Forum Settings
Forums
New
What is the worth of Great Teacher Onizuka?
It is made of excellence and deserves to be on our Enlightenment list.
57.1%
It is too unremarkable to be on on either of our lists.
21.4%
It is vastly overrated and deserves to be on our Relations list.
0.0%
I have not watched this series because real life teachers are never this cool.
21.4%
14 votes
Apr 13, 2014 7:14 PM

Oct 2012
Great Teacher Onizuka is now up for vote. Decide if it will educate the class of Enlightenment or if it will get bitten by the cobra of Relations.

RULES:
1. You can only vote for a title if you've finished watching/reading it. You must’ve read or watched at least 60% of the published content for unfinished titles. There might be exceptions for very long finished titles – they are decided on a case by case basis, but usually amount to more than half of the published content.

2. Write your vote at the very top of your comment.

3. Below your vote, give a substantial explanation to back it up. It doesn't have to be lengthy; it just needs to cover the points you want to make.

4. If you have only read/watched the adaption/source material of the respective nominee, please state so in your post.

5. It will take a minimum of 5 votes for either Enlightenment or Relations to make it into any of the lists as an anime (3 votes for manga). If it fails to reach that, it will be deemed Invalid.

6. The votes for Enlightenment will have to outnumber the votes for Unremarkable and Relations for it to be included in our list; the same goes for Relations. If it fails to reach that, it will be deemed Unremarkable.

7. Behave yourself. We accept discussions and debate, not flaming and incoherent fanboy/fangirl behavior.

8. The fate of the poll will lie in the hands of the officers if it turns out that there are more first time voters than regulars or the series cannot be gauged by both voting and discussions.

This polling process will last 14 days. BEGIN!
Ducat_RevelApr 27, 2014 5:30 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 18, 2014 5:48 PM

Mar 2009
Enlightening

A whole week, and I still get to have the first vote? All right!

I believe the main reason I heard when deciding whether or not GTO should be repolled was that it is just not as good as the manga. Well, isn't that the truth! Although, that's not the point of the enlightenment list. I think pieces determine their own relevance considering their quality, which shouldn't merely be compared to the source or adaption material. If it's able to stand on its own, then it deserves its position. So, then, the main issue is now deciding if it does hold up on its own. Does it? I think so. Who am I? Just some dude, really.

GTO tells the story of a man who wants to become the best teacher in Japan, because, since he grew up as a delinquent throughout middle and high school, he was treated like crap by teachers. He wanted to do the opposite. Okay, so that sounds like a kinda nice, sappy setup, doesn't it? Did I mention that it's also very funny? Like, very, very funny? GTO is a really charming series, and even when it's not making you laugh, it's likely making you smile. From silly gags, to great on-going setups, and even fun classic anime references to series such as Hokuto no Ken and Doraemon--simultaneously, actually! Everyone views comedy differently, so I can totally understand if others don't appreciate it as much for this. Still, GTO has a lot going on for it, regardless.

I think one of its greatest strengths is in its characters. First, and foremost being Onizuka. Man, he's great. How can one deny his awesomeness? He is incredibly loyal, and his cares are primarily about his students. Because of this, he is always accomplishing great feats to keep them safe and improve their lives. Some people may view him as a bit flat because of his classic cool guy character, but reading all of the former series (Bad Company and Shonan Junai Gumi), I think he has made some great developments. Yes, he's still that awesome badass that always wins, but he has definitely grown up. He's still got his flaws, too. Onizuka isn't a Gary Stu; he's simple-minded, is still a bad role model in many ways (which is one of the things he has to overcome, since he is a teacher, now), and he can't seem to lose his virginity (not that being a virgin is bad, everyone! He's just got every reason to succeed, but blows it because of his awkward quirks and perversion surrounding the whole situation). If he ever has you scared that he's going to let a student down and give up on them, he's soon to save the day in an interesting manner.

The rest of the cast is solid, too. It's great to see Onizuka slowly win over the people who hate him, and seeing those who never appear capable of being kind towards him is this great sense of progression, and a great deal of GTO's charm. It's also nice to see how Onizuka's friends are doing from Shonan Junai Gumi. It would have been nice for Ryuji to play a bigger role, but it's understandable why he didn't. I also wish more of Onizuka's gang showed up, but I don't know what they could really do, so that makes sense, too. One character that really never seems to do anything, besides being pretty and nice, is Fuyutsuki Azusa. That is an unfortunate case, for sure. Still, I don't think it's enough to bring the series down, considering that she is not the main focus of the series.

I never became bored of Onizuka's antics, nor did I get bored of his progression through the school as the respected teacher that everyone loves. I thought it was so cool that it that started as a delinquent series with Bad Company, and changed into the opposite. Typically, delinquent manga have the characters going to a new school, and battling the stronger students through fights until they make it to the top as the ultimate badass. In GTO, however, he came to a new school, and has to win people over through kindness, until everyone likes him. Quite the interesting juxtaposition to Shonan Junai Gumi. Similar, but different in all the right ways.

I look forward to viewing other opinions on this, one of my favorite anime, and one of my first manga. It really got me more into anime, and I don't like any character as much as I like Onizuka. He really carries the show, and it's such a great time seeing him in the spotlight.
AlabastreAizoApr 18, 2014 5:56 PM
Apr 20, 2014 4:24 AM

Jun 2010
Option 1, because that oni practices Buddhism.

I'll be brief and just say that GTO is one of the best overglorified slice of life that have inspired some anime authors to be vulgar and use ribaldry & antics of sort but at the same time be heartfelt and sometimes touching. It is a show that contains a lot of good morals enough to make it to the enlightening list. Although it might be true that it didn't cover most from its main material (though it was also popular enough to earned a live version but I'm getting off topic), the content of the anime is enough to prove a point. GTO is idiotic, but know that idiocy is just a numerical quotient taken from average intelligence divided by what so ever standard deviation of age norm intelligence which can be improved as a person grows up and growing up is what it tries to teach, maturity is something that a person could earned but not gained through simply understanding how to act like a grown up, and since his students are already smart in empirical knowledge which they gained in their educational system since their Asian-derp especially Kanzaki, what they need is a person who grow-up having the rational wisdom of being real person, simply a good well being and contrast to them who is Onizuka. I could go on but I think I already prove my point.
"Deep."
Apr 20, 2014 7:56 AM

Oct 2012
To prepare for this poll, I'm reading the manga. I'm halfway through it, so be prepared for my Option 1 vote soon, guys. >:)
Apr 22, 2014 3:58 AM

Oct 2012
Option 1

Finally reached the Mayu arc in GTO's manga. I guess that's the point where the anime breaks away from its source material, so I'm good to vote now (note: I watched the anime. Reading the manga was just to refresh my memory.)

GTO is an over the top SoL comedy which I didn't find all too funny. The gags run on vulgarity and slap-stick, which range from being bearable to cringe worthy. To be fair, there were instances when I laughed pretty loud, but those were rare.

Now, I'm not one to think funny = good. So while GTO didn't work for me humor-wise, it impressed me thematically and with its characters. And really, that's where the real heart of any SoL story lies.

Onizuka is one of the best shounen leads I know. He's not complex, but he's got complexities. There's more to him than being a vulgar, hot-headed, loud, and slow-witted guy (which he is.) He also has his unwavering resolve, his ability to empathize and connect with his students, his unorthodox method of being a teacher, and his honest and sincere morals. This allows him to get over that one-dimensional slump most of his successors have (looking at you Denpa Kyoushi.) You also see him grow as he continues teaching. His initial drive to teach because high school chicks are hot and young evolves into wanting to make his class see that there's still light and positivity and fun goofy antics to be had. He sees himself in them, and wants them to have the teacher that he needed back then.

The class works too. Individually, there's not a lot of innovation in them. Most of them are built from archetypes, but they grow. They don't lose their rowdiness or "fix their faults" but learn to live with themselves and to take life easy. Each kid also brings the best out of Onizuka and vice versa. This interplay makes for good relation building.

But it's the underlying themes that really win me over. Onizuka represents a positive anti-thesis to the norms of society and education. He proves that you can be a good citizen and a good teacher without conforming. This is if we look at him from the eyes of his students. They're moved by his simplicity, brashness, and down-to-earth ideals. However, the themes prove themselves more complex when they remind us that reality is reality. By the last arc, Onizuka is arrested after sacrificing himself to save Miyabi and this proves that reality will still screw you over for not keeping your head down and playing by the rules.

It shouldn't be interpreted as a defeatist stand. GTO is anything but that. While it reminds as of the consequences of going against the norm, it puts Onizuka in a positive light. Even after becoming a fugitive, he's still held as a man of integrity and good will. And this bittersweet message worked so well, I found the ending scene with Onizuka driving away on his bike to be poignant and powerful.

Maybe the manga is better, but for what it is, GTO glows with warmth and positivity without sacrificing anything to do so. Vote 1 for GTO or gtfo. (I couldn't resist the pun! I'm sorry!)

Edit: I've since finished the manga and can honestly say that the anime beats it without question.
Ducat_RevelJul 12, 2015 3:06 PM
Apr 22, 2014 7:56 AM

Apr 2012
Option 2 - Unremarkable

I can't say much about this show that isn't enlightening, but here goes nothing.
The show's main charm is Onizuka, a brash, impulsive, stupid yet honest man who does his best for his student in rather...questionable ways. The series is pretty cool, and deals with many of the issues these students have, in the process becoming a rather interesting social commentary on Japanese society.
However, the show ends lacking a feeling of completion and has a "go read the manga right now" ending.
And this, unfortunately, prevents it from standing on its own. I've given this show to three people and they've all told me this EXACT SAME criticism. So as much as I love this show (and I'm certain Aizo and Ducat share that love as well) I can't really recommend it until you've read a good portion of the manga, otherwise you'd just feel really, really disappointed. Maybe Aizo and Ducat loved the ending, but I didn't and it didn't sit well with me until I read the manga.

Long story short: Option 2, but I don't really mind for it to be on the enlightenment list.
Cue Aizo shooting me in 5...4...3...2...1...
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Apr 22, 2014 8:00 AM

Oct 2012
sushiisawesome said:
Option 2 - Unremarkable

Aizo, let me take this. *aims rifle*

Sushi, you traitor! >.<
Apr 22, 2014 5:29 PM

Mar 2009
Hahah. I don't mind criticism at all! I think that's an interesting point, so maybe it was my youth, but I didn't mind the ending. I suppose one could add to that, and say the beginning doesn't add the same content as the manga, either. The manga is more a continuation of Shonan Junai Gumi (still, a lot of time is missing), but the anime adapts it to stand alone. Then, in some ways, that's also a good thing.

The friends I've recommended GTO to didn't read the manga, and they seemed to have no issues. If you want to talk about anime that make you read the manga, there's also Cromartie Koukou. It literally says, "If you want to know that, though, you have to go read the manga!" That's also on the enlightenment list--now I'm just ranting...
Apr 23, 2014 6:17 AM

Oct 2012
I'm a bit lost. The "something's missing" criticism is clearly something I'm not getting here. Not criticizing you, Sushi. I just wanna know in what way the anime was lacking (as stand alone material, of course.)
Apr 23, 2014 7:11 AM

Apr 2012
Ducat_Revel said:
I'm a bit lost. The "something's missing" criticism is clearly something I'm not getting here. Not criticizing you, Sushi. I just wanna know in what way the anime was lacking (as stand alone material, of course.)

Closure?
That was what I and many others felt it was lacking.
I will say this though; if not that many people vote, but it's clear that you guys are winning, I'm more than willing to change my vote to Enlightening. I really don't have much against the show being on the enlightenment list save for feeling incomplete.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Apr 23, 2014 7:17 AM

Oct 2012
sushiisawesome said:

Closure?
I will say this though; if not that many people vote, but it's clear that you guys are winning, I'm more than willing to change my vote to Enlightening. I really don't have much against the show being on the enlightenment list save for feeling incomplete.

I guess I'll rewatch the whole last arc to see this. And to be fair, the manga is a lot heftier and develops a lot better. Still 40 chapters from completion so no spoiling. Also, is it wrong that I'm all for Urumi x Onizuka? I just can't help it.
Apr 23, 2014 8:47 AM

Apr 2013
Ducat_Revel said:
sushiisawesome said:

Closure?

I guess I'll rewatch the whole last arc to see this. And to be fair, the manga is a lot heftier and develops a lot better. Still 40 chapters from completion so no spoiling. Also, is it wrong that I'm all for Urumi x Onizuka? I just can't help it.
Well I agree that an incomplete show is a reasonable criticism to any extent, but it doesn't have an ending lets say like Berserk's television series ending, and that is on the Enlightenment List also.
I will probably write up my vote tomorrow. I would do it now but it's 2:00 AM here at the moment and I just discharged from hospital so I want to rest because this extra dose of anesthesia is making me numb.
JodyqtApr 23, 2014 8:52 AM
Apr 23, 2014 9:32 AM

Apr 2013
Option 2 - Unremarkable

I am sorry Aizo, Ducat.. ;_;

Now, to the argument:
I'm pretty much agree with some aspects that Aizo and Ducat already mentioned, like Onizuka as a good character etc. but there are two things that hinder me from voting enlightenment, especially for the anime adaptation:

First of all is about the very first reason as to why the class hate their homeroom teacher. Okay, I may be wrong about this and would be glad for any correction in case I miss something. The reason is a little bit different between the manga and anime, but both reasons has the same aspect: They are horrible and the whole class know about it(?This is the part that I may be wrong though). So then the class has a driving motive to hate the teachers.
But what happen when Onizuka brainwash them? they immediately forget about it. It's like the whole class suddenly thought "ah, it's no big deal, better play with the fun teacher". Maybe it's because Tohru want to keep it secret for Miyabi's arc, but still, why would the class just put it aside until Miyabi's arc came? Why would like they pretend it's nothing even though they were shouting about how the former teacher hurt them? It's just.. strange. And for me, it gives a big minus for all the students except Urumi that had her own reason.
Arguably, this part about the "hating reason" may not be really important since it's brushed aside until Miyabi's arc, or that the whole point is about Onizuka's teaching. But still, I can't brushed it aside since it makes the students behavior unreasonable for me.

Hoo boy, that is pretty long for me.. anyway, the second one is, though seems a bit unfair, is the production value. I agree when Aizo said that an adaptation should be able to stand on its own regarding quality, apart from its original source. Hence I would like to say that GTO anime is really bland. Okay, the anime is from 1999, and it may not age well, but I still can't say anything good about the production value apart from a decent OST. The animation fails to recreate Tohru's jokes for me, whether it's the famous facial jokes or the dirty jokes. They just don't work imho. I may be nitpicking here, but I just can't find the Anime to be watchable.

There are actually several things that I have a problem with on GTO itself, though I can't find a good way to word them right now.
So, yeah, option 2. GTO anime is not something I would regard as enlightening or suggest to anyone tbh.

Ducat_Revel said:
is it wrong that I'm all for Urumi x Onizuka?
Ohh Ducat.. you little pedophile =3 JK2, and it's not like I use pedophile in the right context XD
doraemon1992Apr 23, 2014 9:38 AM
Apr 23, 2014 9:39 AM

Jan 2013
Ducat_Revel said:
sushiisawesome said:
Option 2 - Unremarkable

Aizo, let me take this. *aims rifle*

Sushi, you traitor! >.<

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv0UNjgG33s

Maybe I should get around to finishing GTO for the hell of it SOMEDAY though. :3
Apr 24, 2014 1:21 PM

Apr 2013
Enlightening

"Where did that man go who came through that gate 29 years ago with ideals and hope for education?" Those words quoted directly by the vice principal is what I believe to be the very core of what this series is getting at. I imagine many teachers face this issue in the workplace (I wouldn't know I am not a teacher) but I imagine many enthusiastic people always dream of making a change in the workplace that they are apart of but reality always entails a rather depressing perspective to this. How far can one go against the system?
I don't know about you guys, but I always had an issue with the way a lot of my teachers taught me at school, it was like many of them were missing the whole point on what it meant to be a teacher and many were not actively embracing the opportunities associated with learning. Like Aizo pointed out, it surrounds the central aspects of teaching that some here would probably be familiar with. It's a spark of light in the face of adversity.
I also believed this is made most prominent by the anime series conclusion, though it doesn't provide closure, what it does provide is how dangerous it is to go so far against the system that is forcing people into this method of education and pretty much cements the theme being dealt with.
I'm going to have to agree with everyone that Onizuka is a great character and the show is worth watching based off of him alone, and he provides great entertainment for the entire shows duration, not a dull moment. And I do like the bit of social commentary that he provides as a character.
The other characters are all well developed as well, though all of them lack the development that Onizuka gets, the end results are entertaining to watch, and each character has their own clear cut objectives that they wish to achieve. And these side stories are touched upon in every episode, without any noticeable overarching story-line, this format works well and works as a driving force for the series with the quality never dropping. An issue I had with this set-up though is that some these can get a bit repetitive, the most obvious one being the Vice Principal's intentions of getting Onizuka fired and Miyura's groups intentions of getting Onizuka fired (I'll get to this a bit later), but this repetition becomes a major tool for the series character development as it becomes the main method of Onizuka showing every character how competent he is as a teacher.

There were a couple of aspects of the series that almost made me gave the series an unremarkable vote and I shall elaborate as to why, I remember being a little pissed off at many of the students in the series based on the reasons of them being 'dicks' about the whole hating teacher affair, even though what happened was admittedly rather terrible in any case, going so far to hate all teachers/adults seems to be a little stupid. Though in defense of this statement, not once when I was at school did I see some student in class that actively picked on teachers or adults for that matter, and the reasons comparatively are more favorable for the students of class 3 -4 in Great Teacher Onizuka.
My other qualm with the series is as others said, that the series is an incomplete adaption, but as I mentioned above, the series ending works well with the concept being talked about, even though it could have been developed upon further.

As for production elements, the series has aged fairly well though some of the scenes have some notable short-cut animation and the ost has some nice tracks, but doesn't stand out as an ost that strongly holds the series, but production elements in the face of story and character are second when it comes to judging a shows enlightenment.

I for one love a series with a good concept and when a series such as GTO takes that concept and puts it into a positive possibly bittersweet light I can't help but love it. Enlightening.
Apr 27, 2014 4:51 AM

May 2013
Option 1: Enlightening

Most has been said about it already, so I will keep myself brief. Yes, the plot is very straightforward; Yes, not all the jokes hit the right spot; Yes, the ending could have been better. Still, GTO is an amazing show, mainly because of the way it develops its characters.

Onizuka as the protagonist is the most obvious one and consequently he develops the most, but virtually everyone in the large supporting cast gets his/her fair share of focus and well-crafted development, and in return helps developing Onizuka. As a result the show has basically zero filler, which is always a good thing.

On a final, personal note, I also found the OST to be amazing.

Apr 27, 2014 5:30 PM

Oct 2012
With 5 votes for Enlightening and 2 votes for Unremarkable, I draw this poll to a close. Thank you for voting.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.