Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 25, 2014 3:36 PM

May 2013
And so the brilliance continues.

Honestly, almost everything I mentioned about last week's episode is applicable to this one, considering how it involved almost the same exact themes, albeit in a more direct matter than before. I love how the duality judals mentioned was mentioned straight-up here by Netero. It's a sign of good writing when the audience is able to pinpoint so accurately precisely what the author's trying to say.

There are so many things to be said for this episode that it's easy to miss out on some things. What really stood out to me was the dynamic between the King and Netero. Again, what Togashi has done here is incredible on so many levels. The typical scenario in this kind of situation has been completely subverted. Look at it, you have the antagonist of the story encouraging peaceful discussion and the guy supposedly on the good side being the violent and aggressive one. The King offered Netero to join him for the sake of improving the world, and Netero not only turned him down but attacked repeatedly as well. From an extremely simplistic point of view, Netero's the bad guy here, and the King is the good guy. The positions would normally be reversed, but they're not here: what's more impressive as well is that it makes perfect sense in the context of the situation.

There's more to their interaction than that as well. The King's naivety is emphasized a lot throughout this discussion with Netero, with the old man going so far as to call him a 'brat.' It only makes sense: the King is essentially a child, someone who is still learning about the nature of the world and whose humanity is blossoming. His supposed solution to the world's problems is laughably simple as well: be a just ruler who only punishes wrongdoers, and use his power only as much as necessary. Netero knows the foolishness of that suggestion, which is why he attacks. This is a case of violence being a better solution than talk, because there is no future to the King's plan.

There were a lot of fascinating subtleties scattered throughout the episode, but the best one by far was very simple: the position the King used when he sat down. It's immediately very similar to the same position used by someone else in this arc: Gon. Virtually identical, in fact. That in itself draws a very clever parallel between the King and Gon, the antagonist and protagonist of the arc, respectively. They are both in similar situations that are reversed. Gon is sitting down, he himself perfectly willing to fight while his opponent, Pitou, is not. In the other case, the King is sitting down, unwilling to fight, while Netero is reacting aggressively. Again, it highlights the contrast between the two, how one has become more inhumane and the other the opposite. In the both cases, ironically, it is the humans who are pushing for conflict.

There were plenty of other small bits I liked. The small tidbit by the narrator about how Pitou was unable to describe the King's attitude to Komugi, the tension between Youpi and Pouf, etc. The King's evolution of character was juxtaposed with Youpi in this episode, actually, and the whole theme of duality running through the whole thing was alluded to in the two different faces of Pouf in the beginning, one calm and one evil, and again with the King during his conversation with Netero.

And finally, the King's name! I am thrilled that this has come up again. The idea of names has been a huge aspect of this arc, and it has consistently been referred to by various characters and events, because of course, names are the biggest marker of individual identity, something the arc as a whole has been very concerned with; the Ants acquiring names played a big role in breaking apart their formerly organized society.
The fact that the King finally began to wander about what his own name was back in episode 108 was a big point, mostly for his character. After all, he's been going through a bit of an identity crisis. Now, here, Netero cunningly uses the King's new-found desire to discover his own name against him.

It plays into the overall themes of the arc very nicely, for multiple reasons. Here, once again, the desire to have a distinct, personal identity, the desire to be more human, leads to the King abandoning his original plan for peaceful discussion, which is likely to lead to his downfall. Like the Ants before him, individuality has pulled him down from achieving his full potential. I don't think Netero has much of a chance, but I don't expect the King to win either. He'll fall eventually, keeping with the theme of the arc. I'm positive of it.

Also, Netero's new voice actor: I think he's alright. He's good, just going to take a while to get used to.

MrAMMar 25, 2014 3:39 PM
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Mar 25, 2014 3:53 PM

May 2013
Dat character development for the King. He almost sounds like a shounen protagonist using his powers to protect the weak, if he only didn't judge who was worth living or not. His solution to improve the world was so naive but it reminds us that he's still only a child.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Mar 25, 2014 3:57 PM

Nov 2012
The new Netero VA is really weird but not bad >.< Like people say, it will take some time to get used to it xD I wonder if the old VA had done some of the future episodes and, with the death, they just decided to start with the new VA from here.... Anyway, awesome super great episode, it literally felt like a 3 minute episode to me! It's funny though, to see Netero (that i always interpreted to be a very calm person) to get so nervous with Ou. Very well done :) Can't wait for the next one!
Mar 25, 2014 3:58 PM
Aug 2012
Now it makes sense what Knov said last episode that the mission was complete since the king is in the "place".

They are fighting in a nuclear test territory. I think Netero has a plan B that is launch a nuclear device to kill everybody in the area.

But I hope the King survives, he just shown how awesome he is by choosing not to fight Netero. And Netero showed so much hate for the King, why? Maybe he wants to kill him for politicals reasons??

They should make a deal, only kill the world politics who do not bow to them, and let the general population survive :)
jiricoMar 25, 2014 4:02 PM
Mar 25, 2014 4:00 PM

Aug 2012
endlessdevotion said:
Also, probably an unpopular opinion but I think Pouf is an amazing character. He always seemed the most civilized of the Royal Guards but he is now the one who hasn't mentally/emotionally developed compared to Youpi and Pitou. And he's fab, also a very important factor, haha.

i don't think him being a good/well developed character has ever been in question i just think a lot of people don't like him which is completely different.
Mar 25, 2014 4:03 PM
May 2013
Awesome. I thought they would skip this death battle part and instead animate the chapters focusing on the side-characters
and I'm glad they didn't: I waited so long for this part to be animated (alongside the Kaito/PT/Komugi segments).

One thing I'm worried about is how they will handle the violent bits in the ensuing parts (the remainder of the non-animated material gets very graphic at times, on a whole other level than the precedent arcs). Going by how they handled similar scense (Kaito's scene for example) with mostly off-screen violence, this won't cut it unless they rewrite the scenes entirely (and I really hope they won't).

The new VA isn't bad by any means.
Mar 25, 2014 4:03 PM

Nov 2013
Baku219 said:
Dat character development for the King. He almost sounds like a shounen protagonist using his powers to protect the weak, if he only didn't judge who was worth living or not. His solution to improve the world was so naive but it reminds us that he's still only a child.
It's not naive because that would be the case when someone is disconnected from reality and is just thinking a bunch of fantasies thinking there is a chance even if it's not rational. The King doesn't need any sophistication or critical judgement because he makes up for it in power and he plans to rule the world and be in a position where he can easily make it happen. Since it's well within his capacity it would also be very logical from his perspective.
SCARY MONSTER
Mar 25, 2014 4:05 PM
Jan 2014
does the preview have any spoilers or can i watch it ?
Mar 25, 2014 4:08 PM
May 2013
detectivekillua said:
does the preview have any spoilers or can i watch it ?

Of course. It's a preview. It has the remainder of Ikalgo's scenes, but thankfully no Netero x King or the other fights.
Mar 25, 2014 4:10 PM

Jun 2013
At first I noticed that seiyuu was different while he was speaking quietly, but when conversation actually started, there was no significant difference. He pulled it off greatly, this was a fulfilling episode.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Mar 25, 2014 4:17 PM

Sep 2012
Very good episode indeed. I love the new OST.Did anyone notice the connection with the Hunter Exam tournament. Meruem must force Netero to admit defeat without killing him if he wants is information.

Well done Togashi!
Mar 25, 2014 4:40 PM

Jan 2014
Meruem has a sexy voice.. The seiyuu voiced Soul Eater Evans in Soul Eater, Yuta in Kimi to Boku, and Gin in Hotarubi no Mori e .
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Mar 25, 2014 4:46 PM

Jan 2014
jirico said:
Now it makes sense what Knov said last episode that the mission was complete since the king is in the "place".

They are fighting in a nuclear test territory. I think Netero has a plan B that is launch a nuclear device to kill everybody in the area.

peeyajMar 25, 2014 4:59 PM
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Mar 25, 2014 5:05 PM

Jan 2013
Aww forgot netero's seiyuu died :(
Mar 25, 2014 5:15 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode. Netero's new VA sounds good, will take a little getting used to though since I liked the previous one a lot more. Loving the character development for the royal guards and the King, quite unique. Also, very good art this episode, although I do feel like there should have been a bit more action to fit it. Anticipating the real battle between Netero and the King!
Mar 25, 2014 5:18 PM

Jan 2009
that Chimera Ant King will finally fight next episodes
Mar 25, 2014 5:18 PM

Jun 2013
haha king acting all sophisticated and shrugging off those attacks
Mar 25, 2014 5:25 PM

Sep 2011
"Do you want to know your name?"

*Netero trollface*

I'm waiting for that part to be animated. ^_^
Mar 25, 2014 5:47 PM

Jul 2013
judals said:
Fun fact: Tomoko Mori, animation director who did the most epic HxH episode, most recently 116, will animate next episode. I love Welfin's subplot, but such a great teams should be used on major events imo.
"That" fight lasts only one chapter. They should be able to fit ch. 291 (King vs Netero pt. 1 - a very short one), 292 (more of the fight) and "that" fight all within the next episode.
GalekCMar 25, 2014 5:52 PM
Mar 25, 2014 6:04 PM

Oct 2012
Great Episode! Best Hunter episode that we have had in a while.
Netero got a new voice actor and he filled the role perfectly.
Mar 25, 2014 6:04 PM

Jul 2013
Cresherhsm said:

YES GALEK! LOL!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Octobro's fight with Welfin. Unlike his last fight, it's actually entertaining and relevant to the plot.
Such a troll move from MadHouse to show only "that" in the preview, huh?
Mar 25, 2014 6:09 PM
Sep 2013
GalekC said:
Cresherhsm said:

YES GALEK! LOL!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Octobro's fight with Welfin. Unlike his last fight, it's actually entertaining and relevant to the plot.
Such a troll move from MadHouse to show only "that" in the preview, huh?

Yeah, they had me raging for a while before you came in. HAHA!
Mar 25, 2014 6:33 PM

Aug 2010
Great episode. Mereum has became a really good character. I'm actually on his side for the fight.
Ragna92Mar 25, 2014 6:36 PM
Mar 25, 2014 6:34 PM

Jul 2009
JamalKing said:
I liked it but I'm fucking pissed off about next week, I KNEW they would go back to (who I personally find to be) uninteresting characters to pad out the episodes. Not impressed with the consistency.

Aichiro said:
That buddha power though has to be one of the most unique powers I've ever seen since watching anime.

Have you ever heard of Susanoo? Imo it's not particularly unique at all, cool but not unique.

but Susanoo is from shinto and the bodhisattva move Netero used is from Buddhism. Not entirely the same but I get what you mean about not being completely unique. That's hard to do nowadays
Mar 25, 2014 6:37 PM

Jul 2013
couldn't have asked for more 10/10
Mar 25, 2014 6:41 PM

Jan 2011
Inugirlz said:
JamalKing said:
I liked it but I'm fucking pissed off about next week, I KNEW they would go back to (who I personally find to be) uninteresting characters to pad out the episodes. Not impressed with the consistency.

Aichiro said:
That buddha power though has to be one of the most unique powers I've ever seen since watching anime.

Have you ever heard of Susanoo? Imo it's not particularly unique at all, cool but not unique.

but Susanoo is from shinto and the bodhisattva move Netero used is from Buddhism. Not entirely the same but I get what you mean about not being completely unique. That's hard to do nowadays

kishi copied the netero Technique (truth): for more information you should see hashirama (1 hokage) technique.
Susanoo is stupid
Gintama: "The blade is not to cut down your enemies
Nor is it to cut away your own weakness
A sword isnt meant to protect your body
A sword is meant for protecting your soul"
Mar 25, 2014 7:15 PM

Dec 2011
Finally. This epic fight is starting. Can't wait to see this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2014 7:46 PM

Jul 2012
king is a real king . lol he absorbed neteros attack like nothing.
Cty Best mid
Mar 25, 2014 8:34 PM

Aug 2008
Nagai Ichirou's voice is still fresh in my head, I need some time to get used to the new seiyuu, who unexpectedly fit Netero's character really well. (I thought his voice was too deep for Netero at first).

I'm really hyped for the fight!
Mar 25, 2014 9:06 PM

Jan 2010
Togashi is the best there is. Love the way he makes the viewer empathize with even the antagonists of the show, no matter how brutal they are. Did the same with characters like Toguro, Sensui and Yomi.
Mar 25, 2014 9:15 PM

Dec 2012
New VA for Chairman Netero. Netero's 100-Type Guanyin Bodhisattva is amazing.
The King was so boss in this episode. The real battle begins.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 25, 2014 10:17 PM

Sep 2013
cant get used to neteros new voice actor, and frankly there isnt enough time to get used to it either (if you know what i mean)
Mar 25, 2014 10:46 PM

Oct 2012
Huh, didn't even notice the VA change on Netero.

Good episode.
Mar 25, 2014 10:46 PM
Jan 2013
This gotta be the be the best episode of the arc so far :D
Mar 25, 2014 11:36 PM

Jun 2010
Not gonna lie that was an awesome production quality from Madhouse.
Mar 26, 2014 12:01 AM

Dec 2012
Andan210 said:
judals said:
JamalKing said:
Aichiro said:

*adds to things naruto ripped off*

Nah, A buddha power is not very unique, but its design is quite something.
I love the "pulse" before everything goes black and white.

Both powers were showed in the same year, 2008, practically at the same time. If anything, both the Buddha of Netero and the Susano'o of Naruto are inspired by the Stands of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (the user conjures and controls a spiritual being as a means of combat.). So no, Naruto didn't ripped of the Buddha.

Actually the Buddha thing was first shown in Naruto. At the beginning of the Hidan and Kakzuo arc. I consider Netero's move a full rip off.

tankoubon-feind said:
endlessdevotion said:
Also, probably an unpopular opinion but I think Pouf is an amazing character. He always seemed the most civilized of the Royal Guards but he is now the one who hasn't mentally/emotionally developed compared to Youpi and Pitou. And he's fab, also a very important factor, haha.

i don't think him being a good/well developed character has ever been in question i just think a lot of people don't like him which is completely different.

When did Pouf get character development? Pouf stays the same, till the end of the arc. This is not to say, I think he is a bad character, because I don't have an opinion regarding the writing of his character but he is not well developed.
tsudecimoMar 26, 2014 12:08 AM
Mar 26, 2014 12:06 AM
Feb 2014
tsudecimo said:
Andan210 said:
judals said:
JamalKing said:
Aichiro said:

Both powers were showed in the same year, 2008, practically at the same time. If anything, both the Buddha of Netero and the Susano'o of Naruto are inspired by the Stands of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (the user conjures and controls a spiritual being as a means of combat.). So no, Naruto didn't ripped of the Buddha.

Actually the Buddha thing was first shown in Naruto. At the beginning of the Hidan and Kakzuo arc. I consider Netero's move a full rip off.

Dude, that was an anime-only thing. Would Togashi really have "stolen" that from watching the Naruto anime (if he does watch it)?
...but I think Kishi and Togashi are acquainted. Eh.

...it's cool.
Mar 26, 2014 12:18 AM

Sep 2012
Well fuck, I wanted to see a preview of their fight because that certain godlike animator is directing it apparently.

How do you guys know who the animation director is in advance? Is there a site for this or something?
Mar 26, 2014 12:49 AM

Feb 2014

In a few months people will go from naruto back to this episode and remember what a knock off he is.
And spare me the 'eastern culture religion' lectures.

Great episode, by the way.

Moonlit-Striker said:
tsudecimo said:
Andan210 said:
judals said:
JamalKing said:
Aichiro said:

Dude, that was an anime-only thing. Would Togashi really have "stolen" that from watching the Naruto anime (if he does watch it)?
...but I think Kishi and Togashi are acquainted. Eh.

...it's cool.

Actually even if we count that, Netero's nen (buddha) was already previewed at the start of this arc back in 2004/5 so, even comebacks like those fail, tsud.
Mar 26, 2014 12:55 AM

Dec 2013
I kinda wish Netero agreed to engage the King in a discussion. I think that would be interesting, and that might be able to weaken the King's resolve. However, if the king stays true to his word and manages to defeat Netero, he might be able to fall back on a discussion to try to dissuade the King from... well at least killing people willy nilly. Still, I think it would be an interesting discussion. I'd be interested in Netero's view on why the king should be stopped.

I wonder why Netero thinks the ant side and the human side are incompatible?
Love and Peace!!!
Mar 26, 2014 1:02 AM

Feb 2014
Thund3r1 said:

I wonder why Netero thinks the ant side and the human side are incompatible?

You... Wobder?!
Have you not watched the first third of this arc?
Mar 26, 2014 1:03 AM

Oct 2013
Splendid Episode.

The Buddha power is copied from Sengoku who is also the head of the Navy (One Piece)...

Fantastic Meruem's development!
Mar 26, 2014 1:08 AM

Jul 2013
TonyTonyStark said:
Netero's nen (buddha) was already previewed at the start of this arc back in 2004/5.
End of 2003, to be real precise.
Mar 26, 2014 1:08 AM

Feb 2014
Eutass said:
Splendid Episode.

The Buddha power is copied from Sengoku who is also the head of the Navy (One Piece)...

Fantastic Meruem's developmen!

Marineford was in 2008/9 too, so please dont open that door.
Mar 26, 2014 1:14 AM

Dec 2013
this episode was epic! amazing episode..The development of Meruem was just awesome... the power of Netero is awesome too..But i think Meruem will win.
Mind-freakMar 26, 2014 8:31 AM
Mar 26, 2014 1:22 AM

Dec 2012
GalekC said:
TonyTonyStark said:
Netero's nen (buddha) was already previewed at the start of this arc back in 2004/5.

In a manga cover? Or where exactly.
Mar 26, 2014 1:31 AM

Jul 2013
The only worthy moment in the entire Chimera Ant arc.

They could cut episode 113-121 and nothing will be missed.
Mar 26, 2014 1:35 AM

Feb 2014
tsudecimo said:
GalekC said:
TonyTonyStark said:

It showed netero and the buddha in the background while morel talked about him being humble regarding how he is weaker than pitou.
Mar 26, 2014 1:41 AM

Dec 2012
Did it show how the technique worked and the stance? No. The rip off part is how almost identical the stance and the technique are.

Who's alt account are you btw?
Mar 26, 2014 1:42 AM

Jul 2013
TonyTonyStark said:
tsudecimo said:
GalekC said:
TonyTonyStark said:

It showed netero and the buddha in the background while morel talked about him being humble regarding how he is weaker than pitou.

Either way, it's more than likely an idea taken from JJBA, and its aspect of "Stands."
GalekCMar 26, 2014 1:59 AM
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Apr 24, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.