Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2008 4:51 PM
Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The storyline for "Nadia" is loosely based on Jules Verne's novel "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea." This episode, in which Jean, Nadia, and King are rescued by an American battleship commanded by the trigger-happy Melville and occupied by a flaky "scientist" named Ayerton, plays out in a way that you'd expect from the original novel. This is evidenced at the culmination of the episode when a shadowy metallic menace with glowing red eyes--supposedly sea monsters who sank numerous ships beneath the waves--attacks and damages the battleship, sending Jean, Nadia, and King overboard into the water.

The episode builds carefully to its climax, and inbetween we have some hilarious interplay between Grandis, Sanson, and Hanson, thanks to the very humourous performances by Sarah Richardson, Martin Blacker, and Corey Gagne, respectively. (That's right, I watched this series with the dub, and personally, i think it's a very underrated one!)

We also learn that Jean and Nadia have different views about the world in general: cheerful and everoptimistic Jean is enthusiastic about technological wonders and is thrilled to be on the latest battleship, eager to make friends with the captain. Nadia, by contrast, is not so thrilled--she only sees the ship as a machine for killing, and as such, distrusts the crew and captain. We also find that she is a very strict vegetarian and a pacifist--she will not eat meat or fish, even though she lets King munch on sausages. Furthermore, she vehemently demands the captain not to kill the approaching sea monster, claiming to be defending an "innocent creature," even though the captain sternly tells her that the menace has sunk many ships beneath the ocean. One can see validity in some of Nadia's points, but her instance on standing by her beliefs and imposing them on others makes causes problems for everyone around her, even Jean. Some episodes take this extreme aspect of Nadia's personality too far, but here it's subtly presented without being overbearing.

The best aspect about this episode is that it maintains a building sense of interest, encouraging one to continue watching even when there are long stretches of dialogue interspersing masterfully crafted action scenes.
Dec 10, 2009 7:53 PM

Feb 2009
Just started watching Nadia and I had to comment on this episode, it was so good. The attack of the "sea monster" was really exciting, and seeing the reactions of both Nadia and Jean aboard the battleship showed how unique and different characters they are. Still, their chemestry is really charming.
Jan 24, 2012 8:16 PM

Jun 2009
Good episode, the first one I can say I really enjoyed. Like Veethorn said, the chemistry between the two leads is good and I like how their differences are highlighted in this episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 26, 2014 9:22 PM

May 2011
It was pretty obvious that they weren't being attacked by monsters but by subs. We can clearly hear that metallic sound.

It looks that Nadia can somehow communicate with animals.
Aug 16, 2016 5:17 PM

Jun 2016
This show creates a fantastic atmosphere and keeps getting me really intrigued for the next episode. Really glad I picked this up. Even the side characters in this show are awesome.
Sep 11, 2016 5:30 PM

Jan 2010
The Abraham? As in the USS Abraham Lincoln? Oh dear, this won't end well.

Nadia brought up ethics of technology, which I thought was interesting, though brief. Then it was discussed that she might have been a vegetarian, though it was quickly tossed aside for reasons of plot. Seems like she feels bad about killing animals in general, which was then brought up again when the sea creature was being targeted, though she didn't give a response to when it was explained that the creature killed a number of other sailors at sea. Kind of a weak psuedo-environmental message there, especially how she kept parroting how she felt pity for the creature when it was actively trying to kill them.

The Abraham took forever to try and find the creature in the novel, and here they found it just after 4 days. In the novel, the motivation was actually the bounty for reeling in the creature, rather than revenge or justice. The sailors were out for money and/or blood.

Interesting how Ayerton mentioned the sea creature was a mammal. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea mentioned that if it wasn't a secret technological weapon, might have been a narwhal, given that it managed to scar and pierce metal hauls by just ramming other ships.
Aug 26, 2017 1:53 PM

Dec 2015
Captain Meville vs sea monster? Between the intrigue and the names, it calls back both 20 000 lieues sous les mers and Melville's Moby-Dick. Wasn't "Ayrton" a character from some other Vernes novel? (can't find the name)

5/5 Another episode better than good.

I'm not sure that Nadia's vegetarianism should be seen as a strong part of an ecological theme: Anno is himself vegetarian and he made Eva's Rei the same.
Aug 28, 2017 9:25 AM
Jan 2008
Rei366 said:
I'm not sure that Nadia's vegetarianism should be seen as a strong part of an ecological theme.

The idea with Nadia is that while her stand on being a vegetarian is understandable and relatable, she sometimes comes across as too extreme about it, to the point where he comes across as though she's putting down her friends. The message of the story to me seems to be that while Nadia is entitled to have her opinions about what she should eat and of loving animals, imposing them on others and putting anyone down who doesn't share her views is downright disrespectful and mean. Then again, blame that on 13 years of being unloved at the circus.
Sep 18, 2017 3:35 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I had forgotten how patiently and carefully the story proceeds with massive inspiration from Jules Vernes 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. Great buildup-
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 29, 2018 2:51 AM

Nov 2013
This bitch Nadia is annoying little shit. She's always whining and never doing anything.
I wish she died.
Mar 14, 2018 10:33 AM

Nov 2011
So far I have not seen forcing in the narration and the story with this episode becomes much more interesting. The mysteries are intriguing, I can not wait to re-discover them.
May 18, 2018 8:21 PM

May 2012
Those don't look like living things, more like submarines to me... pretty interesting development though we get a broader look on the story! Looking forwards to see what's next!
Nov 2, 2018 6:55 AM

Mar 2014
A vegetarian, huh? That makes me like Nadia a little less...
I guess it goes along with her character, but c'mon...

At least she knows that a lion needs to eat meat.

Aside from that, I really like how Jean is so enamored by the battleship. Oh, and the scene where they fire upon Granvis and her goons was pretty good. I like how their robot was waving the white flag afterwards, lol.
::End of Transmission::

Aug 25, 2019 4:08 PM

Aug 2017
Making Nadia a vegetarian makes sence since she's (supposedly) of Indian origins, and there're (and have always been) a lot of vegetarians among them.
Feb 20, 2020 3:14 PM

Jan 2014
Very nice episode! Animation, art style and sound are all on point per usual :D

LOL Jean I do not think bailing water out of the aircraft at that rate will be very effective XD for an ingenuitive inventor you have some interesting solutions to severe situations but that is part of your likability and at least you are trying to fix the problem at hand!

You are absolutely correct Grandis the word beautiful was definitely created with you in mind 🤗 and Jean refers to you as a Senorita this episode a very accurate title of course I would have used a sexy sizzling Senorita but I am a sucker for alliteration and a bit strange at that ^-^

Nadia Nadia Nadia SMH you were winning me over and being so likable and then you complain about all these things despite the situation you and Jean are in. Yes most people do not like killing but that Abraham Battleship (excellent name for an American vessel by the way) protected you from the bad guy trio who had nearly captured you and has backed you both into a corner where all you could do was run away; plus haven't you heard of walk softly but carry a big stick? It is quite an effective method! 😁

Plus look its perfectly fine if you are a vegetarian but you shouldn't act like killing animals for food is in of itself an evil act it is done to survive. Much like how King needs to eat meat (funny how he is somehow different from man eating meat yet those sausages came from man kind so he would have to hunt normally increasing his risk of getting hurt or killed) Humans are omnivores by and large and the way our ancestors evolved, survived and grew stronger was generations of a diet of essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients from vegetation and yes other animals. To cut either one out of a diet is not healthy in the long term for you or your future children (barring some medical condition) as both are needed for a healthy balance!

And finally (sorry to go on like this but Nadia just brought these things up at such inopportune times that I just had to shake my head and comment on them 🤣) Nadia yes senseless killing of animals is wrong but these sea creatures (clearly advanced submarines but it doesn't quite roll off the tongue XP) have taken innocent lives and are a potential threat to the ship that is helping you maybe this isnt the best time or the position to make ridiculous demands of the Captain 😄

Grandis was hilarious and silly in trying to attack the battleship 😂 yes Grandis risks need to be taken but a battle like that is not a risk it is a death sentence! Her and her gang getting sprayed by perfectly placed leaks in their machine was amusing and then having the arms of their machine wave the white flag was humorous too XD and man Jean and Nadia said it best when they felt sorry for them yeah I felt sorry too but they did this to themselves 😆 although keeping them in their machine might have been a bad idea. Also, as the chain broke and released them I said Lucky to myself and then they said it immediately after 😅 (maybe I am watching too much anime . . . . nah couldn't be 😄).

I did like the fact Jean after losing his grip on Nadia immediately without any hesitation ran downwards on the slanted deck to help her I thought that was a great touch! I am glad they are alright I just hope they all can find shore or another ship before they start submerging again! Overall a very fun episode ^-^

Mar 2, 2020 11:26 AM

Sep 2018
Finally the narrative arc concerning the pursuit by the three ugly faces towards Nadia and Jean closes, and another very promising one in which there are so many mysteries seems to have opened, yeah! The narration in the second part of the episode is exciting, where the atmosphere becomes very engaging.
Aug 13, 2020 6:46 PM
May 2020
I was expecting those American navy men to turn on the kids the whole time they were aboard AND they didn't. Wow, a guess this was during the time before anime constantly made fun of Americans.
Also, was vegetarian even a term known by Americans back then?

Also also, I am calling it out now--that torpedo came from the Nautilus and Captain Nemo is secretly protecting the Sea Monsters from extinction.

Lastly, I think Nadia's home country is Atlantis. I am getting A LOT of "Atlantis the Lost Empire" vibes from her and I don't think it is just the necklace.
Sep 8, 2020 9:13 PM

Mar 2016
King eats the same prepared meat (raised to be killed and then processed, not hunted in the wild) that everyone else does in that scene and yet she does not see the irony in that. Nadia was annoying in this episode, not gonna lie.
syncrogazerSep 8, 2020 9:25 PM
Jan 15, 2021 2:25 PM

Feb 2012

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 6, 2021 8:37 AM

Jul 2008
So many anti-vegetarianism in this comment section, no wonder they don't make more protagonists like this. She's not even forcing it on anyone (yet).
May 30, 2022 11:11 PM

Feb 2021
They're basically back to where they were in the beginning of the episode
Sep 28, 2022 8:28 AM
Apr 2014
The show is thoroughly enjoyable so far.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

72 by integraiwakura »»
Mar 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 35 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

21 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 34 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

35 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 33 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

32 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 32 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

20 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.