Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]
Jun 14, 2020 1:37 PM

Mar 2018
Worst arc ever. Seven episode and 15,000+ repeats where they didn't even try to end it and then it finally had most boring conclusion.
Jun 18, 2020 12:58 PM

Aug 2014
as an anime only watcher, i would have prefered if Kyon went to hug Haruhi and do the romance development stuff to break the loop. That would have added some great development and drama. But oh well

Endless 8 episodes were good, but overkill. You just needed three episodes (first episode, one of the middle episodes, and the final episode). Endless 8 was good due to the fast pacing of each episode, being on new scenarios, etc. But again, overkill.
oooo3333May 7, 2023 1:08 PM
Aug 25, 2020 1:31 PM

Jan 2014
ehhh so it was the homework... lame ending tho imo, it all happened at the very end and now that i think about it, it doesn't make much sense to me. haruhi finished her homework already, why would this end her regret about summer??? this would make more sense if kyon was causing the time loop >.>

i actually enjoyed the endless eight and hyped myself up so much for the last ep but it was so anticlimactic i think i'll drop the score from an 8 to a 7 :/
Oct 24, 2020 7:57 PM

Mar 2020
I've always found Kyon's obsession with Mikuru to be weird and creepy, but I wasn't expecting him to go full on retard over her.

I'm not really feeling this season to be honest. The characters are way dumber than their season 1 counterparts, and the story has been dragging its feet for way too long. What made the first season so solid was that it kept moving along at a brisk pace. Even though it wildly leapt from idea to idea, there was enough minutiae and consistency for it to be engaging. There are still a few things I enjoy, but watching this has been more of a commitment than a pleasure.
Nov 13, 2020 6:02 AM

Feb 2020
chronological order

i like how they made up at the end but haruhi took it way too far by making mikuru get drunk. koizumi should've done something earlier
Dec 8, 2020 2:00 AM
Dec 2013
I bet it's 8 episodes because it's "Endless Eight"

Yeah right. Talk about an expensive prank of the director to the viewers. I actually got tired watching all 8, waiting for a clue and checking all sorts of details, to no avail.
Mar 16, 2021 7:35 PM

Jun 2014
Kyon snapped at Haruhi's treatment of Mikuru, and almost struck Haruhi. I can't blame him, as she was going too far.

Everything's back to normal now, but who knows what else will happen.

Apr 10, 2021 6:26 PM
Jul 2018
I don't care about everything that happened before, this episode was amazing just for those final five minutes. The suffering from before made it so so satisfying.
Overall the endless eight is not a good arc obviously, definitely the worst arc in the show yet. However, the payoff was incredible and I'm assuming this will make the movie hit that much harder.
Only up from here.
May 11, 2021 9:20 PM

Jan 2019
Episode 4 of sigh- Haruhi's antics have escalated to the point of abuse now. Kyon is right to be upset. What use is there protecting a god that will be needlessly cruel for entertainment?
May 15, 2021 8:53 AM
Jul 2020
BRO finally but HOMEWORK???? JZjdjfkdnckejfid u gotta be fucking kidding me. I didn't go through all that just bcz of a fucking homework.

Anyways, i did pretty much enjoy EE, the idea of it was amazing and the fact that not even a single frame has been reused is just 🔥
Jun 11, 2021 10:49 PM

May 2020
FINALLY THANK YOU KYON
Jul 26, 2021 9:09 AM

Aug 2020
[chronological order]

Finally, someone is telling off Haruhi. Very satisfying to watch after her constant torment for 2 seasons.

Also, did you notice when Kyon opened the door of the club room, Haruhi was styling her hair in a ponytail. I'm guessing this was a reference to that other episode where Kyon said that she looked good in one (I think it was when they were both trapped in that closed space together in season 1). When your down, you try to reminisce about the past.
MaxiDennisJul 26, 2021 9:12 AM

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Jul 30, 2021 12:23 PM

Jan 2020
I wasn't expecting haruhi to get in a fight like that. But t least kyon finally decided to step it up

Aug 13, 2021 7:38 PM

Dec 2015
Dude, that was so damn long
Dec 26, 2021 4:49 AM

May 2020
[CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER]

Finally, Finally after 15,532 loops and eight damn long episodes, we reached the summit. Took so long for Kyon to realize what was missing all these time.

Quite evident why is it hated so much, but if i were to be brutally honest, i had fun. Was fun to notice those small changes every single time, witnessing that same start and same end for 7 episodes straight and many more things. But hey not like i can't sympathize with those bashing this, their reasoning too is on point.

Will miss "Kyon-kun, denwa" though.
Feb 1, 2022 7:55 AM

Dec 2007
what great ending to this bizarre but surprisingly amazing arc.
i dunno if other people will notice, but probably because i watched this marathonly and made the so-gamble ok kyonai on this arc to be worth for , but i believe kyon was able to finally change something and recall isn't because is because of too many changes in this loop around, the changes aren't only in the actions but in lines too - usual lines kyon had said but now he did not like in the star gazing event, some with the usual meeting with mikuru, kazuro doesn't explaining things as usual too. and more and more things.
i'm little disappointed about kyon never had a chance to really talk with nagato everytime he approaches but in the end it led him to the solution. i believe it didn't even had to be homework but something haruhi did already but doing it twice, that's why he was shown with pool dejavu, bug dejavu, eating dejavu and more. but he ended up with homework because it bugged him more than usual.
in the end i still think it's haruhi saying "we need to use all this time of summer" the "we" is the important part as they usual were apart, and that's the key. but they did it fine in own kyon way.
i must say though that during this episode haruhi was more like a robot than usual lol. until the end at least. (probably because for the previous episodes haruhi's voice was just used over and over and not recorder from start, but in this one they needed to recorded her again)

i read lot of bad things about this arc, but it actually went more joyful than i thought.
never the less i feel sorry for those who watched it weekly, this arc is supposed to be marathoned.
if however someone will ask me if to skip episodes, i will suggest the next:
part 1 - probably "the original"
part 2 - the first loop to have mikuru
part 4 - the animation and OsT are just wonderful
part 7 - though this and 6 to be too normal, i think the direction in this one was important to highlight some parts of "the riddle"
part 8 - the solution
i think it's important though to see as many as loops as possible to see the changes in part 8, so the more recommended order would be:
1 - part 1
2 - part 2
3 - part 4
4 - part 5
5 - part 7
6 - part 8
that way it's not eight but enough to get the important changes from each. though i still think the better way is just sitting through the whole episodes.

though i still enjoyed this arc very much, it still was big gamble of kyonai doing this riddle, as shown in MAL's discussion, it's depends on people thoughts. as i see it, those who didn't liked the airing order of season 1, would probably won't like this. but those who liked and understood the reason for that will be enjoyed very much.

ButadonMeitantei said:
A nice, satisfying ending to one of the most controversial arcs out of any anime, not just Haruhi. Finally, the Endless Eight ends with episode eight.

Personally, I would've preferred it if the arc's episodes showed the increase in loops more dramatically, for example if the second episode of the arc was only the 50th loop, and the third episode the 546th loop or something, as it makes Kyon's solution to the time loop seem more developed. But alas, here we are.

Horray - for more Haruhi!

now i have the time i have to respond to you a little.
as you may have seen in nagato's speeches over the E8 she says they work on a lot of jobs, the reason they ended up working only in one is because gradually the more the loop increasing the more haruhi not happy and it's not her "ultimate summer", so the more the loops continued the more things special about her kept happening, and since only the supermarket shop was her favourite and special she didn't wanted it.
now, if the loops the series shows would be 5,000 10,000 and so on, the changes would be much more clear. but they are still unaware for them to be in a loop, only in the 2nd part loop they are finally are aware for them to be in loop.
now, because endless eight "story" was so we will "enjoy" more about the small and little changes, and to make us to think more about the hints and keys to the solution, they needed it to be the 15,x-whatever it was it started. (Check my other endless eight episodes threads comments to understand me more)
as for the reason why indeed they were aware for being in loop only in that number, i can only guess that the loop became more and more stable with the same events and less changes from each other, that the deja vu made more clear, and furthermore enabled also the change for mikuru possible to check her time jump machine.

and yeah, the fact that i wrote so much about endless eight arc just showing how much i respect koyAni to succeed making this kind of project.

final word -
another aspect i had thought during this arc, is the choice of option, it seems kyon - though really wanted to change something at the end of each loop - couldn't really do something, the estimate reason for that is clearly the fact that he needs to go back doing this, again and again, it clearly is showing during the the endless eight arc that though they had some free choice in part 2, they still don't change any action. only at the last part where they could change much more, the more they can change by their choices, and that where this arc ended.
really little something i noticed, but it means a lot with the "message" that time loops can block people mind. another think kyoAni played with.
User-NameFeb 1, 2022 12:39 PM
Apr 5, 2022 11:07 AM
Nov 2021
i think the very end made it worth it
Aug 31, 2022 12:35 PM

Nov 2020
FINALLY IT ENDED !!!! This is probably the worst arc in fiction

The conclusion was so classic and meaningless

Sep 22, 2022 3:37 PM
Sep 2021
I'm convinced that the author and the studio were high on drugs. There's no way any sane person would write a series like this.
Oct 4, 2022 11:18 PM

May 2022
Haruhi is most insufferable b*tch character I've encountered. I was really looking forward for that slap...
she alone is enough to drop the rating of whole series.
Oct 6, 2022 10:12 AM
Aug 2018
oooo3333 said:
as an anime only watcher, i would have prefered if Kyon went to hug Haruhi and do the romance development stuff to break the loop. That would have added some great development and drama.

I agree. Especially since this was already established to get Haruhi out of her "moods" in the first season when a kiss stopped her from destroying the world.
Does the Reaper Dream of Darkness Darker than Black?
Oct 19, 2022 10:06 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
That was it? Homework was the key? What bullshit.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Nov 16, 2022 5:07 AM

Oct 2021
this bitch has no sense of human decency? really koizumi? shes a logical person? no she isnt. she drugs her friend, smacks her whenever she isnt doing what she wants to, throws her into freezing and dirty water where she can potentially get infections, and continues to not understand anything about filmmaking despite others saying otherwise. She's the worst character in this show and her personality is straight up dogshit.
Jan 13, 2023 1:52 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part IV

These episodes just end seemingly out of nowhere, wherever it so damn pleases to. It's like they were meant to all be strung together as a movie and not broken up as episodes.

Anyway, f*ck you Kyon for speaking up when things were actually going to get interesting for once (the kissy kiss), and then f*ck you Koizumi for stopping Kyon from redeeming himself from stopping things getting interesting for once (stopping him from taking a swing at Haruhi. And it wasn't one brief moment where he felt the urge, Koizumi was holding onto his arm for a good while. Seems like all the built up frustration within Kyon finally was too much to handle and he really wanted to settle things with violence). And f*ck Haruhi in general for just being kind of annoying. Funny and quirky, I guess, but still annoying. But that split-second moment at the end there where Kyon opens the club room door, and we see Haruhi for a brief second holding up her hair in a ponytail, before getting shocked and putting it down? Honestly one of the best moments of the whole series thus far. Bring back ponytail Haruhi this instant. Anyway, while lots of different scenarios could have played out from that room where Kyon and Haruhi exploded at each other, all in all, it did make things interesting at the end of the day. But all of that is quickly reverted as Kyon gives Haruhi a subtle apology in telling her that the movie must be finished no matter what. Sigh. I guess having all that drama was, different, I guess. 

This series has been a chore to get through. But it being JUST OKAY ENOUGH for me to power on through it, along with my main drive for finishing this again being, the movie, which I trust is actually good, has helped me get this far. One more episode of this god forsaken arc (deadass this might just have been more painful to get through than the endless eight... and it's SHORTER), then the 4 episodes which are chronologically last but technically aired in the "first" season, and then I'm DONE, I can watch the MOVIE, which is the ONLY THING I care about for this series. It's almost done... almost there.

edit: This is supposed to be the thread for the final episode of the endless eight, as you can see above. I just thought how funny it is how people are both relieved and pissed as f*ck at the same time.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 27, 2023 12:19 PM

Jul 2022
I must say that I loved how the idea of infinite August was implemented in 8 episodes, but that the outcome was like this leaves me upset but I understand it.
Mar 1, 2023 11:29 AM
Jul 2018
I was mad as fuck, but reaching this episode somehow felt so satisfying lmao
May 3, 2023 9:23 PM
Feb 2021
Jesus fucking Christ that was anticlimactic
May 31, 2023 4:22 PM

Dec 2007
rewatch- chronological- ep23

things getting more personal this time around.

mikuru note for kyon and haruhi not to fight because of "classified information" (lol), kinda hinting that kyon and haruhi should be lovers lol
Jul 1, 2023 8:28 PM

Oct 2016
Finally over. It had interesting things in it in terms of directing (changes in clothes, coloring, the opening repeating at the end to mark the loop, intead of the ending, and making the viewer feel like in an actual loop), and it was a risky decision, but man it was tough to sit through.
Jul 11, 2023 12:39 AM

Jul 2021
well it finally ended. some degenrate already spoiled the hw part in ep 5 discussion but still at least it's over. feels almost lukewarm ending after 7 episodes of torture. even i have only 2 weeks of my summer vacation left, can't believe i wasted 20*7=140 mins watching same shit. but no one to blame but me. anyway moving on~

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jul 23, 2023 10:45 PM

Jun 2023
kyon screaming at haruhi is so satisfying ngl
Oct 19, 2023 8:33 PM

Mar 2023
Haruhi was hinting that this was what she wanted when she offered the leader position for a day if anyone won cicadas catching
Jan 3, 10:31 AM

Apr 2023
letsss goooooo!!!!!! i love homework!!!!!! nagato can rest!!!! woohoo!!!
Feb 28, 12:06 PM

Aug 2019
What is this LOL Why did this take eight episodes. I think if I had watched this as it aired back in 2009, I would've dropped it. Eight weeks of what is essentially the same episode... This should have ended by part 3 or 4, and even then 4 is kind of pushing it

On one hand I am glad that I didn't skip the arc completely for my first time watching, but on another, I can't see myself rewatching this arc for a while. I'm just glad I didn't go with my idea to fully commit and watch one episode a week for this arc just to get the full effect. At the very least now I can get to some actual new episodes
Apr 7, 11:31 PM
Sep 2021
HAHAHAHAHA FINALLY
Apr 11, 9:07 AM
Jan 2019
Whoever thought it was a good idea to make 8 episodes of Endless Eight needs to be fired ASAP because If there is someone who genuinely watch the entire Endless Eight Arc I can tell that the needs their mental health checked because I can assure that they are slowly going insane for each episode passes.
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]

More topics from this board

» Sign here if you watch all eight episodes of Endless Eight. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shuffleair - Aug 13, 2009

1534 by _Udara »»
May 2, 5:27 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 10, 2009

292 by Generose »»
Apr 12, 11:11 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kappaka - May 21, 2009

449 by Ryan_the_Bread »»
Mar 30, 1:13 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 30, 2009

276 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:45 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Jul 23, 2009

360 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.