it's still fairly unique especially in comparison to other recent anime, but that's really as far as my praise for Attack on Titan goes. Maybe it should have taken more inspiration from Evangelion.
ShrabsterApr 16, 2014 1:56 PM

Apr 16, 2014 6:44 AM

Apr 2014
Takaoreo said:
I have an idea, let's start The Nobel Peace Prize MAL submissions thread for writing a 10,000 word essay comparing and contrasting the two.

Oh, and you must explain how one is shit and the other is good just to spice things up and choice of which one you'll be in defense of is writer's choice. Though my biggest challenger will of course go in favor of the latter because LEL NEW SHIT SUX XDDDD

OT: AOT's dub will surpass EVA's by miles, I think the sub for EVA though could be reasonably better than AOT's even if I were to be kind to EVA, a series I openly detest for multiple reasons.

Well I don't recall saying that one is shit, I simply compared the two because I saw the some similarities and thought it'd be fun to point out. Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned this in my OP but I'm talking about the original NGE, the Rebuilds can go out the window here. Original NGE was made in the '90s so of course the dub is going to be bad compared to a 2014, funimation dub. I'm sure the sub was fine though or else it wouldn't have been such a bit to begin with. You can hate Eva and you're very entitled to your opinion, but so is everyone else. Don't be an elitist.
http://www.oocities.com/Tokyo/Lights/8305/

My Favorite Anime>Your Favorite Anime
Apr 16, 2014 6:49 AM

Apr 2014
romagia said:
Shrabster said:
JustALEX said:
Here's the only thing you need to know.

NGE has Asuka and SnK doesn't.

Truth. The only female character that's even close to being waifu material in Attack on Titan is Sasha.
>not waifuing mikasa

You can keep your disgusting muscle women sir, I'll stick with Asuka.
Ill always prefer Rei, but I'd choose Asuka over Mikasa any day.

Apr 16, 2014 9:35 AM

Apr 2012
Can I vomit all over your shitty post?
Apr 16, 2014 10:23 AM
Feb 2014
DiC3Epic said:
Takaoreo said:
I have an idea, let's start The Nobel Peace Prize MAL submissions thread for writing a 10,000 word essay comparing and contrasting the two.

Oh, and you must explain how one is shit and the other is good just to spice things up and choice of which one you'll be in defense of is writer's choice. Though my biggest challenger will of course go in favor of the latter because LEL NEW SHIT SUX XDDDD

OT: AOT's dub will surpass EVA's by miles, I think the sub for EVA though could be reasonably better than AOT's even if I were to be kind to EVA, a series I openly detest for multiple reasons.

Well I don't recall saying that one is shit, I simply compared the two because I saw the some similarities and thought it'd be fun to point out. Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned this in my OP but I'm talking about the original NGE, the Rebuilds can go out the window here. Original NGE was made in the '90s so of course the dub is going to be bad compared to a 2014, funimation dub. I'm sure the sub was fine though or else it wouldn't have been such a bit to begin with. You can hate Eva and you're very entitled to your opinion, but so is everyone else. Don't be an elitist.

Marlin, reeled in. I'm on a roll, whoo!

Durbikins said:
Can I vomit all over your shitty post?

Absolutely, Mr. Baxter.
Apr 20, 2014 4:15 AM

Jan 2013
Apr 20, 2014 4:23 AM
Dec 2013
I think the new anime "Black Bullet" is similar to SnK.
Apr 20, 2014 4:30 AM

Sep 2013
ScazoN said:
I think the new anime "Black Bullet" is similar to SnK.

Its basically Guilty Crown (Gastrea) + Attack on Titan (Barriers).
This is a signature.
Apr 20, 2014 4:32 AM

Jan 2013
the characters in SnK aren't good. in fact they are pretty damn bad. Evangelion on the other hand has pretty good characters

That's it
Apr 20, 2014 4:34 AM

Jan 2013
tearofmankind said:
You are missleaded.

Just look at them. One is deeply philosophical with heavy-symbolic plot, credible characters and hidden meaning. But the other one is shounen aimed at teenagers about formulatic kids fighting some stupid Angels.

Your grammar has been "missleaded"
Apr 20, 2014 4:48 AM

Sep 2011
antonn said:
I think this comparison is better.

I am now glad I came into this thread. 10/10.
Apr 21, 2014 12:59 AM

Mar 2007
TheNaturalPerm said:
the characters in SnK aren't good. in fact they are pretty damn bad. Evangelion on the other hand has pretty good characters

That's it

Rei is pretty much the only good character in Evangelion.
Apr 21, 2014 3:04 AM

Apr 2014
Never compare Attack on Titan with Evangelion again.
DolanDukApr 21, 2014 3:09 AM
Apr 21, 2014 7:02 AM

Aug 2013
If you compare those two anime with those aspect, many other anime have those similarity. basically, you're saying that those anime which have the same concept as evangelion is copying from it.
It's hard to find any original concept these days, and I don't know if there exist any, and what's more original character traits. Shinji, Armin, Shu (guilty crown), Yukki (mirai nikki), same traits.
When people asked 'why are you so quiet?',
just answer 'why are you not?'
Apr 21, 2014 7:36 AM

Apr 2012
both have shit characters

Apr 21, 2014 9:22 AM

Apr 2009
Both are overrated and wanky

Edit: I forgot, they both have an insufferable fanbase :)
Apr 21, 2014 9:38 AM

Jun 2013
Neon Genesis Evangelion is one of the most influential anime out there, along with DBZ and Gundam. Snk was definitely influenced in some way by Evangelion, OP made some legitimately good points.
Apr 21, 2014 9:39 AM

Dec 2012
Litrydow said:
The biggest similarity is that both suck.

I have to agree with this.
Apr 21, 2014 11:46 AM

Apr 2014
It seems like a lot of people here didn't read the whole OP. I said there was a lot of similarities but I was not calling SnK unoriginal. They may have similar concept, but execution of that concept is what makes something unique. I just thought it would be fun to point out a couple of similarities I saw.

Apr 21, 2014 12:00 PM

Oct 2013
romagia said:
yes, AoT is heavily inspired from evangelion, and it's made for the impressionable new generation who has no time for 90's mecha

Nope. it's inspired by muv luv.
Apr 21, 2014 12:01 PM

Oct 2013
mattbenz99 said:
I think the craziest thing he said is that attack on titan is unique. Every thing attack on titan has done has been done before.

Yea, like having giant naked people.
Apr 21, 2014 12:04 PM

Oct 2013
Evatallica said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion is one of the most influential anime out there, along with DBZ and Gundam. Snk was definitely influenced in some way by Evangelion, OP made some legitimately good points.

muv luv, urgh! people do some fucking research!
Apr 21, 2014 12:15 PM

Oct 2008
I think Starship Troopers and Blue Gender have more in common with SnK. looking for similarities with NGE is a bit of stretch... No need to go that far.
Apr 21, 2014 10:13 PM

Apr 2009
keragamming said:
mattbenz99 said:
I think the craziest thing he said is that attack on titan is unique. Every thing attack on titan has done has been done before.

I think you need to learn that not everyone likes the same thing
Apr 21, 2014 10:21 PM

Oct 2013
dannyk93 said:
keragamming said:
mattbenz99 said:

I cant help myself. ;)
Apr 22, 2014 3:41 AM

Nov 2013
Both receive way more credit, and appreciation then they deserve.
Apr 22, 2014 1:22 PM

Feb 2010
dannyk93 said:
keragamming said:
mattbenz99 said:

Liking the show or not is irrelevant, if your statement is groundless anyone with a shred of objectivity will reprimand you. Considering that keragamming replied in a polite manner and without arrogance, I think he showed much more maturity than most in this thread.

Regarding the “uniqueness” of SnK it’s not a mystery that Isayama Hajime took inspiration from other works, but this doesn’t mean that “everything” he wrote is a copy-pasta of previous authors. If anything he took what he considered “good” and developed it in his own way, just like any competent writer should do. I’d like to quote T. S. Eliot to further prove my point: “Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different”. That’s exactly what happened, and even the similarities between SnK and Muv-Luv are limited. The main theme of the latter was science-fiction, whereas in SnK there aren’t parallel worlds or anything like that (at least from what I know). Muv-Luv is an harem, SnK isn’t. In SnK the characters are confined behind huge walls, in Muv-Luv they aren’t. And I can go on forever, but it’s meaningless.
Apr 23, 2014 1:04 PM

Apr 2010
Thread locked

This thread has gone long enough now.
Thread locked for being a yy vs xx thread which is against the board rules.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Who had beef or fought in anime like the current drake vs kendrick lamar?

FarWalker - 21 minutes ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Which anime brings back memories of nostalgia for you?

Gashadokur0 - 12 hours ago

18 by bladecode »»
11 minutes ago

» What happened to magic genre ?

Yonahim_Zz - 1 hour ago

20 by Yonahim_Zz »»
14 minutes ago

» What anime deserve continuations

Idk5008 - 3 hours ago

19 by Arska551 »»
18 minutes ago

» Which anime from this currend season has a scene where time stop?

Nelsolino - 19 minutes ago

0 by Nelsolino »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.