Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 1, 2020 7:31 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
First episode is up now on Crunchyroll.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/tower-of-god/episode-1-ball-794519

Opening song of the Japanese version

Looks like first episode is called "Ball" and it starts out with a girl saying that she will climb the tower before she disappears. A strange creatured named Headon (caretaker of the tower apparently) introduced himself and we got the main premise going.

I think the design of the tower looks fascinating with the unique art style. And interestingly enough, the MC is thrown into a setting with rules and mysterious creatures. Pretty interesting start imo. Kevin Penkin is also doing the soundtracks for this show and it's fantastic.
Stark700Apr 1, 2020 7:54 AM
Apr 1, 2020 7:42 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Jesus christ that opening is lame and weird for this kind of anime.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 1, 2020 7:52 AM
Dec 2014
Animation looks blind and very cheap
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2020 7:53 AM

Jul 2017
Pretty mediocre so far...
Apr 1, 2020 7:58 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
It was a nice first episode. Slightly fast pacing but definitely not wasting time or boring. I already like all the characters.
Apr 1, 2020 7:58 AM

Feb 2019
LETS GOOO, As much as CR been pushing this down our throats on twitter and Facebook for the past month this better be amazing. They haven’t even mentioned any of their other spring lineup.

That OP, damnnn maybe if you stanned stray kids..

This art style and cinematography is absolutely stunning

Yuri looks amazing.

This entire episode was gas omg🔥 🔥 . One of the best first eps I’ve seen. if they keep this up all the way through, it’ll be AOTY contender for sure

ED is a bop too 🔥
Apr 1, 2020 7:59 AM

Jul 2017
the animation is actually pretty good, didn't think it would be.
Feb 2018
In my opinion, that was amazing. It was true to the original. Some may say the art looks different but having read the source material, it fits perfectly. It only keeps getting better. OP and ED was unusual for an anime but the ost has been great so far.
Dec 2019
Wow, people sure are reacting negatively.

I liked this one. I like the art style, but tbh Bam is too much of an absolute CHAD.
Apr 1, 2020 8:01 AM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
I definitely enjoyed being thrown into the story blind. It did a great job of making it clear that we really don't know what's going on yet without leaving us feeling confused. The art style reminded me of Shin Sekai Yori.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Apr 1, 2020 8:07 AM

Mar 2015
I'm not so sure about the art style, but it looks different for once, so I will take it.

The story looks kinda intriguing, hoping it leads to somewhere reasonably good.
lezermanApr 1, 2020 8:11 AM
Apr 1, 2020 8:09 AM

Oct 2017
Well this was so so I guess. The story was rushed and they skipped some details and above all they skipped Yuri and Evan's entire conversation ffs. They even changed black march into a sword which was a needle in the webtoon.

The visuals were good and the animation too. The op and ed were okay but the visuals in the op were lit. Well they might have skipped some stuff and rushed this but I'm still looking forward to the rest of this season.
MegamiRemApr 14, 2020 10:49 PM
Apr 1, 2020 8:10 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
I remember dropping ToG very early because of how bad it was. Let's see if it's anime adaptation can sway my opinion.

2/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Apr 1, 2020 8:12 AM
Jun 2017
Overall, I enjoyed the episode though I’m not sure how much of that is just because of how hyped I was for it / the love I have for the source material. The art style is pretty faithful to the source which I have mixed feelings about (love the original art but it feels a bit odd in an anime). OP and ED were unusual but I definitely enjoyed them.

They cut out some stuff that I felt was important (e.g., Yuri and Evan's conversation before they appear as well as some of the conversation after they meet Bam, both of which emphasize the significance and rarity of Irregulars) and some minor things that just helps develop the characters more (e.g., that Headon was supposed to give Bam a Pocket but "forgot"). Overall, they seem to have cut out a decent portion of the exposition and development of the setting which contributes to the episode feeling a bit rushed.

Still, I'm looking forward to episode two!

P.S. Khun is best girl.
Azaroth_of_DaleApr 1, 2020 8:59 AM
Apr 1, 2020 8:17 AM
Oct 2016
Well that was an interesting start to this show. Setup the dynamic with Rachel and Bam. He seemed super dependent on her in a genuinely unhealthy way. I'm sure that'll be a thing later. should make for an interesting reunion when he finally gets back to her. Headon was super creepy, that crazy smile he'd make and almost like he enjoyed the suffering Bam took on facing the eel. Speaking of that was a very intense test he had to face. Overcoming the fear of death being the first requirement to climbing makes sense. Princess Yuri is a cool lady. Glad she gave Bam that sword and seemed over all helpful. This episode really pulled me in when Bam got to the second test the battle royale cut the numbers in half. That's some edge of my seat type stuff. Had my hairs stand up seeing the guest crocodile pop up next to Bam.
Apr 1, 2020 8:19 AM

Jan 2018
OP was pretty meh tbh. The art looked like a mix of a comic style fused with Shinsekai Yori, which was different. We'll see how this goes.
What a beautiful Duwang
Apr 1, 2020 8:19 AM

Jun 2015
opening was weird, they didn't even try to incorporate the credits into the visuals yikes
but I love the way they translated the character designs into animation, it was pretty smooth for the most part too
(also nobuhiko okamoto as khun was 💯💯)
kinda worried about pacing tho, really hope they get through everything in the first season without rushing too much

fingers crossed! I really want this to turn out well, I've been waiting for too long
Apr 1, 2020 8:23 AM

Jul 2015
I didn't see anything worth of the praise yet. I will give 3 eps.

Apr 1, 2020 8:26 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Art is a bit weird but I already love the concept with the tower, death game and stages to climb.
Apr 1, 2020 8:29 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Alright, I actually watched the first episode now and ... it was alright. A little enjoyable but so far it certainly doesn't live up to the godlike hype that the manhwa readers have given this. It felt pretty fast. At least it's good enough to at least try the 3 episodes rule.

I had a good chuckle when the sword told Yuri that it's because she's a woman that she didn't want to lend her power to her.

OP still pretty fucking lame tho and I hope the visuals change for something more fitting.

DatRandomDudeApr 1, 2020 8:32 AM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 1, 2020 8:30 AM

Jan 2020
This episode was very good except that it was kinda rushed, noticed they skipped out the parts with evan and Jahad talking, also we get to see bam getting the black march and rachel going ahead of him in the tower, we also got to see the introduction of khun and rak as well, there's a feeling though this may be a rushed adaptation, also I loved the part where the black march basically called jahad ha yuri a thot
KatoWorksApr 1, 2020 8:45 AM
Apr 1, 2020 8:31 AM
Sep 2015
Webtoon storytelling mechanism really work in different way than manga after all. I don't say 'Korean cartoon' because Dr. Stone which is written by Korean author is similar to normal manga.

First test, I though the ball can also be broken if he trick eel into eating that ball, but I guess it's sword power showtime.

Second test, since he's non-regular there's no reason for regular to kill him? Or they don't know, or they don't care.
Apr 1, 2020 8:33 AM

Jan 2014
I don't mind the art style at all. It's different.

Seems like one of those shows that has an interesting setting for sure. Along with the feeling of what will happen during the Tower climb.

Gonna keep watching for sure.
Apr 1, 2020 8:37 AM

Jan 2015
Oh no no what is this? A cliffhanger in the first episode? Lame

Anyway, good episode I guess, but not impressed
Apr 1, 2020 8:40 AM
Apr 2017
many see that they are complaining not only about the graphics here and that they have cut content but you are better off enjoying having anime
Apr 1, 2020 8:41 AM

Nov 2016
Wouldn't say I'm 100% hooked, but it was nonetheless a nice start.

While the style is not exactly straight up my alley, I dig the mysterious vibe and in addition the prospect of all the challenges the protagonist will have to face. This makes it overall promising enough.

Second floor test also reminds me Hunter/ Chuunin or Hunger games. I like these kind of survival games, yet it kinda seems too fast paced for my taste and so was the whole episode.

Well, let's see how this will go.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 1, 2020 8:45 AM

May 2015
AdrianRubinsky said:
I didn't see anything worth of the praise yet. I will give 3 eps.

Probably because what people praise isn't the beginning.

Apr 1, 2020 8:46 AM

Oct 2015
Non-regular is such an awful term compared to irregular. Why did they change that when they showed irregular in the trailer... Irregular just sound infinitely better and cooler.
Apr 1, 2020 8:49 AM
Mar 2016
Unpopular opinion here. Not trying to be a dick but I'm honestly disappointed with the adaptation so far. I don't really care about the art, but I hate how they cut so much interesting stuff just in order to fit the 24-minute timeslot. I'm usually not the type to complain whenever an anime cut some panels of the adaptation, but this time it is too much as it ruins the story, at least to me. The pacing is too fast, way too fast that they ended up cutting so many great lines and interesting information. They even cut one of Khun's badass lines:

I also hate how they make Evan and Yuri appear out of nowhere and cut most of their monologues. Sorry if there are so many grammar errors in my comment, English is not my first language
Apr 1, 2020 8:51 AM

Sep 2010
Well, after seeing the trailer my expectations were already set so I guess, there it is.
I'm not sure how well can this first episode capture the new audience though.

Pure rant mode though.
This is one of worst openings I seen in a long time. Rather than opening, it felt more like credits instead. Whoever made it, rather than making opening was far more interested in putting out the names of people who made the anime. Not that there is anything to brag about, since the great story that is TOG deserved far better.
Apr 1, 2020 8:54 AM

Jan 2018
DA_Rialdo said:
Unpopular opinion here. Not trying to be a dick but I'm honestly disappointed with the adaptation so far. I don't really care about the art, but I hate how they cut so much interesting stuff just in order to fit the 24-minute timeslot. I'm usually not the type to complain whenever an anime cut some panels of the adaptation, but this time it is too much as it ruins the story, at least to me. The pacing is too fast, way too fast that they ended up cutting so many great lines and interesting information. They even cut one of Khun's badass lines:

I also hate how they make Evan and Yuri appear out of nowhere and cut most of their monologues. Sorry if there are so many grammar errors in my comment, English is not my first language

Obviously they're trying to fit the whole season 1 of the manhwa what ever the listed no. of episodes they're given with. If it's only 13 episodes then it is expected to be fast paced. I think the episode delivered well and introduce some interesting lore. tbh season 1 of the webtoon was slow paced and didn't started to kick in until season 2.

Apr 1, 2020 8:55 AM

Nov 2016
1Kyo said:
FMmatron said:
Second floor test also reminds me Hunter/ Chuunin or Hunger games. I like these kind of survival games, yet it kinda seems too fast paced for my taste and so was the whole episode.

Well, let's see how this will go.

The first season of ToG really does feel a lot like Hunter and Chuunin Examen, so you're probably going to enjoy that. The pacing is unfortunately going to stay that fast though, and is going to get even faster.

I see, thanks for the heads up.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 1, 2020 8:57 AM

Jan 2016
A quick few notes to anime onlys:

• The art is the way it is because the art wasn't very good at the start of ToG. It becomes amazing later on but the art direction in this season is the way it is to stay true to the webtoon
  • Please try to stay off internet discussions and youtube videos as much as possible because a lot of people are spoiling certain things that will have a shock factor later on in the season unless you got spoiled
  • Don't expect this to be "HYPE ASF" right now. ToG is known mostly for its amazing world-building, battle system and how the characters progress. This will only cover the very first arc, it's a bit like how the hunter exam arc from HxH 2011 is amazing and all but it's not the very best that the series has to offer by a long shot

A problem that many people have nowadays that they build up this "fake" image of what the anime is gonna be about because of high expectations and all, which in most cases leads to them being disappointed.

Try to enjoy for what it is and of course, it's alright to not like something because not everything is your cup of tea

Have fun turtles!
FireFistYKApr 1, 2020 9:01 AM
Apr 1, 2020 8:57 AM

Jun 2008
don't know what to think of this yet, seems like a pretty average shonen
Apr 1, 2020 8:58 AM

Jan 2018
eso18 said:
Well, after seeing the trailer my expectations were already set so I guess, there it is.
I'm not sure how well can this first episode capture the new audience though.

Pure rant mode though.
This is one of worst openings I seen in a long time. Rather than opening, it felt more like credits instead. Whoever made it, rather than making opening was far more interested in putting out the names of people who made the anime. Not that there is anything to brag about, since the great story that is TOG deserved far better.

some says that it's gonna be updated bit by bit as the episode goes on

Aug 2013
Anime-wise I think it's an okay episode. I liked the animation style and music. However, I think they cut (or rearranged) many details. Some are to be expected, but others I really didn't understand why they changed.

I mean, for me, it doesn't appear that Baam opened the door of the Tower by himself. He just got sucked into it. Also, he doesn't say he will follow Rachel wherever she goes. Initially, he just stays behind.
Apr 2019
Surprisingly good, they managed to adapt the webcomic atrocious art into something that comes off quite low-fi and authentic while preserving its look. The soundtrack is very well utilized as well. Personally i believe this first season of the webcomic is irredeemably bad and yet this seems to have solved alot of it.
7/10 so far
Apr 1, 2020 9:03 AM
Aug 2018
Is it supposed to be this fast? I really hope it slows down a little, so I’m giving it a 6/10 for now. It’s giving me too much in a short amount of time (which I am usually good with). I also haven’t read the manhua so I don’t know if it’s supposed to be this fast.
tem134Apr 1, 2020 9:06 AM
Apr 1, 2020 9:05 AM
Mar 2019
The animation looks cheap at times but I can definitely tell this Anime has a lot of potential. It is too early to give it a score or anything yet. But I really want to see how this plays out.
Apr 1, 2020 9:05 AM

May 2015
i like the art and animation,i really hope they don't skip much,the soundtrack is good.
Apr 1, 2020 9:07 AM
Apr 2016
This jiraiya's voice actor, i can't stop thinking of anyone or else(who has the same voice actor as him) except jiraiya.
Apr 1, 2020 9:08 AM

Nov 2018
Probably the worst oppening and ending i have ever heard and seeing...sounds like that bts garbage my sister likes to listen to. The artstyle is a bit weird, but just because its faithfull to the webcomic, i think people will easily get used to it, the pacing was not that great, but it wasnt that great at the start in the comic either.

Bam is still the same wimp i remenber him being at the beggining lol, may the story of mighty Rak and his turtles begin.
Apr 1, 2020 9:11 AM

Sep 2017
it was okay, really decent but not that amazing tbh (maybe it felt rushed)

the ost was great tho
Apr 1, 2020 9:11 AM

Aug 2013
tem134 said:
Is it supposed to be this fast? I really hope it slows down a little, so I’m giving it a 6/10 for now. It’s giving me too much in a short amount of time (which I am usually good with). I also haven’t read the manhua so I don’t know if it’s supposed to be this fast.

As others are saying, they are compacting 79 chapters into 13 episodes. So.....yeah, i don't think they will slow down.
Apr 1, 2020 9:13 AM

Dec 2018
I really liked this first episode, I don't get the sense of all this negativity tbh
Apr 1, 2020 9:14 AM
Jul 2018
the plot and graphics is not good like aot or psycho pass even its 2020 new anime
Apr 1, 2020 9:16 AM

Dec 2016
Can't say I'm impressed with this first episode.

Sure, it looks gorgeous in some of the scenes that barely depicts this strange world, but the narrative goes 100 miles an hour in order for me to get a grasp of who are these new characters and why should I care for any of them.

There's no point of reference regarding Rachel & Bam on how they make the day to day life before Rachel all of a sudden decided to climb this famous tower I just heard of 2 mins ago in a quick infodump. To me, the point of origin of a character or cast of characters is quite important when it comes to Fantasy & Adventure titles. The small flashback of Rachel & Bam meeting up while Bam was climbing a pile of rocks doesn't say much of where they actually live.

Yuri & Evan introduction also just pops out of thin air. She claims that she's a princess, but how would I know or care if she really is one, when I'm not seeing anything that provides her of that title. Bam doesn't look anything outside the ordinary kid that plays the role of "the chosen one" with thicker plot armor than the scales of that giant Eel. He manages to wield a sword that had hidden power that not even the rightful owner could unlock, yet he manages to pull them out just because he's a handsome guy???

I'll keep watching a few more episodes in order to see if it slows down and/or something that piques my interest comes up.

Apr 2018
I didn't expect much from this adaptation so yeah i was able to enjoy the first episode despite of how fast the pace is. Knowing it has good ost and decent animation (no crappy CGi) is good enough for me.

May 2013
I need to say it turtles. It seems to me that the adaptation is going very well at the moment.

Apr 2015
Looks interesting, I read a few chapters of Tower of God a long time ago and I remembered some parts that were presented here.

Personally, this seems promising, I will just wait and see if it gets better from here. Animation is unique and decent directing.

Hunger Games vibes towards the end.

4/5
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SingleH - Jun 24, 2020

460 by YagoPRO123 »»
May 18, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2020

336 by Ratris_Decision »»
Apr 19, 1:10 AM

» Is Tower of God Worth Watching or Reading?

Cherish-Life - Mar 14

16 by Madhukar13g »»
Mar 27, 11:02 PM

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jun 17, 2020

456 by Kira_ga_Kiru »»
Feb 23, 11:55 AM

» One of the worst adaptations ever

Leon888 - Nov 21, 2023

41 by Leon888 »»
Nov 28, 2023 1:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.