Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 9, 2009 4:56 AM

Feb 2009
Aw, I actually cried. T_T
Aug 9, 2009 5:14 AM

Dec 2007
That episode was very sad with jii-san and his wife :(
Aug 9, 2009 7:45 AM

Jan 2008
Sad episode was sad. The soundtrack was really good.
Aug 9, 2009 10:34 AM

Dec 2008
...You people are very sensitive, almost too sensitive lol; this episode made so many cry?

Probably the episode I enjoyed the most atm; very nice pace and it didn't have annoying elements. I didn't even mind that the brat-girl was nice now, since after living what she lived up to now, it'd be more annoying/stupid if she didn't change. There wasn't anything 'surprising', and it was quite predictable, that's probably the biggest downside, imo.

4/5, still.

Lol @ the people who actually thought the old guy worked in the black market with children/adults.
HakoriaAug 9, 2009 10:43 AM
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Aug 9, 2009 1:11 PM
Mar 2009
Good episode, that old couple had it bad and so did Mirai's classmate. You can only truly be strong through the pain of loss and I think that's what the old man is trying to reflect on the kids.
Aug 9, 2009 1:40 PM
Feb 2009
This episode was so fucking depressing. Damn, it really got me.
Aug 9, 2009 5:14 PM

May 2009
Nice break from the chain of bad events our three characters encountered, it was sad, touching and showed that there are people out there who care about the others and want to do everything they can to help them.

Furuichi's story was very sad, I was impressed by his ability to help after his loss (he must have a stong will), even if I think it's a good thing for him, keeping his mind of the tragedy he just lived.
Aug 9, 2009 5:27 PM

May 2009
I felt so bad for the grandma and was stunned when I saw the church. I am glad that Mirai is more accepting of Mari now.
-=Dear gravity don't let me go, hold me like the winter holds the cold=-
Aug 9, 2009 7:31 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
yes, yes it was sad. this whole series is quite sad.

anyways, I think it's a bit ironic that there was an real 6.9 earthquake this morning 200 miles from Japan o.o
p r o f i l e 👀
Aug 9, 2009 8:28 PM
Mar 2008
Hakoria said:
...You people are very sensitive, almost too sensitive lol; this episode made so many cry?

Probably the episode I enjoyed the most atm; very nice pace and it didn't have annoying elements. I didn't even mind that the brat-girl was nice now, since after living what she lived up to now, it'd be more annoying/stupid if she didn't change. There wasn't anything 'surprising', and it was quite predictable, that's probably the biggest downside, imo.

4/5, still.

Full ack ;) Though i find it equally hilarious anyone even comes close to tears with only this shallow drama... i shudder to think what flood people would cause if they'd all watch Air. (as in anime, not the air ;p)

Characters for the first time ever were realistic - but the drama is weak with this one. If this is a catastrophe it must be the one where cotton balls crush you because i don't see any blood anywhere. Also funny, all cars on the streets suddenly disappeared... You'd also think there'd be more military vehicles around for transport of food etc.

Well but it was the best episode yet ;)

Though apart from the local - it remains that this is the most inefficient and unrealistic emergency response ever.
Aug 9, 2009 8:43 PM

Jun 2009
The episode was very teary and I feel sorry for the 2 seniors

The brown liquid pouring into the curry cracked me up because of the reaction of Mirai
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 9, 2009 9:19 PM

Aug 2008
Gramps is a total badass with a heart o' gold!
Aug 10, 2009 7:03 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
eRe4s3r said:

Full ack ;) Though i find it equally hilarious anyone even comes close to tears with only this shallow drama... i shudder to think what flood people would cause if they'd all watch Air. (as in anime, not the air ;p)

The level of realism between TM8.0 and Air is still a bit different. And that mere difference could mean whether people shed tears or not. Yes, Air is more dramatic, just like Clannad After Story is (they are both written by KEY), but it is not as touching (because it's a fantasy drama). Drama != Touchingly sad

No matter how flawed TM8.0 is, it still is based on realism, whereas Air doesn't have that. And it doesn't focus only on the main characters using the "Greek tragedy" model. TM8.0 focuses more less egoistical theme and small touching details on the side characters.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 10, 2009 9:14 AM

Jan 2009
damn man, i almost cried when furuichi says
"i should've been the one who dies... i want the young lives..."

damn it's so touching !
Aug 10, 2009 2:19 PM

Jun 2009
Great touching episode, much better than the last one. I was so sad at the end... T_T
Aug 10, 2009 2:28 PM

Dec 2008
wakka9ca said:
The level of realism between TM8.0 and Air is still a bit different. And that mere difference could mean whether people shed tears or not. Yes, Air is more dramatic, just like Clannad After Story is (they are both written by KEY), but it is not as touching (because it's a fantasy drama). Drama != Touchingly sad

No matter how flawed TM8.0 is, it still is based on realism, whereas Air doesn't have that. And it doesn't focus only on the main characters using the "Greek tragedy" model. TM8.0 focuses more less egoistical theme and small touching details on the side characters.

Besides the unrealistic small-parts KEY always has with their characters/story, the rest is completely realistic, when it comes to their situation/what happens to them/what happened to them/etc, and that's why people shed tears for those animes. I don't consider the drama in KEY's animes to be fantasy, since the drama itself lies within the real aspect and not the fantasy one (main exception would be a certain arc in Kanon 2006). Just wanted to make it clear on how I see it,
They are also good at moving people because the link you have with the concerned character is built up very well (especially if you marathon, since you love someone and not even 2 hours later you're rendered speechless and feel like stabbing someone else, or however you like releasing your frustrations| I'm not even going to mention the use of their amazing music tracks, that's also something that shouldn't be overlooked, and people have mentioned familiar things for this episode); TM.8 has done that in it's previous episodes though. What TM.8 did with this episode is indeed quite different than the more usual drama-oriented animes/stories, but there are also animes that have done better in that category.

What I mean with all of that: TM.8 does it good, but it didn't stand out in any category atm, which is why seeing people be moved this much (to the point of crying) is surprising. I know that all of that depends with the person, but I'm just stating one of my thoughts.

Like eRe4s3r said, Air is a good example, but Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is a better example if you want something that's realist (no fantasy side-story), touchingly sad (it occurs more than we'd want, sadly, so a lot might feel connected to it this way (just as how people are moved by the earthquake scenario because they live on the Californian coast)), and doesn't concentrate on just 1 main girl in general (it's not by KEY, that explains the last thing). Some VNs are also good in the realism (no-fantasy drama), but after choosing a certain girl, I don't know many which still concentrate/talk about the other girls more than only a couple of times in 2-3 hours of reading text.

If you take an overall look at those 'multiple-girls 1-guy' animes, most of the girls which don't end up with the main char are important for a few eps, then pretty much gone for the rest of the anime; I'd consider them side-characters too, since a main one would demand to actually be important/present the entire show and not just one arc, IMO, (or at least have a very important influence/action done in the first half that would mean you can't forget him by the time the second half is done)

Anyway, I agree that it's quite hard to find a sad story about small side characters unless you do a general aspect of people's situation. So it was a nice change seeing Bones do this.
HakoriaAug 10, 2009 2:37 PM
Aug 10, 2009 3:41 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Hakoria said:

Besides the unrealistic small-parts KEY always has with their characters/story, the rest is completely realistic, when it comes to their situation/what happens to them/what happened to them/etc, and that's why people shed tears for those animes.

But that aspect of the main girl dying from either a mysterious incurable disease or due to some fantasy-related twisted fate no longer fall into the category of standard realism. Of course, this does not mean the series are bad, it just means it's not the same as TM8.0.

Hakoria said:

Like eRe4s3r said, Air is a good example, but Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is a better example if you want something that's realist (no fantasy side-story), touchingly sad (it occurs more than we'd want, sadly, so a lot might feel connected to it this way (just as how people are moved by the earthquake scenario because they live on the Californian coast)), and doesn't concentrate on just 1 main girl in general (it's not by KEY, that explains the last thing).

No offense, but the main male protagonist of Kimi ga nozumu Eien destroyed the series. I've come to hate him as much as Shinji from NGE. It completely destroyed any possibility of me being "touched" by the series...I wouldn't have cared if all the characters horribly died (maybe except Mitsuki)

Hakoria said:

If you take an overall look at those 'multiple-girls 1-guy' animes, most of the girls which don't end up with the main char are important for a few eps, then pretty much gone for the rest of the anime; I'd consider them side-characters too, since a main one would demand to actually be important/present the entire show and not just one arc, IMO, (or at least have a very important influence/action done in the first half that would mean you can't forget him by the time the second half is done)

I think it's just me who has a grudge against harem series that try so hard to be realistic, dramatic and sad (yeah, Clannad AS was sad I admit it). Strange because I usually can watch fantasy harem comedy to SOME extent....I think the main reason is that I often find the main male character annoying as hell (not really true for Clannad though, but I still was a bit not impressed). Anyway, I personally find TM8.0 more touching because they focus on often trivial details and there are no exaggerated "Greek tragedy" as in all of KEY's works.....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 10, 2009 4:05 PM

Dec 2008
We'll see if TM8.0 continues with that realist drama though; the series is far from finished, and some parts might give the idea that they might exaggerate soon, but that's just imo.

Eh, I'll reply to the key/greek-tragedy discussion on your profile if you don't mind, since it might go off-topic here.
Aug 10, 2009 4:08 PM

Aug 2008
I'm on wakka's side. Kimi ga nozumu Eien is a loathsome series, and like him, I can't really stand the Key series because it's all so forumlaic and obvious. It's easier to surprise viewers within one episode with cameos than it is with a big cast and arced/serialized stories.
Aug 10, 2009 4:29 PM

Oct 2007
I am second that, I know my score of those Key series are high but it doesn't matter because the point is that I agree with wakka9ca, excepted Kimi ga Nozomu Eien since I haven't seen it yet.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Aug 10, 2009 7:15 PM
Mar 2008
Well of course TM8.0 is a different genre than Air ^^

But heres something to ponder, have you seen grave of the fireflies? If yes, then you will shed not a single tear for such shallow drama. If not, then you might not want to watch it if you already cried just on the mentioning of 2 dead children which aren't even related to the plot, or the main char, or anything.. really. They are just random plot devices to form the character of the girl (which by the way, is the part i like about this series ,p).

And if they had shown some back story to those children, i'd say, yeah.. that was sad (albeit very unrealistic ,p). But random dead people you don't know are sad? To me a church full of dead people is sad, 2 more or less doesn't really matter from that point on. They would have been better off to introduce the 2 dead children before showing us an entire church full with dead people....

Also its Day 3 right?
So those dead.. are.. ehm like dead for 3 days now..
At brooding heat...
Not cooled...

Yuck
Aug 10, 2009 7:24 PM

Aug 2008
I have seen GotF...and you are right, much like the Key series, its only goal is to make the viewer cry without doing proper work with the characters, just sad things, and thus is shallow garbage.

The point of the church was to ruin the fantasy that Mirai has of her school, and to show her that her "friend's" mother had died, leading to a really good moment where Mirai examined her feelings of helplessness. This was also hearkened at the end when she learns of Furuichi's encounter with the earthquake. She feel despicable for her actions when someone who has actually lost not one but two people is actually making the effort of being some use.
Aug 11, 2009 12:49 AM
Mar 2008
Well, after seeing Air i am saturated by that kind of over the top drama too, don't get me wrong i can only stomach that many "super sad and only focused on being sad and depressing" stories before being sick of the entire genre (and by the way, Air also cured me from any and all Drama/Romance/Harem Anime, for eternity!) (Exception would be Love Hina, but that was before air ,p)

After thinking about your post previously a bit more i can't help but agree, in a character development sense TM8.0 does make more than just a shallow effort, even going as far as to include complex loss issues etc. - Not with the goal to make anyone sad but to advance characters and maintain the mood of large scale catastrophe with streaks of hope (way too much hope, but ok ;p)

But story wise its a bit on the light side (well thats to be expected)... still you changed my rating for this anime substantially.. ^^
Aug 11, 2009 1:54 AM

Dec 2008
Haven't seen GotF, so I can't really say what I thought of it, haha.

eRe4s3r said:
maintain the mood of large scale catastrophe with streaks of hope (way too much hope, but ok ;p)

Mirai's still a child/teen, the old guy knew that, so giving them this kind of hope (being quite a lot) isn't really unbelievable; a lot of people (especially in such situations) believe that the younger generations will have to be strong and continue their lives proudly/well once everything is over, that's why giving her hope was like an important task to him whether he knew her or not.

If you meant that the majority of the viewers have hope that there will be a good ending, then that's obvious. No one is in this actual situation in Japan with them; if people actually were, it's only natural to have hope/faith in something, or else you find the point of your existence far more void. No one is viewing the anime/situation completely into it, since we're not personally concerned by an earthquake of scale 8 by Richter (or w/e); it's like how you can't predict how you will act once facing with death.
This is also an anime, and over half of the time there are good endings (just like movies, etc, since a lot want to give faith in humankind, messages of not giving up, etc), so statistically, the chances of a good ending here (maybe one of the parents will be dead, obvious drama pointing out 'even though you lost half of your happiness (family here), that just means you have to love the second half twice as much') are higher. My example would still be a good ending if it's done normally, even without being exaggerated to make you think it's more of a good one than a bad one.

It's true that the church's point was as noteDhero said, at least that's how I also viewed it; but it's also pointing out something quite interesting. A lot of people were especially moved by what the grandpa had to live through, but that's because we've got to know him and that made people more attached to him. But like eRe4s3r said, the church full of dead people, should logically be far more sad, yet it wasn't the case, because no one had any attachments to them/knew them. Sadly, I can't say I'm even the least bit surprised by human's emotions depending on the situations, since knowing this before-hand made this part obvious when I watched the episode (it almost seems like people completely forgot about the church/school; role done, you can leave now, ty).

It attaches itself to our reality quite well. I'm not complaining about how stupid this seemed, since it was far from that; it's exactly what would happen for most people irl. I just find it funny that showing this might have not even been the intention from the start (by the studio), although it could also have (and putting more time on another subject to make this one more discreet isn't a 'rare' way of making movies/etc). Also the fact it surely made some people consider themselves humane for having such feelings instead of apathetic ones, even though this is just an anime, yet they were focused only on a group of characters, the one you know things of. That would greatly vary depending on if you consider someone humane if he follows the average logic/reactions of most humans (this case, group 1), or if he actually believes in all the 'every human should be equal, no one is more important than another, etc' (group 2). Here I meant, group 1 believing they are acting like group 2 would be, yet are unbelievably false, even to the point of being blind.

It's easy to say "It's possible that the fact you don't know anything about the other families is far from helping the 'feeling pity/sad for them' situation, but that's also re-enforced the belief that they might not be worth your time for all they've done in the past (murder, etc)", but that'd become too philosophical, and then the same could still hold true with the old guy. I'd be surprised if it was the case, seeing this anime isn't taking this kind of route, but it seems no one even though that the story of the old guy might be 90% lies by the time the episode finished. I'm not convinced that it's mainly lies, but people also forget that exaggerations can be useful in this situation, and are obviously strong believers of 'In such a situation, how can you believe people would lie, it's impossible!'.

I'm viewing all of that from a more neutral p.o.v, I didn't feel sad either for the dead mass in the church nor for the old guy, but the latter was probably made obvious by the time you arrived at this part of the post, heh.
HakoriaAug 11, 2009 2:07 AM
Aug 12, 2009 9:36 AM
May 2008
I really liked this episode because it took a step back from the action and kind of just became a passive chill period. The characters also got a bit more intimate but not only the main cast but also some side characters which was nice since there hasn't been much so far in the series. So overall a nice slow paced episode and probably my favorite so far.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Aug 13, 2009 9:43 AM

Nov 2007
I can`t figure this show out. there was absolutely no concept to this episde, and mirai is somewhat annoying.
I just can't see where is this going..
Aug 14, 2009 6:37 AM

Jan 2008
_Gal_ said:
I can`t figure this show out. there was absolutely no concept to this episde, and mirai is somewhat annoying.
It's about surviving a natural disaster, what's there to get? You want an adventure or something?
Aug 14, 2009 7:19 AM

Apr 2009
aero said:
It's about surviving a natural disaster

Yeah, I'll stick to that too, a survival story. But it all feel so artificial, walking an unnatural path... I mean, you feel the hand of the author driving the characters...
It's still borderline between "epic story of a bunch of people who made the difference in the disaster" and "common people trying to survive" after 5/11 eps.
I liked this one episode because the old man felt just like an ordinary person... The main group, on the contrary, survived in person to: the fall of the highway, the fall of the bridge, the fall of Tokyo Tower. Not your average disaster story.

I hope they'll choose either the "casual hero" path or the "average survivor" path by the next episode.
Aug 18, 2009 9:52 PM

Aug 2009
_Gal_ said:

I'm surprised you felt this way about Mirai, because she was a lot more likable this episode! She finally stopped throwing those tantrums (for now).

The 'theme' for this episode is death. We caught glimpses of it in the past four shows, but this is the first time that the series explored the topic thoroughly. First, we saw Mirai's classmate mourning over her mother's death; then, we learned more about the old man's grandchildren. The fact that Mirai was upset on both accounts, even though she never met the deceased before, shows she has a lot of empathy for other people's pain. She doesn't express it in the most helpful way (through her tears), but it's a refreshing side to her personality after acting like a brat for so long.

With that said, I didn't think this was a very powerful episode dramatically, although I predict the emotional impact will increase as the show progresses. I think they're saving the tearjerker scenes for later, if something happens to the main characters' families.

Writing is my hobby. My current project is called The Mole: Anime Edition 2.0.
Aug 20, 2009 8:32 AM

Dec 2008
Cry cry cry :( that's all I do when I watch this anime man...

I really like this episode a lot, especially the fact that we see the characters stationary at a familiar place and interacting with other characters..

noteDhero said:
Kimi ga nozumu Eien is a loathsome series
Omg I hated that series. I've never hated any character THAT much, but damn I hated that blue-haired b*tch >:(!!
Aug 21, 2009 10:35 AM
Jun 2008
I felt so bad for Furuichi-san =(
He is just amazing!
Aug 23, 2009 4:05 PM

Nov 2007
Wow, this was much better than the previous episode. I cried at the end. ;_;
Aug 24, 2009 2:30 PM

Jul 2008
Wasabi said:
I'm glad Mirai is finally over her PMS so we can now focus more on the emotions of other characters.

I agree, it's nice to finally have a larger perspective.

Emotional episode, I even got a couple of tears rolling down my cheeks, which is pretty unusual for me. I'm loving this series more and more.
------------------------
Database Guidelines
Denials: anime | manga
Modifications: anime | manga
-----------------------------------
Aug 26, 2009 8:33 AM

May 2007
I feel very, very bad after watching this episode, very well done.
My anime list
Aug 26, 2009 8:29 PM

Sep 2008
I really liked this ep, I wil admit I did tear up after hearing Furuichi's story. I can't imagine what it would be like in real life. T__T
Sep 1, 2009 9:29 PM

Apr 2008
this was a nice episode. finally mrai stops being bratty.. i admit she reminds me of myself sometimes, though haha. so sad when furuichi was like.. i shoulda been the one who died > <
Sep 2, 2009 1:50 AM

Jan 2009
I kinda teared up. T_T

And somebody give that old guy a par of GAR glasses. If anybody deserves them, he does.
Sep 13, 2009 12:48 AM

Apr 2009
I shed some tears. I blame it on the music playing at the time.

Sep 20, 2009 10:00 PM

Dec 2007
This episode is more depressing than the previous episode. Mirai is finally no longer annoying to me.
Oct 7, 2009 8:01 PM

Jul 2008
fisher_88 said:
Hey, hey, where did little miss whiny-face go! Was she hit on the head when the tower fell? Now, she's a nice, even sensitive, kid? That was a 180 character transformation if I ever saw one.

Yeah. But it was nice seeing her smiling, caring about others and stuff. I hope Furuichi-san's story will have a constant impact on her xD

Furuichi-ojiisan is awesome >w< and poor Misako-san T^T
Oct 13, 2009 3:31 AM

Apr 2009
And the most epic awesome old man in anime award goes to...

Mr. Furuichi!

he needs a medal...
Feb 9, 2010 11:23 PM

May 2009
i shed a few tears when i saw the kids, my eye balls just suddenly started to hurt and a few tears followed afterwards.

kids and females are my weakness.
i created a club that is building up a emotional "feels" anime collections
so if anyone wants to join it and get emotional together please come and join us <3
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=18987
Click for link^
Mar 16, 2010 8:11 PM
Feb 2010
What a sad episode. I admit, I almost cried watching this episode. :(

Best episode so far.
Jun 29, 2010 6:40 AM

Oct 2008
OMG, jii-chan. ;___________;
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jul 29, 2010 6:07 AM

Nov 2009
Persocom said:
very touching episode

TRUE.
Sep 12, 2010 4:10 PM

Feb 2009
Yeah there is a think that you can do Mirai, stop being a fucking pain!
Sep 16, 2010 8:58 AM
Oct 2008
Very emotional episode. Great.
Oct 22, 2010 5:40 AM

Mar 2009
Not one of the better eps, in my opinion. It was alright though.
Oct 27, 2010 7:40 AM

Sep 2010
oh..another sad episode...poor Gramps losing his grandchildren... ;_;
and the Tokyo tower ;_; RIP
Dec 30, 2010 5:28 AM

Jan 2010
what a sad episode :(...at first i thought the grandma has alzheimer :(,but still this sucks,and the old man is a great character

such a heartwarming yet bitter episode :(

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kashim - Sep 17, 2009

506 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 11:11 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Sporkness - Sep 10, 2009

214 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UnknownFact - Sep 4, 2009

134 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:05 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 27, 2009

180 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:12 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

porkypink - Aug 21, 2009

112 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 8:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.