Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Aug 9, 2020 1:03 PM

Jul 2008
I give this a 10/10. I was moved to tears twice. Grandma was awesome. I cried after she died, and then her laughing picture at the very end.

Awesome family dynamic, great animation. And hell I'll say again it moved me to tears. Loved this movie!!
Sep 17, 2020 12:38 AM

May 2016
I've been planning to give this a try for years and now that I've finally done so, I can say that this was certainly a bizarre yet fun experience that was nothing like I had expected. I've only just found out that the guy who directed this was the same one who directed The Girl Who Leapt in Time and that detail definitely explained why I got the same impression I got watching this.

I went in expecting that the movie would be set in OZ for the majority of the film's runtime and even if that was technically the case, I was more surprised and pleased towards the very big focus on the importance of family and connecting with others. As silly as this movie was in a lot of parts, it was both wholesome and amusing throughout.

Oct 21, 2020 5:14 PM

Oct 2013
I spent years spacing this off, literally since it came out, and I could've spaced it off indefinitely. It seems like familial bonds are a recurring theme in Mamoru Hosoda's works, but comparing it to Wolf Children, an organic and wholesome family struggle, this was over the top and goofy and I didn't find it remotely emotionally gripping.

For how often I find his takes spot on, the legendary Archaeon swung a miss on this recommendation.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 22, 2020 10:43 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was an incredible movie! Both in terms of whack and emotions, lol. I'd been planning to give this a shot for the longest time and I can say for certain that it definitely lives up to its fame.

Recurring theme of family but this time with a touch of wildness, I like that. Chaotic but intriguing at the same time. Also, the Grandma is a serious .. respect. Yes, simple as that. That smile in the end. 10/10

Animation standard especially with the insane level of detail that was evident was another fabulous aspect of the movie. I'm still a little taken aback by that, to be honest.

Story-wise however, it was probably a little too over the top after all but entertaining throughout nonetheless. I just couldn't take the romance bit seriously though, I was just grinning like an idiot because of how ridiculous (on a positive note more so, I guess) it was.

Going to settle with a very well-deserved 8/10 here. Certainly wouldn't mind re-watching this in the near future.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 31, 2020 9:55 PM

Sep 2020
To be honest I didn't like the Voice acting . . . It felt out of place
Feb 14, 2021 9:19 PM

Jan 2016
Just finished the movie two hours or so ago, despite expecting quite a bit more of romance (or just character interactions in general, but I'm not complaining about that) and while watching I did feel like some scenes could have done with a slightly faster pacing, I found it quite great overall! I feel like they alternated well enough between the family setting and OZ's and the whole movie just felt comfy all around.

I feel like playing koi-koi hyped me more for the game part, as soon as I saw that Natsuki had an Ame-Shikō and a cherry blossom card on her hand I could barely contain myself, to this day I only managed to pull a Gokō once and watching her do it felt like the real thing for me.

I really enjoyed this movie, personally it scored quite close to a 9/10 but I might just settle on a 8/10, I don't know, I'll sleep on it.

PS: Don't do cards, kids.
EDIT: the following day I just got another Gokō, what a truly blessed movie.
OutsiderRatFeb 15, 2021 12:42 PM
Apr 26, 2021 12:45 PM

Jul 2019
lmao this movie was tripping balls

The whole virtual world part was too abstract, however the whole family part was incredibly lovely

overall 8/10

animation was great
May 3, 2021 6:10 PM

Apr 2019
Zadion said:
For how often I find his takes spot on, the legendary Archaeon swung a miss on this recommendation.
same reason i decided to watch this... this movie was mehh

Jun 5, 2021 2:08 PM

Jul 2019
I put this on hold for the longest minute lmao. Glad I got to this.

What a cool movie, I feel that this was a little ambitious, throwing quite a few chances of major developments but actually doing little with them. Anyways I liked this regardless, the concept of OZ is strange tho, that would never be allowed irl.

Also, the romance here is hella weak and kinda forced. But that is a side complaint.
Jun 18, 2021 8:35 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Watched this today. Not much i can say rather than a very well done art and animation from Mad House, once again, at those years, coming for this Summer Wars. Never expect this simple movie about such a huge family summer gathering became more hype with a lot of good action and nice little drama surrounding their efforts against an evil ai invading the world internet system and its nerworking. Too bad Kenji can't even kiss his beloved senpai, making the whole movie a little bit bummer through the end. Though, overall is okay, nothing outstanding for me. But the hype is real with a nice little animation they've got through all those transitions. Its all were good at those years, honestly.

Summer Wars, without a doubt is surprising me. Its not too complex like i thought before. The overall characterization coming from Kenji for example, was a bit shallow for his overall characterization. Even Natsuki loves drama with his uncle actually unnecessary to be explained. Then, the execution through the end of the ai actually a bit rushed and forced to make Kenji back to his status quo as the mc.

However, without a doubt, the Summer Wars actually is good enough to keep me entertain. Even until the last grandma photo change to give such a strong happy ending through her big fuckin family. The end, and y'know what. Its actually scares me for a minute before, ngl....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 15, 2021 8:36 AM
Oct 2019
It was fun to watch. I thought the family were entertaining.. Got a bit boring towards the end but not too bad..
Aug 12, 2021 9:14 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
A very well done movie!
1. Artwork - well done, I felt the kitchen heat as well as the ice cooling the server/grandma

2. Story - the absurdity of OZ was matched by the craziness of the family dynamics and it all worked well for me, lots of emotions and they were done nicely

3. Voices - I really loved the women's voices while they were bantering, it sounded like a lot of holidays that I have attended in my family.

All in all.....10/10 for this movie. I cared for the family and the outcome. Grandma was outstanding and the smile at the end just capped it.
Oct 30, 2021 2:37 AM

Jun 2017
Unexpectedly, I enjoyed this movie! It has a family drama in it but not too melodramatic that would make you cringe, unlike some anime out there. The OZ system didn't look realistic at some points, but I tend to ignore it because it had captured my attention for how entertaining it was.

There is also a moral lesson to this story which I always appreciate in movies. Family is where your home is, and there's no obstacle that you couldn't overcome as long as your family had your back.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Aug 5, 2022 3:25 PM
Aug 2020
It's like free guy
Sep 8, 2022 2:04 PM

Sep 2019
Bizarre but nice movie.
Interesting as this movies themes are even more relevant today than they were when it released in 2009.
I'm not reading any replies or comments directed at me at all. I know my truth and if you disagree: that's fine but i couldn't give a damn about :)

Sep 17, 2022 8:27 PM
May 2021
Maybe the real Summer Wars was the math problems we solved along the way
Oct 18, 2022 2:41 AM
Aug 2021
It was ok, too many characters with no development, an in-accurate understanding or representation of internet and tech, and the main characters don't do any thing which effects directly each other to have feelings for each other, they killed off the strongest character and that bitch is still watching TV.

It does have strong points like wholesomeness and great animation but the movie is still weak
Oct 18, 2022 2:43 AM
Aug 2021
It was ok, too many characters with no development, an in-accurate understanding or representation of internet and tech, and the main characters don't do any thing which effects directly each other to have feelings for each other, they killed off the strongest character and that bitch is still watching TV.

It does have strong points like wholesomeness and great animation but the movie is still weak.
Jan 29, 2023 1:21 PM
Apr 2022
its ok to watch ig not that interesting
Jul 30, 2023 12:29 AM
Apr 2022
Show Rate Meter Guide  - (5 Great _ 4 Good _ 3 Fine _ 2 Not Good _ 1 Bad).(dismal are sometimes needed)
[Story] - 4.5  
[Art/Animation] - 4
[Sound/Music] - 3.5
[M-Character] - 4
[S-Character] - 4
[Enjoyment] - 4
[Overall] - 4
Waited so many years to final decide to seen this film and I have to say, I wished I watched this back then when they aired it on TV when I was in highschool... A gem of a movie for it time would have loved this movie and probably would have seen it many time throughout the years, really liked the film.  
Aug 23, 2023 3:13 PM

Jul 2014
Didn't expect myself to tear up...how the grandma died and trying to revive is exactly what happened to my grandma as well...same month too..
The flashbacks with the uncle when he was young tho holding grandma's hand got me bawling
This hits to the heart...
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Aug 28, 2023 10:34 AM

Aug 2018
I suppose my decision to watch this movie before the end of summer had kinda worked in the end,

The film itself is kinda interesting, whole diginal universe stuff is kinda crazy and sometimes questions raising but overall I liked how some things weren't fully predictable. It feels more than just focus on OZ  thing, the family interactions and all the different characters we see there kinda doesn't let this anime become a full boredom fest and helps it go towards the finish like. The animation is very nice and well polished , as expected from great Madhouse studios. I think its a pretty good film, not fully perfect in terms of plot and fully developing some character aspects but a very great and unique full of fun ideas and moments expierence that reminds of disney and pixar style during those times of its release.

7.9//10
Dec 1, 2023 11:34 AM
Jan 2019
It felt natural, organic as in authentic. Chaotic and heart-warming with emotions. Action and adventure is there and enough crazyness for myself.
Dec 2, 2023 5:36 PM

May 2014
A fine movie about family love. I liked it.
Dec 2, 2023 5:40 PM

May 2014
Reply to aero
Pretty poor really. No real main character and with so many things going on all at once, it just felt like a mess. Art and sound design were poor also, especially the choice of VAs.
Story was barely passable but stupid really. Who in the right mind would entrust a social networking tool important country infrastructures anyway? It's like using Facebook to control the world.

All in all, a poor movie and rubbish when compared to his previous work.

/What's the deal with Kenji looking the same as Makoto?
@aero The part about OZ sounds quite stupid, but I actually enjoyed the rest. The part about the family and their hospitality towards mc was quite nice to watch.
Feb 18, 1:23 AM

Jul 2021
Though i wanted to like this movie more, it just wasnt for me. The characters werent really likable to me. My favourite character in this movie was Mansuke the man in the red shirt. Between the main cast i didnt really like any of them except Kazuma. Wabisuke almost ruined the movie for me. He came along and it made me mad that Natsuki dropped everything that had to do with Kenji to go gush over him and basing Kenji's cover story on him was what really made me mad.

The animation was alright. Everywhere i looked felt like it was in a lower quality, but it was still good i quess.

The best part of this movie was the ending song it was pretty good.

Overall 6/10.

Apr 13, 6:32 PM

Sep 2018
i made it 10 minutes to the reveal of the "fake boyfriend" plot element and i'm out the door
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

» Is it good?

kam1n0 - Nov 13, 2021

20 by domine »»
Oct 31, 2022 5:46 PM

» Metaverse

BeholdTheSkipper - Jan 5, 2022

1 by GabyShimizu »»
Jan 5, 2022 12:05 PM

» By Math Olympics, did they mean Kenji is a possible IMO qualifier?

Uji_Gintoki_Bowl - Aug 23, 2021

1 by DuSK_iKaISeR »»
Aug 23, 2021 1:49 PM

» Man it's been 11 year since it's realise

Sam_Emon - Apr 1, 2020

0 by Sam_Emon »»
Apr 1, 2020 9:26 AM

» Is Summer Wars Any Good?

Atomsk_ - May 1, 2014

31 by Monarch9 »»
Mar 8, 2020 8:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.