Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 23, 2009 7:58 AM

Jul 2007
iamjoe said:
randomness2376 said:

Although, the fact that there are so many lesbians in two seemingly ordinary girls school does kinda bug me, cos it doesn't feel realistic. I know i shouldn't complain about realism in animes but cant help it in this case~
Otherwise, the story seems to be progressing nicely

Are there some special sort of lesbian girls' schools in real life to which you make such a comparison? Face it: there are lesbians in all schools, everywhere.

And whaddya mean so many lesbians? Fumi's the only lesbian in the anime. I see a lot of bisexuals though, (I mean that cousin chick, she was just experimenting, so I don't even think she's bi, just horny and bored), that and from what I read on sites about the other characters:

Anyway, how is a small handful of girls who like girls an overwhelming amount?

I went to a run of the mill, every day, normal, boring public co-ed high school school and I had at least 1 lesbian friend and five bisexual female friends all in the same year as I was in (that's not even including the poofs and bisexual guys either). That's also not even including all the gay girls who went to private schools who I also knew.

Now look at that, 6 girls who liked girls in real life versus Aoi Hana's fictional 3. Wow, how unrealistic of Aoi Hana! If it has done something unrealistic, then it would be underepresenting the actual numbers of gay girls in real life, especially in all girls' schools.

It seems you don't know any gay people, because as far as school life is concerned, it isn't uncommon.

I gotta know... do you think it's fabulous?
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jul 23, 2009 8:41 AM
Jul 2009
iamjoe said:

I've read up to the latest raw available (chapter 28) and I can assure you that's just not true (at all). They have seen each other just a few times really, and there have never been any hints that she may feel that way about him. People just fantasize about this because they see her as the "straight friend", but that's also a misconception. She has never been interested in romance (she states this herself), so we don't know whether she likes guys, girls, or both.

Things begin to change in chapter 25 though, so probably you should read the manga yourself instead of going by what others say about it.

I do agree with you that at this point in the story (going by anime) the only lesbian is Fumi. In the manga though, things are already different.
1idd0kunJul 23, 2009 11:04 AM
Jul 24, 2009 5:05 AM
Oct 2008
1idd0kun said:
iamjoe said:

I've read up to the latest raw available (chapter 28) and I can assure you that's just not true (at all). They have seen each other just a few times really, and there have never been any hints that she may feel that way about him. People just fantasize about this because they see her as the "straight friend", but that's also a misconception. She has never been interested in romance (she states this herself), so we don't know whether she likes guys, girls, or both.

Things begin to change in chapter 25 though, so probably you should read the manga yourself instead of going by what others say about it.

I do agree with you that at this point in the story (going by anime) the only lesbian is Fumi. In the manga though, things are already different.

Do you people know what the fuck a spoiler tag is?

Or does a "This is an anime only discussion, do not discuss the manga beyond this point." message not make sense to you?

Read my post. Did I mention anything OUTSIDE OF THE SPOILER TAG that related to later chapters? No. Only what has transpired thus far.

I am not reading the manga--I am going with what I am observing in the anime and what I know of the first volume of this series, which is what I can only surmise that this entire anime series will feature.

Just so you know, I didn't bother reading anything beyond "I am spoiling up to the last available raw (chapter 28) so your entire counter-rant has just fizzled into nothing.

There's a tutorial here on MAL about using spoiler tags, go look for it.
Jul 24, 2009 5:10 AM
Oct 2008
Splitter said:
I gotta know... do you think it's fabulous?

Fabulous enough for me to troll moar.

I haven't been this excited about an anime since Junjou Romantica. Except this series is turning out to be less fagtastic but curiously also less fail. Let's hope for the best.

I just marvel at the largely unfabulous fanbase this series seems to have gathered: people who are yuri fanatics and are slashing every character with the other and there's the other end of the sparkly rainbow (not as sparkly as mine though) where there are yuri haters who are saying, "WTF they're gay??? But I'll keep watching it even though I hate yuri." Which makes no sense to me.

Whatever.
Jul 24, 2009 9:54 AM
Jul 2009
iamjoe said:
Do you people know what the fuck a spoiler tag is?

Don't be an ass. I didn't mention any name, so other people can't possibly know who I was talking about unless they look what you wrote first (which is under spoiler tags).

And please, don't tell me "But you're spoiling me" because this was something you thought you already knew. I just was correcting those facts for you.
1idd0kunJul 24, 2009 11:38 AM
Jul 26, 2009 12:19 AM

Feb 2009
I really enjoy the art of this anime. J.C Staff rules.

Jul 28, 2009 4:14 AM

May 2008
argh glad they hide that scene was kinda freaky for me

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jul 30, 2009 6:57 AM

Oct 2008
greenmush said:
argh glad they hide that scene was kinda freaky for me

As I suspected: a 15 year old boy.

Nothing is wrong with girls kissing mate... they do it more than you think.

Excellent episode, yet again. I think some people are not aware that this anime also has the K-ON! passage of time: weeks are flying by but we're not seeing it. I think it's a smart move though, since showing us day to day development would simply be tedious. So the time skips are nice. I think a lot of people think that Fumi and Sugimoto just began dating, but if you pay attention to the events happening around them, a lot of days have passed in between their first meeting, their trip to Fujigaya and their first date and then their first kiss.

The drama festival I think serves as an "internal clock" for the series, so we can get an idea of how far things are going. When the anime just started, the club was taking in new members. By episode two and three, they are getting the script together and working on getting cast members.

Episode 04 onwards:

I doubt that a drama festival put on by the elementary, middle and high schools would take like two weeks to put together, so I say, roughly, that a couple of months have already passed since Fumi and Akira first met on that train for their first day at school.

So if you think about it, chronologically, Fumi and Yasuko are moving at a pretty normal pace for two people in a relationship. It hasn't been, "Okay, I know you for three days--let's make out now."

@iamjoe:

Make love, not war.
I'm with stupid.
Aug 15, 2009 3:40 PM

Apr 2009
randomness2376 said:

Although, the fact that there are so many lesbians in two seemingly ordinary girls school does kinda bug me, cos it doesn't feel realistic. I know i shouldn't complain about realism in animes but cant help it in this case~

I have to agree. I mean, there are a lot of bis/homos IRL but in this anime it seems like hetero does not exist. It seems unrealistic that it goes so smoothly with the love etc. I hope you understand what I mean XD
I thought and wanted it to be more drama and not this easy loveydovey. But good for them :) (but not everyone)
Aug 16, 2009 4:02 AM
Jun 2008
KeroroGunsou said:
randomness2376 said:

I have to agree. I mean, there are a lot of bis/homos IRL but in this anime it seems like hetero does not exist. It seems unrealistic that it goes so smoothly with the love etc. I hope you understand what I mean XD
I thought and wanted it to be more drama and not this easy loveydovey. But good for them :) (but not everyone)

I don't think gay people would appreciate you calling them homos. It's quite in the same vein as you watching The Lord of the Dance and going, "Those micks sure can dance!" You mightn't have meant it in an offensive way, but the sting of the word is still there.

And heterosexuality DOES exist in this anime, what are you talking about? All the parents are straight. Kyouko's cousin is straight. Pon-chan, Yassan and Mogi aren't interested in girls, and neither is Akira. Later on, you see that

Plus, if they ever decide to animated the rest of the manga, het relationships kick it up much, much more. But this isn't a story about those people--it's a story about a lesbian teenager. If we're seeing this from her viewpoint, wtf are we even seeing heterosexual couples for? Those aren't important to her life nor do they matter to her.

So I don't know why everyone is saying it's unrealistic when the anime is only focussing on ONE lesbian character and her attraction to ONE other girl. And ONE remaining girl who has a crush on another girl.

That's, lemme count it, three characters who even show inclination to women (unless you want to count Chizu, who is not gay).

I find it so funny that if this were a straight romance, there'd be ten times the number of straight couples/crushes/loves and yet nobody would stop and say, "This is unrealistic! Society has gay people too! There should be at least one gay couple!"

This anime just centralises its attention to the homosexual pairings in the series. And I should say, homosexual PAIRING. Since there's only one.

And trust me, it's probably because you're still young, but there are lots and lots and lots of people in same-sex relations and relationships. You just don't know it. I know lots of bisexual people, and it's not even through actively seeking them out. It just so happened a lot of the friends I made over the years were bisexual or approved/accepted homosexuality. Like people and like minds tend to find one another even if they're not looking. So having the gay people in Aoi Hana gravitate to one another isn't shocking--it's pretty normal. I don't even know how it happens but it does, especially in real life.
Aug 18, 2009 10:52 AM

Aug 2008
Chapel = symbol for something? Anyone with me on this?

I absolutely love that the seemingly secondary characters are being used more. I love anime with lots of characters. And of course in the last discussion I mentioned wanting to see more males to make it seem more realistic, and here they come! lol.

A-chan's brother is a creeper.

Yasuko is my favorite so far. I hope she breaks a lot of hearts. I want her to be mean for some reason.

In a weird way, not seeing their first kiss made it more intense to me.
Aug 26, 2009 9:24 PM

Aug 2006
I love how Japan makes lesbians look ok if there is a refined attitude around it. Simply fantastic kiss at the end.

Sep 23, 2009 12:06 PM

Aug 2008
I liked that they didn't show the kiss :)

Apr 7, 2010 11:45 PM

Aug 2007
Velcor said:
I love how Japan makes lesbians look ok if there is a refined attitude around it. Simply fantastic kiss at the end.

lol, why? is it not okay if there isn't a refined attitude about it? :P

btw i like how the OP cuts into the opening scene, very atmospheric :)
May 15, 2010 10:15 AM

Jan 2010
aaaw, i wanted to see that kiss too D:
Jul 5, 2010 1:53 PM

Aug 2009
Watched episodes 1-3 in a row. Time really flew by.

I loved these episodes. They're slow, but in a good way.
Well, not really THAT slow. The sudden confession was ''Wut?'' and dat kiss was a little bit too fast in my opinion.

But still, episodes 1-3 = 5/5.
Dec 24, 2010 4:00 PM

Apr 2010
Nice episode, I was hoping to see that kiss.

Mar 27, 2011 8:14 PM

Mar 2009
So they kissed at the end.. pretty fast development of their relationship, in my opinion.
Mar 6, 2012 1:58 PM

Feb 2012
I love how Fumi admits that she was not emotionally prepared for that... xD
May 19, 2012 6:55 PM

Nov 2011
Aug 16, 2014 9:42 AM

Nov 2011
My god

Tall girls kissing

I no longer see how it's possible for Fumi and Akira to get together

This tall girl action is great (thankfully I'm taller than both of them)

Or.......wait, does anyone know their heights? I need to make sure.....lol
Oct 10, 2014 10:41 PM

Jul 2014
oookay, i wanted to watch more explicit scenes in shoujo ai/yuri genre (in general)... now here it is. oookay.

wuthering heights.
HEIGHTS.
'tall girl action'.
lol.
Nov 15, 2014 11:00 PM
Jun 2013
So they're just gonna not show the kiss... -________-
Jan 8, 2015 2:09 PM
Aug 2012
gosh, Fumi is so cute when she's in love
Feb 19, 2015 1:34 PM

Dec 2012
That moment between Yasuko and Fumi in the library at the end was absolutely perfect. Yasuko is quite the gentleman and charmer at that. I wonder if that teacher has a thing for her though, he seemed more enthusiastic about his conversation with that student the moment her name was brought up.
Oct 13, 2015 6:12 PM

Dec 2013
I love the group date part lmao. Akira's oniichan was really clingy but they are so adorable. Akira even cried. lol. Ah, the kiss scene

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

May 3, 2016 8:13 PM

Jan 2014
Good episode.. I was hoping to see that kiss xD
Jun 15, 2016 11:08 AM

May 2014
Ok I am sorry but that is so a dude in a dress (just kidding I know its a girl but still... she looks like a guy!!!!)
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Apr 6, 2017 4:38 AM
Jan 2012
Kissu~ That is so cute.
Apr 12, 2017 9:02 PM

Jun 2013
What was that flashback about with Kyouko? My first guess is that she has abandonment issues, but maybe I'm taking it too literally.

Acchan seems to be struggling because she wants to be more independent. Though her brother is certainly over the line, he might be symbolic of all the things that keep Acchan tied down. She also seems to be growing more aware of the things that are hidden from her, like she might eventually figure out Yasuko and Fumi's relationship and also connect the dots about Yasuko and Kyouko.

I liked that brief scene where Fumi rearranged her room, as if she was taking the first step in moving on from her crush on Chizu. A kind of fresh start by a change of environment.

I see your point, and the school play is definitely a clever way to convey the passage of time. But why would Fumi wait so long to quit the basketball club? I think the time that passed between their first date and the kiss in the library couldn't have been more than a week. I'm totally buying their chemistry, but it will feel fast no matter what; we just went from confession to first kiss in just one episode, a quarter way into the series.
Jul 6, 2017 8:14 AM

Mar 2012
the only thing that kinda bothers me about this is that the episodes are so forgettable that it took me less than an hour to forget the whole episode.
Mar 25, 2020 3:20 AM

Aug 2018
Who is that guy for Kyouko?.. Ah, an arranged marriage.. Understood..
Eh?.. But this arranged marriage isn't actually arranged marriage?.. Because Akira said that some are "changing" arranged husband often as gloves.. I'm a bit confused, if it's just a rumor, or indeed bureaucracy works like that in their school..
I wonder, what Fumi likes to read, by the way?.. As we often see her with book.. Just diligent student?.. Or something else?.. Diligently studying is important as well, if that's the case.. But not sure, what she's reading..
Oh, Fumi got invited for a date.. We don't know much about other girl for now.. But I think it's a good chance for them both to learn more about each other?.. And then look, where to head next with their relationship?..
Group date is important one for Akira as well..
Well, Akira's brother is truly baka.. Man, she's grown up.. Let her have her relationships.. Unless you want her for herself and are siscon.. But maybe you really are just overprotective..
Hard to say, what I think about Fumi's and Sugimoto's relationship.. I'm worried, if Sugimoto will abandon her as well as others before.. Especially as we kinda know from Opening, and focus on characters - that probably the end pair is Fumi and Akira?.. So probably Fumi's relationship won't go well, for one or another reason.. I would totally be fine, though, if it wouldn't be the case.. And if Fumi end up with Sugimoto instead.. But low chances, I guess..
Oct 31, 2021 6:02 AM

Jun 2016
Oh, a date for Fumi and a mixer for Akira. One was more successful than the other, hehe.

Sugimoto and Fumi got really close this ep, to the point that they kissed, and of course, the show didn't want to show it, in this ep at least. Typical.

I wonder what was going through Akira's mind seeing Sugimoto and Fumi together like that.

Apr 3, 2022 7:19 PM

Jun 2014
I'm kinda shocked that Fumi's first kiss wasn't with Akira.

I'm not a fan of Yasuko. She's too much like a man.

Mar 5, 7:07 PM

Sep 2018
I can kind of see why the score for this is rather average at a low 7, it's not what it initially seems or at least not what I anticipated it to be. Still very good so far, just a tad bittersweet as a viewer with some fairly nuanced drama and a wide range of potential shipping. Not too many refined girls love shows like this anymore.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MRLX69 - Jul 1, 2009

129 by hagukoko »»
Mar 14, 9:22 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Fugles - Sep 9, 2009

127 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 7, 11:38 AM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starrysky - Aug 12, 2009

65 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 6, 6:23 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - Jul 8, 2009

80 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 7, 2023 7:06 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starrysky - Sep 2, 2009

56 by Destroyer31 »»
Jun 10, 2023 10:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.