Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 22, 2014 10:37 AM

Sep 2007
I love the music in the film. It's very Amelie-esque.

Oct 22, 2014 11:52 AM

Jun 2012
that was sooooo cute i enjoyed watching this heart warming love story ^^
Oct 22, 2014 5:52 PM

Jul 2011
Oh, hey Mochizou was less moe this time around. I absolutely love the last scene, where Mochizou covered his mouth, waaaay too cute. >////<
I think the way they portrayed his character is more serious in this movie, and I really like that added dimension.

I liked the movie, though there are some things that could have improved. And it felt kind of stalled.
I did like that it attempted some character development, because Tamako Market has a great, lovable cast. I love the families, the friends and the market people. :)

Overall, it was sweet, innocent and pretty cute. Though the open ending left things to be desired.
Oct 22, 2014 10:44 PM

Aug 2011
That was fucking adorable, although the subtitles was google translate.
DAT END THO OH MAH GAWWWWSWWWWWWWDDDDDDDDDD

DHUDHEUREHDHSINSLAPQOQMSNBXDJAPQKSBDISKS

BLAAATGHHHHHHBBHHHGGGGH MY FEEEEELINGS HAVE BEEN TOYED WITH
Oct 23, 2014 5:09 AM

Sep 2008
This was so cute!
Both confession were so well done! *.*

Love KyoAni!
Their movies always give me so many warm feelings!

Such cute movie!
I want more <3
Oct 23, 2014 5:51 AM

Sep 2009
really nice movie <3 5/5
it is rare nowadays to find a romantic anime with pure hearted characters instead of these "oh my gosh I accidentally groped your boobs"-characters.

Oct 23, 2014 8:31 AM

Nov 2010
That was great.

but i wish it was a little longer ... love happened and then .. nothing ... kinda wanted to see more.

8/10
Oct 24, 2014 7:16 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
As a somewhat indirect continuation straight off Tamako Market, this film is exactly the innocent and whimsical shipping between Tamako and Mochizou that we all entertained the possibility of during the TV run, but held no expectations to. For me, it's hard to describe the feeling of having those thoughts of just early last year realised and delivered in such a full fledged manner.

To sum it up, several things stand out here. Firstly, I noticed how Dera, Choi, etc. were basically put to the side for this film which is an interesting choice to say the least considering their prominence in the TV series but I'm going to go and say that their presence wasn't missed overall. Secondly, as expected of KyoAni, nothing changes with their animation, cinematography and art which are all set at their impressive standard with no compromise. Finally, the plot is simple, a straight forward and maybe uninspired story on the surface that gets the idea across. However ideas are deeper than they initially appear, so in that regard I agree that the direction was not half-assed.

It is an incredibly cute tale, and rather than to try and predict the twists, taking each moment by moment as it is is wholly enjoyable in its own right. Looking back on the characterisations of the cast, I have to say coming from the TV series they're well established from the get go and consistent, and as someone has said before me, Midori has a particularly interesting role in the film, her feelings and reasoning being one of the more subtle ideas conveyed.

Well, I think I've said enough. I still don't think I'd recommend anyone to Tamako Market but this is a satisfying sequel and conclusion to the franchise that forgoes mind explosions, dramatic twists and tragic drama for something innocent to its roots that ultimately pays off as a tale that makes you smile as you watch the pair flusteredly strike off a romantic chord with each other and while stumbling, complete their love story.

9/10
Oct 24, 2014 2:43 PM

Sep 2009
OMG *teary eyes* this is the one of the BEST love story ever that i have ever seen.. I've never seen anime movie like this for a long time. it's so SATISFYING.. I wanna cry. Tears of happiness.. damn this >_< I cant contain this feeling at all. thank you for this movie :(((

I was smiling the whole time. it reminds me so much of my childhood days XD I can relate to Tamako's been feeling the whole time.. those reactions.. omg. EVERYTHING.

I am so grateful for the whole stuffs who created this anime.
Oct 24, 2014 3:05 PM

Oct 2009
That ending made me incredibly happy. I just wish there was more to it. A lot better than Tamako Market at least.
Oct 24, 2014 5:24 PM

Oct 2010
Finally some good subs are out, I like the movie, feels everywhere. Too bad no kissu-scene. Kyoani pls
Oct 24, 2014 6:27 PM
Aug 2011
I want to top off my Tamako experiance... does anyone know where to find the Tamako love story novel??? :)
Oct 24, 2014 7:43 PM

Sep 2013
Hyack said:
Finally some good subs are out, I like the movie, feels everywhere. Too bad no kissu-scene. Kyoani pls

KyoAni doesn't know what kissing means.
Oct 24, 2014 8:05 PM

Oct 2011
[spoiler]
Oct 24, 2014 8:31 PM

Sep 2012
So did Mochizou miss his entrance exams?

Does he end up not going to Tokyo?

Do they form a long distance relationship?

Does she go to Tokyo with him?

Argggg why did they have to end on the climax with literally no resolution?

That being said, this was a relaxing pleasure to watch, just like the TV series. Nothing particularly special or noteworthy, yet charming and enjoyable all the same. Visuals were excellent, music was excellent. Story ended in somewhat of a letdown, but the rest was nice.

8/10
Oct 25, 2014 12:37 AM

Jan 2011
This was...actually quite good when you look at the main series kinda makes you wonder what went wrong there easy answer is dera, but still glad i took the time to watch this! just about a 8/10

guess i could be mad about no kiss but i already went in knowing it wouldn't happen lol

and someone build Kanna a house damnit!
Oct 25, 2014 12:58 AM

Feb 2010
Disappointing. It lacked the charm of the series while retaining all of its awkwardness. Some reviewers liken this film to Whisper of the Heart and I disagree. It's nowhere as mature.
Oct 25, 2014 1:42 AM

May 2010
Tamako was too funny and cuteness overload after Mochizou confessed! Laughed every time she said Mochizou when she was supposed to say mochi xD

GohanwaOkazu-sama, you legend!
Not sure your analysis is all your insight or the result of discussion elsewhere, but in any case, it was much appreciated! (^_^)

Katajikenee m( _ _ )m

This movie required a lot of reading between the lines to fully understand the story it was trying to tell so many viewers would've have been "out of the loop".

I feel the the ending would've been more fulfilling if it offered something more concrete instead of all the metaphors and implied meaning.
Oct 25, 2014 2:12 AM

Oct 2013
Very touching. I'm glad that at least we have Tamako confessing her love and not ended up like all other ambiguous romance anime that bored me. Mochizou deserved so much love. It's good to see the parents watching them from the side and giving them the push when needed. Love this series and movie.

Seriously, this couple doesn't need a kiss to show their love for each other.
Oct 25, 2014 7:57 AM

May 2010
heiqi1hu said:
Seriously, this couple doesn't need a kiss to show their love for each other.

Exactly. Besides, I just don't see Tamako and Mochizou having a smooth first-kiss. It just ain't happening.

I preferred the ending as it was and even if I complained a bit with how I wanted more, it was a more of very positive complaint.
Oct 25, 2014 6:44 PM

Jul 2009
pretty good. i like how it depicted the young struggles of teenage love -- not knowing how to reply, not knowing what to do. i think midori liked mochizou. so there was possibly a love triangle going on. a lot of really nice scenes. it reminded me that tamoko is actually almost 18. for some reason i thought she was a middle school girl all this time. mustve been the derpiness lol. overall, 8/10. i like how they had midori as the 3rd wheel. i love these kind of chars.
Oct 26, 2014 1:59 AM
Jan 2012
Some people might have missed some details out the movie and the series.

1) Mochizou was only going to Tokyo for a preview. Midori hyped it up as if he was leaving for Tokyo for good for the sake of Tamako.
2) There are moments when viewers are made to question whether it was just rivalry (enmity) that Midori felt towards Mochizou in the course of the series and the film. You'd have to watch the series and the movie to know that she doesn't just have harsh feelings towards Mochizou.
3) Tamako is a character almost wrapped in a hard shell in the series. She had been helping her family business ever since her mother passed away, and if you watch the series closely, she is trying to act like her mother towards Anko (particularly when Anko is sulky). She denies any approaches by Mochizou unconsciously and rejects becoming a princess consciously for the love of her family, family business, and the market arcade in the series. She is tough as Robocop. Now in the movie, she's peeled-off/stripped off (たまこ、むけました). What makes a girl like Tamako change ? Has Tamako as character drastically changed from the series? No, not at all.

Watch the confession scene again. Tamako talks about titty mochi while talking to a boy of her age (Mochizou almost gives up on confession, hindered by her infancy). She then talks about mochi, or in reality, memory of mother, being white, soft, warm, that she's grown much larger but still aspiring to become like her mother (Mochizou decides to confess, knowing her past hardship and from true compassion, grabs her arm). Tamako lets go the titty-mochi stone, the symbolism of infancy.

GohanwaOkazuOct 26, 2014 2:02 AM
Oct 26, 2014 4:18 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
GohanwaOkazu said:

Tamako lets go the titty-mochi stone, the symbolism of infancy.

What the heck that's deep man. another thing that didn't occur at all to me lol I have to hand it to you, there's great analysis here.
Oct 26, 2014 9:47 AM
Jan 2012
When Anko and Tamako goes to the public bath, people would have noticed that Anko is depicted as more mature/erotic in contrast to childish-unerotic Tamako. Tamako's childish attitude to the idea of titty mochi/buttocks mochi is actually an unconscious revelation of her admiration of mother/motherhood. But at the river stepping stone scene, while she talks to Mochizou about mochi/motherhood, one should recognize (perhaps after a second watch) that a wind is blowing (Choi would call that "Hinako's Wind").

It’s Hinako's memory after all that bound Mochizou and Tamako together, and after letting go the titty mochi stone, she will slowly grow conscious about being loved as woman and becoming a mother (like that scene when Tamako invites Anko to wear the junior high's uniform).

There are some moments in the series we were rather left puzzled why Tamako acts in a distinct way; in the movie it's revealed that it was how Hinako originally responded to Tamako, and now Tamako is replicating it to Anko (who barely remembers Hinako).

People can rewatch again. Tamako isn't just a mochi freak; well she is, but it's really her longing admiration for motherhood which is the driving force. The Movie does have a simple storyline, but the story is rather complex, as the story of Tamako's deceased mother is closely intertwined between the bond of Tamako and Mochizou.
GohanwaOkazuOct 26, 2014 10:04 AM
Oct 26, 2014 2:34 PM

Sep 2007
GohanwaOkazu said:
Some people might have missed some details out the movie and the series.

1) Mochizou was only going to Tokyo for a preview. Midori hyped it up as if he was leaving for Tokyo for good for the sake of Tamako.
2) There are moments when viewers are made to question whether it was just rivalry (enmity) that Midori felt towards Mochizou in the course of the series and the film. You'd have to watch the series and the movie to know that she doesn't just have harsh feelings towards Mochizou.
3) Tamako is a character almost wrapped in a hard shell in the series. She had been helping her family business ever since her mother passed away, and if you watch the series closely, she is trying to act like her mother towards Anko (particularly when Anko is sulky). She denies any approaches by Mochizou unconsciously and rejects becoming a princess consciously for the love of her family, family business, and the market arcade in the series. She is tough as Robocop. Now in the movie, she's peeled-off/stripped off (たまこ、むけました). What makes a girl like Tamako change ? Has Tamako as character drastically changed from the series? No, not at all.

Watch the confession scene again. Tamako talks about titty mochi while talking to a boy of her age (Mochizou almost gives up on confession, hindered by her infancy). She then talks about mochi, or in reality, memory of mother, being white, soft, warm, that she's grown much larger but still aspiring to become like her mother (Mochizou decides to confess, knowing her past hardship and from true compassion, grabs her arm). Tamako lets go the titty-mochi stone, the symbolism of infancy.

Seriously man, did you write the script or have a degree in philosophy! Deep and making me appreciate the movie more and more ...

Oct 26, 2014 3:30 PM
Apr 2014
That's some interesting analysis right there. I wonder how much of this comes from actual scriptwriting and how much is just coincidence.
I still think that Tamako's transition from a childish and careless attitude to a more mature one was a little too sudden. And while the series and the movie are nicely linked, they're still really different from each other, like night and day. It's not necessarily a bad thing, I appreciated both of them in different ways.
Oct 26, 2014 7:07 PM

Aug 2012
I loved the fact that the movie ends with " I love you Mochizou, Dozo "

Is KyoAni implying that there's gonna be a sequel after this ? Hopefully, so
Oct 27, 2014 12:28 AM

Jul 2012
Acropyre said:

I hope not. A season and a movie was enough, and it ended off well. Having some kind of epilogue special in the future wouldn't be bad, but a second season would be completely unnecessary in my opinion

also midori best girl
Oct 27, 2014 4:11 AM

Feb 2010
credits lead-in too amazing
Oct 27, 2014 8:02 PM

Sep 2011
Watched to see Kanna stuffs.

I did NOT get disappointed.

Thank you, KyoAni.

Oct 27, 2014 8:52 PM

Jul 2012
They should have just made this movie without the TV series. So, I really liked this movie but it was slow. Half of it was Tamako being conflicted with the confession and that's why I think they shouldn't have even made a TV series because there was enough space to put the important details into the movie instead and made it even better. I also liked that there was a connection between Tamako's parents' love story and hers with Mochizou.

One thing could have been done better is Tamako's growing feelings for Mochizou. She was conflicted, yeah but then she suddenly loves him. Felt a bit rushed. At least make her admire him before he confessed so she could have a more gradual development. I'm a bit nit picky on romance hah hah

Anyway...Mochizou is such a cutie. Why can't boys be like that in real life? So innocent and adorable. I'm so glad that Free! (and Hyouka I guess) isn't the only KyoAni show with cute boys.

But anyway...That was a nice movie. I don't know how to rate it because it's like in between a 6 and 7 and I'm leaning on the latter because it was so damn cute.
MayukaOct 27, 2014 8:55 PM
Oct 28, 2014 2:34 PM

Aug 2014
Hikigaya said:
Acropyre said:

I hope not. A season and a movie was enough, and it ended off well. Having some kind of epilogue special in the future wouldn't be bad, but a second season would be completely unnecessary in my opinion

also midori best girl

Midori should have ended with Mochi. That would have been a great plot twist.
Oct 28, 2014 7:39 PM

Dec 2012
Sasuga KyoAni, Great movie. Loved it.
Oct 29, 2014 4:50 AM
Jan 2012
thelumpur said:
That's some interesting analysis right there. I wonder how much of this comes from actual scriptwriting and how much is just coincidence.
I still think that Tamako's transition from a childish and careless attitude to a more mature one was a little too sudden. And while the series and the movie are nicely linked, they're still really different from each other, like night and day. It's not necessarily a bad thing, I appreciated both of them in different ways.

I understand what you mean, but these are not something of coincidence but careful movie-making. They've gone through some serious brain-storming to make the film successful.

The more focus on the story of family/mother and the use of cups was Director Naoko Yamada's idea, and the Scriptwriter Reiko Yoshida and Director went over how to present Midori's "Exit" properly. The many versions of parts of film were shown with the Producer Senami for final approval. The final scene and the matching music was a result of long relays on how the movie should end, between the sound creator Kataoka (Manual of Errors) and the Director. The storyboard was entirely drawn by the Director alone but Tamako was not drawn in until the last moments, as she suffered from creative barriers (she even went into the waterfalls in the mountains alone for aesthetic training while making the film).
Even the ending was quite different with the initial idea having Principle first then the father's song next, but changed by the Director's single verdict.

You may also listen to the Audio Commentary by the staffs on the officially sold discs.

All this I know from the published interviews and essays related to the movie in Japanese. I am fond of Kyoto Animation and Director Yamada, Chief Animator Horiguchi, and the scriptwriter Yoshida, but I am not any stalker. I just happened to read them in Japanese.
GohanwaOkazuOct 29, 2014 5:00 AM
Oct 29, 2014 2:03 PM

Jan 2013
I adore this kind of romance stories, but I would have preferred them saying explicitly whether Mochizou is going to stay or goes to Tokyo anyway. I would have preferred if he stayed.
Oct 29, 2014 6:00 PM

Oct 2012
I loved this. Even better than "Tamako Market". That Dera's Mochi make me lol. After confession, Tamako started to called mochi into Mochizou. All of them was cute. Kanna serious bur silly speaking tone cutie. I would expect less from KyoAni! Best!

Midori is annoying, but...i love she's have development, even she's have "..." feeling toward Tamako, and realize that Tamako was in love with Mochizou, she's not mad..she's cheer Tamako up and told her to give him reply. I think it was the best for Mochizou to study in Tokyo, and frequently contact Tamako. And did you guys realize this silhouette at ending credits...

Cute Romance Stories...i give Tamako Love Story:

9/10 xD
Oct 30, 2014 10:45 PM

Dec 2011
Tamako spending half of the movie thinking on what to do was kinda annoying to me but that confession at the end was fucking adorable.

"Next, please build me a house"
Kanna didn't disappoint.
BunnerzOct 30, 2014 10:49 PM
Oct 31, 2014 2:56 AM
Jan 2012
When Kanna grabs Tamako's mobile phone, she types in "家建てて” (Build my house) with heart marks surrounding the line. As Kanna is an aspiring carpenter, the best proposal to her should be "build a house for me", or perhaps "let's build a house together". Perhaps Mochizou would stop making movies or mochi and becomes a carpenter just for the sake of Tamako if Kanna had sent that message.

But then if Mochizou's a kind of guy who easily gives up on his dream he wouldn't be attractive. Of course Mochizou would eventually go to Tokyo and Tamako would come once in a while with Anko as bodyguard, become a bit jealous with Mochizou's female colleagues in Tokyo, checks whether he hides nothing etchi under the bed, I can imagine that. Tokyo is just 2 hours 15 min away by train from Kyoto, so it ain't that far.

In any case, that sort of comic but quite realistic slice of life scene with girls doing silly things while trying to make a confession to a boy could only be properly shown by a female director, I think. I can't imagine Shimbo or Mizushima or Ishihara showing that sort of scene.
GohanwaOkazuOct 31, 2014 3:07 AM
Oct 31, 2014 10:30 AM
Apr 2014
GohanwaOkazu said:

I understand what you mean, but these are not something of coincidence but careful movie-making. They've gone through some serious brain-storming to make the film successful.

The more focus on the story of family/mother and the use of cups was Director Naoko Yamada's idea, and the Scriptwriter Reiko Yoshida and Director went over how to present Midori's "Exit" properly. The many versions of parts of film were shown with the Producer Senami for final approval. The final scene and the matching music was a result of long relays on how the movie should end, between the sound creator Kataoka (Manual of Errors) and the Director. The storyboard was entirely drawn by the Director alone but Tamako was not drawn in until the last moments, as she suffered from creative barriers (she even went into the waterfalls in the mountains alone for aesthetic training while making the film).
Even the ending was quite different with the initial idea having Principle first then the father's song next, but changed by the Director's single verdict.

You may also listen to the Audio Commentary by the staffs on the officially sold discs.

All this I know from the published interviews and essays related to the movie in Japanese. I am fond of Kyoto Animation and Director Yamada, Chief Animator Horiguchi, and the scriptwriter Yoshida, but I am not any stalker. I just happened to read them in Japanese.

Thanks for the informations! It's nice to know they put a lot of efforts in this movie.

Also, gotta love that Tamako was actually going to ask Mochizou to build her a house out of nervousness; he escaped the weirdest response ever
Oct 31, 2014 6:19 PM

May 2012
TAMAKOOO!! Shit!! THAT ending....ugh!! My feels, man!! My feeellls!! -clutches chest- I lovvveee iitt!! <33
""You think you're special? You're not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things...
Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest."
- Izaya

Nov 1, 2014 3:20 AM

Mar 2011
y123y said:

Midori should have ended with Mochi. That would have been a great plot twist.

no

great movie, I kinda feel bad for Midori but it was great to see how she's willing to give up her feelings for Tamako's and Mochizou's happiness. 8/10. Also possibly Midori x Kanna towards the end? that'd be wonderful.
Nov 1, 2014 6:41 PM

Nov 2012
Sweet movie,liked it better than the tv series 6/10.

Romance aspect of this cute/okayish.

Liked the ending with Tamako singing the song her dad sung to her mom.
Nov 1, 2014 8:07 PM

Aug 2012
http://i.imgur.com/xUg5x8e.jpg
Dat confession. The movie was better than the whole series, it should've been like that.

9/10
Nov 4, 2014 2:45 PM

Jan 2013
The movie was better than the series by a lot, but by no means did I dislike the series. It was just a different kind of experience. I ended up really enjoying Dera's antics by the end.
Nov 4, 2014 4:47 PM

Jun 2008
I remember how dissapointed i was when their love didn't progress in the tv series.
So Kyoani, thank you so much <3
Nov 4, 2014 7:32 PM

May 2012
shit what a great movie.. Regret that I later2x this one..
Really worth it, Tamako is so cute..

Nov 5, 2014 6:17 PM

Sep 2009
I finished the Tamako Market anime series today, and I was severely disappointed. It had some high points, but I felt like it made everything that happened feel insignificant. I went into this movie predicting that it would be just as underwhelming.

Thankfully, I was wrong. I loved how it portrayed the turmoil within each character.

Also... That confession and ending was heartwarming. Loved it.
Nov 6, 2014 6:46 AM

May 2011
expecting to see more dera,kinda disappointed he got less screentime :(

but the ending finally gives a nice conclusion to the series,good to see that
so,Tamako ~After Story~ next?
wouldnt mind though,but want more dera! :p
Nov 7, 2014 8:09 AM

Jun 2010
I'm surprised to see such a positive reaction to the movie since it really wasn't anything spectacular. However even so it far surpasses the original trainwreck of a show, that was one of the few times I finished watching a series and I felt like the writers owed me money or something for wasting my time with that crap. Overall even though the movie wasn't terrible, I felt like Tamako Market is just such a poor choice for adaptation when it could've gone towards something else.
Nov 7, 2014 9:33 PM

Oct 2012
Lol.. Dera shaped Mochi
Oh Choi xD

"Tama-chan!" "Tama-chan!" "Mido-chan!"
Her voice just... xD

Awwwww...
The ending
At least there's a big progress between them
I just want to see Tama's reaction when she know that Mocchi just go to Tokyo for a bit
Well robo-Tama? xD
Rayl1ghtNov 7, 2014 9:39 PM
"Signature removed"
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Can i watch it without watching tamako market?

ogseyo - Dec 7, 2021

26 by ANormalUser »»
Apr 11, 6:35 PM

» New Project Announced

_MushiRock11_ - Jan 8, 2023

14 by Assassin2112 »»
Mar 23, 9:12 PM

» 2021! Tamako after story?

yesvirgi - Jan 14, 2021

7 by KitsuFrost »»
Aug 30, 2022 6:09 AM

» tamako love story ending

briannaxlee - Jun 28, 2015

22 by KitsuFrost »»
Aug 28, 2022 9:09 PM

» Can I watch this without watching the TV series?

bunny1ov3r - Nov 2, 2014

12 by Egoist_Animehead »»
Oct 4, 2020 1:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.