Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 13, 2014 7:10 PM

Jan 2014
Honestly I think the western definition of Anime is riduculous. It is so typical that we westerners/americans, take a word used in another culture and give it a completely different meaning.

Anime - an abbreviated pronunciation of the japanese word for animation. That word was borrowed from english, and essentially their word for animation, is the english word animation. They use it for all animation, then they shortened it down to anime and now we westerners reimported our own word animation abbreviated, because we couldn`t abbreviate the flipping word ourselves. Now we use this reimported, shortened word for all animation to describe ONLY animation made in japan? Now that is fucked up.

Perhaps we imported this japanese abbreviation for some other stupid reason, like we needed to separate japanese styled animation from our own animation style by using the same word that we use for our animation just with 4 letters cut off and an a replaced with an e at the end.

Oh but wait, it isn`t just japanese animation we call anime, plenty of anime from other asian/oriental countries are counted as anime. But for some reason only anime from the asian countries, because if lets say Sweden made an anime (now I`m using the redefined definition of anime, not the stupid western definition) animated in japanese style, it would not be an anime (in the stupid western definition). It would not be an anime because it was made and directed in Sweden, a measly change in geographical location. It would be a "swedish cartoon". That is stupid.

Anime is a word for all animation, or at the VERY least any animation in the japanese STYLE, not japanese/asian/oriental geographical location. Now you can debate style alot, as style varies so much from anime to anime. But anime is animation and it needs a broader definition that it has now, without this confinement by a crappy geographical condition.

If you are looking for a word to describe what the stupid western definition of anime does use nihon anime (which means japanese anime), oriental anime or something like that.

If the people agree to redefining the definition of anime, back to what it originally means in japanese, I hope that MAL can let Anime (the proper japanese definition of Anime again) that is made worldwide, be added onto the site. Perhaps if Anime is only redefined to the point of meaning animation made in japanese/oriental style, MAL will let any animation that is made in that style onto the site.

A few useful links:

Japanese words for animation:
http://rut.org/cgi-bin/j-e/FG=r/dosearch?sDict=on&H=PS&L=E&T=animation&WC=none&FG=r&BG=b&S=26

Western crappy definition of anime:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/anime?q=anime

Wikipedia page on Anime:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

Peace. It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale.
Are you so busy fighting you cannot see your own ship has set sail? - Iroh
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 13, 2014 7:11 PM

Mar 2013
You aren't going to get Avatar Air Bender to be listed on MAL.

Just stop.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Apr 13, 2014 7:13 PM
Apr 2013
Yes. Spongebob should be added to MAL anime database according to your definition of anime.
Apr 13, 2014 7:14 PM

Apr 2013
Is it really that big of a deal?
an egomaniac and a fool

Apr 13, 2014 7:15 PM

Sep 2012
This is why people think anime fans are nerds.
Apr 13, 2014 7:18 PM

Jul 2007
Yes, anime is the Japanese word for animation, referring to all animation the world over. The western world uses this word to refer specifically to Japanese animation, and this website is driven by western traffic, so it uses the western definition.

Create your own global animation database if you have a problem with this.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Apr 13, 2014 7:19 PM

Mar 2014
worldeditor11 said:
Yes. Spongebob should be added to MAL anime database according to your definition of anime.

But senpai, spongebob is so kawaiiii..
Apr 13, 2014 7:21 PM

Apr 2012
When can we redefine Breaking Bad as anime?

Apr 13, 2014 7:24 PM

Mar 2013
Zeally said:

Only as soon as we can classify GoT as anime.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Apr 13, 2014 7:25 PM

Jul 2011
Oh wow, this changes everything that i was thinking until now, thanks you.
Apr 13, 2014 7:26 PM

Aug 2013
b-b-but... i'm not Japanese...
now i'll seem like a total weeb...

Apr 13, 2014 7:31 PM

Sep 2012
pLaguE_ said:
worldeditor11 said:

http://static.zerochan.net/SpongeBob.SquarePants.full.1368743.jpg
Apr 13, 2014 7:32 PM

Mar 2014
Red_Keys said:
pLaguE_ said:
worldeditor11 said:

Link no work, but I'm sure it is kawaii.
Apr 13, 2014 7:32 PM

Aug 2013
Red_Keys said:
pLaguE_ said:
worldeditor11 said:

Squidward is hot

Apr 13, 2014 7:36 PM

Jun 2012
They're all cartoons anyhow, just shut the fuck up and suck on your kiwi lalys.
Apr 13, 2014 7:40 PM

Jul 2011
DerpHole said:
Zeally said:

Only as soon as we can classify GoT as anime.

There's incest and plenty of fanservice, it's a good start already.
Apr 13, 2014 7:40 PM

Nov 2008
First a sub vs dub war, now an anime definition war?

dis gonna be gud.
Apr 13, 2014 7:42 PM

Jul 2012
worldeditor11 said:

Yes please

Old Spongebob>Every non-Mecha anime ever made
הלב שלי כבר מת
Apr 13, 2014 7:42 PM

Feb 2012
Red_Keys said:

Nerds are smart.
Apr 13, 2014 7:43 PM

Jul 2011
Red_Keys said:

Using nerd as a derogatory term when you have 11.5k posts on a forum makes you sound like a huge tool.
Apr 13, 2014 7:44 PM

Feb 2012
DoctorDoom said:
Nerds are smart.

I thought it was the geeks who were smart.
Apr 13, 2014 7:45 PM

Jan 2013
Red_Keys said:
pLaguE_ said:
worldeditor11 said:

are we not funding this? absurd
Apr 13, 2014 7:45 PM

Jun 2013
I once asked my father if he knew what anime was. He said "it's those cartoons that have short people with big heads and eyes". I said "no, that's only the bad anime."
Apr 13, 2014 7:47 PM

Sep 2012
Lanvidia said:
Red_Keys said:

Using nerd as a derogatory term when you have 11.5k posts on a forum makes you sound like a huge tool.
There's a difference between posting on a forum, and creating threads meticulously and angrily arguing the definition of a fucking word.

It's the anal retentive and finicky attitude that I'm commenting on. But thanks for your input.
Apr 13, 2014 7:48 PM

Jan 2014
It`s not going to be war, original definition vs broken language ;) But hoy most people will stick with what they feel like and not logic and definitions, thus it actually might be a war =D

dis gonna be gud.
Apr 13, 2014 7:50 PM

Jan 2014
I believe great mr Red_Keys is having fun ;)
Apr 13, 2014 7:51 PM
Apr 2013
Atsilan said:
It`s not going to be war, original definition vs broken language ;) But hoy most people will stick with what they feel like and not logic and definitions, thus it actually might be a war =D

dis gonna be gud.

So, are you suggesting that the name of this site should change to MyAnimationList?
Apr 13, 2014 7:53 PM

Aug 2013
Red_Keys said:
Lanvidia said:
Red_Keys said:

There's a difference between posting on a forum, and creating threads meticulously and angrily arguing the definition of a fucking word.

It's the anal retentive and finicky attitude that I'm commenting on. But thanks for your input.
LOL you are one to talk, always defending weak loser cry babies like Yuki to the death. That's pure nerdiness.

On Topic : Anime are Japanese cartoons/thread
Apr 13, 2014 7:56 PM

Jun 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
Red_Keys said:
Lanvidia said:
Red_Keys said:

LOL you are one to talk, always defending weak loser cry babies like Yuki to the death. That's pure nerdiness.

On Topic : Anime are Japanese cartoons/thread

Dude, I think that is the same person I saw bitching ENDLESSLY in a thread about least liked genres. He made me want to /facedesk so bad.
Apr 13, 2014 7:57 PM

Jan 2014
worldeditor11 said:
Atsilan said:

dis gonna be gud.

So, are you suggesting that the name of this site should change to MyAnimationList?

Good one xD

To be clear that is what MAL already is named ;) I don`t mind the abbreviation, only the geographical restrictions on what is and is not Anime.
Apr 13, 2014 7:58 PM

Sep 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
Red_Keys said:
Lanvidia said:
Red_Keys said:

Nah, that's pure empathy. And common sense.

Cause you know, I don't have ridiculous expectations of 14 year olds. But this is off topic.
Apr 13, 2014 8:00 PM

Aug 2013
Red_Keys said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Red_Keys said:
Lanvidia said:
Red_Keys said:

Nah, that's pure empathy. And common sense.

Cause you know, I don't have ridiculous expectations of 14 year olds. But this is off topic.
I would expect a 14 year old not to cry over every little thing. Oh no Yuno saw my baby pictures wah wah wah.
Apr 13, 2014 8:05 PM

Sep 2012
Yikes.

I hope you never become a parent, or hold any employment where you work with children.
Apr 13, 2014 8:07 PM

Mar 2008
Sparks are flying in the second round! Nobody is pulling their punches tonight, folks. We are sure to be in for a thrilling ride, one rife with rancid rancour and sniggering bafflement.
From the white corner we have the Stirrer! New to the vicious cycle of mish-mash-mal, he's an up-and-comer with a piercing, yet solid right hook. His opening blow has left the field red and angry with indignant foes. Will he make it through the night, or will this be the last we see of our brave challenger?
Of prominence in the home corner we have the fan-favourite counter-flinging monster Keystapo. Nobody who stands in his way will be left unscathed!
Oh, but now we have Red and Green stepping up the front-line, and there's no telling what'll happen now folks!
OH OH OH! GREEN IS IN THE FIGHT. I repeat, GREEN IS IN THE FIGHT! Things are going to get messy now. Can the backhand master take on Keys? This old grudge might just be singing its final song tonight, 'cause the gloves are off! STAY TUNED.
Apr 13, 2014 8:09 PM

Jan 2014
Red_Keys said:
Lanvidia said:
Red_Keys said:

I came off angry? I guess I used CAPSLOCK a bit much or I have been a bit too frustrated with America/the west lately... xD It wasn`t anger, don`t feed me to the rancors yet plz.

Anyway I don`t mind being called a nerd/wierd etc, thx for the compliment. =P
Apr 13, 2014 8:09 PM

Jul 2007
Atsilan said:
worldeditor11 said:
Atsilan said:

dis gonna be gud.

Good one xD

To be clear that is what MAL already is named ;) I don`t mind the abbreviation, only the geographical restrictions on what is and is not Anime.

Uniting eastern and western animation under one banner is admirable, but this site is explicitly for discussion animation as it derives from Japan. Changing the definition will not change that.
Apr 13, 2014 8:12 PM

Aug 2013
Red_Keys said:
Yikes.

I hope you never become a parent, or hold any employment where you work with children.
Why not? I am very good with children. @Ckan No fight here only love and peace.
Apr 13, 2014 8:15 PM

Jan 2014
Ckan said:
This old grudge might just be singing its final song tonight, 'cause the gloves are off! STAY TUNED.

Brilliant xD
This made me wantl go ham for the hell of it. IT IS ON!
Apr 13, 2014 8:31 PM

Jan 2014
Splitter said:
Atsilan said:
worldeditor11 said:

Good one xD

Uniting eastern and western animation under one banner is admirable, but this site is explicitly for discussion animation as it derives from Japan. Changing the definition will not change that.

1* So what you are saying is that this site will only take animation that is from Japan? That this site is explicitly for discussion of animation from the geographic region of japan and not all japanese styled animation?

2* Why would you not want to discuss animation in the japanese style made outside the borders of Japan on MAL?

3* Do you agree that the western definition of Anime is off?
Apr 13, 2014 8:38 PM

Jul 2007
Atsilan said:
Splitter said:
Atsilan said:
worldeditor11 said:

Good one xD

1* So what you are saying is that this site will only take animation that is from Japan? That this site is explicitly for discussion of animation from the geographic region of japan and not all japanese styled animation?

2* Why would you not want to discuss animation in the japanese style made outside the borders of Japan on MAL?

1. Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

2. I would and do. It's far easier to find people online and offline to discuss western animation than people to discuss anime. Have you never heard of Toonzone?

3. I think anime is defined one of two ways and you're hardfast as defining it in the eastern sense, when most people here would define it in the western sense. Yes, we could consider "anime" as meaning animation... but we already have the word "animation" and if we did that, people would find another way to divide the two. Would you really like to go back to calling it Japanimation? I know I don't.
Apr 13, 2014 8:58 PM

Jan 2014
Splitter said:
Atsilan said:
Splitter said:

2. I would and do. It's far easier to find people online and offline to discuss western animation than people to discuss anime. Have you never heard of Toonzone?

3. I think anime is defined one of two ways and you're hardfast as defining it in the eastern sense, when most people here would define it in the western sense. Yes, we could consider "anime" as meaning animation... but we already have the word "animation" and if we did that, people would find another way to divide the two. Would you really like to go back to calling it Japanimation? I know I don't.

1. Alright could you refer me to the thread explaining why we deal with animation only from the geographic region of japan? I need alot of persuasion before I can agree with the dismissal of japanese style anime made outside japanese borders.

A edit of question no 2 to make it more clear: why would you not want to discuss japanese style animation made outside of the borders of Japan on MAL, highlighting the word MAL and japanese style. could you clarify your answer?

I don`t mean we need to add spongebob, but at least leave some leeway for some of the animations where the artwork is in/close to japanese style? Why would that be something bad?

And no I have not really heard of toonzone, I generally only watch japanese style animations, with some exeptions of course. Perhaps I should check it out.

On your answer to question no 3. I`m also not saying that we should call it Japanimation, but we should find a better term for Japanese style animation and animation that originates in Japan. I really dislike this western definition.

They can divide it into genres/styles, but the term needs to reflect style of animation, not geographical location. Anime should not be the word we use for animation from Japan. Nihonime, japanimation xD I don`t know what term we come up with next, but isn`t it good to discuss this? Make some waves? I don`t care what most people do, alot of the time people do things wrong and a little knowledge and logic wont be bad for anyone. Specifying a definition is good if the definition is lacking, no matter how many people use it in a certain way. Just like the word gay should not be used as a derogatory slur, screw how people use it, it means happy or more recently homosexual, neither of those should be used as derogatory slurs.
AtsilanApr 13, 2014 9:03 PM
Apr 13, 2014 9:25 PM

Jun 2012
You're not going to get any western cartoon in the MAL database. Deal with it.
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Apr 13, 2014 9:29 PM
Nov 2008
'Japanime.' There, now the op is pointless.
Apr 13, 2014 9:29 PM

Jul 2007
Atsilan said:
Splitter said:
Atsilan said:
Splitter said:

1. Alright could you refer me to the thread explaining why we deal with animation only from the geographic region of japan? I need alot of persuasion before I can agree with the dismissal of japanese style anime made outside japanese borders.

A edit of question no 2 to make it more clear: why would you not want to discuss japanese style animation made outside of the borders of Japan on MAL, highlighting the word MAL and japanese style. could you clarify your answer?

I don`t mean we need to add spongebob, but at least leave some leeway for some of the animations where the artwork is in/close to japanese style? Why would that be something bad?

And no I have not really heard of toonzone, I generally only watch japanese style animations, with some exeptions of course. Perhaps I should check it out.

On your answer to question no 3. I`m also not saying that we should call it Japanimation, but we should find a better term for Japanese style animation and animation that originates in Japan. I really dislike this western definition.

They can divide it into genres/styles, but the term needs to reflect style of animation, not geographical location. Anime should not be the word we use for animation from Japan. Nihonime, japanimation xD I don`t know what term we come up with next, but isn`t it good to discuss this? Make some waves? I don`t care what most people do, alot of the time people do things wrong and a little knowledge and logic wont be bad for anyone. Specifying a definition is good if the definition is lacking, no matter how many people use it in a certain way. Just like the word gay should not be used as a derogatory slur, screw how people use it, it means happy or more recently homosexual, neither of those should be used as derogatory slurs.

It's the forum's modus operandi. There is no one thread discussing why we deal with Japanese animation because that's the entire point of the website. If you want to discuss western animation here, there's a thread for that in the Music & Entertainment subforum.

I don't mind discussing animation outside Japan on this website, but it's not the primary reason I come to this website. I, like most everyone else on this website, primarily come here to discuss animation of Japanese origin. It's not a dismissal of animation of other countries, but again, I already have plenty of people in real life that I can discuss western animation with as well as online that a forum isn't particularly necessary to ask "hey, have you seen Adventure Time?"

I know that adding anime-influenced animation to the list is the primary reason you are bringing this up, but the others make a good point. If you allow shows like Avatar in, you are leaving the door wide open. You can argue all you want not to include Spongebob, but the flipside exists in that "but you allow something like Panty and Stocking". The door is open to animation of Japanese origin. That's the purpose of the site, not all animation. I redirect you to my first post. If you want a global animation database, create one yourself. Don't force others to change their site due to your personal belief on what the site should be.

More to the point, why the hell are you complaining about the lack of western animation when you don't even watch it yourself?! Yes, go check out Toonzone. It's the leading site for western animation discussion, that is assuming you actually care and this isn't all "waaah I want to add Avatar to my MAL"

Are you insinuating "anime" is a derogatory slur for Japanese animation? I don't even anymore.
Apr 13, 2014 9:37 PM

Aug 2013
MAL does seem biased when it comes to animation. If Korean cartoons can be added to the database then why can't cartoons that were partly animated in Japan such as Thundercats, Boondocks also be included? Korean cartoons are not anime.
Apr 13, 2014 9:40 PM

Nov 2010
DrGeroCreation said:
MAL does seem biased when it comes to animation. If Korean cartoons can be added to the database then why can't cartoons that were partly animated in Japan such as Thundercats, Boondocks also be included? Korean cartoons are not anime.
Because those are just outsourced. Then the Simpsons, Family Guy, and a lot of other American cartoons would be allowed in.

And my MAL's definition, they are.
Apr 13, 2014 9:42 PM

Aug 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Because those are just outsourced. Then the Simpsons, Family Guy, and a lot of other American cartoons would be allowed in.

Still doesn't explain why Korean cartoons are in the database. Anime refers to JAPANESE cartoons.
Apr 13, 2014 9:50 PM

Nov 2010
DrGeroCreation said:
IntroverTurtle said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Still doesn't explain why Korean cartoons are in the database. Anime refers to JAPANESE cartoons.
MAL's definition doesn't refer to only Japanese animation.

And MAL used to accept all different kinds of animation, but eventually had to cut a lot of stuff. They ended up keeping only Chinese, Korean, and Japanese animation. Don't remember exactly why, ask Kineta if you want to know.
Apr 13, 2014 9:51 PM
Feb 2014
Some questions are better left unanswered
Somethings are better to not look into
I only read books i have already read
Apr 13, 2014 9:58 PM

Aug 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
DrGeroCreation said:
IntroverTurtle said:
DrGeroCreation said:

MAL's definition doesn't refer to only Japanese animation.

And MAL used to accept all different kinds of animation, but eventually had to cut a lot of stuff. They ended up keeping only Chinese, Korean, and Japanese animation. Don't remember exactly why, ask Kineta if you want to know.
MAL's definition is very strange and kind of confusing then because it doesn't adhere to either the western or Japanese definition of anime.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

2 by LostSpectre »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

136 by FanofAction »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 3 hours ago

18 by Vaturna »»
38 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 57 minutes ago

2 by LightWorker »»
39 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 7 hours ago

23 by Horshu »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.