Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Another (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Feb 21, 2012 11:28 PM

Oct 2008
I should've known better then to start watching Another while I was eating... If someone gets stabbed like that would the blood seriously spray far enough to splatter the entire classroom like that? I'm no expert but it seems a little far fetched... Anyway, apart from that I enjoyed this episode.

Jure said:
Could it be that the reason curse stopped half-way 15 years ago was because one of the students that died during school trip was already dead? That explains it pretty well, the fact that two people died on same day instead of one kid every month and the fact that they never figured out who was extra that year.

How come nobody in anime even thought of that?
This is exactly what I was thinking when they were talking about it. If the dead student "died" then that would solve the problem of the extra class member. It would also explain why it was never revealed who the dead student was.
Feb 21, 2012 11:35 PM

May 2011
I'm beginning to think that when that man was saying how it wasn't his fault, he saved them, he was implying that he killed one of his classmates, "left 'it' there," and thus ended the curse by getting rid of the extra student.
If so, I'm wondering how he was able to figure it out, though.
Unless, of course, it didn't matter who was killed as long as it was by a fellow student? Unlikely, but I considered it.

I don't know.
femalegoblin said:
For some reason I feel like that pig-tailed girl is the dead one. The foreshadowing in this episode became very apparent to me when she spoke about the hand holding. I feel as if she is Sakibara's reincarnated mother.

I though that, as well. But the end with Mei... I wonder if it's her. After all, she does seem to feel pretty safe from the curse and like she knows things no one else does, but that could just be her personality where she naturally speaks solemnly and doesn't really give a shit.

I just don't get any of this. It's a really intriguing mystery that keeps me guessing. I hope it stays that way until the end. I'll be so upset if it turns to shit after all this good stuff.

And for everyone complaining about the teacher's blood bath in the classroom, I assume they just forgot this:

Ya gotta know the basics before you watch anime, people. :P
Forest-kunFeb 21, 2012 11:39 PM
Feb 22, 2012 1:28 AM

Dec 2011
I don't know what are you all complaining about when it comes to blood... They overdid it a little, but there are real life cases where there was even more blood, and it was all over the place....
Feb 22, 2012 1:59 AM

Oct 2008
akutasame94 said:
I don't know what are you all complaining about when it comes to blood... They overdid it a little, but there are real life cases where there was even more blood, and it was all over the place....
Personally, I was mostly just curious as to whether it was really possible for the blood to have splattered that far. Well, I did a little research over on Wikipedia and...
Wikipedia said:
...a completely severed artery will spurt blood for about 30 seconds and the blood will not spurt much higher than the human head. If the artery is just nicked, on the other hand, the blood will spurt longer but will be coming out under pressure and spraying much further.

In 1933, a murder trial prompted a testimony from Dr. Clement Harrisse Arnold about how far blood could spurt from the neck: six inches vertically and 18 inches laterally.
So I think it's fairly safe to assume that no, it probably isn't possible for the blood to have splattered over the whole classroom.
Then again this is anime we're talking about. An anime with ghosts and death curses and whatnot. So if they want to have dramatic blood splatter for visual effect then I think that's fine. It wouldn't have looked as impressive if they toned it down to make it realistic.
Feb 22, 2012 2:13 AM

Dec 2011
kokocho said:
akutasame94 said:
Personally, I was mostly just curious as to whether it was really possible for the blood to have splattered that far. Well, I did a little research over on Wikipedia and...
Wikipedia said:
...a completely severed artery will spurt blood for about 30 seconds and the blood will not spurt much higher than the human head. If the artery is just nicked, on the other hand, the blood will spurt longer but will be coming out under pressure and spraying much further.

In 1933, a murder trial prompted a testimony from Dr. Clement Harrisse Arnold about how far blood could spurt from the neck: six inches vertically and 18 inches laterally.
So I think it's fairly safe to assume that no, it probably isn't possible for the blood to have splattered over the whole classroom.
Then again this is anime we're talking about. An anime with ghosts and death curses and whatnot. So if they want to have dramatic blood splatter for visual effect then I think that's fine. It wouldn't have looked as impressive if they toned it down to make it realistic.

The way the teacher cut him self no, it couldn't reach the other end of the classroom... I was referring to amount of blood :D I've seen some real pictures, where blood was all over the place....

Also If i remember correctly blood didn't splatter over the whole classroom, as only one drop reached Kouichi who is in the middle of the classroom... Mostly those kids in the first row got bloody :D
Feb 22, 2012 3:28 AM

Oct 2008
akutasame94 said:
kokocho said:
akutasame94 said:
Wikipedia said:

The way the teacher cut him self no, it couldn't reach the other end of the classroom... I was referring to amount of blood :D I've seen some real pictures, where blood was all over the place....

Also If i remember correctly blood didn't splatter over the whole classroom, as only one drop reached Kouichi who is in the middle of the classroom... Mostly those kids in the first row got bloody :D
Yeah the amount of blood was another thing, haha. I just had another look at it (that took a bit of courage XD) and there actually were a few drops of blood that seem to have reached the students at the back of the classroom.
Most of it was just on the the kids in the front though.
Feb 22, 2012 3:41 AM

Dec 2011
Well It's quite possible for few drops to reach there... At least from what I know, but also like you said it's mostly on the kids in the front... :D

Anyway they did what they wanted... They made us sick... Although if they put this into live action movie I can imagine the effect...

Creep factor x infinite :D
Feb 22, 2012 3:51 AM

Oct 2008
It certainly made me feel sick! Almost turned me off my nice coffee I'd just made lol. I bet the animators had fun with it, imagining our reactions.

If they do end up making a live action I'm not sure whether I'd be game enough to watch it... I'm generally not very good with gore but at least it's not as bad if it's animated, I suppose.
Feb 22, 2012 4:01 AM

Dec 2011
kokocho said:
It certainly made me feel sick! Almost turned me off my nice coffee I'd just made lol. I bet the animators had fun with it, imagining our reactions.

If they do end up making a live action I'm not sure whether I'd be game enough to watch it... I'm generally not very good with gore but at least it's not as bad if it's animated, I suppose.

Oh movie will be made, I just don't know when it will be released....
Feb 22, 2012 4:33 AM

Oct 2011
once again, as always, truly amazing!!!!! as always, way too short..........this show always seems to end before it's hardly started - really great the way this is developing - this episode asks far more than it answers - truly shaping up to be a classic.........
Feb 22, 2012 6:40 AM

Jul 2008
WMG that it's the asst. homeroom teacher that is "dead", with a candlestick at the library.
Feb 22, 2012 6:51 AM

Feb 2012
kokocho said:

I can't see it being as bad as, say, Battle Royale.

I don't know if a release date is set; I've just seen Summer 2012.
Feb 22, 2012 12:09 PM

Oct 2010
Probably my favorite episode so far. We received a fair bit of both information and gore (more than enough to satisfy my gore fetish. unlikely for the blood to fly over to the other end of the classroom, but the reactions were more than nice). I was really hoping the teacher would kill some students, rather than himself, but oh well. To be honest I wasn't very intrigued by the mystery of the customer at the cafe, but I am looking forward to Misaki's explanation as to why Sakakibara isn't the dead one. Hoping we'll get a more logical explanation than "my eye told me". As someone has already mentioned, I wish they'd stuck with the us against the world model for longer. I mean, if someone had been ignoring me for so long I wouldn't go have a laugh with them on the roof. (after my teacher brutally murdered himself in front of me). The dream was probably my favorite part, loving the gore in this series.

So my Sakakibara theory was pretty much shattered, so now I'm thinking it's pigtail girl. I have absolutely no reasoning to my theory, it's no more than a hunch. Since Sakakibara never visited the town before and there's certain evidence pointing towards the fact that they've met before, I'd assume she must've been someone he used to know, who died. Only reasonable explanation would be a reincarnation of his mother, but that would be fairly disappointing, so I'd rather let myself be surprised.

As for the preview, well, boohoo. While I might be a fan of beach episodes (sue me), why would you put one into a dark anime such as this? Unless at least 5 people die from shark attacks, pirates, dangerous jellyfish and random creeps by the sea shore there is no acceptable excuse.
merurinFeb 22, 2012 2:32 PM
Feb 22, 2012 2:10 PM

Apr 2011
I think that Mei could have a have a twin, the one that was in the hospital. I didn't think I would see a beach episode in this anime, it can't be worst than the Guilty Crown one.
Feb 22, 2012 7:10 PM

Jun 2011
That dream was awesome. The plot still seems kind of meandering and disjointed to me. The music is nice though.
Feb 23, 2012 2:57 AM

Mar 2008
I do not understand if finding out who the extra person is involves the class knowing or the person themselves . If its just themselves then why not have everybody presume themselves dead ?
Feb 23, 2012 6:19 AM

Jan 2012
I was so expecting that suicide but that teacher died so horribly.
At least Mei and Kouichi aren't ignored anymore but because of that the calamity continues.

I am really starting to wonder who the dead person is...

Feb 23, 2012 6:33 AM

Mar 2008
'Differences between Anime and Manga [FREE SPOILER FREE]:

Death of Yukari:

Death of Sanae:

Kouchi's Nigthmare (mangá better than anime):

Instead of Tatsuji, is Reiko who talk to Kouchi about the summer trip 15 years ago:

Izumi... well... she is diferent person:

In school, after death of Kubodera:

In home:

Something important cut of the anime:

Feb 23, 2012 7:15 AM

Feb 2012
Wow, Kouichi has quite a bit more inner turmoil in the manga. I was wondering after EP7, when Akazawa told Mei and Kouichi that people would blame them for the deaths, that their classmates actually took the deaths quite well -- it looks like that's not the case in the manga.

And Kouichi's grandfather...hm.... That image of the two suit-clad men has piqued my curiosity.
Feb 23, 2012 10:09 AM
Jan 2012
akutasame94 said:
webkid94 said:
If Mei could use her green eye to figure out if Kouichi isn't the "Another", why doesn't she just use it on the rest of 3-3 to prevent any more deaths? She should have used it before she's going to her parents' house.

This episode made me rage a bit, suddenly everyone's talking to Kouichi and Mei like they've been best friends or something. It annoyed me quite a it.

More katawa shoujo's Rin (i know his name is yuuya but i call him Rin for obvious reasons), that really annoying guy and the red head girl suddenly asking for help to solve the mystery.

Damn, teacher's death was really bloody..i kinda LOLed when he started making weird noises it felt so out of place.

Yes that's what bugs me as well...

Why doesn't she use her eye more often if she could see who the dead one is... Maybe because other ignored her...

Also everybody talking to them like nothing happened, and they just witnessed teachers death... WTF? I can understand them talking to Kouchi, but Mei? Although they might have been friends with her before, that's history we know nothing about...

EDIt:

To explain why I thought dead Misaki was her twin... Because of those twin dolls she talked about around first 2 or 3 episodes...

Also if her sister didn't get a chance to live why is the doll inspired by her? How did mother know that dead sister was going to look so much like Mei? I really don't understand some stuff....

Yea, it thought that they were supposed to be twins, so I guess that her neglectful mother made her twin sister based on the live daughter.

But if they are not twins, then could it be that she never had a sister and that she is actually the dead student but does not really know?

Never the less, that would be too direct for a story that likes to complicate things, I just hope that the dead student doesn't turn out to be a character we have not even seen before and thus ruins all the fun of figuring it out by myself.
BronzeAgeFeb 23, 2012 10:16 AM
BronzeAge
Feb 23, 2012 11:10 AM

Apr 2011
>_> damn teach....
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Feb 23, 2012 11:11 AM

Apr 2009
Urg, those first two minutes were horribly painful to watch. Sympathy pain sucks sometimes.

Also, the next episode preview was hilarious for me. The music just did not match happy people playing on the beach at all.

Feb 23, 2012 11:56 AM

Aug 2008
Feb 23, 2012 12:58 PM

May 2011
That scene in the beginning... wow. That was just hard to watch, he just had to keep pushing the knife deeper and deeper. That skin peeling off and melting nightmare was just ughh eww.

Ok Mei has convinced me Kouichi isn't the dead one, she just seems so sure lol. That scene at the end sure was suspicious.

Oh yes Izumi is becoming much more like the girl I've envisioned her to be. So much more nicer and cool; I like it.

Waffocopter said:
Also, the next episode preview was hilarious for me. The music just did not match happy people playing on the beach at all.
This.
Feb 23, 2012 4:38 PM

Jun 2009
dat suicide. That was tough...not trying to be funny or anything but there are much easier ways. I wonder why the teacher chose to knife himself in the throat, in class.
Feb 23, 2012 4:59 PM

Jan 2012
man... the suicide scene is damn terrifying...

so sakaki thought that he is the dead person this year. that dream also freak me out LOL

looks like next episode is for fanservice? LOL
Feb 23, 2012 10:09 PM

Sep 2008
Sheesh, I knew that ignoring Chihiro-chan was a horrible idea.
A week without her must be excruciating though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2012 10:26 PM

Feb 2012
I love how you keep calling her Chihiro...they really kind of look similar, don't they....
Feb 24, 2012 3:38 AM

Dec 2011
Valkyrie-Ryu said:
akutasame94 said:
Also if her sister didn't get a chance to live why is the doll inspired by her? How did mother know that dead sister was going to look so much like Mei? I really don't understand some stuff....
.....because siblings tend to look a LOT like each other?

and idk if I'm remembering all the details but did Mei every specifically rule out that her stillborn sister was not her twin? if not that's still a possibility

Yes, they tend to look like each other, but not that much unless they are twins...

I have two brothers, one looks like me, but if a doll was inspired by him you would never mix him with me....
Feb 24, 2012 7:24 AM

Jan 2009
They should be more with manga...
Feb 24, 2012 9:16 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Valkyrie-Ryu said:

And you have to realize that there aren't really any anime that are actually dead-on scary.

It's all relative. I watch several shows with my 11 year old son (Another is definitely not one of them). I watched Scrapped Princess last year and figured it would be something he might like, so last weekend we started watching it. He enjoyed the first three episodes. Last night we watched episode four, and the part where the church had started a purge of the town and the blob monster started mind controlling the people freaked him out - he ran up to his room and shut the door. (sigh)

I know for sure he'd never make it through the opener for Another, never mind actually watching any of the show itself...
Feb 24, 2012 4:02 PM

Dec 2011
THIS ANIME IS FRIGGIN' AWESOME!

My inner sadist loves the death scenes, too. But the mystery... WHOA. Just... WHOA!

AND MAN, DO I WANT SAKAKIBARA AND MISAKI TO GET MARRIED AND MOVE TO TOKYO!
AND HAVE LOTS OF BABIES
LOTS AND LOTS OF PRETTY BABIES

...but I have a suspicion that one of them's going to die at the end! :(
THAT WOULD MAKE ME SAD

If anyone that knows of the novel could tell me what happens at the end, I would appreciate that! (With a spoiler alert for the rest of the people on here, of course! :3)
Feb 24, 2012 7:48 PM

Aug 2011
I honestly don't know why I put myself through shows like these...I really can't handle blood and gore very well. xD

But this was actually a really good episode. Also I keep getting the feeling that there's something strange about Kouichi's dad, especially since he's never been shown once so far.
Feb 24, 2012 10:09 PM
Dec 2010
I have a theory - there's obviously something odd about that doll, and I think it signifies something about Mei.

Notice it has a green eye, but its hair is covering the other . . .
Feb 25, 2012 2:30 AM
Nov 2010
That was a good episode, especially towards the end...
Feb 25, 2012 4:34 AM

Aug 2011
Wow, that was one hell of a way to commit suicide
Feb 25, 2012 9:22 PM

Nov 2007
at least they aren't ignored anymore. the dream sequence was way more creepy/disturbing than any of the deaths so far.

eh I still don't like Misaki.

I also had the idea while watching that he could have been dead, with the mother pregnancy theory but yeah it's not him.

predictions: that guy's sister is the next to die.

another random prediction Akazawa isthe dead one. just have a feeling for some reason.
Feb 25, 2012 10:16 PM

Jul 2011
What I really like about this show is that eerie feel that corpse party has. Like some huge plot twist is going to happen, characters that are cared for will die, and then that twist is going to be twisted again and become cliched.

The whole thing about Mei not being a ghost or some kind of spectral form kinda killed it for me. Although I think I'm being biased because I'm a supposed spectrophiliac.

Personally, I think it's going to be a whole suzamiya haruhi thing where the main dude is going to think the main chick is the some kind of something but it's actually him who's really the dead one(dude in haruhi made haruhi to be the creator, masochistic existentialism). All that stuff about him not being a ghost is some kind of red herring.

The instructor's suicide was a little over the top, considering he could have done it at the comfort of his home, downing a lot of sake, and committing seppuku instead.
The chip in my mind, it summons me.
I gave my life to your machines.
Feb 26, 2012 3:03 PM
Feb 2009
Me and my sister also had a feeling that Akazawa might be the dead one. She goes around checking everyone, right? Shaking their hands etc. But who checks her? This will be my theory for now, at least.

Good episode, good show. I really love it. The teacher's suicide was beautifully gory and I loved how realistic everyone's reactions were, each student reacted differently.
Feb 26, 2012 4:28 PM

May 2007
that stupid moment, when you know who's the dead one because of the novel. :< Damn, at least they could change it in the anime! No fun at guessing!
Feb 26, 2012 6:19 PM

Jul 2011
I wish my teacher would do like that since I don't like her subject. But nah.. I'm not a student anymore. Great episode by the way.
mayazansuFeb 26, 2012 6:28 PM

Feb 26, 2012 7:30 PM

Apr 2010
Called it.
Feb 27, 2012 1:04 AM

Aug 2010
At this point I'm leaning towards Mei being the dead one. The fact how the naming of the episodes tie in with the whole doll business, there is just too much connection here. It could also enhance the romance aspect. Kouichi and Mei falling in love, but Mei has to move on and we get a bittersweet ending, could work I think. Wouldn't be surprised if Sakakibara-kun was the dead one of course, lots of hints on that one. Now that I think about it, what if there are two dead people this time around? I'm not sure the possibility is excluded.

I have a feeling they left the body at the excursion that year when the phenomena stopped. Next up, the obligatory beach episode, I wonder how they will handle it. The dream sequence was a nice touch to this episode. 4/5.
Feb 27, 2012 5:39 AM
Feb 2012
I still don't get it: why is the beach episode a must, at least here?!
If Texhnolyze had a beach episode, I would have dropped the anime altogether lol
Feb 27, 2012 7:21 AM

Feb 2012
the_trainman said:
I still don't get it: why is the beach episode a must, at least here?!

Ask me again in three hours. It'll probably have a macabre ending, at least.
Feb 27, 2012 5:40 PM
Dec 2009
The way how the teacher killed himself is just gruesome. It actually made me hold my neck for a while.

I still don't have any idea who the dead one is.
Feb 28, 2012 6:50 AM
Nov 2009
Thought she was gonna say "I see dead people" at the end for some reason.
Feb 28, 2012 10:42 AM

Jan 2010
Beach episode.
WHY
Anyway, I'll be fine with it if it's not just some stupid fan service.
Wow, good episode.
I love seeing Mei's eye, it's so pretty.
Feb 28, 2012 5:40 PM

Aug 2010
That death scene was BRUTAL!! lol things are getting real, but a beach episode?!? FFS let's hope it's a real ep and no fan service.
Feb 29, 2012 3:19 AM

Oct 2010
That suicide scene omg. Brutally awesome. I'd probably cry if that happened in front of me in real life, though.

And that dream. How... fascinating.
[insert awesome signature here]
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Another Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sir_Lexa - Jan 30, 2012

538 by 0ddi_ »»
May 23, 12:41 AM

Poll: » Another Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2012

1043 by NoviSun »»
May 21, 7:12 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MrSteeel - Jan 23, 2012

666 by BertBert »»
May 21, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ilikeyouevenmore - Jan 16, 2012

383 by BertBert »»
May 21, 2:53 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jenanime - Jan 9, 2012

477 by BertBert »»
May 21, 2:26 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.