Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Apr 13, 2020 1:06 PM

May 2018
How will A1 pictures adapt season 2 after fucking up with the end of season 1? oh well
Apr 13, 2020 1:06 PM

May 2018
How will A1 pictures adapt season 2 after fucking up with the end of season 1? oh well
May 18, 2021 5:20 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
To be honest, this was a really disappointing final arc. No wonder it's anime-original. First 17 episodes was a solid 7.5/10 and the remaining just a 6.0/10.

Alibaba's internal battle continues and Aladdin intervenes to sort things out. Didn't like the direction with the transformation in the first place and feeling's likewise for the opposite with the typical nakama talking jutsu lol. Also, how come the Earth Djinn is all of a sudden under Hakuryuu? I was in total shock there...

Seeing the 8 Generals turning the momentum over and seizing victory was pretty cool though, but nothing beats Sinbad taking down the perpetrator of the battle. Not really a surprise that he's half-Failed now, is it? Nice to see the Princess chipping in to save the island too.

More Morgiana is always welcome ~ We didn't get too much of her from this finale episode but some of the moments feat. her have been glorious, especially those pouts and adorable moments with Alibaba. Expecting a proposal from Alibaba soon!

Sinbad has been another interesting character to keep up with. "Womanizer of the Seven Seas" - lmao, this is hard to forget.

An issue I faced during the course of the show was regarding the usage of the osts. Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing tracks. But the timing and choice at times just felt off a little. Op and ED, both visually and musically, were decent to pretty good though so no problems with that. Some big name artists as well, I must say. Voice acting, meanwhile, was obviously great!

Animation-wise, the art was good for the most bit and the staff knew when to up the tempo with the animation. Here's to hoping this'll remain the same with the coming season(s).

I've heard that the adaption is more faithful to the manga for the second season so that's a plus! Just to be on the safe side though, I'll go through this final arc and the first few chapter(s) in the manga version.

Overall Score: Just a shy away from 7 leaving me with a solid 7.25/10.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 18, 2021 3:55 PM

Jun 2019
My 121st completed (only the first season) series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 6/10 rating.
Aug 26, 2021 9:02 PM

Aug 2018
Sinbad being half fallen was so damn cool

Nice season. 10/10

Feb 25, 2022 9:35 AM
Nov 2020
another power of friend shit overall not bad looking forwards to ss2
Jun 20, 2022 6:13 AM

Dec 2007
well, some of the things here were bit expected, but all in all it was still good, and actually had some surprises: really didn't saw that sinbad would have black rukh in him.

i do find the end bit rushed, they could expand more about the story of the previous king. but it would probably ruin this anime more than it already is.
i mean, it wasn't "that" bad, but after balbad arc it just didn't felt the usual story anymore.

so:
9/10 - for the anime 'till the end of balbad arc
7/10 - from balbad arc 'till the end

8/10 on general

off to the 2nd season.
i kind liked how they opened the series to it in the end.
Nov 2, 2022 10:14 AM

Nov 2016
pretty good show. at 1st i thought it was childish, but then things started deep for a while. overall a pretty good ride
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Dec 4, 2022 11:27 PM
Nov 2022
blackfac evil :(). 3/5
Jan 20, 2023 11:09 AM
Dec 2022
bbb bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Aug 30, 2023 4:41 PM
Aug 2022
I only liked Zagan in the final arc. Not a good way to finalize. Sindria invasion was so weak. 
Hope we see more of china-nato clash in the next season. I'm reaaaly excited about Kouen.
Dec 2, 2023 12:41 AM

Sep 2023
Reply to AnimageNeby
GuiltyKing said:
AnimageNeby said:
Man...you guys can exaggerate. Ok, the anime is not as good as the manga, granted. Ok, they deviated here and there from the manga.

But all in all, the series wasn't that bad, certainly compared to other shounen.

Could it have been better? Probably. For instance, in the end, I thought they made the fights a bit too rushed. And other things throughout the series could have been done a bit better too. But one must realise one says that in comparison to the manga. If there was no manga at all, I think most would simply cheer and rave about how great this anime is.

Point being: when you compare it with the original manga, there are things that you feel could have been done better, true. But if you regard the anime 'as such', one still has to acknowledge it's one of the better shounen of the season.

It's not a 'bad' anime, thus. It's just that, compared to the manga, it's not perfectly adapted. some people seem to not make that distinction.

Which would work just fine it it were a standalone production. But it's not. It's supposed to be an adaption of the manga Magi and is normally obligated to follow it. Little bits of filler here and there won't hurt anybody, of course, but taking entire arcs and alter them to a degree that's disgraceful to the original work, is wrong and something I and many others can't approve of.

No adaptation is perfect. It's a medium of its own, and sometimes, corners must be cut for the simple reason that it has to fit in a 12 or 24-26 episodes-format. Now, I'm not saying that I don't understand your concern: the further an adaptation deviates from the manga, the worse it usually gets. I'm not really thrilled with all and every deviations they did neither, but one has to be able to have some relativism: all in all, they didn't really break the story. Most of them were relatively trivial, in fact, while a few were really bad choices, true.

But in the end, one also has to acknowledge the anime is still pretty good, as an anime. In fact, as a shounen, it's one of the better of the season, even *with* all the changes.

One could lament the fact it could have been even better, ok. But it's still a pretty good anime. At the very least, it's good enough to make people (like me) go read the manga. :-) In fact, one can see it by reading the appraisal of the anime by people who have NOT read the manga: they all think it's a very good shounen anime. So objectively, the anime isn't that bad.

I'm actually looking forward to see the second season with magnostatt. As most, I'm hoping they will stay a bit closer to the original this time, but it will give a good watch regardless.

Now, mind you: I'm not saying I don't understand the complaints, let me repeat this. It just that I think some let their viewpoint be coloured too much by the (comparison with) the manga, and make the conclusion that the anime is bad. Well, it's not bad compared to most other anime out there, it's only less good compared to the original manga. So I agree it would be great if the studio would do better its best to stay faithful to the manga - few will deny that - but one can't exaggerate and claim the anime sucks (as an anime).
@AnimageNeby
Both sides have valid reasoning IMHO. At the risk of seeming hypocritical... I have in this show's previous episode threads stated people should just enjoy it for what it is and stop nagging about canon in the manga. However, in the past I previously chose to watch FMA:B instead of the original FMA because of comments about it being closer to the manga. I loved Brotherhood but now I think sometime in the near future I may go watch the original FMA and then follow up with Brotherhood to see the difference.

Let's not forget, the majority of anime in existence (though not all) were created from using Manga or light novels as a source. And there are plenty of anime that are rated highly and are loved by a vast majority of people in which deviate from the original story of the manga/LN... There are even meta anime about the making of anime where it shows the struggle of the author trying to make sure as little as possible deviations are made. Sometimes it can't be helped and you just gotta let it be.

I haven't read many manga... Maybe about 30 to 40 series. But I never have actually cared too much about the liberties taken in changing the story. It's kind of fun to watch anime take a different path so that it doesn't all feel redundant or unnecessary. If every anime was exactly the same story some would be bored and less interested in watching the anime.

---

I'm so glad that Aladdin told Alibaba he loved him. I think it's nice when friends can say they love each other. And it's too bad English has only one word for love because people tend to take things out of context. Obviously we know he isn't IN love with him. But there are always those few people that misunderstand (or just troll) what is actually meant. Anyway...

I'm just want to say... Morgiana is one of the best characters in any anime I've seen. #FanalisLove
Feb 19, 9:22 AM

Jul 2017
Finally rewatched season 1 after a while and feeling disappointed. The first half was actually decent with a promising start right there from the intro to the opening bunch of episodes to the Balbadd arc with some stakes established, and political elements that did feel somewhat interesting in a refreshing setting like this. Some characters seemed nice too to watch for a good part of the series, a solid enough trio in Aladdin, Alibaba and Morgiana and the supporting characters were decent too. But the Balbadd arc got stretched out a bit too long with some weak cliches used, and the Zagan arc was a real mess to put it very politely, especially as an adaptation. I enjoyed the first half reasonably but the episodes from when Aladdin, Alibaba, Morgiana and Hakuryuu left to the dungeon till the end was really boring, rushed and messy to watch. Climax was underwhelming to say the least.

At least from memory served, the second season is not just better adapted, but has better content too so it should be up from the lowest point that was this Zagan anime arc.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2012

203 by Konatose »»
May 31, 6:58 PM

Poll: » Magi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2012

113 by Konatose »»
May 31, 6:09 PM

Poll: » Magi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2012

119 by Konatose »»
May 31, 5:40 PM

Poll: » Magi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2012

190 by Konatose »»
May 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Magi Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2012

191 by Konatose »»
May 31, 5:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.