Forum Settings
Forums
New
Same as above
Jun 1, 2016 12:03 AM

Jun 2015
From checking bonus questions, I see that all my students' gateway genre is almost always action. Especially with some action titles like SAO, AoT and OPman reaching mainstream status.

Looking back, action is also my first streamed anime(DtB). While I'm sure it isn't 100% the case, anyone here who started with another genre? Are you one of the rare gems who started with SoL?

So, is action your gateway genre? In streaming, not TV, because dragonball.

And while we're at it, how do you feel about your gateway genre (especially to those with action/ecchi)? Do you still prefer it, or have your preferrences changed?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 1, 2016 12:09 AM

Sep 2015
Yes action was my gateway the thing i watched was death note while i admit its more of a thriller it still has its fair of action, how do i feel about it now ? Now while i think its a great series im dissapointed by the drop in quality in the second half, due to the death of you know who, and the ending was meh
Jun 1, 2016 12:09 AM

Mar 2015
anime is already common in my country long before those action shounen hype... the first anime i remeber watch is ninja hattori, crayon shinchan, chibi maruko-chan, doraemon, hutch the honeybee, jungle taitei, ETC.. if anything, it would be comedy.. but yes.. there is some action on it..
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 1, 2016 12:26 AM

Feb 2013
Yep. Wasn't exactly my first anime, but my gateway was Naruto. Pretty typical. Then moved on to Bleach and Death Note. My memory's pretty fuzzy from there on.
Jun 1, 2016 12:27 AM

Sep 2012
Yeah, my first anime were the "big 3" back in 2009. Nowadays I don't really care too much for pure action as much as I do for other genres, though I still enjoy watching some action shows. It's a great way to get someone into the anime medium, or any medium for that matter.
Jun 1, 2016 12:31 AM

Oct 2014
My first two anime were Hamtaro (SoL) and Spirited Away (adventure/supernatural). My cousin tried to get me into anime with SAO and Code Geass (both action), but I wasn't really hooked until I watched Toradora (romance/SoL). In general I don't tend to like action stuff especially if they're done poorly. I will watch action anime every now and then, but it's not the main genre I watch. Someone said that FMA stuck out in my favourites list, but although it's considered a battle shounen the philosophy and characters were very interesting and the fighting was well done when it was the focus, but it wasn't the most important part of the anime. The story was more focused on adventure, which is more interesting than just action.

If you look at the first 12 anime I completed you'll notice that after the two my cousin recommended they were pretty much all SoL with the one exception of Madoka.
zombie_pegasusJun 1, 2016 12:35 AM
Jun 1, 2016 12:53 AM

May 2015
SOL was my gateaway genre. The first anime I ever watched was Haruhi and I knew this was what I was looking for.

I enjoy some Action anime, of course. I'm primarily interested in character interaction though.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 1, 2016 1:48 AM

Oct 2014
I started anime with a long-running shoujo anime and to this day I still watch shoujo anime (I'm actually in the seinen demographic, though). I'm even fansubbing an anime adapted from a manga that was from the same magazine as my first anime.
Jun 1, 2016 1:54 AM

May 2015
Action and comedy were the main genres I saw at first but it was comedy that made me start watching anime online.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2016 1:56 AM

Jan 2015
zal said:
Action and comedy were the main genres I saw at first but it was comedy that made me start watching anime online.

Similar situation here, but only ecchi and comedy hooked me up
Jun 1, 2016 1:58 AM

May 2012
I do remember a friend on Maplestory way back in middle school properly introducing me into anime, but I can't exactly remember what it was I watched. Shakugan no Shana, Hayate no Gotoku or Karin. I was a casual watcher at the time though, and it wasn't until freshman year of highschool where a few friends were talking about Naruto that it sorta got solidified, so I'm not exactly sure which would be considered the gateway. Of course, no childhood anime count since I doubt most of us even knew what anime was at the time.

Jun 1, 2016 2:04 AM

Jul 2014
Well my gateway was SAO and that's action, so I guess so. It's definitely one of my favorite genres.
Jun 1, 2016 2:12 AM

Oct 2014
Honestly, if I had known that CGDCT existed before I wouldn't have waited so long before getting into anime. I had heard about anime on the internet ever since I was 12 or so, but I associated it with things like Naruto and One Piece which look boring to me. It wasn't until I started watching anime based on where people's waifus were from that I really got into the medium.
Jun 1, 2016 2:26 AM

Feb 2015
mine is ecchi tbh. then as i went deep more into more anime, i found action and got addicted to it. so maybe both ?
Jun 1, 2016 2:29 AM

Sep 2014
Action/comedy was my first one and action is often a fallback when I kind of drift out of anime because of other stuff

On a side note: Sao is action? :O

Jun 1, 2016 2:32 AM

Apr 2014
Madoka was what got me to start watching anime. Sorta. I avoided a lot of the things I watch now because people kept throwing around “otaku pandering” and I thought it meant series that had a lot of fanservice shots. Watching K-On convinced me otherwise and I started to watch things that I wouldn't have considered before then. Now it’s 5 years later and my favourite anime is something that people deride as an otaku pandering Madoka ripoff. Full circle.
Jun 1, 2016 2:35 AM

Sep 2015
Yeah, I started off with Soul Eater, then moved onto Angel Beats (not really action) and then onto Noragami.
Jun 1, 2016 2:48 AM

May 2016
I got into anime through Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and watched Chuunibyou shortly after.

Really wish there was more good thriller/horror anime, but nothing, except maybe Shiki, ever came close. That's why I'm a bit disappointed with Mayoiga turning out to be a comedy.

At least good romcoms aren't that hard to find.
Jun 1, 2016 3:00 AM

Feb 2015
Since action is certainly epic to see.
Jun 1, 2016 3:02 AM

Dec 2015
No, Ghibli movies were my gateway, but I did watch more action oreinted shows when I still new to anime.
Jun 1, 2016 3:22 AM

Jul 2011
I started to watch anime in the late nineties when I was a child with dragon ball , but my real anime gateway was NGE around 2007-2008, everything starts from here
Jun 1, 2016 3:46 AM

Mar 2015
My gateway were Mobile Suit Gundam Seed. Action Mecha and a bit of romance. I did watched DB before that but never that interested in anime.
This salad is salty favored
Jun 1, 2016 3:58 AM

Feb 2013
i'd rather say adventure was the main genre of pokemon, digimon and slayers
so my answer is no

even for streaming.. fewer than half of my first 10 series were action; i started with the psychological shit
Jun 1, 2016 4:54 AM
May 2009
It might have been when I was a kid, but for me Comedy, is probably my greatest gateway. Adventure was second. Action is probably third.
Jun 1, 2016 5:06 AM
Jul 2018
The first anime I've ever seen and the first anime I've ever streamed was Kirarin Revolution. I was like 6 and loved that. It's a musical Shoujo with, of course, romance and drama.
Now I can't get into stuff like that anymore because Shoujo anime have the reputation of pissing me off. Now I'm leaning more towards the Seinen genre, be it action-filled or with something else. I also like Josei for SoL stuff.
Jun 1, 2016 5:18 AM

Nov 2009
BeBackinaSec said:
From checking bonus questions, I see that all my students' gateway genre is almost always action. While I'm sure it isn't 100% the case, anyone here who started with another genre?
And while we're at it, how do you feel about your gateway genre (especially to those with action/ecchi)? Do you still prefer it, or have your preferrences changed?

My gateway anime was Cardcaptor Sakura.
It has a lot of genres listed, but is best described as a magical girl anime.
I don't watch magical girl anime all that often, but I guess I've seen most of those that are intended for creepy adult men like me - Nanoha, Sympogear, Vividred... and liked them, so I guess I still like the genre.

Of the "genres" listed on MAL for CCS, I still like Adventure, Magic, Fantasy and Comedy. I tend to dislike shoujo, because I'm quite far from the target audience.

Of the "genres" not listed on MAL, CCS is famous for its lolis, which I still like. And some measure of cute girls doing cute things, which I still like too.
Jun 1, 2016 5:21 AM

Apr 2013
Romantic comedies, slice-of-lifes, cute girls.

Zulhelmi said:
Maybe when you're still 13.
Jun 1, 2016 5:25 AM
Feb 2013
It was for me, my first anime was the 2003 FMA series back in high school.
Jun 1, 2016 6:23 AM

Mar 2015
Ecchi harem comedies are what got me really interested in watching more anime.
Jun 1, 2016 6:32 AM
May 2016
ecchi-ecchi/harem was my first one
Jun 1, 2016 6:48 AM

Feb 2016
Yes. The obvious being DBZ, Natuto, Bleach and One Piece thought I never liked One Piece. And they are so mainstream at the time I didn't consider them anime. My first "real" anime was Death Note followed by Deadman Wonderland. Surprisingly, the show started to air on Adult Swim right after I finished it
Jun 1, 2016 6:55 AM
Jul 2018
For me yes, i started it with long running action shows like Naruto and One Piece. While my preferences have changed through the years i still enjoy a good action anime ^^
Jun 1, 2016 6:55 AM

Apr 2016
My first was actually Stein;sGate, so more SciFi/thirller than action. I'm not really the biggest action fan, so that's probably why.

Jun 1, 2016 6:58 AM

Feb 2016
I started my anime craze with Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, so...
A retard is trying to prove his point, thanks.
Jun 1, 2016 6:58 AM

Feb 2015
Shinji said:
Romantic comedies, slice-of-lifes, cute girls.

Zulhelmi said:
Maybe when you're still 13.

I've seen many older people still love watching an epic action though their interest maybe a bit differ than the youngsters nowadays.

Also, stood up an epic action wasn't that bad.
Jun 1, 2016 8:02 AM

Nov 2015
ConnorEP said:
Yes action was my gateway the thing i watched was death note while i admit its more of a thriller it still has its fair of action, how do i feel about it now ? Now while i think its a great series im dissapointed by the drop in quality in the second half, due to the death of you know who, and the ending was meh

Word for word.

Bat after that I pretty much immediately switched to romance for some reason..
My next 4 anime were Bokura wa minna kawaisou, Sakurasou, Nichijou, B Gata H Kei & Toradora.

It took me a while before I got into action anime..
Jun 1, 2016 8:10 AM

Jan 2014
my experience with action anime was supposed to be a one-at-a-time deal; that i only watched some anime and liked other things instead.

and then SoL and cute girls happened, and it was impossible to turn back.

so i guess i can say action anime did get me into the medium.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2016 8:53 AM

May 2009
Nope, the genre that got me into anime was mahou shoujo. The problem with that genre is that it's often aimed at children, or just rather childish in nature, and not really that enjoyable for me. Then again, this made shows like Madoka Magica and Yuuki Yuuna all the better, given that they are somewhat more adult-oriented in nature.

However, since I got into anime, I noticed that my taste changed to slice of life, 'feel good' shows, featuring cute girls and which are almost always comedic in nature.

In fact, I'm not really all that much into action shows in the first place. There have been shows with plenty of action that I liked (SAO, AoT, etc.), but overall, action is not my go-to genre, and probably never will be.
Jun 1, 2016 8:55 AM

Apr 2013
Seems like most people either started with action or SoL. I'm in the latter group. My first anime was Lucky Star, followed up with Haruhi and K-on. And to this day I like stuff with SoL and comedy the most. I couldn't really get into action at the beginning. Now I do watch action but its not my favorite.
Jun 1, 2016 9:01 AM

Jun 2012
Inuyasha was the anime that cemented my interest in anime, so I guess the answer would be yes.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 1, 2016 9:09 AM
Oct 2013
Kirarin Revolution was the first anime I've ever watched. I used to love it but then it went to the 3D animation but because of it, I became more interested in romance. I did watch Dragon Ball but it didn't make me interested in anime as I am now.
Jun 1, 2016 9:11 AM
Nov 2015
It's my gateway genre. I don't care a lot about the plot lately (something like Deadman Wonderland suffises me)
OPM had a lot of comedy. Not dragonball. I didn't watch SAO.

If I had to pick the top it would be:
- SnK (I've watched both manga and anime, can't wait for the 2nd season)
- Hxh (Fuck it, it was a masterpiece especially the Chimera arc)
- Deadman Wonderland / Tokyo Ghoul / Darker Than Black ... etc
Jun 1, 2016 11:46 AM

Oct 2015
Yeah my gateway anime were stuff life Attack on Titan, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop etc.
Back when I started watching anime about two years ago I still thought slice of life and CGTCT were garbo
but look at me now! Nichijou, Joshiraku and Girls und Panzer are in my favourites.
Jun 1, 2016 4:07 PM

Sep 2015
It was for me. As a kid, I watched the likes of Dragon Ball Z, Shaman King, Pokémon, Digimon, Zoids, etc. Action and adventure went hand in hand with each other.

When I started getting back into anime as a 20 year old, it was primarily the action-oriented anime that I started with, too. Shingeki no Kyojin being the first one to bring me back to anime. I suppose with how popular action is in the west, it makes sense for it to be one of the primary genres to draw people in.

As it stands though, action probably wouldn't be my go-to recommendation for those looking to get into anime. When thinking of my friends, most of them don't tend to look at action as a primary favourite. That's not to say that they dislike them, but they would definitely prefer other things. I guess it would still work, to a certain degree, as a gateway anime, but there are better things to start them off on. I suppose this is also a product of their age - since my friends and I are no longer kids, are interests are broader than that of simple action and fighting and explosions and the like.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jun 1, 2016 4:21 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
At first yeah, i just wanted soem badass action anime and started with AoT and then Naruto, Bleach, Deadman wonderland, Elfen Lied, Darker than Black etc ...

and then, i tried Angel Beats.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jun 1, 2016 8:05 PM
Jul 2018
The first anime I ever watched* was idolm@ster. So I guess cute girl/music/slice-of-life was my gateway genre. The next shows I watched, I think were in this order: Shirobako, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, and White Album 2. (Though I still haven't finished Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood because I put it on hold when I was getting my computer repaired a while back and I never picked it back up. I plan to pick it back up though; so far, it's one of the best shows I've ever watched. When I do pick it back up, I'm going to watch it from the beginning again).

So basically my gateway genre was cute girl/slice of life. And that is definitely still one of my favorite genres. My favorite genres now are:

Cute girl/slice of life/humor

Slice of life/romance

Drama/slice of life/romance

Drama/romance

And adding humor to any show is good if it's well done.

To be honest, I'm indifferent to action. The action itself has no effect on whether I like the show. I like FMA:B, Gintama, Shinsekai Yori, because of reasons other than action. So if a show does have action, that's cool. If a show doesn't have action, that's cool. To me, I can greatly enjoy the show either way.

*I watched Pokemon as a kid, but I'm excluding that because that wasn't really my gateway show. After I finished being interested in watching Pokemon as a kid, I didn't get interested in another anime for like 10 years.
removed-userJun 1, 2016 8:15 PM
Jun 1, 2016 8:20 PM

Sep 2015
Even though there were lot of another genre anime apart from action one that I watched when I was a kid, when back then I still categorized them simply as cartoon but they were not really the source of my interest and I easily just skipped watching them when it was airing. I couldn't do that when it comes to Dragon Ball, or Digimon which are technically have action in its contents. And FMA:B was the one which brought me back after long years didn't follow anime anymore, So the answer for me is yes.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Jun 1, 2016 8:35 PM
Jul 2018
The first anime I ever watched was soul eater, so yes.
Jun 2, 2016 3:38 AM

Jan 2016
I would say yes,,,, it's a battle *harem* too. To Aru Majutsu no Index is my gateway anime...
Jun 2, 2016 3:45 AM

Apr 2013
Welp not rly I like action but the gerne for me is the Psychological one or even a well made drama.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9131 by Alpha-Nine »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Yesterday

73 by GateofDestiny »»
12 minutes ago

» why the double standard?

Cielord - 10 hours ago

25 by WatchTillTandava »»
12 minutes ago

» Does complexity made an anime better? And what is your favourite complex anime

niknasr - 13 minutes ago

0 by niknasr »»
13 minutes ago

» Good characters trapped in bad series.

Anjuro - Yesterday

23 by Alpha-Nine »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.