Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2015 11:42 AM
Mar 2012
>Madhouse
>light novel adaption

Thankfully I kept my expectations for the Overlord anime adaption at an all-time low. I REALLY LOVED the opening theme, it was amazing. For what I'm seeing from the OP theme, 3 volumes are guaranteed to be adapted, and I hope it will be 3 volumes and no more than that.

Disregarding the horrible kiddy animations inappropriate for a series full of morbid violence, gore, and sexuality and the CG, things looks pretty faithful so far. I'm pretty sure the maturity level will be toned down a lot, but that is to be expected when I first saw visuals of the adaption. For an appetizer before Madhouse adapts One-Punch Man, it's okay. I'm just hoping they don't fuck up later on.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND READING THE LIGHT NOVEL.
Jul 7, 2015 11:42 AM

Mar 2014
Kerozinn said:
damn the animation feels extremely stuttery..like everytime there is motion there i judder. just look at the part before the opening. this bothers me..aside from the milked out setting.
This is not a problem with the anime, this is what you get for watching Funimation garbage.
Jul 7, 2015 11:47 AM

Jul 2013
Kerozinn said:
damn the animation feels extremely stuttery..like everytime there is motion there i judder. just look at the part before the opening. this bothers me..aside from the milked out setting.

You should go watch AT-X ver instead.
Jul 7, 2015 11:51 AM

May 2014
Voltning said:
Albedo is so hot. I'm glad he changed her function xD lmao.
Really like it so far! Another anine where they are trapped in a game. I wonder if it can surpass SAO, or log horizon

Literally any show can surpass SAO.... just saying.
Jul 7, 2015 11:52 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Every season needs an MMO anime huh?

Haven't seen one with a skeleton MC before though :3
Jul 7, 2015 11:58 AM
Jul 2018
This is a lot better than I expected it.

NPCs start to feel emotions.
Jul 7, 2015 12:08 PM

Aug 2010
Loved the art for the ED. Albedo is <3

Why was the FPS like that? It was pretty damn bad.

Momonga's monologue was cut quite a lot at the beginning. Lost quite a bit of impact but oh well. The scenes after that were good and it's cool that they kept as much monologue a they did anyway :P

I like his speaking voice but his monologue voice sounds too childish and looks pretty unfitting to his looks lol XD
Jul 7, 2015 12:17 PM
Mar 2012
Barion-Zara said:
I like his speaking voice but his monologue voice sounds too childish and looks pretty unfitting to his looks lol XD
He does have two different personas: the irl persona and the Momonga/Ainz persona. Usually his inner thoughts are of his irl persona, but when he speaks aloud, he speaks as an authority of the Great Tomb of Nazarick.

The drama CDs also further portray these points.
Jul 7, 2015 12:20 PM

Mar 2014
A great 1st episode and an interesting MC. I guess the MC and gang will be the "bad guys" in their world since they all look rather sinister and demon-ish. The OP was kinda meh but the rock ED was awesome! Definitely looking forward to what Madhouse has in store for us.
Jul 7, 2015 12:20 PM

Jun 2014
Not a bad start, looking forward to the next episode. OP and ED were decent, and the animation wasn't too bad either
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 7, 2015 12:25 PM

Jan 2014
Pretty solid first episode, sucks how it's only 1 cour :S
Jul 7, 2015 12:28 PM
Mar 2014
Not too bad of a start for an RPG anime. That OP is probably the best of the season at the moment.
vegetablespiritJul 7, 2015 2:46 PM
Jul 7, 2015 12:34 PM

Jun 2014
wow, the video quality from funimation was disgusting
:3
Jul 7, 2015 12:40 PM

Apr 2013
not sure what to think yet
Jul 7, 2015 12:43 PM

Apr 2015
So instead of following an overpowered hero, we're following an overpowered villain.

Will keep watching for now.
Jul 7, 2015 12:44 PM

Jul 2010
This was quite enjoyable already. That last minute edit on Albedo's personality, would've loved to see the "bitch" side now xD If it really the opposite of her looks, I cant even begin to imagine.

The guardians presenting themselves and bowing before their liege. Looking forward to seeing more of the new world, and basically the mc's inner thoughts vs his actions.
Jul 7, 2015 12:51 PM

Nov 2014
Ending song is shit
Hi there
Jul 7, 2015 12:51 PM

Sep 2014
That Media Factory and Kadokawa presentations are so shitty for me..
And OP Song is Average one for my ears. ED Is better one.

Strange camera movement.. Momonga has two voices ? One is fitting other is not at all :D

Don't fully understand where this thingy is going.. Won't it be just another Madhouse 'failure'(in sales) ? :/
Jul 7, 2015 12:55 PM

May 2012
I kinda cringed when i saw it was an mmorpg, but it wasnt too bad lol.
the OP and ED were pretty BA lol, i laughed when i heard momogas voice, wasnt expecting it to be so.... tame? and those emoticons and when he hit the table and the 0 hp popped up :p
lol but this seems like it could be pretty interesting, showing some nice potential

also liking albedos altered character so far lol

inb4 people call it a sao ripoff sigh -.-
Jul 7, 2015 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
This felt kind of...underwhelming.
Jul 7, 2015 1:01 PM

Feb 2014
That was pretty cool, really loved this first episode, Madhouse delivers!

Really liking the characters too, Albedo is awesome.
Both the OP/ED are really good to, so awesome!
Jul 7, 2015 1:07 PM
Jul 2015
It was pretty good for a first episode. The OP could've been better, and I do agree there were FPS and animation issues at certain points. MC is an insecure, spooky skeleton. What more could you ask for?
I'm a shitty troll, don't mind me.

Not changing this sig until Gedata-senpai notices me and Death Grips releases Bottomless Pit.
Jul 7, 2015 1:09 PM

Feb 2010
AT-X stream is fine (24 fps pans), so it was funi who fucked up the video. Professionals, yeah.
Jul 7, 2015 1:11 PM
Jul 2010
ehh pretty meh so far
Jul 7, 2015 1:13 PM

Jan 2012
Thought it was pretty nice ~
Also just killed me the butler is called 'Sebas Tian' lol
Jul 7, 2015 1:15 PM
Mar 2013
Bad start for me but since i enjoy Madhouse i'll keep watching
Jul 7, 2015 1:25 PM

May 2012
Lyrisia said:

Also just killed me the butler is called 'Sebas Tian' lol

totally missed that xD
Jul 7, 2015 1:26 PM

Dec 2014
Great first episode. The freedom of the initial RPG has already established a world with a flare of creativity. Reminds me of Log Horizon in the sense the game became reality rather than just stuck in a game.
The idea of the loyalty everyone has towards Momonga is awesome. I love seeing an organization with a "follow you into hell" mentality.
OP was also really cool.
I just hope Madhouse adapts this faithfully.
5/5 for the first episode alone.
Jul 7, 2015 1:29 PM

Jul 2009
This looks like its gonna be interesting! Please don't let down my expectations :)

I'm happy Momonga has a deeper voice when he's commanding tho, his interior thoughts were too whimpy for his look.
Jul 7, 2015 1:31 PM

Dec 2011
I think Madhouse did adapt this one good. They definitely got the atmosphere down. Looks like we will have a normal Satoshi Hino voice when he is thinking... but we get his deep, overlord voice when talking to his loyal subjects.

Albedo. She is incredibly hot, now that I see her in anime form. >.<

Can't wait to see more.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2015 1:40 PM

Apr 2014
Interesting first episode. Looking forward to the rest o the season.
"A king… The king must be greedier than any other. He must laugh louder and rage harder. He must exemplify the extreme of all things, good and evil. That is why his retainers envy and adore him. And why the flames of aspiration, to be as the king is, can burn within his people." - The King of Conquerors
Jul 7, 2015 1:44 PM

Mar 2015
TheHonestThief said:
Great first episode. The freedom of the initial RPG has already established a world with a flare of creativity. Reminds me of Log Horizon in the sense the game became reality rather than just stuck in a game.
The idea of the loyalty everyone has towards Momonga is awesome. I love seeing an organization with a "follow you into hell" mentality.
OP was also really cool.
I just hope Madhouse adapts this faithfully.
5/5 for the first episode alone.

100% agreed especially with the part about creativity.
Jul 7, 2015 1:44 PM

Apr 2015
From the OP it seems like they are planning to end on the Lizardman Arc. (Which btw the light novel is translated) This means that they are trying to fit 4 volumes of stuff into one season.

Link to light novel http://skythewood.blogspot.com/
Jul 7, 2015 1:53 PM

Sep 2013
^ or it's a tease for season 2.

Good start,.
Really looking forward to dmmo rpg
The Albedo ed song was pure <3

ichii_1Jul 7, 2015 6:54 PM
Jul 7, 2015 1:56 PM

Mar 2015
Albedo service :D
Jul 7, 2015 1:58 PM
Nov 2013
Was kind of boring, but I like the NPC's a lot, especially Albeldo. This will most likely get better later on.
Jul 7, 2015 2:03 PM

Jan 2015
Knew nothing about this anime except for what mal put on the site and I was surprised by this episode. Better than I expected. Hope that the next few episodes go a bit darker but off to a good start.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jul 7, 2015 2:29 PM
Feb 2015
It was better than i thought it would be.

I'm looking forward to next episode.
Jul 7, 2015 2:29 PM
Apr 2015
DesuTronic said:
Tokoya said:
And people doubted the best studio in Japan right now lel

I just want to see best girl Albedo

I get that Albedo is in love with Momonga but how would that even work out? Like how does one do it with a skeleton?

laughing so hard right now at the fact that I was thinking the same thing
Jul 7, 2015 2:34 PM
Jan 2015
At first I thought it was SAO all over again but now I've take quite a liking to it.
Jul 7, 2015 2:35 PM

Jul 2012
It was a lot better than I expected. Really cool the skeleton and demons :D Looking forward to see more.
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Jul 7, 2015 2:35 PM
Aug 2011
PNDRetro said:
DesuTronic said:

I get that Albedo is in love with Momonga but how would that even work out? Like how does one do it with a skeleton?

She obviously wants him to bone her.
Jul 7, 2015 2:37 PM

Aug 2014
I'd rather not..
Jul 7, 2015 2:41 PM
Mar 2012
People who did read the ln but only the translated versions. The Opening showed scenes from vol 4 and one from vol 5. So its probably teaser to a second season.
Jul 7, 2015 2:41 PM

Sep 2014
HeroKenzan said:
Yeoun said:
nice another anime about RPG's = 1/10

B-but it's so much more than just that.It's about surviving,living in a different world with strangers and establishing an own society.There is also lots of focus on the characters psychology(just look at his deep monologues) and even the side characters aren't only there for wish fullfillment or fan service.The mc touching the girls boobs is accurate since this is a bildungsroman and the contact to the other gender is important for character development,or do you think a gamer like him has a gf?And even though the mc is in a crowd he's still somewhat isolated,kinda like we ourselves in the real world.Maybe a direct reference to Ernest Hemmingways famous quote?
Also,the mc being a "skeleton" is a subtle critic to the otaku culture.
So stop with the sheep hate,just because you look at it shallowly doesn't mean it is.
Overlord is also done by the BEST STUDIO in the universe so it's instantly 10/10.Madhouse 'nuff said.

[size=23]another garbage-tier show,thank you modern Madhouse.

This is pure comedy, thanks mate! :D

Anyways, I think the animation/production values were fine. I didn't like the rest at all but I heared it will be really good past the first half of the first LN vol. We'll see.
Jul 7, 2015 2:54 PM

Dec 2012
KyerWiz said:
PNDRetro said:

She obviously wants him to bone her.

I was thinking it too like how would that work XD is their something hidden under his robe that's not bony.
Jul 7, 2015 2:58 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Barion-Zara said:
Tokoya said:
And people doubted the best studio in Japan right now lel

Best studio in Japan unfortunately doesn't have a decent LN adaption record. Look at Mahou Sensou, Kaminai and Mahouka (last two weren't bad but as adaptions they were quite lacking). Only good LN by MH was NGNL. It all comes to how good this director is at his job :P
Mahouka is too exposition heavy and if MH couldn't do it then no one can tbh but yeah the other ones weren't that well

I was at work all day so now for my thoughts

Art and animation was pretty good even though it's not as unique as the.LN and quite frankly I loved it regardless

Loved the voice acting for Albedo and Momonga and their little sexy time lol.....It should be impossible for them to bang but man wouldn't I love to see them do it somehow lol xD

The characters all seems promising and I liked the introductions of them all so that was a plus for me.....Fight scenes were good too

OP and ED were good but I fucking LOVEEEEEE THE ED.....Best ED of the season for me imo
Jul 7, 2015 3:01 PM

Dec 2013
That was mediocre..Madhouse pls. I'll check out one more ep before deciding to drop it.
Jul 7, 2015 3:11 PM
Dec 2012
I thought it was OK. Not much was revealed this episode aside from being trapped and having NPCs pledge allegiance. It definitely feels Log Horizon-esque as a first impression.

I'll wait for another episode to see the rest of the world but from the onset it doesn't seem detailed to me and doesn't really stand out. The characters didn't seem that interesting to me as well aside from the MC, Albedo and Shalltear. So I guess it'll have to be good story wise to keep me interested.

MC being an undead avatar is interesting though. Would like to see some Human characters to see if there is some rift between the factions. This guy can't be evil right? He doesn't seem that way to me.

On another note. Did anyone notice the stuttering when the camera panned? I hope it wasn't only me. Thought it was having some fps slowdowns or that it wasn't encoded well. Could be a one-off thing. Hopefully the quality of the show is upped next episode.
sosmetalJul 7, 2015 3:16 PM
Jul 7, 2015 3:14 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The character designs for those two elves and the jarring FFS really bugged me. Otherwise, it was a pretty decent start. Momonga's speaking voice is badass, unlike when he's monologuing.

Madhouse will probably mess up the adaptation soon enough, so keeping my expectations low. It looks enjoyable so far though.

Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2015

240 by Gooliver »»
May 5, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

432 by RayousSR »»
Apr 24, 4:55 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2015

283 by RayousSR »»
Apr 23, 12:28 PM

» Why do people compare this show to SAO? ( 1 2 )

arc1only - Jan 8

58 by Reevansingh21 »»
Mar 31, 3:47 PM

» Why is shalltear stronger than Ainz??

SkyVongolaPrimo - Oct 20, 2015

16 by janreycampo »»
Mar 27, 10:22 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.