Forums
New
Aug 31, 2009 6:07 PM

Apr 2009
English dub and Japanese

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 31, 2009 6:35 PM
Aug 2008
Nobody can be worst than johnny yong bosch!!!!!!!
Aug 31, 2009 6:44 PM

Oct 2008
johnny yong bosch is a pro, wtf.
Aug 31, 2009 6:59 PM
Oct 2008
Honestly, I don't think any voice actor is better or worst then the other...mainly because voice work can vary between different series so it's hard to judge unless you happen to find one who is consistently bad. Bad voice overs a lot of times aren't because of the voice actors are bad and has more to do with voice direction given by the ADR directors.

Of course many are going to name the more popular english voice actors like Johnny Yong Bosch even though they are the more experienced voice actors and actually do put out GOOD voice work if you compare them to other voice actors. I think most of the hate has to do with the fact that they land a lot of roles which is mostly due to the fact that they are more experienced so they get more work.

There's a reason you hear Crispin Freeman, Steven Blum, and many other voice actors a lot...it's usually because dubbing studios (especially as of late) like to keep it safe by casting voice actors they know will do well.
Aug 31, 2009 7:04 PM

Nov 2007
The only instance of absolutely terrible work I can recall off the top of my head is Kaneda Tomoko's role as Aoi in Myself;Yourself. It was earshatteringly horrific. She was adorable as Chiyo, but wow did Aoi make me want to smash something.

As for dubs, I rarely think it's a case of being 'bad' so much as the voices just not being suitable (not to mention Americans mangling pronunciation of Japanese names irks me).
Aug 31, 2009 7:08 PM
Oct 2008
Asako said:
The only instance of absolutely terrible work I can recall off the top of my head is Kaneda Tomoko's role as Aoi in Myself;Yourself. It was earshatteringly horrific. She was adorable as Chiyo, but wow did Aoi make me want to smash something.

As for dubs, I rarely think it's a case of being 'bad' so much as the voices just not being suitable (not to mention Americans mangling pronunciation of Japanese names irks me).

Don't mean to be picky but it really isn't just American voice actors that have trouble with pronunciations especially since a good portion of dubs are also done by Canadians. Those are pretty rampant in just about any language dub and it isn't any better when the Japanese do it with names in other languages.
Aug 31, 2009 7:21 PM

Nov 2007
Capellabun said:
Those are pretty rampant in just about any language dub and it isn't any better when the Japanese do it with names in other languages.

Yeah, but this is quite rare. Hearing Japanese names mangled in every single series is just distressing. But that's not really a matter of "bad" acting, I just mentioned it as a side note. It's a matter of phonetics and Japanese pronunciation being different to English so it's difficult for people to get their mouth around the names without a great deal of practice (which VAs should do, but... well, whatever).

Also, I forgot about Mizutani Yuko's role as Mihoshi in the Tenchi franchise. She was really, really bad too. What a horrible voice, though I guess it helps make an already annoying character really irritating so nobody will like her.
Aug 31, 2009 7:38 PM

Apr 2009
I reckon that the worst Japanese voice so far is all of the BECK actors if you hear the english dub (i know this is rare) its actually better than the sub..
Aug 31, 2009 7:41 PM

Feb 2008
That like pilot episode of One Piece (One made in 1998) sounded like crap. I hated all their voice for the main cast.
Aug 31, 2009 7:56 PM

Jul 2007
kidrobot said:

You've obviously never heard of David Moo.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Aug 31, 2009 8:03 PM

Mar 2009
the lady who did the japanese voice for goku in dbz
Aug 31, 2009 8:10 PM

Jun 2008
So bad it's good voice acting: The Narrator from Hokuto no Ken

Just shitty: Naruto's voice. Lord, as if I needed another one of my sense assaulted by that show.
I'm back.
Aug 31, 2009 8:10 PM

Jun 2009
kidrobot said:

God I hate that guy.

However my favorites to hate. I'm sure I've posted 7 million times already, but I still can't stand Todd Haberkorn, and Brad Swaile. There is also that guy that voiced Tenchi. He still makes my skin crawl.....
Well one thing I've learned from this experience, is that a princess is still a princesss even when she is naked.

Aug 31, 2009 8:12 PM

May 2008
Hinata Himawari and Himeji in Himawari!
Aug 31, 2009 8:16 PM

Apr 2009
mrbushido said:

Oh god yes..
Aug 31, 2009 8:52 PM

May 2009
rebekah said:
mrbushido said:

Oh god yes..

Indeed.
Aug 31, 2009 8:53 PM

Jun 2009
Asako said:

Yeah, Aoi was the one case where I actually knocked down a full point for a show because of voice acting in japanese. Usually Seiyuu are very good at what they do. But that.. I don't even want to talk about it.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 31, 2009 9:24 PM

Jul 2007
Monica Rial. She was great as Misuzu in Air and hysterical as Lara in School Rumble, but otherwise, her voice makes my ears bleed. Her Renge in Ouran had me cringing nonstop.

I have a love-hate relatioship with Yui Horie. There are times where I like her voice, and there are times where I can't stand it.

Aug 31, 2009 10:00 PM

Feb 2007
From the few other roles I've heard from Aya Hirano, it seems that she can't do the soft-spoken types too well. Well, at the least, her as Minato kept sticking out to me. Sort of reminded me of Saori Goto as Karen in Sky Girls. Other references include White Album and Shizu in Maria Holic when she's acting all sweet.

Not saying she's the worst (I can't think of anyone to give that label), but she's one of the few voice actors whose voices don't sit well with me.
AsrialysAug 31, 2009 10:03 PM
Aug 31, 2009 10:02 PM
Apr 2008
Splitter said:
kidrobot said:

You've obviously never heard of David Moo.

Man, I really liked him as Xellos. :(
Aug 31, 2009 11:12 PM

Mar 2009
Asrialys said:
From the few other roles I've heard from Aya Hirano, it seems that she can't do the soft-spoken types too well. Well, at the least, her as Minato kept sticking out to me. Sort of reminded me of Saori Goto as Karen in Sky Girls. Other references include White Album and Shizu in Maria Holic when she's acting all sweet.

Not saying she's the worst (I can't think of anyone to give that label), but she's one of the few voice actors whose voices don't sit well with me.

She is better when voicing Haruhi.
Aug 31, 2009 11:18 PM

Jul 2008
Jun Fukuyama, god that guys voice is fucking annoying(one of the very few things I dislike about Spice and Wolf). Though that doesn't really classify him as a terrible actor, just a terrible voice.

I guess I could start rambling on about the english dub actors that do a grotesque amount of overacting but I would be here all night. English dub actors get paid next to nothing, so you get what you pay for I suppose.
Aug 31, 2009 11:32 PM

May 2008
strange voices are interesting... Jun's not so bad... better than having an entire cast of people with generic voices pulled off the street in southern california... all the guys sound the same.... most of the funimation dubs are that way, especially the older ones.

kappei yamaguchi anyone? ...lots of people hate his voice, but it makes his characters much more interesting.

I am a banana.
Aug 31, 2009 11:35 PM

Jul 2008
saka said:
kappei yamaguchi anyone? ...lots of people hate his voice, but it makes his characters much more interesting.
It's more tolerable than Richard Cox's voice, I can assure you that.
Aug 31, 2009 11:49 PM

Jul 2007
saka said:

Considering he is hands-down the most prolific seiyuu to date, I don't think this statement holds any water.

When I tell people Usopp and L have the same seiyuu, they often tell me I'm lying :3
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Sep 1, 2009 1:08 AM

Dec 2008
Sick_Bastard said:
Just shitty: Naruto's voice. Lord, as if I needed another one of my sense assaulted by that show.

This, pretty much. Just before the dub came out, I was actually looking forward to see how it was...and then I heard Naruto's voice and wanted to scream.
Sep 1, 2009 3:21 AM

Oct 2008
Nagara_Venteel said:
kidrobot said:

God I hate that guy.

However my favorites to hate. I'm sure I've posted 7 million times already, but I still can't stand Todd Haberkorn, and Brad Swaile. There is also that guy that voiced Tenchi. He still makes my skin crawl.....
Brad Swaile was good as Rok from Black Lagoon, I thought. He didn't suit Light at all though.

And what's with the JYB hate? Sure, he sounds exactly the same in every role (except Renton in E7), but he's a good voice actor. If you just don't like his voice, that's understandable, but that aside he has talent. Plus he was the original black power ranger omfgwtf
Sep 1, 2009 4:03 AM

Jun 2009
I hate this voice!

Masako Nozawa

http://myanimelist.net/people/557/Masako_Nozawa
Sep 1, 2009 4:57 AM
Jun 2008
Fukuyama Jun and Hirano Aya. Only the worst for being so damn overrated. Fukuyama is an almighty ham and I can't take his voice seriously, and Hirano is freaking annoying.
Sep 1, 2009 5:51 AM

May 2009
Tracey Moore / Terri Hawkes - the English dubbed Sailor Moon/ Usagi. And I still have a few more episodes to finish the franchise. Shocking voice difference from the original. Horrendous 'adult-trying-to-sound-like-a-kid' acting.
Sep 1, 2009 6:03 AM
Oct 2008
ANALDEFILER said:
Nagara_Venteel said:
kidrobot said:

God I hate that guy.

Brad Swaile was good as Rok from Black Lagoon, I thought. He didn't suit Light at all though.

And what's with the JYB hate? Sure, he sounds exactly the same in every role (except Renton in E7), but he's a good voice actor. If you just don't like his voice, that's understandable, but that aside he has talent. Plus he was the original black power ranger omfgwtf

Can't say I understand the hate against Brad Swaile. He is a very good voice actor and a very nice guy to meet :)

Course I can't hate him because he's voiced one of my favorite characters in X-Men Evolution (Night Crawler).
Sep 1, 2009 11:27 AM
Sep 2007
Sho Hayami, Norio Wakamoto and Kei Tomiyama.
Sep 1, 2009 11:56 AM

Apr 2008
What did Norio Wakamoto ever do to be called one of the worst voice actors?
Sep 1, 2009 1:20 PM

Jun 2009
Matt Hill.....I'm Keroberos the guardian beast. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I won't be fooled by a mere 3-d girl!!!

Sep 2, 2009 1:30 AM
Apr 2009
goku's voice...
Sep 2, 2009 1:33 AM

Oct 2008
Mjaut said:
Sho Hayami, Norio Wakamoto and Kei Tomiyama.
That has to be a troll post
Sep 2, 2009 1:49 AM
Sep 2007
He sounds like a man in constant state of orgasm.
Sep 2, 2009 6:22 AM

Dec 2007
PolleyPower said:
What did Norio Wakamoto ever do to be called one of the worst voice actors?

I kid though, that guy is awesome. When I first heard the emperor of Britania I thought,"He sounds familiar...HERRO EVERYNYAN!"

#NBHNC
Sep 2, 2009 6:58 AM

Oct 2008
Mjaut said:
He sounds like a man in constant state of orgasm.
And that's a bad thing because...?

edit: I take that back, i c he's in your faves.
Sep 2, 2009 7:20 AM

Apr 2007
Kugimiya Rie

can't stand tsundere bitches
Sep 2, 2009 7:24 AM

Jul 2008
Itachi-san said:
Kugimiya Rie

can't stand tsundere bitches
diaf
Sep 2, 2009 7:36 AM
Jul 2018
Hmmm...
Okay to be straight, I am not trying to offend anyone okay?
First of all, I don't think there's any worst seiyuu.
It is only a matter of whether you like the voice or whether the voice is your preference or not.
Why? Seiyuu in Japan is considered a professional job and they are being trained with lots of effort to become a good one.
Not everyone can become a seiyuu and the market is actually really competitive.
Like from what you can see, there are always thousands of seiyuus graduate from seiyuu training academies but not all of them can get hired.
Furthermore, Japan's companies are very particular about the quality.
I don't think they will hire any seiyuu without a good skill in their product.
So, that's why I don't think there will be any 'worst' seiyuu.

About English dubs, I am not really familiar with it so I think I should just keep myself out from commenting on this =)
Sep 2, 2009 7:38 AM

Jul 2008
Japanese:
The seiyuu who did Andrei Smirnov. JESUS! I wanted scratch my throat out. D:
Rie Kugimiya: Whatever anime I want to watch, SHE'S IN IT!

English:
Wendee Lee
That craptastic what's-his-face that did Muraki's voice in Descendants of Darkness
THE WHOLE CAST OF GRAVITATION D:<
Sep 2, 2009 8:45 AM

Apr 2007
Defiance said:
diaf
drabdindermok :)
Sep 2, 2009 9:09 AM

Jul 2008
Itachi-san said:
Defiance said:
diaf
drabdindermok :)
wat
Sep 2, 2009 9:26 AM
Sep 2007
ANALDEFILER said:
And that's a bad thing because...?

edit: I take that back, i c he's in your faves.
He's in my favorites only because I liked Reunthal.

Aside from him, Wakamoto tends to force his "accent" too much.
Sep 2, 2009 9:28 AM

Mar 2009
Jun Fukuyama = Jun Fuck You Mountain.
Sep 2, 2009 11:40 AM

Aug 2008
Kugumiya Rie - the most annoying voice I've ever heard and every single character sounds the same.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Sep 2, 2009 5:56 PM

Apr 2008
Whoever does the voice for Maria in CANAAN. Every time she opens her mouth I get the sudden urge to punt something off a thirty story building.

The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai. You will be honored to accept his invitation.
Sep 2, 2009 7:29 PM

Dec 2008
TsukikageRan said:
Tracey Moore / Terri Hawkes - the English dubbed Sailor Moon/ Usagi. And I still have a few more episodes to finish the franchise. Shocking voice difference from the original. Horrendous 'adult-trying-to-sound-like-a-kid' acting.

Linda (name may be wrong) Ballantyne was worse.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

72 by MadanielFL »»
7 seconds ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

40 by Kruszer »»
48 seconds ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

62 by AzafuseKingTora »»
3 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

52 by Lucifrost »»
4 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

49 by Ratris_Decision »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.