Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Aug 21, 2009 2:55 PM

Jul 2007
Well this one's gone to shit. I've already learned once the light swords materialize, it's best to just stop.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Aug 21, 2009 3:06 PM

Dec 2008
Splitter said:
Well this one's gone to shit. I've already learned once the light swords materialize, it's best to just stop.

At least give it a chance, until this arc ends.
Aug 21, 2009 3:09 PM

Jul 2009
I think the VN players should stop compare the anime and the VN, it just make the situation worse.

@the anime watchers: Just ignore everything the VN players told you, most of those are depend on what they know in later arcs, at this point of the game they are just WTF as you are now.

And I don't think this anime is that bad as an adaption. It may not be the best, but it's not bad either. Nothing important is left out, and you don't need explanation from VN players to understand it. Just watching the anime is enough.

wakka9ca said:
again, too much emphasis on the VN. As an adaptation, Deen definitely screwed up big time. Small details in the VN are actually important and it's really a shame Deen didn't get it right. VN readers don't realize the lack of it because they read the original that contained them. For non-VN readers, not only it's losing interest, it seems Deen messed up the characters as well (quite bland and lack devleopment)

No, it's totally opposite. The VN players just complain about anything and everything that is left out.

wakka9ca said:
I lol'ed at Battler's arguments. Can he not find BETTER and more intelligent arguments than the obvious ones.....Jessica and Kanon's death were funny, because it looked fake and exaggerated....

What do you mean with "BETTER and more intelligent arguments" ?
What is the need of complicated explanation if you can explain with simple ones ?
Aug 21, 2009 3:16 PM

Dec 2008
Zedrane said:
MarthX said:
I dunno.. I think at this point, the anime is doing a good bad job. Things VN readers are explaining now are based off future knowledge, which is why they're able to understand things more clearly. When they were on EP2, I bet they were as confused as anime only watchers are now. (Yeah, we were.) Things *do not* become a lot more clearer in the next arc.

Right now as an adaption, I would rate the anime a 7 5 out of 10. It's good bad but it could be a lot better worse.

I fixed it for you. :P And I'm in a bad mood right now, please forgive me.

I'd atleast give it a 7.5/10 out of 10 for now, but if they don't do Banquet that well i'll digress, and have to say otherwise.
Aug 21, 2009 3:26 PM

Jan 2009
4saken_762 said:

wakka9ca said:
again, too much emphasis on the VN. As an adaptation, Deen definitely screwed up big time. Small details in the VN are actually important and it's really a shame Deen didn't get it right. VN readers don't realize the lack of it because they read the original that contained them. For non-VN readers, not only it's losing interest, it seems Deen messed up the characters as well (quite bland and lack devleopment)

No, it's totally opposite. The VN players just complain about anything and everything that is left out.

Welcome to every VN adaptation ever. Or even more accurate, every adaptation ever.

I'm watching this as I read the SN while my gf is just watching the anime. She liked this episode a lot, while I found the metabattle a little too fast for comprehension; but all in all, I'm still enjoying the anime. So I don't think DEEN is doing a bad job, it's just people always expect better and the hype tends to harm their expectations.
Aug 21, 2009 3:26 PM

Feb 2009
I feel like the black sheep for being able to enjoy this anime so much. :/
Aug 21, 2009 3:27 PM

Jun 2007
For Umineko to be a 10/10 adaption, this season would have to be 50 episodes long. The pace would need to be a lot slower. It would better for VN readers but it would be harder to anime only watchers to get into. Instead of having 1 or 2 episodes of build up, you'd have like 3 or 4. That kind of pace is fine for a VN where you don't have to wait a week to see more of the arc but for an anime, that wouldn't be good.
Aug 21, 2009 3:28 PM

Jul 2007
Lemons said:
Splitter said:

At least give it a chance, until this arc ends.

It's on-hold right now. Call me if it ever gets better. Consider it dropped if it doesn't.
Aug 21, 2009 3:28 PM
Aug 2009
noteDhero said:
But again, because of this structure, there's just no real point in thinking about anything, and instead just accepting everything that you see, trusting that there will be a good explanation in the end. That's just not my kind of mystery. I don't know how to explain it except for that it feels like I'm getting further from the big picture with every episode that comes out.

Understandable that you feel that way, given the way the series has progressed so far. It's probably best to leave it here for now, but I'll just say it's not actually the kind of mystery you think it is.

And I think most people would agree, more work could have been put into the series. That aside though, I actually think it's been decent so far.
Aug 21, 2009 3:31 PM

Jun 2007
Syl said:

You shouldn't feel that way. The anime is good. It's just that VN crowd is very vocal and whiny because they expect the anime to be as good when that just isn't possible.

They also make dumb complaints like ___ didn't move me as much. Well no duh. You already know what's going to happen. That alone severely reduces the enjoyment.
Aug 21, 2009 3:36 PM

Jun 2009
Syl said:

Yes I know I get the same feeling.

It is like sitting with a group of people who read the book and then saw the movie.
It is frustrating to read and listen too.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 21, 2009 3:43 PM

Jan 2009

I can watch that all day long... x_X
Aug 21, 2009 3:46 PM

Jul 2007
Suzune-chan said:
Syl said:

It is like sitting with a group of people who read the book and then saw the movie.

What if you haven't played the VN, wanted this to be good, and then became more and more frustrated with it for every episode after Ep. 5?

I ask because that's where I am. At least Higurashi threw you a bone with every new arc. This one's just sadistically boring. "Ooh, how exciting! She's part of the banquet now!"

News flash, Battler: It's possible to accuse her for the murders as a human and not a witch :|
Aug 21, 2009 3:51 PM
Aug 2009
Splitter said:
News flash, Battler: It's possible to accuse her for the murders as a human and not a witch :|

Isn't that essentially what he's trying to do?
Aug 21, 2009 3:51 PM

Jun 2009
Splitter said:
Suzune-chan said:
Syl said:

What if you haven't played the VN, wanted this to be good, and then became more and more frustrated with it for every episode after Ep. 5?

I ask because that's where I am. At least Higurashi threw you a bone with every new arc. This one's just sadistically boring. "Ooh, how exciting! She's part of the banquet now!"

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you. After episode five it kind of fell hard.
To me it seems that each character has such a large ego that they can't seem to get over so the plot drags along with everyone being either one dimensional or arguing everything.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 21, 2009 4:03 PM

Sep 2008
Sort of repetitive? Off to play the vn.
Aug 21, 2009 4:32 PM

Dec 2008
Splitter said:
Suzune-chan said:
Syl said:

Your just not liking this arc, this isn't close to being Higurashi.

But that would make him admit that she exists.
Aug 21, 2009 4:36 PM

Jul 2009
Splitter said:

Why do you compare to Higurashi's every "new arc" while this it the first "new arc", and it doesn't even end yet.
What bone did the second arc of Higurashi throw you ?
Aug 21, 2009 4:57 PM

Aug 2009
This is just getting stupid.
Aug 21, 2009 5:06 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
MarthX said:
For Umineko to be a 10/10 adaption, this season would have to be 50 episodes long. The pace would need to be a lot slower. It would better for VN readers but it would be harder to anime only watchers to get into. Instead of having 1 or 2 episodes of build up, you'd have like 3 or 4. That kind of pace is fine for a VN where you don't have to wait a week to see more of the arc but for an anime, that wouldn't be good.

Actually, I prefer a 50 episodes series because by rushing, they are missing the whole point of the original VN. They could easily screw up Banquet and Alliance if they rush it. It would be "wtf" for non-VN and VN readers equally.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 21, 2009 5:10 PM

Dec 2008
wakka9ca said:
MarthX said:

Actually, I prefer a 50 episodes series because by rushing, they are missing the whole point of the original VN. They could easily screw up Banquet and Alliance if they rush it. It would be "wtf" for non-VN and VN readers equally.

They can't screw up Alliance......Screw it, if DEEN handles Banquet horribly i'm calling this a shit adaption

Aug 21, 2009 5:11 PM

Aug 2007
Lemons said:
wakka9ca said:
MarthX said:

They can't screw up Alliance......Screw it, if DEEN handles Banquet horribly i'm calling this a shit adaption

Same here.
Aug 21, 2009 5:20 PM

Dec 2007
i liked this ep. i'm really starting to love this anime.

Beatrice just cornered him with the red letters thing... anyway i cant wait to see the next episode.
Aug 21, 2009 5:30 PM

Jul 2008
@Renza:

Aug 21, 2009 6:33 PM
Sep 2008
Already know what is going to happen doesn't necessarily mean when you see it again, it won't have as much of an impact.

I'll just put this in spoiler tags even though its about completely unrelated anime.

Anyways, the anime is crappy to us vn readers so far is that even though more light was shone on George, Shannon, Kanon, and Jessica, it really didn't change your thoughts about them. Making them even more seemingly shallow.

In the vn, that was definitely not the case. After their little day in the limelight, switching back to the actual game, and see said character's deaths, it was depressingly sad.

They were pretty much added on the list of "Characters I Now Feel Sad For When They Die."

Oh, and all the Red Text used through the visual novel. I'll throw these in spoiler tags as well, even though it's meant for people wanting to crack the mystery.

Aug 21, 2009 6:53 PM

Jun 2007
GarLogan78 said:
@Renza:

Aug 21, 2009 7:02 PM

Jun 2008
Jeeppu said:
This episode made me love Kanon <3

Jessica and Kanon's dying scene was awesome but I wanted to hear Kanon's true name aaargh! XD I want the next episode ASAP.

I know how you feel! It's killing me too :) I really do like him and the scene with Jessica rocked and I don't care what anyone else says >.<
- Noblesse Oblige -

And I'm saying a prayer for the desperate heart's tonight

Aug 21, 2009 7:14 PM

Jun 2008
I can't wait until the third arc starts so we can show the anime-watchers the Anti-Fantasy vs. Anti-Mystery thing. So many people are just giving up D:
Aug 21, 2009 7:22 PM

Jun 2008
Syl said:

OH no no!! I feel the same way sometimes but don't worry! I enjoy it also! so you have me :)
I find it hard to post about the things I'm excited about, when I read just a few post's above people whining about it.. but everyone's different we all like different stuff and I actually wait online on Thursdays till this show gets released (such a nerd) but I look forward to it :) something so different then the usual anime shows.
- Noblesse Oblige -

And I'm saying a prayer for the desperate heart's tonight

Aug 21, 2009 7:42 PM

Sep 2007
Sigyn said:
Syl said:

OH no no!! I feel the same way sometimes but don't worry! I enjoy it also! so you have me :)
I find it hard to post about the things I'm excited about, when I read just a few post's above people whining about it.. but everyone's different we all like different stuff and I actually wait online on Thursdays till this show gets released (such a nerd) but I look forward to it :) something so different then the usual anime shows.

It is very different from the usual shows. And even though it is a terrible adaption of the VN. It's still probably better than most, if not all, of the other shows this season. Simply because of the mediocrity of all the recent anime. I've found like 2 shows in the last four or so seasons that were actually any good.

All the anime industry seems to be interested in making lately is stuff that sells for God knows what reason, and stuff that pleases the majority of the tasteless Otaku masses. Meaning moe blob crap like K-ON! and unoriginal shounen like Pandora Hearts and Naruto. It's seriously becoming a chore to find a show that's even good enough to finish anymore.
/End Rant. Pardon me.
Aug 21, 2009 8:01 PM

Feb 2009
I get murderous rage watching this anime.

Go to the Golden Land already you annoying pest!
Aug 21, 2009 8:32 PM

Aug 2008
Zedrane said:

It is very different from the usual shows. And even though it is a terrible adaption of the VN. It's still probably better than most, if not all, of the other shows this season. Simply because of the mediocrity of all the recent anime. I've found like 2 shows in the last four or so seasons that were actually any good.

All the anime industry seems to be interested in making lately is stuff that sells for God knows what reason, and stuff that pleases the majority of the tasteless Otaku masses. Meaning moe blob crap like K-ON! and unoriginal shounen like Pandora Hearts and Naruto. It's seriously becoming a chore to find a show that's even good enough to finish anymore.
/End Rant. Pardon me.

Yeah...I don't think you're looking hard enough. This Summer is actually decent, and is probably on par with Spring. Winter was almost a total bust, save for Kemono no Souja Erin, and perhaps Rideback...and Spring has quite a few good shows (though there was a fair bit of garbage) like Eden of the East and Guin Saga. This season, Bakemonogatari is easily the best of the season with Tokyo Magnitude coming in a close second. That's also excluding a few sequels.

Maybe you have narrow taste, but looking at the comparison of our lists, you haven't seen a lot of exceptional shows and many more solid ones.

But you are right, the industry is sinking into a downward spiral of moe-fanservice or shounen-lamness garbage.
Aug 21, 2009 9:15 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
Zedrane said:

/End Rant. Pardon me.

Yeah...I don't think you're looking hard enough. This Summer is actually decent, and is probably on par with Spring. Winter was almost a total bust, save for Kemono no Souja Erin, and perhaps Rideback...and Spring has quite a few good shows (though there was a fair bit of garbage) like Eden of the East and Guin Saga. This season, Bakemonogatari is easily the best of the season with Tokyo Magnitude coming in a close second. That's also excluding a few sequels.

Maybe you have narrow taste, but looking at the comparison of our lists, you haven't seen a lot of exceptional shows and many more solid ones.

But you are right, the industry is sinking into a downward spiral of moe-fanservice or shounen-lamness garbage.

Eh. Bakemonogatari is enjoyable but I think it tries too hard to be edgy with the frequent screens of text, abnormal camera angles and having the characters talk about nonsensical things during most of the episode. The show also has a lot of exposition for a 15 episode series with not much of a plot.
Aug 21, 2009 9:22 PM

Aug 2007
MarthX said:
noteDhero said:
Zedrane said:

/End Rant. Pardon me.

Eh. Bakemonogatari is enjoyable but I think it tries too hard to be edgy with the frequent screens of text, abnormal camera angles and having the characters talk about nonsensical things during most of the episode. The show also has a lot of exposition for a 15 episode series with not much of a plot.

That's Shaft for you.
Aug 21, 2009 9:23 PM

Aug 2008
I disagree...it's just Shaft doing what they do, and in this case, it's their best go at it yet. I think all levels of production really help to elevate what could have been a bland girl/mystery of the week harem type show. Instead there is a good chunk of character development, and the characters interact in a very natural fashion even if they do so supernatural things. It manages to go for more than a couple trite emotional responses in a varied manner that is very entertaining.
Aug 21, 2009 9:25 PM

Aug 2007
noteDhero said:
I disagree...it's just Shaft doing what they do, and in this case, it's their best go at it yet. I think all levels of production really help to elevate what could have been a bland girl/mystery of the week harem type show. Instead there is a good chunk of character development, and the characters interact in a very natural fashion even if they do so supernatural things. It manages to go for more than a couple trite emotional responses in a varied manner that is very entertaining.

I wasn't implying that Shaft was bad, though it may have seemed that way. They're an awesome studio. I haven't seen Bakemonogatari but it looks and sounds interesting.
Aug 21, 2009 9:28 PM

Jul 2007
Zedrane said:
[

/End Rant. Pardon me.

While your rant has some potency in that the market is playing it safe right now with loads of shounen and moe, we're getting a lot of good things in the mix like Aoi Hana, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, FMA: Brotherhood, and (quite possibly the guiltiest pleasure ever made) Needless. We're not in dire straits yet.

I gotta ask though, if you're defending Umineko, why does your status say you dropped it?
Aug 21, 2009 9:30 PM

Aug 2008
Renza said:

I wasn't implying that Shaft was bad, though it may have seemed that way. They're an awesome studio. I haven't seen Bakemonogatari but it looks and sounds interesting.

Whoops!
That was a disagreement with MarthX. Sorry, Renza.
Aug 21, 2009 9:37 PM

Aug 2007
noteDhero said:
Renza said:

Whoops!
That was a disagreement with MarthX. Sorry, Renza.

It's fine haha. It's my fault for thinking that was directed at me >_<
UBWahAug 21, 2009 9:44 PM
Aug 21, 2009 10:01 PM

Jun 2009
Well I thought it was a good episode.
Since i don't have any of the VN background it seemed good to me.

Aug 21, 2009 10:50 PM
Oct 2008
Well, the episode was good, though goat scene somewhat showy. And for "human work" murded theoriest like me with no VN battleground it was somehow disapointment for a moment, like "wut? she realy killed those two? where goes atmosphere?".

Thou seeing

i understand the craziest is yet to come and just have fun.
Aug 21, 2009 10:51 PM

Jun 2007
Wattson said:
This episode disappointed me. I figured the reason that DEEN was rushing through the previous scenes was so that they would have time to do the meta battles well. But I felt that this episodes emphasis was on the Kanon fight and not the meta battle, which I think is wrong. It just felt like it had none of the impact that it should have.

With that aside the rest of the episode was decent. I have no problems with the censorship, and the Kanon fight scene managed to be pretty dramatic even with me knowing what was going to happen. I just wish they didn't have to sacrifice the meta battle for it.

I should probably change a bit of what I said. I originally stated that the episode disappointed me, but thats not true. The only thing I was disappointed with was the meta-battle and since that was at the end of the episode it just left me with that feeling when I made the post. As I stated before, I thought the rest of the episode was good. And I don't even think the meta-battle was bad. It's just that it wasn't the "fuck yeah" moment it could have been if DEEN put more effort into it than they did.
Aug 22, 2009 12:27 AM
Jul 2008
Weird. Even if she says the red text tells the truth, she is a witch. She can make it show red if she wants to, sure of it. Anyway, just when Kanon gets cooler he dies, again -_-
Aug 22, 2009 12:50 AM
Aug 2009
This is demonstrated later on, but actually, it's impossible to say a false statement in red. If there were ever a case that it were possible, it would be a really major retcon to this series.
Aug 22, 2009 2:34 AM

Aug 2009
OmegaDenmad said:

I can watch that all day long... x_X

Hahaha, yeah that one. That is funny and ridiculous.

Aug 22, 2009 4:54 AM

Oct 2008
So...is Truth automatically displayed in red, or can she choose when to use the red text?
Aug 22, 2009 5:11 AM

Aug 2009
Lapan said:
So...is Truth automatically displayed in red, or can she choose when to use the red text?

I think witch can deceive anytime since they work with the devil and my informative post shows that clearly.

Beatrice will use all means on Battler. I hope he can prove with science and logic that her magic FAILED!

Aug 22, 2009 7:49 AM

Jun 2008
Lapan said:

She chooses when to use the red text.
Aug 22, 2009 8:19 AM

Sep 2007
This episode stopped being interesting when it turned into Bleach.

LOL IMMA PULL OUT MY LIGHT SWORD AND CUT SUM GOATS LOLZ
Aug 22, 2009 9:13 AM
Apr 2009
Foggle said:
This episode stopped being interesting when it turned into Bleach.

LOL IMMA PULL OUT MY LIGHT SWORD AND CUT SUM GOATS LOLZ

Then you should just drop it because banquet and alliance have a whole bunch of magic.
Fuck, I feel like spoiling, but just read the VN.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.