Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 10, 2009 8:04 AM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I can't believe Utena lost the duel. I hope she comes to her senses and wins Anthy back.

Apr 14, 2009 8:38 PM

Aug 2008
Wow, Utena on her knees begging and CRYING. Anthy holds power over that girl's soul...mwahahahahaha.
Aug 29, 2009 8:00 AM

Aug 2008
I was hoping Utena would lose a duel. Touga really manipulated her, though. I can't believe that happened.

I'm very torn on what I believe about Anthy.
Sep 21, 2009 2:21 AM

Aug 2008
I figured she would lose this duel, if anything to be shown the truth, or be beat down only to shine brighter. And as much as Touga's logic "makes sense" im sure that Anthy really does want to be her own self

Oct 5, 2009 4:24 AM

Apr 2009
I saw this coming from 10 miles away, it was so obvious that Utena would lose the duel, Touga's manipulation of her would be a waste if she didn't and I doubt they'd spent as much time showing how he fooled her and gained her trust only to have him lose.
Aug 3, 2010 8:04 PM

Jan 2010
ExquisiteDefect said:
I was hoping Utena would lose a duel. Touga really manipulated her, though. I can't believe that happened.
He couldn't have won otherwise.
Nov 11, 2010 6:42 PM

Aug 2009
=[ Don't cry....
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Dec 5, 2010 8:51 AM

Nov 2010
I was expecting her to lose the duel because of Touga's manipulations, but I was still annoyed when she did. Hopefully, they have a rematch soon.
Apr 11, 2011 11:54 AM

Mar 2011
Poor Utena :'(
"I'm commander Shepard, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my favorite anime in the galaxy"
Jul 1, 2011 1:25 PM

Apr 2009
That Anthy is such a bitch.

I won't feel bad for her again everytime she gets slapped on the face. That bitch deserves it. Rose Bride is my a$$
Jul 3, 2011 11:57 PM

Jun 2009
Good stuff as usual.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 6, 2011 7:41 PM

Aug 2010
I'm liking the way this show is going now. I was scared that Utena was going to win every single duel, but thankfully I was wrong.
Jan 4, 2012 5:05 PM
Dec 2009
pathetic, utena's a fool.
how does one forget such an important person who changed one's life.
tag©.androgynous
Jan 22, 2012 11:48 AM

Jul 2011
i really believe that when Anthy said she wants to have more friend, she really really mean it... i feel bad for her actually...
Apr 29, 2012 1:30 PM

Dec 2009
^ I think so too
Damn, what happened? that was kind of sad actually.
Aug 23, 2012 12:55 PM

May 2010
Hey they didn't hit the Indian girl this time!
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 29, 2012 2:04 PM

Aug 2009
I am so fascinated by everything happening here. What is false and what is true????? Muahahaha.

Touga and Anthy are so mysterious. There is no way to know what they really are thinking or what they really want! It is awesome :)

The concept of the Rose Bride being completely under the control of her fiancee is very interesting, though I suspect not entirely true...
Sep 5, 2012 12:13 AM

Apr 2012
Touga played some real mind games with Utena and won the duel. I bet this is what was going on in his mind afterwards:

Anyway, I don't fully buy his explanation about the Rose Bride but I guess more info about that will be revealed soon.
Sep 13, 2012 12:19 AM

Mar 2012
My feels. And my thought process. They're all so messed up right now.

I hate seeing Anthy so robotic again. Here's hoping she's back with Utena soon. :(
Nov 25, 2012 5:42 PM
Aug 2007
Man, Touga is one manipulative bastard. But i still didn't think Utena would lose. And what's with her being able to call on her Ring power at will.. was she intentionally calling the real prince or what?

Anyway. This is great so far.. when Anthy said she wanted more friends I was tearing up..
Nov 26, 2012 3:15 AM

Aug 2012
Hey, Utena finally lost a fight! Touga is such a sly dog.

and, uh....random balloons for some reason!
Feb 5, 2013 2:42 PM

Oct 2011
That was a good episode, for sure. Touga is hilarious. Ownage.
Feb 8, 2013 7:15 PM

Aug 2007
I feel bad since Utena is so confused :C
She wants Anthy to be her own person so bad, but at the same time Touga is clouding her head with the Prince of the past... But at least we can expect to see more passion from Utena as she continues to discover what this whole new world really means as she tries to get her back.

Mar 29, 2013 5:22 PM
Jan 2012
Touga sucks ._.
Nov 22, 2013 12:50 PM

Nov 2010
What is the true face of Himemiya Anthy? I'm confused but it's interesting. I'm sure she's manipulating things and she's less innocent as it seems, but still.. Is she an empty puppet/tool, an egotist, a damsel in distress or a combination of these things? Did she mean what she said about wanting more friends, did she open her heart or, being the rose bride, was it just to please Utena.. Or maybe it was.. manipulation. o.O And just what the hell is it with the balloons and Micky's stopwatch? xD
RinKuriNov 22, 2013 1:21 PM
Mar 14, 2014 10:33 AM

Oct 2010
Well, Touga did warn her not to show any compassion.
Mar 19, 2014 2:25 PM

Apr 2012
what the fuck do those balloons mean
u gay
Nov 18, 2014 9:15 AM
Nov 2013
THOSE BALLOONS MANN, THE BALLOOOOONS!! (and the stopwatch, ofc)

Seems like whoever is more hot headed will lose the duel, first time Utena being on the offensive and she lost
Dec 31, 2014 10:26 AM

Sep 2013
This episode I was completely on Touga's side If Utena's feelings for her ouji-sama get in the way that easily, she does not even deserve to be the champion. Like, wtf.

The best part of every episode is always the student council meeting. The music, the direction and the writing is just so unique and interesting in that scene.

And the duels are entertaining too.
Jan 7, 2015 7:51 PM

Jul 2014
Wow, this anime keeps on getting darker...

I was surprised that Utena lost, and I felt really bad when she did because I know she loves Anthy. I can't believe how Anthy acted towards Utena when she lost, and it almost annoyed me cause Utena x Anthy :c
Mar 13, 2015 9:22 PM

Apr 2014
I loved this episode. I'm really getting more curious about this End of the World thing and Rose Brides. I really wonder if Anthy has a real personality
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2015 8:59 PM

Oct 2013
WTF Utena lsot a duellll
are we going to find out that anyth is like 1000 billion years old or something about her isn't normall well thats obv FEKK I NEED TO KNOW MORE
[/quote]
Sep 11, 2015 8:35 PM

Jul 2014
So much symbolism! And so much stock footage!

4/5
Feb 5, 2016 12:04 PM

Feb 2013
I knew she was going to lose, damn Utena, what did you expect? you already know anthy will leave your side if you lose...:(

Feb 13, 2016 8:18 PM

Aug 2014
Was expecting Utena to finally lose there, that bastard Touga had everything stacked against her with all his mind games.
Feb 22, 2016 2:47 AM

Apr 2013
Did no one pick up on why Anthy said, "I'd like to make more friends?" The only reason she said it was so that Utena would stop hesitating about the duel and fight for Anthy, not because she actually wanted more friends. It was a counter to Touga's manipulation. The Rose Bride is cunning indeed, though that encouragement doesn't appear to be enough.

It was quite...well, amusing would be the right word, I think, to see Utena finally fall. No matter what, Utena's swordsmanship can't be beaten. Touga instead uses Utena herself to win. Swords are only tools, after all, it's the human behind them's choice to stab someone.

If you can't deflect an attack, then don't let that attack happen.
Oct 9, 2016 6:29 PM

Jun 2008
Kryptiq said:
Was expecting Utena to finally lose there, that bastard Touga had everything stacked against her with all his mind games.

He would use the "I was your prince" tactic. I'm thinking that Utena's flashbacks has the prince being much older. Touga is only 3. I don't Utena was smart enough to pick that up...but then this is fiction and the writer and make her not that smart at times.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

May 31, 2017 3:55 AM

Nov 2011
Utena continues to be interesting.

This episode confronted Utena with the question of whether she really wants to be the prince who saves the princess, or whether she hersef wants to be the princess. She wasn't sure herself because, I believe, she wants both. The issue is the assumption that "the princess" can't do anything-- she's assuming that by "being the princess", she has to be how Anthy appears to be... which is utter rubbish and pretty hypocritical on Utena's part since she's constantly trying to convince Anthy to be her own person.

As for Anthy, I do wonder how emotionless/will-less she actually is. Was her expression of seeking individuality merely responding to Utena's wishes as the champion duelist, a genuine expression, or a provocation to give Utena a reason to fight (like she has done with every other duelist)? Her true nature is still a mystery.

I'm obviously still curious about what Touga's true motives are. We might find out soon now that he's the champion. It will likely be harder for Utena to win a rematch since she won't have the Power of Dios to aid her anymore. That was how she won every match after the first, and how she would have won this one had she not hesitated.
Jun 14, 2017 7:59 PM

Dec 2014
I saw something like this coming but it was still so exciting to watch.
Aug 9, 2017 10:03 AM

Apr 2015
Touga could easily not be Utena's prince still. He didn't really say anything to her that made it an absolute definite (the fact that she was crying when they met could have simply been a lucky guess) - if anything, I think he might've been trying to get in her head so she'd lose the duel! Manipulative bastard.

And is Anthy an emotionless robot who can be programmed according to whoever she's engaged to, or did Utena bring out her true personality that no one else will let her have? So many questions...
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 11, 2017 6:58 AM
Aug 2014
Utena was rather pathetic this episode, she stopped functioning at just the mention of her "prince". Hope they don't drag that out too long.

I'd be very surprised if Touga turns out the be the prince.
Sep 7, 2017 8:10 AM

Jun 2013
It's unlikely that Touga is the Prince. The Prince looks exactly like Dios, which suggests that they're one and the same, so why would Touga need to steal the power of Dios if he were already him? Not to mention that it's been pretty clear to us that he's been manipulating Tenjou, shutting down her fighting spirit by claiming to be the Prince she's been waiting to meet.

I think Anthy has some level of free will, but obviously she will answer direct questions in the way her Master wants. For example, when Tenjou asked her if she hated being the Rose Bride, she recognized the loaded question, and naturally she accepted it as a command from her master, so we can't know what she really thinks about that. However, the most solid evidence we have on the subject of her loyalty to Tenjou, was the moment in the very first episode, where she wished Tenjou good luck. She was definitely not ordered to do that, and Saionji even slapped her for it. Not to mention that she went out of her way to please Tenjou in various ways, even though the latter kept telling her to stop being weird. So my guess is that she did not have a choice in following Tenjou's orders, but she still likes her. At the end of the day though, it's still very ambiguous, where her true personality ends and her "programming" begins.

TripleSRank said:
This episode confronted Utena with the question of whether she really wants to be the prince who saves the princess, or whether she hersef wants to be the princess. She wasn't sure herself because, I believe, she wants both. The issue is the assumption that "the princess" can't do anything-- she's assuming that by "being the princess", she has to be how Anthy appears to be... which is utter rubbish and pretty hypocritical on Utena's part since she's constantly trying to convince Anthy to be her own person.

Jan 2, 2018 2:23 PM

Jan 2017
Man, has she lost her memories or what?! Can't see that prince looks kinda similar to Anthy? Same skin color, same hair color, short hair etc.

How can she be fooled like that? Besides, one minute she was screaming at Touga asking for him to leave Anthy alone and then three seconds later she calls him 'my prince' just bc he says he is, how stupid can you be?

She's getting on my nerves at this point.

So Utena what do you wanna be? Wanna save yourself? save others?
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Feb 25, 2018 10:22 AM

Mar 2012
Anthy is really annoying, doesn't she have any will of her own!? I had heard a lot about this anime but everything so far has been really dumb and annoying.
Mar 5, 2018 1:19 PM

Jul 2016

This episode, basically.

Also, Utena is going be wearing the girls' uniform next episode and it looks so baaaad on her.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Apr 5, 2018 2:25 PM

Nov 2016
It was a matter of time before Utena would have to face her first loss,but still sad to see her like that.

Wonder what's Anthys true nature and what Touga want to achieve.

Great episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 4, 2018 5:49 PM

Oct 2014
KannoSugako said:
Man, has she lost her memories or what?! Can't see that prince looks kinda similar to Anthy? Same skin color, same hair color, short hair etc.

How can she be fooled like that? Besides, one minute she was screaming at Touga asking for him to leave Anthy alone and then three seconds later she calls him 'my prince' just bc he says he is, how stupid can you be?

She's getting on my nerves at this point.

So Utena what do you wanna be? Wanna save yourself? save others?

Yeah you're right Prince is Anthy. Why no one mentions that? it's obvious.
Anthy doesn't even care about Utena she was just following her orders.
Dec 4, 2018 12:08 PM

May 2010
Expected Utena to lose eventually, the thing I'm wondering about - what's Anthy's real face, and which self is she faking? Can't tell right now.
May 9, 2019 3:00 AM

Aug 2017
Regarding the baloons:
They obviously represent the characters who wear the rose ring with their colors. They loud clap is probably the baloons popping, which might mean the loss of trust among the characters after Touga's reveal of his cold plans about Nanami's duel. However, there's a strange detail there, too: the violet balloon. Does it represent Himemiya? Or the prince? How does this relate to everything else?

Regarding the student council meetings and the elevator speech:

The elevator speech: "If it cannot hatch from its shell, the chick will die without ever truly being born. We are the chick; the world is our egg. If we don't break the world's shell, we will die without truly being born. Smash the world's shell, for the Revolution of the World." It seems to be a reference to "Demian: The Story of Emil Sinclair's Youth" by Hermann Hesse.

The quote from Demian: "The bird struggles out of the egg. The egg is the world. Who would be born must first destroy a world. The bird then flies to God. That God's name is Abraxas."

Abraxas is some kind of a gnostic deity commonly represented as a man with a chicken head inside an egg. And you know what? I don't understand what the heck this might mean :D
This show seems to like symbolism even more than Evangelion. I wonder if it's just a beautiful method to convey a simple narrative (which is the case with eva).

I'm really worried to take a wrong path here, it's very easy when dealing with symbolism. However, I want to point out that in Thomas More's novel "Utopia" the island of "Utopia" was formerly called "Abraxa". Sounds similar to Abraxas, right? Is the revolution they want a promised utopia? But the meaning of utopia is literally "nowhere", it's out of reach. Maybe the flying castle is their utopia island?

P.S. Himemiya is also like a bird in a cage (or a chick in the egg), so does this whole "breaking the egg" thing mean setting Himemiya free? But free of what? Some kind of curse? It might be, actually. The shadow princesses were referencing the legend of William Tell, which might mean that the whole "we must fight in duels for the princess" thing is actually a curse and it's possible to break it. How? The princess with the apple (who follows her "father's" orders, just like the Rose Bride follows the orders of her "owner") says that some prince is supposed to be able "to cancel" all that, to which the "father" princess responds with anger and tells her "son" to stop. Soooooo...Himemiya is connected to Dios (which means "God" in Spanish), who's the prince able of breaking the curse, and Himemiya stores his powers inside her, and these powers need to be unleashed in order to break the curse, otherwise the duellists are doomed to fight for Himemiya forever. But can't they just take the rings off?

Screw that, actually. I don't understand a thing. Will rethink this later. I shouldn't be speculating SO MUCH without even finishing the first half of the show.

St0rmbladeMay 9, 2019 3:32 AM
May 27, 2020 4:48 PM

Jul 2009
Utena losing the duel. Touga really manipulated her and did her dirty.

I truly hope the power of dios will appear once more!! Utena will not give up on this!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Mar 27, 2008

91 by SashaTB »»
Jun 1, 1:41 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

145 by MFDOOMED »»
May 30, 4:59 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

92 by BreadKingBread »»
May 30, 11:50 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kotori - Jan 23, 2009

202 by Fafette »»
May 23, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Mar 27, 2008

73 by GarfYouCant »»
May 23, 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.