Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 2, 2009 11:40 PM

Sep 2008
i quite liked it, looks like my predictions of it being good because of J.C may be accurate :p.

It's presentation was done really well though, some very nice animation and backdrops. I thought the characters were introduced very well and it looks like this series will develop a lot as well. Will definitely keep watching this series.
Jul 3, 2009 12:18 AM

Aug 2008
Really good first episode, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I was going to. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Jul 3, 2009 12:46 AM

Apr 2009
This is very soft and sweet. The watercolors are lovely.

Easily the best shoujo-ai to catch my attention since Shoujo Sect.

In fact, think I may prefer this on account of less explicit content. But we'll see.
Oooh Miss Alicia
It's our own secret garden
Lesbians at war
Jul 3, 2009 2:15 AM
Mar 2008
Liked it a lot. JC Staff did a great job with animation and all, it fits perfectly for a slice of life. I'm definitely watching it.
Jul 3, 2009 4:24 AM

Jul 2007
I will only watch it hoping that it will show some hidden yuri potential or something....
Not that it was bad but it felt gay/girlsh w/e.... as someone said "Not my cup of tea"
Jul 3, 2009 5:39 AM

May 2009
Great first episode. It totally pulled me in - kinda relaxing to watch.

The opening was really clean and beautiful. I love the art style and animation seems really good as well.
Jul 3, 2009 7:13 AM

Jul 2007
Cloud1234 said:
I will only watch it hoping that it will show some hidden yuri potential or something....
Not that it was bad but it felt gay/girlsh w/e.... as someone said "Not my cup of tea"

So wait... you wanted yuri, you got yuri, but it's not your cup of tea because it's not the kind of yuri you wanted?

@tokki: I really hope they bring that up later, but given how subdued the series appears from this first episode, I won't be surprised if nothing is revealed outright.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jul 3, 2009 7:34 AM

Jul 2007
Amex_Yohko said:
Since this one is aimed towards male audiences, do not expect any MariMite-style awesomeness.

Have you read anything from the thread before posting this? If not, read the thread.
Jul 3, 2009 8:34 AM

May 2008
I liked it <3 I don't see why people are complaining about 'not having yuri development' <_< Hello. It's the first episode. People don't just meet up and have sex.

...well, maybe in some yaois that don't really have a story.

Jul 3, 2009 8:51 AM

Jun 2007
Fumi is already yuri but Akira isnt yet right???

yeah and now i see and understand why Fumi was so shock to find out her cousin was getting married
well i did figure that they were probably lovers or something along those lines.

looks to be a good anime im going to keep watching
Jul 3, 2009 8:54 AM

Aug 2007
KayChan4U said:
People don't just meet up and have sex.

...well, maybe in some yaois that don't really have a story.

Also in hentai.
Jul 3, 2009 9:21 AM
Jun 2008
Cloud1234 said:

Not that it was bad but it felt gay/girlsh w/e....

Um. Is it me, or is it supposed to be both gay (yuri series, anybody?) and girlish (since, you know, all the main characters are girls and this is about girls' schools and girls' lives doing girl things with one another)?

Splitter said:
I really hope they bring that up later, but given how subdued the series appears from this first episode, I won't be surprised if nothing is revealed outright.

I do get that "subdued" feeling you talk about. Especially since it seems they've used up their quota of explicitness in the OP sequence, naked school girls and whatnot. A clear sign of that was the way the scene where Fumi peed herself played out. You saw it clearly in the manga but they angled and handled it differently in the anime. In a way, it's less explicit but more artistic, if that makes sense.

But I really hope they don't de-yurify this series to suit the palettes of those who simply want a romantic slice of life anime drama.

dancu said:

I wasn't aware that someone could be "yuri".
Jul 3, 2009 11:40 AM

Mar 2008
I'm not that fond of yuri either, but I decided to give this show a try since it's done by the director/ep-director of Honey and Clover, Nodame, Kimi-kiss, and Kare Kano, which are fantastic shows.
And after watching the first eppy I'm happy I'm in. As most of you has already said, it's sweet and beatiful. Hopefully, it becomes as emotional as other J.C Staff's great slice of life shows! Looking forward to the next eppy.
Jul 3, 2009 1:27 PM

Jul 2007
tehnominator said:

But I really hope they don't de-yurify this series to suit the palettes of those who simply want a romantic slice of life anime drama.

If they do "intimate" scenes akin to Kare Kano, there will be no complaints from my end. Hell, I'll praise them for it.
Jul 3, 2009 1:56 PM
Jun 2008
Splitter said:
tehnominator said:

If they do "intimate" scenes akin to Kare Kano, there will be no complaints from my end. Hell, I'll praise them for it.

Man, Kare Kano was gorgeous. It still didn't completely "hide" the physical interaction between the two, so it was even daring, if I may.

Manga spoilers, don't read unless you follow the manga, seriously:
Jul 3, 2009 2:16 PM

May 2009
Though a bit slow-paced for me, the artwork is quite beautiful (though I agree that the CGI looks out of place).

Still, the start is quite nice, so I'll be keeping track of it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2009 7:09 PM
Feb 2008
tehnominator said:

I agree with Splitter that I hope they include that scene from the manga, but I highly doubt it...considering it might be a bit too "scandalous" for the series (maybe)?

But then if they don't, I think it changes the whole perspective (at least for me) on the relationship between Chizu and Fumi, and as well as the character of Fumi itself.
Jul 3, 2009 7:24 PM
Jun 2008
tokki said:
tehnominator said:

I agree with Splitter that I hope they include that scene from the manga, but I highly doubt it...considering it might be a bit too "scandalous" for the series (maybe)?

But then if they don't, I think it changes the whole perspective (at least for me) on the relationship between Chizu and Fumi, and as well as the character of Fumi itself.

Scandalous? :D What was with that OP sequence then. If I didn't know this was yuri, I'd have been like, "Is it me... or is this really gay??"

Changes the perspective? I suppose as of now, Chizu is Fumi's emotional support, her one connection to her life prior to her move back to her old home town. And she's deadly reserved, so Chizu also is pretty close to her.

I'd say there's no major way they could mess with the original content. I hope, anyway. It'd be nice if it were subtle, so audiences who aren't used to yuri can ease their way into this series. I mean, I would sooner recommend this to a yuri noob than something like Strawberry Panic :P
Jul 3, 2009 8:16 PM
Feb 2008
I think I mean scandalous in terms of the relationship between Chizu and Fumi in the manga where it clearly showed that Chizu

To me that scene from the manga might seem a bit "dark" for the direction that they're taking the anime.

Anyway, I didn't think the OP sequence scandalous at all, in fact I found it quite beautiful and tastefully done.
Jul 3, 2009 8:25 PM
Jun 2008
tokki said:
I think I mean scandalous in terms of the relationship between Chizu and Fumi in the manga where it clearly showed that Chizu

To me that scene from the manga might seem a bit "dark" for the direction that they're taking the anime.

Anyway, I didn't think the OP sequence scandalous at all, in fact I found it quite beautiful and tastefully done.

Same here. It was the one of the few times they used nudity that made me think, "God, this is so pretty..." as opposed to me cringing/laughing/rolling my eyes (depending on the type of anime). I more put that it was scandalous for those who do not quite think that there can be tasteful nudity. Such as those from Sankaku Complex, who already wrote an article about the first episode :P

As for Chizu:

Jul 4, 2009 3:44 AM

Aug 2008
What a nice first ep! I like the soft art style and the story of reunited friendship
dancu said:

yeah and now i see and understand why Fumi was so shock to find out her cousin was getting married
well i did figure that they were probably lovers or something along those lines.

Looks this way, Akira just seems like her gung ho self from her childhood years, but im sure her reunion with her childhood friend will help her out :D.

As for the Fumi shock scene I cant help but think what others here are thinking, of Chizu's nature in her past relationship with Fumi. Since Fumi is much younger I cant help but feel an aggressive feel coming from Chizu (her eyes speak volumes), but until we get some actual proof Its just a great big guess.

Jul 4, 2009 7:05 AM

Feb 2008
I feel alot of things were introduced in this episode without it feeling too rushed or forced. That's a great start for me.

Loved the animation and music. I'm looking forward to this series.

Edit: About the nudity in the OP. I thought it was really tasteful and like tokki said beautiful. I don't see what was wrong with that at all.
KappakaJul 4, 2009 7:09 AM
Jul 4, 2009 7:23 AM
Jun 2008
LolitaDecay said:

Edit: About the nudity in the OP. I thought it was really tasteful and like tokki said beautiful. I don't see what was wrong with that at all.

Nothing was wrong with the OP. It was absolutely gorgeous.

Although the guys on Sankaku seem to have a tough time deciding which was more palatable to them: Fumi's nudity or Chizu's cake.
Jul 4, 2009 7:51 AM

Feb 2008
tehnominator said:
Fumi's nudity or Chizu's cake.
Now that's a tough one. That cake looked delicious.
Jul 4, 2009 11:25 AM

Apr 2008
Very beautiful,
and relaxing.

Looking forward to more of this!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2009 12:53 PM
Feb 2008
tehnominator said:

As for Chizu:

More on Chizu and Fumi's relationship:

I just read Chapter 25 of the manga (if you haven't read it yet and don't want to know then don't click the spoiler tag)...and there's a page where
tokkiJul 4, 2009 11:11 PM
Jul 4, 2009 9:45 PM

Oct 2008
The summer shows are looking pretty impressive which im very glad for, this an needles will definitely be on my watching list for now anyways, really liked the characters.
Jul 6, 2009 7:48 AM

May 2008
this show i shoujo ai? i feel that im watching the wrong show but the first episode was so interesting sigh

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jul 6, 2009 1:28 PM

Dec 2007
Flawless episode imo!
Great artwork ja music.
Jul 6, 2009 5:08 PM

Apr 2008
I liked it :D Didn't know it was yuri though xD I'll continue to watch it.

Breath||
Jul 6, 2009 11:46 PM

Feb 2008
Beautiful and relaxing. Hope it will take some steps beyong an ordinary "girl friendship"
There was a MySQL Error. The staff has been notified and is looking in to it. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Jul 6, 2009 11:51 PM

May 2008
Well, I definitely enjoyed the first episode. Everything was introduced so smoothly, and I'm liking the characters so far. I don't watch too many slow-paced romances like this, but I have high expectations for it :]

The episode just had an overall tranquil feeling to it, and I like that aspect of it so far.
The same can be said for the OP. It was beautifully put together, imo.
Jul 7, 2009 10:43 AM
Jun 2008
No wonder this anime's first episode turned out so well: it's directed by the guy who did Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile. Doi.
Jul 8, 2009 9:17 PM

Jan 2008
tehnominator said:
No wonder this anime's first episode turned out so well: it's directed by the guy who did Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile. Doi.
Ah, no wonder.
Nice start, definitely following this.
Jul 8, 2009 10:17 PM

Jun 2009
Yes!, Yuri action FTW. But seriously now, it was an all-right episode, it introduced the characters and the plot in a good manner. And the art, especially the watercolor painted background were gorgeous (I'm a watercolor whore after all), and that soft look that the animation has was very nice. This series doesn't seem to be bad but not very good either, though I'll give it a try.
Jul 9, 2009 12:03 AM

Feb 2009
first episode was interesting. enough to make me keep up with the whole thing.
Jul 11, 2009 5:33 PM

Jun 2009
I loved the atmosphere of the first episode. It's got just the right balance of friendship, romance, school. Definitely going to watch this to the end. My first shoujou-ai/yuri so I hope it goes well. =D
Jul 12, 2009 3:17 PM

Nov 2007
I really like the OP+ED songs.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jul 13, 2009 12:51 PM

Apr 2007
I'm going to love this.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Jul 17, 2009 5:31 PM

Feb 2009
I liked it. The characters seem pretty interesting, and I enjoyed the art and music.
Jul 19, 2009 7:23 PM

Aug 2008
Not a bad start. A lot of things reminded me of the style of Nabari no Ou without the drama and action, but it's something I plan on watching.
Jul 19, 2009 7:28 PM

Nov 2007
I liked it, but... Is it just me, or did the voices sound somehow "off"? Like, when I first heard Fumi talk, I was really surprised. Her voice was so soft/girly compared to how I thought it would be from looking at her.
Jul 20, 2009 10:37 PM

Dec 2007
I like shoujo ai series, so that is a plus for me to watch this series. The process in this episode seems good, and I hope this series shows some yuri potential.
Jul 21, 2009 9:35 AM

Sep 2008
I love the animation style, but it seems too slow-paced for my taste.
Jul 24, 2009 4:42 AM

Nov 2007
chikan problem is different from the manga. chikan touched both those girls in manga, but not here.

I think I can try the anime, but not manga.
tsubasaloverJul 24, 2009 4:46 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 30, 2009 5:19 AM

Oct 2008
That was an excellent first episode and (having seen the later ones), it only gets better from here.

The opening theme song is a lovely choice and it really stands out from all the annoying high-pitced pop you hear all the time. It's nice to hear the mature vocal stylings of a singer with a voice like wine, honestly. Ending theme song is a little lacklustre, but these are two songs that grow on you.

Lovely animation throughout the episode and the segment in the beginning with the nudity is pretty classy and very pretty. Normally seeing semi-naked girls is just tacky or for service when it's in anime, but here it's beautiful and wonderful and says a lot about the characters and the interactions to expect (er, not in the romantic aspect, more like, they are going to bare their inner selves to the audience and to one another). Well, such are the themes to be gathered from this anime; it's about two best friends who influence one another's lives.

As for the characters, I love that Akira. Spunky without being annoying or over the top. I think she maintains a fine balance and actually fits into the calm setting and environment. Fumi is pretty good to; I love her voice! It's so unusual.
I'm with stupid.
Aug 18, 2009 9:40 AM

Aug 2008
I wasn't bored through the episode but I'm not sure if I'll make it to watching the whole thing or not. I'm going to watch episode 2 now.

You guys keep saying shoujo ai and yuri, but everything I read about this anime says that it's about friendship and not love, so I'm confused. I'd be much more into it if it was shoujo ai or yuri.

Question: what's going in with the cousin? I didn't catch that.
Aug 18, 2009 12:21 PM
Jul 2009
ExquisiteDefect said:
I'd be much more into it if it was shoujo ai or yuri.

It is yuri (or shoujo-ai, if you want to use that term), so don't worry.

ExquisiteDefect said:
Question: what's going in with the cousin? I didn't catch that.

1idd0kunAug 18, 2009 12:24 PM
Aug 28, 2009 8:35 AM

Aug 2008
Thanks for the spoiler! I was dying to find out what happened. Now I'm even more psyched to watch the next episode when it's up. I'm up to 7 or 8 now.
Sep 22, 2009 9:34 PM

Aug 2008
Very beautiful and easy to watch, I enjoyed every minute of this episode :D Can't wait to see more! (Even if I'm not that into yuri/shoujo-ai ^_^U)

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Fugles - Sep 9, 2009

127 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 7, 11:38 AM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starrysky - Aug 12, 2009

65 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 6, 6:23 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FireReaverX - Jul 15, 2009

74 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 5, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - Jul 8, 2009

80 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 7, 2023 7:06 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starrysky - Sep 2, 2009

56 by Destroyer31 »»
Jun 10, 2023 10:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.