Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 13, 2016 5:03 AM

Oct 2013
I admit, the way the haibane are treated does seem a lot like a form of discrimination. It seems like they're treated as nicely as they are mostly because the Haibane Renmei is required for communication with the Toga.

Nice episode. Still hasn't gripped me yet, though.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 21, 2016 5:39 PM
Jul 2014
Hmmm, its getting interesting! Couple of things are really mysterious, perhaps even a bit sinister! Some things are deeply hidden from the angels and I have this feeling that the secret is dark, painful but also meaningful about the origin of the angels and how they have ended up closed behind the walls! Their picturesque little town is nothing else but prison!

I really enjoyed in first two episodes. The pace is calm and easy yet a lot is happening - from Rakka's birth and coming of age to her introduction in both the immediate family and the wider community with its rules and restrictions! I quite like the art too. So far so good!
jakovJan 21, 2016 6:02 PM
Jun 22, 2017 11:10 AM

Sep 2015
That's what I wanted, right out the gate. More rules, show me how this shit works. The Toras are really creepy honestly. And I'm beyond curious about why and how they're the only ones who can leave the town. The Haibanes are treated like second class citizens. Is that the key to the larger message of the series? Wasn't expecting that from last time. Curious how and when the characters will come in conflict with the titular Renmei. Not much else to say about this episode. Rakka is an adorable protagonist and she looked really cute in her new dress. I also already really love her and Reki's relationship. Can't wait to see more of this show. I haven't felt this hooked in a while.
Jul 20, 2017 6:54 PM
Jun 2016
a good second episode, settting things up and explaining, man I'm probably going to be done with this series fast :> though I kinda have too with crunchyroll adding like a months worth of anime today and yesterday.
Jan 5, 2019 2:02 PM

May 2013
Nice of the shop owner to adjust Rakka's seifuku dress C:

I hope something interesting happens soon.
Mar 5, 2019 9:18 AM

Sep 2017
I’d rather eat $20 worth of Taco Bell and deal with the consequences than watch more of this garbage. The character designs are ass. The show is boring as all f—k! And nothing is happening!
Apr 23, 2019 12:15 PM
Aug 2018
It builds a world where the "Haibane" are second class citizens with cut rights and regulated lives. Obliged to use things humans don't need anymore, live in a rundown and abandoned dormitory, can only wear second hand clothes, not allowed to leave the area, are "forced" to work, but don't receive money but rather balance for an individual written check-like system.

So you can easily control what they can and can't buy.

And then there is the Haibane Renmei that "guarantees" their lives. I wonder for what reason/purpose.

There must be something dark in this world.

Edit:
What I just realised: Why is Rakka, who was just "born" larger than the "Young Feathers"?
There must be some condition that determines the appearance of the newly born Haibane. The obvious reason, since they seems angel-like, could be that they actually died and then are "reborn" as Haibane. So the appearence would depend on the age of their death.
tr25a3Apr 23, 2019 12:22 PM
May 11, 2019 11:38 PM

Jul 2016
I cannot believe people have dubbed this "Elitist Anime"

This is pretty much all talk and no substance.
May 27, 2019 1:34 PM
Sep 2015
The subs sucked again, but who knows, maybe it's my fault for not having a Crunchyroll account (oops)

Humanity stays inside the walls, huh? That's a little similar to Attack on Titan...
Jun 4, 2019 5:34 PM

Aug 2018
Man the background art in this anime is fucking beautiful
Jun 5, 2019 3:08 AM
Jul 2013
Lol why did so many of us decide to randomly start this anime in the past two months. Either way, not bad so far. Pretty slow, but I'm enjoying the world building and buildup to something, whatever that something might be
Jun 5, 2019 1:16 PM

Apr 2014
Calm and relaxing, with a slight feeling this might take a different turn.
The ED is beautiful. <3
Jun 21, 2019 4:39 AM

Oct 2012
Nothing really big happening in this episode
Mostly just introductions and a little bit reveal for what's happening

That crows and communicator though, it seems a trouble or at least we'll see them pretty often in the future
"Signature removed"
Jul 13, 2019 11:43 PM

Jun 2016
A lot of interesting world building this episode. It seems like the Haibane are sort of treated like second-class citizens. I say "sort of" because, while they do seem to be discriminated against by the humans, the humans don't treat them with hostility. It seems that they're just continuing tradition, that they don't currently dislike the Haibane. I presume the humans used to, though.

With Rakka being referred to as a "newborn" this episode, I do wonder how aging works for the Haibane. After all, there are others--the Young Feathers, I think--who look and act younger than Rakka despite their being technically older.

With these questions (as well as other, more obvious ones like "Who are the Toga?" "Why can't anyone leave town?" "What lies beyond the town?"), I'm caught between desiring answers to them and simply accepting as they are, as this series seems to be more metaphorical in nature.

This series is so intriguing, yet also relaxing at the same time.
gotterdammerungJul 13, 2019 11:47 PM
Jan 25, 2020 1:16 PM

Jul 2016
This is kinda weird, but the main character lowkey looks like Lain from Serial Experiments Lain? I probably only think this because both were around the same years and have dirty depressing-in-a-way colors.
Mar 14, 2020 9:44 PM
Aug 2016
Episode 2 throw in a lot of information and questions about how this world works, therefore I shall not repeat.

I am more interested to know what Rakka role plays in this series, is she going to be that "savior" who bumps into a lot of situation, understand the world and probably 'solve' them? Or like the rest, Rakka can only sink herself into this world and follow the rest till end of their lives..
Mar 20, 2020 7:17 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Cool to see more of the world, but it looks like Rakka will have some problems with her body or idk
Apr 6, 2020 7:04 PM

Mar 2016
A quick look at the economics and how do the haibanes co-exist with humans, kinda freaked out at the guy of the mask, I thought an eye was going to blink or something, lol. And yeah, rakka got herself a nice outfit.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jul 22, 2020 5:53 PM

Mar 2020
I'm surprised by how many people have described this series as symbolic. So far, this anime has only really touched on the ideas of prejudice and segregation without much subtlety. I'm not dogging it for that, though. When compared to its protege (Lain), it's probably a better idea to not start with a bunch of insane and inaccessible visual metaphors.

However, to commend what is symbolic, I enjoy how visual metaphor is used to build tension. The falling seen in Rakka's dream is typically associated with a loss of control, and Rakka being trapped underwater in the ED symbolises being overwhelmed by emotion. It's quite an interesting way of showing that we're all victims of circumstance and that it isn't particularly fair to compartmentalize people.

I also just want to mention that I've been blown away by this show's visual presentation. The overcast colour palette and use of establishing shots really works for a show like this.
Sep 12, 2020 1:57 PM
Oct 2019
Ladies and Gentleman that's how you do a proper World building....
Mar 28, 2021 11:58 PM
Jun 2017
I feel there's something more about Reki's story than it meets the eye. The scene was a bit tense when Rekka asked her about it.

It's incredible how does the soundtrack affect the mood of a scene. The stopping of the music made it feel kinda uneasy.

I'm enjoying that Evangelion-esque ending.

I wondered where did the kids come from, but it seems they all come from the same place. I do wonder if they grow up, though...

It was nice to know more about the lifestyle of the Haibane, although it's kinda... out of the ordinary. Haibane Renmei, a mysterious organization. The Togas are very mysterious, too.

I must say I find this series... unsettling. I feel like there's something behind the veil.
Apr 3, 2021 1:41 AM

May 2020
Haibane are treated like second class citizens. I mean it's kinda hard not to see similarities with how the Nazi's treated the Jews prior to WW2. The humans are obviously far less discriminatory but it's still kinda fucked up. The Toga are suspicious as hell too.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but there was unexpectedly fluid animation with Rakka's hair when Kana tried to freak her out about why Haibane Renmei knew her name.
Feb 4, 2022 2:52 PM

Feb 2021
cute moe girls going shopping for clothes. i am intrigued beyond belief by this masterful symbolism
Nov 14, 2022 11:04 AM

Dec 2018
toga guys looking pretty ominous
Mar 9, 2023 4:24 AM

Dec 2022
The Toga are presented in much the same way an antagonistic faction would be introduced in other anime, but I'm not sure that's entirely the case here. The only obviously apparent theme right now is that of restriction (and how it is enforced, I don't yet know), yet the haibane seem to content themselves besides it. I can't help but wanting to know and see more.

Rakka and the rest are very sweet too. Hopefully they'll be spared the "Texhnolyze treatment", but it wouldn't surprise me either.

Shaded Horizon

Sep 10, 2023 2:17 PM

Sep 2017
Wholesome episode. We get to see more about the world and its properties. It's kind of a nice touch how the city has medieval design yet the shopkeeper had headphones on. Hmm, I think I'm starting to get the euphemism of this anime.
Edit: The discrimination thing was just weird. Why were the Haibane required to only wear second-hand clothing and use some organization-sponsored drafts instead of money?
My guess is that the euphemism is referencing a religious minority.
FatephileSep 10, 2023 2:24 PM
خ
May 11, 12:18 PM
Jul 2022
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccrazy
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

86 by mo_lave »»
Jun 2, 3:15 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jacobpaige - Apr 24, 2008

261 by rasterman7 »»
Mar 22, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

77 by killugxn »»
Mar 10, 12:50 PM

» This is so beautiful.

lFrogs - Nov 16, 2022

22 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:53 PM

Poll: » I don't get the ENDING of this show, and it didn't answer any of the obvious questions the series kept teasing.

Cestlavie_ - Nov 11, 2023

8 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.