Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 3, 2018 8:38 AM

Feb 2015
So I've watched some UC Gundams, I watched the original and Zeta and some side stories, but I don't really want to start with ZZ yet, because I heard it's one of the worst Gundams. So I figured, why not give some of the non-UC series a chance? The 3 biggest ones, seem to be Wing, Seed and 00, but I only want to want one of these for now, because they're all pretty long. The opinions on these 3 shows differ quite a bit and they seem to be pretty hated by UC fans. I was told by someone that Seed is the closest to Zeta (which is my favorite), but since it's so hated, I'm pretty conflicted.

I know there are many other (and probably better) Gundams out there, but I want to save these for later.
AshitaNoJonasMar 18, 2018 9:33 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 3, 2018 8:53 AM

Feb 2013
seed cuzz that one sold most dvd on someanithing
Mar 3, 2018 8:53 AM

Feb 2015
Iron-Blooded Orphans is the best of any Gundam series... Truly a masterpiece... None of the others compare... (Japan considers it one of the best all time anime)

Otherwise... 00 is second best... the rest aren't really worth it
Mar 3, 2018 8:58 AM

Feb 2015
Nyah_Chan said:
Iron-Blooded Orphans is the best of any Gundam series... Truly a masterpiece... None of the others compare... (Japan considers it one of the best all time anime)

...but you haven't seen anything else besides IBO and 00?
Mar 3, 2018 9:03 AM
Oct 2017
best gundam is probably darling in the franxx i love zero two
Mar 3, 2018 9:04 AM

Feb 2016
I had seen Seed and it was pretty good, the the soundtrack is amazing also... watch it (note: I haven't seen 00 or Wing yet)
Mar 3, 2018 9:06 AM
Aug 2010
Nyah_Chan said:

The first season, yes, really amazing.

Second season, a massive clusterfuck that ruined the whole experience.
Mar 3, 2018 9:08 AM

Apr 2017
obviously the best gundam is SD Gundam Force
Mar 3, 2018 9:12 AM

May 2015
Turn A Gundam

Watch SEED, then SEED Destiny, and finally watch the objectively best one of all:
Mar 3, 2018 9:18 AM

Feb 2015
JonasTheJay said:
Nyah_Chan said:

...but you haven't seen anything else besides IBO and 00?

I have but just random episodes with friends so I don't bother to add it to my list...
Mar 3, 2018 9:19 AM

Feb 2015
Hans_0819 said:
Nyah_Chan said:

Which series? Iron or 00?...

If you're talking about Iron... I disagree... Matter of perspective and opinion I guess
If 00... I agree... Season 2 went wierd
Mar 3, 2018 9:54 AM

Nov 2017
Cant really say which is the best since its been ages, so I'll list whats good about each of them here

Wing: Goes by the rule of cool over everything else

Seed: Kinda similar to the mainline UC ones (a bit too similar as some would say), arguably has the best soundtrack of the entire franchise & pretty cool mech designs

00: Interesting political themes & imo the best Gundam designs of the bunch
Mar 3, 2018 9:58 AM

Mar 2017
build fighters

FITE ME

...don't count try though, its garbage
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Mar 3, 2018 9:59 AM

Jun 2017
You should watch 0080: War in the Pocket , I've only heard good things about it...

Mar 3, 2018 10:13 AM

Feb 2015
Tarotist said:
Turn A Gundam

Watch SEED, then SEED Destiny, and finally watch the objectively best one of all:

I saw 9 episodes of Turn A and thought it was pretty sweet, but I wanted to save that for later. I heard you appreciate that one way more, if you've seen more entries in UC timeline.
Mar 3, 2018 10:18 AM

Feb 2015
Jare4lopez said:
You should watch 0080: War in the Pocket , I've only heard good things about it...

I already have! It was pretty cool. :)
Mar 3, 2018 10:20 AM

Feb 2015
I've not seen Wing or 00, but I loved Seed, so that's where my vote will go to.
Mar 3, 2018 10:32 AM

Jun 2015
Been a while since watches; I need to relook at them before ordering.

War in the Pocket was my favorite, Wing for nostalgia.

Mar 3, 2018 10:50 AM

Feb 2015
Turtles_Hunter said:
JonasTheJay said:
So I've watched some UC Gundams, I watched the original and Zeta and some side stories, but I don't really want to start with ZZ yet, because I heard it's one of the worst Gundams. So I figured, why not give some of the non-UC series a chance? The 3 biggest ones, seem to be Wing, Seed and 00, but I only want to want one of these for now, because they're all pretty long. The opinions on these 3 shows differ quite a bit and they seem to be pretty hated by UC fans. I was told by someone that Seed is the closest to Zeta (which is my favorite), but since it's so hated, I'm pretty conflicted.

I know there are many other (and probably better) Gundams out there, but I want to save these for later.
Wing is mainly known because it was the first gundam series to have a tv diffusion in the west. One of it's worst flaw is that they tried to put in a 50 episode shows the equivalent content of MSG, Zeta and CCA. The pacing is often very weird, people change of side every 5 episodes. It's not bad, but not the best.

SEED is really good until episode 36 if you can stand the charac design. But it's basically a remake of MSG. With a last segment not that good, MC becomes a living deus ex machina for the last 14 episodes. Still worth the watch.

00 is the better choice to me. season 2 is alittle lesss good than season 1, but overall, It's really good. It's basically the same concept as Wing but with a slightly different developpment.

And the late IBO is also worth it. Season 1 has a pretty weak middle segment, but season 2 is good. And it tried new things, which is really good, because most stand alone are remakes in desguise.

Easily the most helpful answer so far. Thanks ^^ I think I'm gonna skip over Wing for now, even though that looks the coolest to me (in terms of artstyle etc).
Mar 3, 2018 11:40 AM
Aug 2010
Nyah_Chan said:
Hans_0819 said:

If you're talking about Iron... I disagree... Matter of perspective and opinion I guess

Now that you mention it, probably both of them (Originally, I was refering to Iron-blooded orphans)

The first season of Iron-blooded was almost perfect, but then they fucked it up, especially the last chapters of the season, I had to force myself to watched it as I had wasted so many hours in it already.

00 second season was bad (especially the movie) but not as bad as Iron-blooded orphans.

But as you said, everything is a matter of opinions, so it's fine if you think otherwise.
Mar 3, 2018 12:19 PM

Aug 2013
Out of those three Seed wins easily. The momentum built up by the first season of 00 was pissed down the drain with season two, and its cavalcade of disappointment. Wing was forgettable for me, littered with an assortment of bland character. And despite having one of the better Char clones, even he wasn't enough. Seed is like a skeletal recreation of the original series, born of a similar build and hits a lot of the same story beats. Kinda tappers off somewhere along the way, but manages to end fairly strong. Oh and if you are going to watch Seed, try and track down the HD remaster, the apparent definitive way to experience the series.
Mar 3, 2018 12:29 PM

Apr 2016
TBH, I feel that none of these are particularly worth your time for specific reasons

00: Sure, the first season is decent, despite how much it dips past the 3/5 mark, but the second season is an intolerable, preachy mess that manages to obliterate nearly the entire cast (as in they all suck now) and make less sense than Destiny. Plus, the movie is laughably dumb sometimes and just as preachy about the "no violence, let's use understanding" bs that got carried over from SEED.

SEED: Aside from having hands down the worst visuals in the franchise (ugly character art, hideous CGI, obscene levels of reused animation), SEED and Destiny are the most derivative sources in Gundam, with their only competition being 00 S2 often copying Zeta Gundam's final 7 episodes. The protagonist is an insufferable hypocrite who is never wrong according to anyone, especially in Destiny, Destiny manages to destroy some characters and make others repeat Re same character arcs they did in SEED, and Destiny, especially towards the beginning andend, play out incredibly similar to how SEED did, meaning it copied its predecessor.

Wing: I dropped it 14 episodes in so I can only go off of them. However, frequent reused animation, boring and asinine characters, Relena in and of herself, the laughable stupidity and sheer gaps in how anything happens or makes sense, some incredibly idiotic character decisions, and the fact that it becomes insanely boring once the laughter is over, made me stop caring.

Out of all of these, while 00 Second Season is the worst of the bunch as far as I'm concerned (thought SEED Destiny and Wing come pretty close, and none of these here are as bad as ZZ or Twilight Axis), I'd have to say that the Cosmic Era timeline (SEED and Destiny and Stsrgazer) is the worst (I cannot count Wing's timeline due to reasons above) simply because it had the worst visuals and does a better job exemplifying the worst aspects of Gundam than any other timeline, even Post-Zeta UC and Post-00 Anno Domini.
CodeBlazeFateMar 3, 2018 12:34 PM
Mar 3, 2018 1:50 PM

Jul 2012
I haven't seen 00 but between Seed and Wing I would vote Seed. But for your scenario Wing or 00 might be the better options unless you plan to watch Seed Destiny which is probably the notably more hated season.

I would also disagree with the ZZ statement i would also guess it's because ZZ has a notable tone shift from Zeta is why it's more disliked. In that it's much more laid back and tries to be a bit more comedy focused at least for the first like 15 episodes. But it's a pretty worthwhile series overall.

Edit: Granted reading through the replies people seem to not hate Turn-A and I thought that was easily the worst Gundam I've seen and was painful to sit through excluding like SD Gundam which was a kids show to sell toys.
GamerDLMMar 3, 2018 1:55 PM
Mar 3, 2018 2:32 PM

Feb 2015
Hans_0819 said:
Nyah_Chan said:

Now that you mention it, probably both of them (Originally, I was refering to Iron-blooded orphans)

The first season of Iron-blooded was almost perfect, but then they fucked it up, especially the last chapters of the season, I had to force myself to watched it as I had wasted so many hours in it already.

00 second season was bad (especially the movie) but not as bad as Iron-blooded orphans.

But as you said, everything is a matter of opinions, so it's fine if you think otherwise.

I didn't watch 00 movie since it was clearly profit based...

Yeah we'll agree to disagree on Iron-Blooded season 2
Mar 3, 2018 2:53 PM

Feb 2010
You could also watch some of the UC side story OVAs. War in the Pocket and 8th MS Team are both pretty fantastic.

For the ones in your poll you picked 3 of the ones I haven't seen yet but I can tell you that based on reputation and clips I've seen I'M never gonna watch SEED and Wing, but 00 seems to be a decent choice and something I'll definitely watch in the future.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 3, 2018 3:06 PM

Jan 2018
I am slowly re-watching seed, and I think you should be able to enjoy it too since you are into mecha genre.
Mar 3, 2018 3:08 PM

Jan 2014
War In The Pocket is the best.
Followed by the first series.
Between these i choose SEED.
Mar 4, 2018 5:29 AM

Jul 2017
I can't really say since I only watched Gundam 00 out of all these options since SEED and Wing didn't really interest me enough like 00 did. And I loved BOTH seasons of 00. The movie was meh but I still liked it overall. So, 00 for me. You should give all of them a try though. Even the other Gundams too.
Mikura39Mar 4, 2018 5:34 AM

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Mar 4, 2018 6:21 AM

Aug 2015
I wouldn't say that ZZ is the worst Gundam series...

I would rather watch ZZ than Wing. While it is true that in the end it adds almost nothing to the UC universe I think that if you are a fan of the UC timeline it is not a waste of time.

If I am online it means I am not doing my maths homework. Plz don't tell my mom
Mar 4, 2018 6:24 AM

Feb 2016
To be honest none of them.

Wing: One of the most boring mecha shows I have ever seen that is filled with garbage pacing, laughable English dub, contrived plot that makes no sense at all, piss poor character minus Duo who is the saving grace of Wing. Not to mention it has so much stock footage to a point where it's becomes disgusting.

Seed: I use to love it as a kid but now I consider it to be one of the worst Gundam shows from the franchise. Seed S1 is meh but Destiny is broken garbage that features some of the worst writing and production values I have seen in an anime.
Least Macross 7 was fun and entertaining despite its shortcomings.
The plot was horrible filled with plot holes and contrived shit. Thanks to the flashback getting abused the pacing of the Seed series is broken beyond belief. All the characters are terrible especially Shin and Jesus Yamato who are annoying dipshits.
Seed and especially fucking Destiny has more stock footage than Scooby-Doo
The only good thing from that shit series is the music other than avoiding Seed and especially Destiny like the plauge.

00: S1 is pretty good but S2 completely ruined everything to a point where I think it's worse than CG R2 in terms of character and writing.
So much plot holes, the show became really silly in the end and most of the characters that were good in Season 1 become downright unlikeable.

The best one in this list is 00 but I personally recommend you checking out other Gundam shows like Gundam X, any show from the U.C Gundam timeline, Build Fighters, and G Gundam instead.
Alternatively, you can check out the Macross franchise instead.
BlazingArataApr 18, 2018 2:32 PM
Mar 4, 2018 6:30 AM

Oct 2015
00 then SEED (original only, ditch Destiny) and Build Fighters (original, ditch Try too)
Mar 4, 2018 8:17 AM

Apr 2017
ok, serious answer out of everything from 1987 to 1992
Zeta>Char's Counterattack>Stardust Memory (literally Top Gun)>War in the Pocket>ZZ>0079>F91
don't watch F91, it's a total mess where they tried to cram a full season into a 2 hour movie
haven't seen anything past that, but I've heard very good things about G Gundam
Mar 4, 2018 8:51 AM

Dec 2015
Aber... Aber... WIESO?! q_p

You loved Zeta's amped up "soapiness" (compared to 0079) ? You'll absolutely adore SEED who turned the soap-opera element up to 10^9 and focused even more on teenies (and those teenagers are the kind that are very hard to get, unlike Camille no matter how dislikable he can be to some people). Plus, it tried to "modernize" (I hate this word because it always implies that the previous work not being from our times makes it less relevant than before or more useless) 0079/Zeta.

(und ja, Turn A ist super als Epilogue für das UC Kalendar)
(und nein, ZZ Gundam ist nicht das schlimmste Ding, die es Gundam genannt ist)
(und 00 = Aktion Jungz Gundam Edition = Wing mit die Fahigkeite seine Aktion Ambitione zu erfüllen, mann muss nur kein Erwartung über Politik oder Krieg Thema haben, obwohl die Situation interessant sein könntet)
(und Wing... kein Kommentar. Doch: nicht schauen, bevor die erste UC Saga enden. Damit CCA sein bestes geben wird)

edit @JonasTheJay Ich habe verstanden, es war nur eine WItz. Und ich habe doch versucht, dich zu helfen. Jetzt, das Wahl ist deins.

@The_Missing_Link They didn't try to cram a full series into a movie with F91, it simply shows off several scenes etracted from the scripts of the 13 first planned episodes (out of probably 52).

Rei_IIIMar 4, 2018 10:44 AM
Mar 4, 2018 9:08 AM

Dec 2013
Why just these three options? War in the Pocket is the best, duh.
Mar 4, 2018 9:50 AM

Nov 2014
The best Gundam is Optimus Prime because his spiral power makes it the strongest of the mechabots.
Mar 4, 2018 10:00 AM

Feb 2015
So basically they all suck? But from what I've gathered, I'll probably go with Seed. That seems like the least terrible.

@NthDegree I've seen War in the Pocket and liked it. :)

@Rei366 I guess I just want to expand my horizon when it comes to Gundam. :D These 3 seem to be the most popular with casual fans, so want to find out what the fuzz is all about.
Mar 4, 2018 12:53 PM
Oct 2016
00 is pretty great second season isn't as good unfortunately but still worth watching.

Wing is just a mess, fun battle scenes though.

SEED and Destiny are just plain terrble IMO, awful mary sue protagonist, reused animation everywhere, laughable writing. But still it has it's fans. Great mech design though.
Mar 4, 2018 5:51 PM

Sep 2017
super dimension fortress macross.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Mar 4, 2018 6:09 PM

Dec 2013
Hans_0819 said:
Nyah_Chan said:

Don't forget the movie A Wakening of the Trailblazer. That one movie by itself made me hate the whole 00 series. But personally out of these three I've rewatched Seed the most. It was good but it was very cheesy when it came to the story.
Mar 5, 2018 11:39 AM

Aug 2015
My fav Gundam shows are Unicorn, Fighter G, The 08th MS Team and War in the Pocket. Oh, and Turn A.
But if I have to choose between those three then definitely Seed. Wing and 00 are crap.
Mar 5, 2018 11:41 AM

Jan 2009
none of the above the best is Gundam G https://myanimelist.net/anime/96/Mobile_Fighter_G_Gundam
Mar 5, 2018 1:34 PM

Feb 2018
I never found the time to go through the all Gundam Seed series, but my impression is that it could be REALLY good...even better than Gundam Wing, which is for now my favorite.
Mar 5, 2018 1:44 PM

Sep 2014
UrbanSpaceman said:
My fav Gundam shows are Unicorn, Fighter G, The 08th MS Team and War in the Pocket. Oh, and Turn A.
But if I have to choose between those three then definitely Seed. Wing and 00 are crap.

How is Seed better than either of these? In what aspect? Besides music I can hardly thing anything it's good at.
It has hateable and horribly written cast and the story is all over the place, the transition between the seasons was outright horrible. The designs are trash, it looks like crap, although that is true for most anime of the era.
I'd argue it's the worst of all Gundam in fact, while 00 and Wing are both close to the quality of UC, even if they get overly shonenish at times.
Mar 5, 2018 10:56 PM

Sep 2011
Only watched Seed/Destiny. I tried Wing but honestly I couldn't get into it like it's so meh to me. As for 00, I believe it's hyped before and was about to try watching it but unfortunately I was watching a long running anime, to the point I completely forgot trying 00.

Right now, I doubt I might try 00 because I'm into mecha that much anymore unlike before.

Mar 5, 2018 11:19 PM
Jul 2018
Definitely avoid Seed. If you ever feel like it's not terrible, don't let it fool you.
Mar 7, 2018 8:11 AM

Dec 2015
My favorite Gundam series are 00, Iron Blooded Orphans, and the 8th ms team, so my vote goes for 00

Mar 7, 2018 8:29 AM

Nov 2016
slightly unrelated question.

the gundam series are 'episodic' (lack of better word) and they often dont relate to each other right? which series offer a noob friendly experience to beginners?

the only gundam i truly watched was back in the 90s-Y2K back when i was a kid. that and the build fighters for teh lulz.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Mar 7, 2018 8:39 AM

Feb 2015
FONZACUS said:
slightly unrelated question.

the gundam series are 'episodic' (lack of better word) and they often dont relate to each other right? which series offer a noob friendly experience to beginners?

the only gundam i truly watched was back in the 90s-Y2K back when i was a kid. that and the build fighters for teh lulz.

Gundam has this huge universe called Universal Century, where all series are more or less related to another. However the actualy main timeline just consists of 4 anime (3 Tv series + movie): Mobile Suit Gundam 0079, Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam and Char's Counterattack. The rest are just side stories, but some of them pretty much stand alone anyway, except for a few minor references.

And then there are the other Gundams that don't take place in the UC at all and are completely stand alone (the 3 series I mentionend, Wing, Seed and 00 are non-UC btw). However these newer Gundams usually get a pretty bad rap by hardcore UC fans, that's why I wanted to know which of these is actually worth it or not :D
Mar 7, 2018 8:54 AM

Nov 2016
thanks for the short introduction, so its somewhat like the m*rv*l universe ATM.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Mar 7, 2018 10:17 AM

Feb 2015
I think it's interesing that people always say Seed is the very best or the absolute worst Gundam series. I know that most people who like Seed the best probably haven't too many other Gundams, but I know this one guy on MAL who has seen 8600+ (!!!) anime and he claims Seed is ONLY good Gundam ever made...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

55 by Tivrusky444 »»
May 18, 12:36 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

60 by Tivrusky444 »»
May 18, 12:28 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

119 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 16, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 42 Discussion

Pheefa - Jul 25, 2010

43 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 16, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Jul 4, 2009

56 by CartoonVelocirap »»
May 16, 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.