Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Nov 6, 2018 1:14 PM
Jul 2018
I feel like I'm the only one who noticed that everything bad happened because of Starsha.

Desler promised her to unite the Universe and in return she cheated on him with Mamoru(pure NTR).

Anime overall was really good and since most people don't even notice that fact it makes it better for them but it kinda annoyed me.
removed-userNov 6, 2018 1:23 PM
Nov 19, 2018 6:40 AM

Mar 2016
Script was garbage, but it sure looked good, and damn the girls are hot.

Would have probably liked the original more, because this style of storytelling would have been easier to digest when told on cel. They obviously tried to make this beautiful and evocative, but they only succeeded at the former (those space clouds are gorgeous), with a lot of episodes only existing to get across a certain idea or emotion and falling flat.

In one of the early episodes when Yuki and Kodai are talking before meeting those AI enemies for the first time, there was some genuine human warmth and emotion between them for like a minute. I think that scene was the only time either of those characters interested me.

I_Simon_V said:
I feel like I'm the only one who noticed that everything bad happened because of Starsha.

Iscandar deserves a colony drop or two.
syncrogazerNov 19, 2018 7:02 AM
Jan 2, 2019 5:00 AM

Dec 2015
syncrogazer said:

Would have probably liked the original more, because this style of storytelling would have been easier to digest when told on cel. They obviously tried to make this beautiful and evocative, but they only succeeded at the former (those space clouds are gorgeous), with a lot of episodes only existing to get across a certain idea or emotion and falling flat.

On the other hand, the original didn't even try to express particular things with each episode, it was "only" a relatively good travel thriller (to the detriment of a stable build) for most of its duration. Not sure it can be seen as sharing its storytelling style with the new incarnation.
Jan 25, 2019 4:50 AM
Apr 2018
Manly tears were shed. Poor Captain Okita. This series has been one hell of a roller-coaster ride.10/10
Mar 2, 2019 5:11 PM
Aug 2018
So, we never learned who or what Yuki really was and why she had amnesia?

What happened to her after the car accident? Why did Starsha and Yurisha refer to her as one of them?

Yurisha said during that one episode with the psychic enemy that there were two of them on board.

Starsha initially mistook her with either Yurisha or that other girl that died on mars. But when she spoke with Mamoru, she said something about "I have to tell them, she was also here."
As far as I can tell, she never told them anything. And we never got to know who she was refering to.

The character db says something about a psychic connection between Yurisha and Yuki, but this was never mentioned in this anime?
Mar 21, 2019 4:42 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Did a five year after rewatch with the Funi BD's. Still as good and enjoyable as I remember it. Perfect, no, but what anime is? Cannot wait to jump on to 2022 which is coming out in less than a month.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 19, 2019 5:14 AM

Sep 2014
a bit of forced drama in the final episode.

Overall it was a nice, complete story with no huge weaknesses other than maybe Starsha being absolutely retarded.
I would have wished some other characters would have gotten more focus, especially the girls. They had some in the middle but once all the action started it died down, leaving their characters kinda hollow and insignificant, same with the love triangle things. Especially Akira suffered from this. Might as well have been a pilot from the start with no special screentime.

But Yamato 2199 has some of the finest asses in anime, so thats a plus.

8/10
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Sep 16, 2019 4:47 PM

Nov 2012
I want to say I liked this as much as the original but I'm not sure that's the case, both series had their ups and downs. I'll probably end up giving it the same score I gave the original series a low 7/10.

I'm not sure I'll watch 2202: Ai no Senshi-tachi, I never watched Yamato 2 cause imo the series best conclusion came from Saraba Uchuu Senkan Yamato: Ai no Senshi-tachi despite it's retconned status in the franchise.
VanishingKiraSep 16, 2019 4:58 PM
Sep 17, 2019 2:46 AM

Dec 2015
VanishingKira said:
I want to say I liked this as much as the original but I'm not sure that's the case, both series had their ups and downs.

Would you mind to explicit it a bit more?
(I liked the original series for its SF thriller aspect and loved the theatrical finale, "Saraba" but I can't find a reason to watch the OAVs remake)

@St0rmblade Your questions about the background won't probably be answered: Yamato is first and foremost a "space thriller" where the thrill is found in the travel (and its many obstacles). There isn't really a full world created to sustain it.
Also, despite the multitude of sequels, the original had initially a big "bang" of a finale with the 2nd movie (before the 2nd show "resurrected" everyone). By the way, the 2nd OAV series remade the story by borrowing to both versions, I think.

As for the comparisons you mentioned, I don't get on what basis peoples can compare GinEiDen, interested in politics/warfare and following the ascension of characters like an historical portraying, to a thriller... They do 't even belong together.

February 10, 2020
Areesha33 said:
3. Also if Yuki is not Iscandarian then why does she look like the Iscandarian princess?? and she didn't remember anything after the accident so I thought she is one of the princess but Yurisha said she is Earthling, which makes me confused.

* Because the original had them as look-alike for some obscure reason (left unexplained if I remember well).
* Because the main thing helping to differenciate two female humanoids designed by Leiji Matsumoto is the hair colour. Once this point is identical too...
I know the redesigns tried to distance themselves from the original ones but they also kept enough to look somehow similar to Matsumoto's style (wich makes it rather weird-looking for me).

I wanted to see some after-credit scene what other characters are doing after this journey

Well... don't say it to the others but they all die... brutally. ;)
Rei_IIIFeb 9, 2020 11:34 PM
Oct 12, 2019 8:24 PM
Jul 2011
Wow this anime is so good I want to forget about it so I can enjoy watching it again! I kept asking myself how did I miss this masterpiece all these years whilst watching this show. The visuals are great and it has this old school feeling to it.

I recommend this to anyone who is a space fan! 10/10
Jan 5, 2020 4:34 PM

Aug 2017
This episode was super emotional, I was literally crying for 30 minutes straight. Indeed, Kodai talking to a CORPSE of his beloved Yuki is just heartbreaking. As well as seeing the Captain cry for the first time ever... Damn that was a powerful scene. At least he died in peace.

Now, overall Yamato was great too. Great and emotional soundtrack, superb animation and all that. However, the characters and the plot were not flawless. Oh, and I was a bit disappointed by the lack of a proper ED. There's just a song (a very beautiful one though!) and recap scenes from the show alongside with credits. So I'll rate it somewhere between 7 and 8.

- I understand why people say that the characters are underdeveloped. However, I should point out that Yamato belongs to a type of shows where characters are meant to work *together*, not as standalone ones. Compare it to TTGL - it, too, had a big crew which was very enjoyable and had little quirks here and there. It was a good mix. Same is true for Yamato - yes, not all of the side characters and crew members are super important to the plot, but they have recognizeable designs, are enjoyable and just have a good mix together. This is how such a show works. Of course, I think that TTGL's cast is better developed (in terms of the main characters), but I think you get the point - the characters are meant to be seen together, not apart. They are a crew after all. Although surely there could've been more to them - in particular, Shima felt like the least important character from the main cast.
- As for Desler, he's sadly a very typical villain. Aside from his love for Starsha, sexy voice and looks there's nothing that really stands out. Although I'd say he was probably more of a symbol of alien invasion, since the whole show is about saving humanity and having hope.

As for the plot, there're some unresolved points too. I've written about them in the previous episodic threads, so I won't repeat myself, but some points are worth stressing:
We still know almost nothing about Iscandar. Why was the entire population aside from Starsha, Yurisha and Sasha dead? Why was Iscandar using the WMC as a war tool? How did Iscandarians get "separated" from Gamillas in the past (assuming that this part of Desler's speech was true)? Everything about Mamoru is still concerning me. Yuki's past is mysterious except from the fact that she's confirmed to be not from Iscandar. Her spiritual relationship with Yurisha is not explained. Yurisha posessing the girl from the ship was not really explained too. Moving consciousness? Overall, the technology in this show is mostly magic. Although I can buy it given that it's a sci-fi show and, well, in a fantasy universe a lot can happen. I also reserve a place for the sequels - since the original Yamato has quite a lot of them, and the remakers will presumably remake all of them eventually. So maybe some plot points will be resolved later. HOWEVER. Why didn't the writers of the show take time dilation into account? Warping is happening at faster than light speeds, so it's not like Yamato could return to Earth and have the same time on the clock. Amiright or was I studying my physics not well enough? Although the concept of time dilation pretty much fucks up every space show out there with the exception of Gunbuster. Also, I wonder why did they not show the reaction of the crew to Okita's death and just skipped to the new Earth. By the way, I'd like to see the process of rejuvenating Earth too! Finally, it looks like there're some feelings Akira has for Kodai that are never given any proper development. Or why is she blushing when seeing him? It's not the first time. There was also a scene in the hangar where she was like "Kodai-kun!", but ran away after noticing him with Yuki. Maybe I'm just imagining things, idk.

In the end, while there's still a lot to improve, Yamato's flaws are not ultra critical - it's just me being overly analytical after getting a very emotional ride. I enjoyed the show a lot. Of course I wouldn't compare Yamato to LOGH as some folks in this thread have been doing - these shows are just not comparable in terms of length and characterisation - but Yamato is still a solid addition to my space opera collection, a remake of a classic that inspired my favourite director (Hideaki Anno) and just a good show. Solid 8/10, and I'm looking forward to the sequels. Maybe I'll watch the second season and watch the 3rd season of the original, since it's not remade yet.

@Rei_III that comment about 2nd season looked kinda spoilerish :D
But if the 2202 remake borrowed from both canonical versions, I think it's worth watching. Choosing older seasons over this one risks disrupting continuity due to slight plot differences here and there (I've read a list of them on wikipedia). I'm not sure about other seasons and movies though, it doesn't look like you value them a lot. Are they a common example of "milking" a franchise or something?
As for LOGH and Yamato, I think that people compare them just because they take place in space, it's as simple as that. There're just not enough space shows out there to make comparisons, so people take even thematically different series.

UPD: found a couple of amazing websites about Yamato
The first one is entirely dedicated to it (not only 2199 version):
https://ourstarblazers.com/vault/yamato2199/
This one has a ton of great articles about the history of the show, very interesting
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/?s=SPACE+BATTLESHIP+YAMATO
This article lists all other Yamato-related articles in chronological order:
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2014/11/28/space-battleship-yamato-2199-x-icsca-promotion/
St0rmbladeJan 6, 2020 9:45 AM
Jan 13, 2020 11:08 PM
Jul 2018
This anime...holy shit. I have no words to describe how amazing it was watching this anime. This is the BEST space opera show that I've ever watched, it's pretty much a masterpiece of the genre. And even if you don't take it's genre into consideration it's still a pretty damn good anime that deserves a top spot in anyone's list.
Feb 5, 2020 7:47 AM

Apr 2018
8/10 I love the journey but didn't like the ending the whole concept of Cosmose Reverse System ( the memories of Mamoru) felt like a plot conveneince to save Mori and her whole dying scene and reviving thing felt too forced to me and there were some things which is still unexplained:
1. Why Yurisha can sense Yuki and said she is her other half?
2. Does Starsha's child is actually Mamoru's?
3. Also if Yuki is not Iscandarian then why she resembles like Iscandarian princess?? and she didn't remember anything after the accident so I thought she is one of the princess but in ep 24 Yurisha said she is Earthling and Sasha is the third princess which makes me confused idk maybe I missed something.
Other than that It was amazing. Also Akira is best girl and I wanted to see some after-credit scene what other characters are doing after this journey.
Apr 6, 2020 7:24 AM
Feb 2016
No one else found it a bit ridiculous her being brought back to life? kinda ruined perfect series for me
Apr 9, 2020 3:36 PM

Nov 2018
This show is fantastic, the art, the animation, the music, the action scenes, everything was top tier, probably one of the best space operas out there.

Definitely worth watching if you're an avid sci-fi or space fan.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Apr 17, 2020 11:45 AM
Jul 2017
NordicHorde said:
Manly tears were shed. Poor Captain Okita. This series has been one hell of a roller-coaster ride.10/10

Really enjoyed this too. I don't have much exposure to space dramas outside of main pop (Gundam, SW etc), so this was a blessing.

Wanted a more developed epilogue though. Might be too much to ask for, also maybe considering I might get to find out more in the next series? I don't have exposure to the older series or anything.

This series is totally re-watchable too. Approaching Gundam levels honestly.
Jun 12, 2020 2:40 AM

Nov 2011
All's well that ends well. Let's just get this out of the way, yes, too much plot armor for the Yamato, yes, somewhat Deus ex Machina ending there, they did their best to explain things but it wasn't convincing enough. I get the engine was using his memory to restore things to how they were before which is how Mori survived, with Okita's death powering up the engine again, but i really felt they should have chosen one, either Mori or earth, both feels again, too convenient.

However, despite all that there was SO much good in this show that i enjoyed, the story, crew, characters were all on point, there were certain episodes that absolutely blew my miind, especially the rebellion one, it had its moments, Dessler for all his faults was a great antagonist, i had so much respect for Domel as well. Sad but not least really sad to see the demise of Okita, he was my favorite character in the whole show, his death was expected but still too sad to see. 8.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Aug 24, 2020 3:52 PM

Aug 2017
I just thought that comparing Desler and the Gamilas to space nazis makes even more sense when you think about his goals regarding the "survival" of his people achieved through brutal foreign policies, colonialism and all that, literally Lebensraum.
Feb 18, 2021 7:44 PM
Dec 2019
Hehe I watched Irresponsible Captain Tylor before I watched this and only now do I really appreciate what it was parodying.

I usually ignore plot contrivances and irrationality when it comes to making action spectacle for the sake of entertainment so I'll continue to do that here. I didn't think too much about it and as a result I found the episodic adventures to be engaging. They did a nice job having a great amount of variety to the action set pieces. Yes, the Yamato is made out of plot armor, but that's kind of a given that you're going to have to accept going in.

What I can't ignore is the extremely bland cast. To be clear, having an archetypal set of characters isn't bad by itself. I've seen series where the characters themselves weren't that special but the tone gives them an appealing coating. But the tone here is really typical anime fare between teenage characters as well. If it was adult characters talking to one another in a more emotionally subdued manner then the cast could be dry as hell but I'd still be invested because the natural gravity of the situation is allowed to sink in. The thin romance really didn't help either. A bit too much teasing about crushes, too much blushing in response, too much male gaze camera work, too many laughably evil villains, too much preachy don't hate your enemy stuff. It's not a lot, but my point is that while it's not bad or anything, it doesn't add anything to the characters. And I don't think a 50 episode show would've helped the characters because there were never any interesting ideas in them to develop in the first place, not when all their development concerns getting over people they've lost in the war.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor also had an anti-war message, but it was one that was delivered by showing and not telling the absurdity of space operas like this one. Here, they try to inject some comedy in the villains but the clash of tone and themes doesn't work. You can have these laughably evil villains to provide tension, and you can have your reconciliation message to provide theme/emotion, but you can't have both in the same show. You can't talk about peace with aliens when the aliens are basically space Nazis. This is basically the same problem Towards the Terra had.

This show is really gorgeous, though. It's got beautiful canvasses of space and alien worlds. Too bad the art failed in one crucial area: having unique character designs for the main characters. After watching Samurai 7, a show that was also plot heavy while being populated by thin characters, I realized how much its unique character designs helped the appeal of the characters.

Basically, I think this show only excelled at being an action adventure with gorgeous audiovisuals. Which I would usually eat up in an instant, but I'm also sick and tired of Japanese militaristic space operas/mecha shows about war. I don't know why, but they never seem to have interesting characters. Perhaps it's because they're all just made to be soldiers. Watching this makes me want to delete all the Leiji, Tomino, and Kawamori works from my plan to watch list.
RecynonFeb 18, 2021 7:57 PM
Oct 6, 2021 10:15 PM

Jul 2020
Man there was so much I loved about this show. First off the animation which is my favorite. Absolutely gorgeous I swear I felt like I was watching a movie with an unlimited budget or something. The music was superb takes me back to the LOGH music. Main characters were well developed as well as the side characters. Villains were compelling in there own way which in some instances I felt sentimental towards them. And of course FANSERVICE!!!! It was good enough not over the top heheh.

BUT that ending felt so forced I honestly wasn’t feeling that crazy when Yuki came back and I’m still confused how she came back alive. If someone could elaborate on this maybe I’ll increase my score. Otherwise, 7/10. I tried loving this show believe me
n6ahOct 6, 2021 10:19 PM
May 12, 2022 4:13 PM

Aug 2014
This 26-OVA of Star Blazers Yamato 2199 a fine anime, and its a shame its not more popular. 

Yes, it has its flaws, mainly in the middle episodes, in which some episodes were very slow, I would have cut down the anime to 20 episodes to speed things up. But still a fine anime. 

Shame that the Captain died, real shame. He was the best character. But he did manage to see Earth once more.

I would have liked if we had seen the main characters returning to Earth and hugging their loved ones, as the anime concludes, with a nice epilogue.  But thats that.

For everyone, this anime has a GREAT English Dub, and I highly recommend watching it english dub.

Off to the movie and then to season 2, although I dont know why there is a season 2, considering the journey is over.

Edit:

I saw the movie, and it was fine. I liked it more then the ending of episode 26, so watch the movie.

As for season 2, I dropped it after episode 5.  I did not like the feeling of the anime nor the direction it was going.  Such a shame. 

So my Star Blazers journey ends with this 2199 anime and the movie.

It was a nice ride. :)
oooo3333Mar 1, 2023 12:52 AM
Jul 30, 2022 9:52 PM

Nov 2014
What a let-down this series was. Everything good about it was lifted from the original, and everything it tried to do differently fell flat. The story was so overstuffed with pointless subplots and superfluous characters that the spirit of the original Yamato was completely stifled. None of the classic moments of epic heroism or genuinely earned melodrama from the original are present here, it's all so sterile and mundane in comparison. I'm thinking about writing a full review but honestly there are so many things I disliked about 2199 that it would take a painfully long time to write it all out coherently and structure it into something worth reading.
Aug 6, 2023 8:08 AM
Feb 2016
amasing reality sci-fi
Oct 22, 2023 12:45 AM

Feb 2016
Speechless

What a beautiful anime
Oct 22, 2023 1:36 PM
May 2016
Just the perfect ending.
Mar 20, 11:02 AM

Mar 2014
I was irritated by the fact that Yuki had to die in such a stupid way - shot because of her brainless action, while the antagonist keeps getting plot armor out of nowhere. In the end, I was pleasantly surprised... the ending was pretty good.
However, poorly written characters, who were meant to represent the best of humanity are the biggest drawback of the series. It's surprising how high the rating of this series is; if not for the excellent soundtrack, I probably wouldn't have made it to the end.
Apr 18, 8:53 AM

Mar 2012
I was expecting lot from this anime but turned out to be average, not that bad though, I really like Kodai Susumu's character design btw.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Having real problems sticking to this show.

shurryy - Dec 25, 2014

10 by Khalifla »»
May 14, 1:57 PM

» OP Singers of TV Airing ver.

tsubasalover - Mar 16, 2013

9 by Serhiyko »»
Mar 29, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HybridMBL - Sep 15, 2013

54 by Mailo91 »»
Mar 20, 8:58 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

27CansOfTuna - Mar 10, 2013

59 by Merolae »»
Nov 21, 2023 2:37 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 9 Discussion

27CansOfTuna - Dec 2, 2012

39 by Rekuiemu »»
Nov 12, 2023 12:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.