Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
May 15, 2011 4:34 AM
Dec 2010
It's nice for him that he finaly cured his mental illness right?... but was that really supposed to be the end of season ? Seemed like a filler between 24 and The End of Evangelion to me.

I liked that parody for school harem show hehe
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
May 23, 2011 4:23 PM
Apr 2011
I really liked the series. However, I do have some grips.

First of all, up to episode 21, there is almost no background information about the NERV organization.Then, the first 15 mins of episode 21 is filled with overwhelming amount of background information. Kinda painful to watch tbh. Why not release these info little by little throughout the series in each episode instead?

My second grip is the ending. The last two episodes felt like a filler rather than anything else. They tried to develop the characters, but instead, they presented information that we already knew about them. We were already familiar with the personality of all these characters, so these two episodes were not necessary.
Plus, most of the questions about angels, the second impact, the Adam project, and etc. were left unanswered.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. The action scenes, animation (for its time), and music were top notch.

My score: 7/10
Jun 2, 2011 7:48 PM

Aug 2010
Godel said:
I noticed people that like it overall has low anime compatability while people who disliked it was higher anime compatibility with me.

I guess this shows how twisted some people are, I have no clue how or why animes like this and Elfen get over 8, even 7 average since they have such rubbish storys, characters, and way too violent.

Rather than that i think its more of a capability to appreciate certain things, i accept that i really like EL and NGE but that doesn't mean I'm a twisted person that only seeks violence i actually like to seek the meaning behind the violence and their actions
Jun 14, 2011 5:40 PM
Dec 2009
This ending is... Bad.

My biggest problem is how unbelievable it is. This is all happening in Shinji's mind. I know. This is him rejecting instrumentality. I know. But if Shinji had the answers to his problem inside of him, why was he angsting for so long? You're telling me if Shinji just stopped and thought for about 30 minutes he'd understand that his life is worth living? How come he never did that? I don't believe that. When you have a problem in your life and you're confused, you don't solve it by whining and you sure as hell don't look inside yourself. YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S CONFUSED. In the simplest terms if you want A. Go get A. Don't try to get A through B. You're wasting your time.

Do you want to solve your problems? Go ask somebody. Be proactive. Go tell your dad he's a douche. Let all of that frustration and angst out. Solve your problems by doing something as opposed to having Misato or someone else fix your problems.

Because of this fundamental confusion in Shinji's thinking, I feel no sympathy for him. I hate him. It's why he's so hated. His problems could be solved so easily and dedicating an entire episode to just blabbing in his and our ears that Instrumentality is bad and that his life is good, I don't care by this point.

What's weird is, Shinji can take a stand to fight. He's done it before. Remember back when you fought Shamshel? Remember when he nearly killed Toji and Kensuke, the closest things to friends you had? Remember when you snapped and went bat-shit insane? That's something you should be taking a stand for. SEELE HAS DE-EVOLVED THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE and you're still complaining about how you feel? Grow some balls. And then, when you do decide to get over yourself it's UNBELIEVABLE AS HELL.

Shinji: I'm a coward. I'm cowardly, sneaky and weak.

Misato: Only if you think you are. If you love yourself, you can take care of yourself.

Shinji: I hate myself. But maybe... Maybe I could love myself. Maybe my life could have a greater value. That's right! I am no more or less than myself. I am me! I want to be myself. I want to continue existing in this world. My life is worth living here!

THAT'S ALL HE NEEDED? 25 EPISODES OF ANGST. All he needed was to be told that he needed to love himself. Bullshit.

So yeah. I liked the character development and EPIC Angel battles in the first 20 or so episodes, but the last six really made me sad. At least the Rebuild movies have Shinji acquiring testicular fortitude.
Jun 29, 2011 4:46 PM
Nov 2009
it was ait. 9/10.
Jul 6, 2011 3:59 AM

Nov 2009
The most bizzare ending i have ever seen and one of the worst. I hope that EoE movie explains what happens while shinji is going insane inside of his mind in the TV series.

I agree with the fact that truth is formed inside of your mind and depends on your point of view and that's fine. Buy seriously? you needed over an episode and a half of psychological babble to emphasis that?! come on.

The series started really well, but ever since everyone started to go insane in there, it started going downhill. I am really disappointed as this had huge potential and the background story was awesome.

Actually, why couldn't they just say the 2nd impact was caused by the first angel, they captured it, made eva's that were the same as the angel apart for them being controlled by humans, than fight all angels and save the world.
Is this SO hard to do? That could have spared us of all that psychological stuff that ruined the show.

I'll give this 8/10, in respect to the awesome beginning and roughly first 20 episodes. But the ending really ruins the show.
Jul 6, 2011 4:21 AM

Jun 2011
the last episodes were what Evangelion is all about:

Shinji overcoming his hatred of himself and learning to value his life.
Shinji seeing value in having to do things that must be done, even if he dislikes it (piloting Unit-01)

Evangelion wasn't about the eva units fighting off the angels, it was about how people who don't know how to connect/interact with others due to everyone's own "A.T. Fields" could learn to accept that you will get hurt when you love others, but that's ok, because as long as you know who you are, and what your duty in life is- as long as you know that, you can continue living with a sense of accomplishment in loving your life.

The Evas merely served as the physical embodiment of each characters obstacles in learning how to embrace their own sense of self-worth.

Shinji: Hated piloting it,"i mustn't run away", "people hate me, they only love me because i pilot Eva"
Asuka: wanted to prove that she belonged and that she was worth looking at. She wanted to make her mother see her for the daughter that she is
Rei: she pilots it because she feels she is literally useless. she is easily replaceable and doesn't understand about value or emotions.

in the end all 3 overcome their individual obstacles and i felt that the last episodes of NGE did a better job of showing Shinji becoming triumphant than EoE.
Jul 6, 2011 4:41 AM

Jun 2011
This post is so stupid, I don't even know where to start.

Pixy-Stix said:
This ending is... Bad.

My biggest problem is how unbelievable it is. This is all happening in Shinji's mind. I know. This is him rejecting instrumentality. I know. But if Shinji had the answers to his problem inside of him, why was he angsting for so long?
- Every answer to one's question in life is always inside of that individual. Shinji was “angsting” for so long because he didn't understand WHY he was the Eva Pilot, he didn't understand WHY he should love himself, he didn't understand WHY it was necessary for human beings to have other people around them to love even though the AT field of everyone's souls causes people to get hurt when they get to close to each other (The Hedgehog's dilemma). Shinji didn't understand WHY other people should even exist if people exist to only hurt each other. Shinji didn't know how he could learn to love others if he can't even love himself.
- He was able to come to the conclusion that “I CAN EXIST HERE” through instrumentality. By seeing what the world would be like if he ACCEPTED INSTRUMENTALITY. He saw that in a world where there are no differences in indivduals, and everyone is merged into one being with no suffering or despair because everyone's AT field is collapsed and all souls merge into one(THE WHOLE POINT OF INSTRUMENTALITY) that this world was the equivalent to not existing at all. Shinji chooses to affirm life and all of it's suffering because he was able to see that there is no one TRUTH that exists in the world. That there are billions of “TRUTHS” scattered throughout the universe. In the world we see, we are led to believe that Shinji only exists BECAUSE HE PILOTS Eva. This idea is the source of his frustration and existentialist crisis. Shinji is defined by something he HATES. He is able to release his frustration and accept this one “TRUTH” in the world where he is an Eva pilot because THROUGH INSTRUMENTALITY he realizes that there is no ONE TRUTH. There exists a Shinji who IS DEFINED BY something other than Eva. This is the ultimate point of understanding for Shinji. He realizes that even though in this world, he is assigned a duty he hates, forced to live a life that he hates. as long as he believes he deserves to live and find meaning in himself rather than the finding meaning in circumstance- he can exist and assign value to his life.

You're telling me if Shinji just stopped and thought for about 30 minutes he'd understand that his life is worth living? How come he never did that? I don't believe that. When you have a problem in your life and you're confused, you don't solve it by whining and you sure as hell don't look inside yourself. YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S CONFUSED. In the simplest terms if you want A. Go get A. Don't try to get A through B. You're wasting your time.
- god, this is so painful to read. Shinji's problem is only solvable through looking inside himself. Shinji is a boy swept and taken control of circumstance. He Didn't ask to be the Eva pilot. He didn't ask to have this burden on his shoulders, he didn't ask to kill Kawrou. There is nothing Shinji can LITERALLY DO. THIS IS THE MAIN CONCLUSION OF INSTRUMENTALITY. TO LOVE ONE'S LIFE REGARDLESS OF THE OBSTACLES AND THE DUTIES ONE MUST DO.

Do you want to solve your problems? Go ask somebody. Be proactive. Go tell your dad he's a douche. Let all of that frustration and angst out. Solve your problems by doing something as opposed to having Misato or someone else fix your problems.
- did you even watch the series? The problem within the series is that everyone around Shinji is just as messed up and lost as he is. Misato can't help Shinji when he's saddened by Rei 2's deaths. The only way she knows is through sex which Shinji and Misato both feel ashamed about. Watch that episode again, Misato clearly says “ive lost him” (or something along those lines)
- he can't ask asuka, (im not even going to get into asuka's problems)
- he can't ask his father (again, obvious reasons watch EoE too)

Because of this fundamental confusion in Shinji's thinking, I feel no sympathy for him. I hate him. It's why he's so hated. His problems could be solved so easily and dedicating an entire episode to just blabbing in his and our ears that Instrumentality is bad and that his life is good, I don't care by this point.
- Evangelion critiqued and analyzed the general motifs of the mecha genre. 14 year old children thrust into battle will panic and bitch out. However, The biggest conflict that we all face isn't some space alien that we have to kill with a robot. The biggest conflict within everyone is understanding and loving one's selves. This is what Eva tries to explain. Also, again, Shinji wasn't trained, never had combat experience, of course he's going to be scared and occasionaly be a bitch. Dear god man, honestly.

What's weird is, Shinji can take a stand to fight. He's done it before. Remember back when you fought Shamshel? Remember when he nearly killed Toji and Kensuke, the closest things to friends you had? Remember when you snapped and went bat-shit insane? That's something you should be taking a stand for. SEELE HAS DE-EVOLVED THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE and you're still complaining about how you feel? Grow some balls. And then, when you do decide to get over yourself it's UNBELIEVABLE AS HELL.
- god, I don't even think you properly watched it. So many things wrong with this post.
- I'll just say this for this post. Seele didn't attempt to de-evolve Humanity. Stfu.

Shinji: I'm a coward. I'm cowardly, sneaky and weak.

Misato: Only if you think you are. If you love yourself, you can take care of yourself.

Shinji: I hate myself. But maybe... Maybe I could love myself. Maybe my life could have a greater value. That's right! I am no more or less than myself. I am me! I want to be myself. I want to continue existing in this world. My life is worth living here!

THAT'S ALL HE NEEDED? 25 EPISODES OF ANGST. All he needed was to be told that he needed to love himself. Bullshit.

- answered above

So yeah. I liked the character development and EPIC Angel battles in the first 20 or so episodes, but the last six really made me sad. At least the Rebuild movies have Shinji acquiring testicular fortitude.
Al_GoreJul 6, 2011 3:18 PM
Jul 6, 2011 4:42 AM

Jun 2011
i have a lot more i can say, but i have to go to school + work.

i'm no expert on Eva, you should check out evageeks.
Jul 6, 2011 4:51 AM

Jun 2011
Exold said:

Actually, why couldn't they just say the 2nd impact was caused by the first angel, they captured it, made eva's that were the same as the angel apart for them being controlled by humans, than fight all angels and save the world.
Is this SO hard to do? That could have spared us of all that psychological stuff that ruined the show.

2nd impact was intentionally caused by Seele when they made contact with Adam the first angel in an attempt to reduce Adam into an embryo size to hide from the angels. They told everyone a meteor caused it. They wouldn't want to say “ok guys, we caused 2nd impact the thing that killed millions of people”

if you're asking for a more literal ending, watch EoE. It'll satisfy you. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS WATCH END OF EVANGELION AFTER FINISHING THE TV SERIES

You'll see that Seele and Gendo actually wanted to “end” human life, but cause it to evolve into instrumentality.
Al_GoreJul 6, 2011 4:54 AM
Jul 6, 2011 12:01 PM

Nov 2009
Al_Gore said:
Exold said:

2nd impact was intentionally caused by Seele when they made contact with Adam the first angel in an attempt to reduce Adam into an embryo size to hide from the angels. They told everyone a meteor caused it. They wouldn't want to say “ok guys, we caused 2nd impact the thing that killed millions of people”

if you're asking for a more literal ending, watch EoE. It'll satisfy you. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS WATCH END OF EVANGELION AFTER FINISHING THE TV SERIES

You'll see that Seele and Gendo actually wanted to “end” human life, but cause it to evolve into instrumentality.

Actually, just watched EoE, and after reading up some more info, understood what the plot was about.
What i said earlier is just a suggestion for a different plot. Of course, it's less deep and i agree if you claim it's cliche, but in my opinion, it's still better than watching a show where everyone is basically insane in some way(except the classmates and the penguin).
I also didn't like the implementation of religious themes, the show would have been fine without them.
Jul 9, 2011 2:28 PM

Mar 2011
Congratulations! 7/10

Now I should watch the movies.
Aug 10, 2011 4:34 AM

Dec 2010
I think that my post is going to inconsistent but considering this anime I guess it's hard to be any other way.
I decided to watch all the episodes from 20 to 26 in one night to see the anime in a better way. At the point I was watching episode 25 I was quite sleepy. It took me 40 minutes to watch a 20 min anime. But ep 26 took me a whole hour to watch it. It was not just because I was closing my eyes for few seconds. Just like episode 25 I needed to rewind the most parts over and over again to get the point(or at least at some level). I'm gonna say that more than once I thought that episode 25-26 are quite tormenting. Just all the pictures that were shown all the things that were said...
First thing first. I'm not sure if I can comment on the ending. Just because I'm not sure there was an actual ending. I suppose that if there was an ending it was the one picturing Shinji's life when he wasn't pilot. It was quite the ending I wanted to see and the one I actually like. But can it be ending if there is nothing in the story linked to it? I'm personally not satisfied if it's done this way. I'll get it as if there is an ending but no closure of the story.
So the ending. In fact I heard many references and opinions to it so I kinda' see it coming. Shinji created world where there was no pilots. So his mother was alive, his father wasn't bad guy, Asuka was dear friend to him(not as if they were not friends as pilots but things were different) and Rei was a normal girl. And even Shinji was "fixed" at the last moment when he started loving himself after long and painful mental progress.
So, my opinion on last two episodes. Yeah, they were quite philosophical and in totally different style then 1-24. I'd have really liked to see ending in the theme of episodes 1-24 but who'd have known that this will happen. I too have suspicions that the director found his story ending in a brick wall and that's why NGE ended like this. I mean if you look at it - there were so much things to explain that I think he needed at least 51 episodes anime instead of 26 one to do the job right and that wasn't possible considering the low budget he got at the ending point. So instead of rushing it to a badly done and mediocre ending he did something confusing with hidden point in it. This way the director will be hard to blame - you can just say no one gets what he wanted to say.
But lets think on one possible way to get the ending. It was said to Shinji that every one has it's own truth about the world. So you may say that the director implied another hidden point - everyone of us will get his ending in his own way and it will be the actual ending considering him.
I'm not gonna' say I got the ending or that I actually liked it. It is as much unsatisfying as it could possibly be and now I understand why many people refer to NGE when they dislike some anime ending. I hope there will be some closure in the movie. But I'm not gonna' give bad overall score. This anime was really good and I doubt I'll ever forget how much I liked it.
It will be hard to forget NGE. It's not like this is possible. I loved how the ED sounded after episode 25 and 26. It was just the thing I needed to hear after everything I saw and after the weird ending. One thing more - when I ended up watching episode 26 the dawn was close. When I looked to the sky and I felt the cold breeze I somehow felt better about the ending and NGE - this piece of atmosphere just fitted perfectly. The world really has at least as much mysteries in it as NGE did.

So about my overall score...

1. Characters. +1 - Is it possible not to give point here? This anime is full of interesting characters. Shinji's mother even though she did such a short appearance. The class Rep - even if she wasn't main character I liked her a lot. Yeah, Shinji was really annoying one but I love Rei and Asuka. They were such an unique characters... And not just them.
2. Atmosphere. +1 - The atmosphere was well done. Imagining such a future, I think that things would be close to what was shown in NGE.
3. OST. +1 - Even though there wasn't much music in it, it was quite well done. The OP is so good that I just can't get enough of it. The ED - it was by no means worse than the OP and sounded just in place after the depressing episodes.
4. Animation. +1 - It was nice animation, considering the time it was done.
5. Background story. +1 - Even if many things are left unexplained, the background stories were really good. Too bad we didn't get the whole picture.
6. Storyline. +1 - It was quite the depressing storyline but still - it was well done. Too bad we didn't get an actual closure to it.
7. Ending. - Not gonna' give points here and I don't think there's more to explain on why am I won't do it. Such a good storyline... I wish for nothing more than a real ending.
8. Fight scenes. +1 - They were OK considering the mecha style. Most of the fights hold me on the edge of my seat.
9. Drama. +1 - Yeah, if I don't give point here I really wonder if this can get any point at all. This depressing story was full of drama almost at all the time.
10. Overall feeling. +1 - I'll never forget this anime. It's one of the few which hold me so tightly from the start to the ending. I never expected to like it this much. All the mysteries, all the drama, the pilots - this is certainly one of a kind anime. I can compare it to Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - you get so much irreplaceable feelings while you watch it...
Bonus(extra) point for:...

Overall score: 9/10.
MeritasAug 10, 2011 4:47 AM
Nov 22, 2011 4:53 AM

Jul 2009
Congratulations! Shinji stopped being emo sissy - now he's just a sissy! Great development indeed.

Seriously, NGE is not that deep, stop making things up fanboys.

Oh! Almost forgot - GAINAX WOULDN'T RUN OUT OF MONEY, IF THEY DIDN'T SPENT A SHITLOAD ON DRUGS. True story.

Overall - 2/10. Not worth watching - everyone has to find his place on this planet by himself, no matter the odds. So stop whining, grab your bolter, start shouting: "MAIM, KILL, BURN! MAIM, KILL, BURN!!!"
Nov 22, 2011 5:34 AM
Oct 2010
orzel286 said:
Seriously, NGE is not that deep

It's one of the most intro-perspective abstractions of the genre, no, even of all anime that I've been able to witness so far. Whether you define that as "deep" or not is up to you. In the end it's a character driven plot that plays with a shitload of philosophical and psychological themes.

It's not even close to the shows I personally enjoy the most, but if I were to rate them by considering the amount of topics involved and how far you can go in interpreting them (hence "depth"), NGE would definitely be in the top branch.
Nov 27, 2011 8:54 PM

Mar 2010
I really don't know what to think of this series overall. I mean, hell, I absolutely loved it up until the actual last battle with the angel who actually put up a fight. However, that ending and the way they executed it was just really unusual. I wasn't sure I was getting the message of the story, even though I'm pretty sure I understood it. There were cracks and openings in the plot that I didn't and still don't understand. Which I'm hoping the movies and all prequels can hone up to, but at the same time, I feel unnerving to watch it again and fail to see a different light shed on the story. Besides the rambling, I loved ''Neon Genesis Evangelion'' for being special and original in it's own category and can be easy labelled as a treasure of it's time. I give it an easy 10/10. A true classic.
Dec 7, 2011 9:01 AM

Feb 2011
A sudden twist about life. Omedetou you've just been trolled! xD

and so because of the psychological convo I'm giving this a

8/10
Jan 18, 2012 4:35 PM

Jan 2012
Ok...I'm literally still recovering from the mind fuck thats the ending to NGE. At first I was super pissed off, all this philosophical shit to cap of an incredible run of episodes? But as I thought about it more and more, the more I began to appreciate the ending. I'm happy that Shinji found acceptance and emerged from his depression. However, nothing was ever resolved with my favorite character Asuka. I really wanted her to become confident again, I really did. But instead the end just focused on Shinji. Either way, I still really enjoyed the show and I can't wait to watch Rebuild though I'm getting the feeling after reading all these posts that I should watch End of Evangelion next? Anyway, loved NGE, planning to rewatch it soon with a friend.
Feb 10, 2012 12:41 AM

Jun 2010
I love this. It's like an epilogue about the nature of humans and how a human perceives oneself. I can really relate to what's being said. When alone, there's nothing for my personality to bounce off of and reflect back to me, verifying my existence. Everyone would feel this at some point. I think this was very well done.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2012 7:13 PM

May 2011
I really loved the deconstructing of the characters' minds, how they had every motive, reason, and sense of identity broken down to the core. Very well done, and it was really nice as an abstract piece of art. I loved it, but...

The very end...

I didn't mind that little clip of an everyday kind of life because it was another option available to Shinji and such, and it needed to show him that any place could be paradise depending on the person's mindset and attitude, which perfectly reflects the result of the creator's depression at the time of this work. That was fine. But the result of that, everyone clapping and whatnot, Shinji feeling proud of himself for realizing that he can be happy if he thinks he's happy, all that, the very end, I didn't like it.

It seems so out of place. Before, we have 20 or so episodes of intese mecha battles, dark secrets that tie in with the major plot, and a wonderful cast of psychologically scarred people whose traumas increase exponentionally throughout the series until the end when it's all taken apart, piece by piece, to the very first insecurity and delved upon. That was all wonderful. But then we have this happy ending where everyone's cheering Shinji on for deciding to live and be happy, and it just doesn't sit right. It's like a slap in the face, like all the terror, tragedy, mind rape from every episode before didn't matter because you can ignore it and be happy.

It did a great job dealing with identity and self-perception, but what about every other episode before these last 2? What about everything else? I understand that Shinji's reality, dreams, and identity make up this series, his own world, really, and that the reflection was a important, and a conclusion was needed, but...

"Congratulations!" Really? Fuck that.

Honestly, I think I was just expecting an ending that fit with the dark feel of this series from the first episode. It seems I set my standards far too high.
Feb 22, 2012 7:58 AM

Dec 2011
I hated this ending.
Im very confuse.
Feb 29, 2012 12:07 AM
Jul 2011
I have a feeling that this show tried to make a final impression in being meaningful, but I don't see it. It may cause existential crisis's, as it judges human existence in a form that's black-and-white.
Mar 2, 2012 10:29 AM
Oct 2011
Personally, I think these two episodes are brilliant alone. I love seeing the characters completely lose their way, I love how easy it is to relate to them because they're so vulnerable here. The characters are all naked and we see their fears, and how insecure they truly are. Brilliant!
BUT as an ending (and I just finished watching this series for the first time about 10 minutes ago) I was left a little frustrated. Seemed like there was so much going on, so many complications and confusions and then bam. Everyone just tells Shinji "if you just believe in yourself you'll be okay!" and he's okay.
So many doors still open, so little closure.
I really love the message the last two episodes give. Everything is a matter of perspective. That is so true and so smart, but what will Shinji do with that advice now? It really doesn't tell us that.
Finally, this series is so dark, and the theme of isolation is so strong throughout. I don't like that they just wrap everything up into a pretty little present and place a nice bow on top. I think it seemed abrupt and not very believable. So no, not the biggest fan of the ending.
Mar 9, 2012 9:21 AM

Jan 2012
I think that most people who don't like EVA simply give it low ratings because they simply get confused by the ending and refuse to try and comprehend it...EVA is meant to be watched more than once and the last two episodes definitely need a few watches to get the full message across...if anyone is still confused they should watch End of Evangelion...that hopefully will clear a few more things up...

Personally, I love the last two episodes and of course it's annoying that Anno leaves a lot of plot points unanswered but EVA was never about the plot to begin with. It always was about the characters, so the last two episodes focused mostly on them...

Also...I'm always up for discussing EVA...so if anyone has anything they need cleared up or if anyone just wants to talk EVA feel free to post on my profile!!
Mar 13, 2012 4:02 AM

Jun 2011
This is the shittiest ending I've ever seen.
Mar 14, 2012 10:22 PM

Jan 2012
Dissent said:

Go watch End of Evangelion...it's a necessity when it comes to this series...
Mar 15, 2012 12:06 AM

Jul 2009
EVA_UNIT_02 said:
I think that most people who don't like EVA simply give it low ratings because they simply get confused by the ending and refuse to try and comprehend it...

It's completely the other way around - NGE tried so hard to be something else, but failed miserably. It's not hard to understand that this whole anime is based on one concept - "let's put as many as disturbing, as confusing and crazy bullshit as we can, call it mindfuck, profit." Nothing else matters, not even plot (with holes bigger than texas). In the end, it's just a poorly executed TROLOLOLO anime, which belongs to the same league as mars of destruction or apocalypse zero.

EVA is meant to be watched more than once and the last two episodes definitely need a few watches to get the full message across..

Hell no.
Mar 18, 2012 12:45 PM
Oct 2011
EVA_UNIT_02 said:
Dissent said:

Go watch End of Evangelion...it's a necessity when it comes to this series...

Oh God. I couldn't stand EoE. I thought the second half was so stupid.

EVA_UNIT_02 said:
I think that most people who don't like EVA simply give it low ratings because they simply get confused by the ending and refuse to try and comprehend it...EVA is meant to be watched more than once and the last two episodes definitely need a few watches to get the full message across...if anyone is still confused they should watch End of Evangelion...that hopefully will clear a few more things up...

Personally, I love the last two episodes and of course it's annoying that Anno leaves a lot of plot points unanswered but EVA was never about the plot to begin with. It always was about the characters, so the last two episodes focused mostly on them...

Also...I'm always up for discussing EVA...so if anyone has anything they need cleared up or if anyone just wants to talk EVA feel free to post on my profile!!

I think it's a great series on the whole and like I said the last 2 episodes are great as stand alone episodes, but I wanted an action packed ending!
Mar 27, 2012 3:47 AM
Jul 2018
omfg... I loved the first 24 eps, was hoping for some plot closure, and then this crap...
Biggest disappointment I've had with anime so far
Plus I kinda identified myself with shinji which made me more depressed -.-
The whole "congratulations" part was the biggest trolling I ever saw. It'l like Gainax clapped at us for spending over 10 hours of our time for nothing.
Mar 28, 2012 2:06 AM
Feb 2011
Re-watched it for the 5 time. (In 10 years.)
Still mind-fuck'd. in a good way.
I know that a lot of people don't like or maybe don't understand the concept.
But fuck my side-ways guys! I love it and brain washes my friends to see the show!

p.s watch the movies! that are kind of a "plot closure"s (In plural) ^_~
(4.0 will be out in 2013!)
Apr 5, 2012 10:24 AM

Aug 2009
Hahahaha, I lol'd when it ended. What an ending!
Apr 14, 2012 9:42 PM

Nov 2011
Finished this series a few weeks ago, didn't really think it was that good tbh but I might give the movie a try
Apr 18, 2012 4:14 PM

Dec 2008
When I first watched it I hated it to death... Lol, I think it was the most hated thing in my life. XD

Now, 10 years later, it is one of my most favourite anime ever. o________o Go figure... Maybe I shouldn't have watched it back then.
May 21, 2012 9:35 AM

Dec 2010
wow. the last two episodes were really aweful.
Jun 6, 2012 6:25 AM

Jun 2012
one of my favourites.
just bought the series off amazon.
now i can own it, and watch it all the time :p

they said, that the community of people that go in and
watch that series that they don't have much a social life,
that community will understand and enjoy the series more.
rather than the community that have a social life, lol.

... omg.
Jun 17, 2012 9:00 PM
Apr 2011
This was a below average show, and terrible ending. I didn't come in with any high expectations or anything, just the curiosity of why this show was so popular. I don't get why. Though I enjoyed four episodes, the ones where the eva went berseck..most of the show was slow and pointless..i'm a pretty smart philosophical guy, and their ranting were really meaningless and without merit.

Really a bad show in my opinion, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. However, I have yet to watch the movie..though I'm starting to doubt I will...maybe the movie will give me new perspective but I guess we'll just have to see
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Jun 21, 2012 12:25 AM

Apr 2012
I couldn't believe I actually made it through the last two episodes. That were just so stupid. All those questions asked and no continuation of the storyline just disappointed me. But you know what would make those last two episodes enjoyable. Weed. Man all those question asked while your stoned outta of your fucking mind wold drive you crazy. You'd probably believe your god and can make alternate realities or some more joints. :D
Jun 27, 2012 10:43 AM
Mar 2009
Spitfirefly said:
wow. the last two episodes were really aweful.

2deep4u
Jun 28, 2012 5:00 AM

Jun 2012
aoumi said:
When I first watched it I hated it to death... Lol, I think it was the most hated thing in my life. XD

Now, 10 years later, it is one of my most favourite anime ever. o________o Go figure... Maybe I shouldn't have watched it back then.

We share a similar story. EVA was an anime that I feared the most during childhood (back at 1997 when my brother got the series on VHS). I couldn't believe to see a bleeding robot, as I didn't know yet about EVA's origin as bio-mechanical entity.

But starting from 2006, EVA became my favorite anime of all time, thanks to its awesome mind-crippling story. And yeah, I found the last two TV episodes pretty confusing. End of Eva wasn't an exception with its "kimochi warui" conclusion.
"All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu."

However, in Gundam, all life begins with Nu and ends with Hi-Nu. While in KanColle, all life begins with Nu and ends with Kinu.
Jul 2, 2012 2:54 AM

Oct 2010
aboose said:
The ending isn't even deep, it's the same message over and over and over again.

The message isn't hard to understand. The only thing that's hard to understand is why they took the same message and replayed it for 2 episodes straight (After lacing the whole series with the same questions) in a completely nonsensical way.

Way to ruin a captivating 24 episodes. EoE sort of saves it, but in the end it's still pretty bad end to a great series.

Who said it is deep? It is interesting as it puts the fears of the main character in context, and it's fascinating because of the experimental use of animation. As an ending to the storyline is close to nothing, but then again I wasn't watching Neon Genesis Evangelion to be concerned about the financial future of NERV or shit like that.

EoE, as an ending to the series and the doubts of the fans, is more frustrating than anything, because for every answer it raises a hundred questions or so. So I can't say I agree with that part either (I like it because of its spectacularity and imagination, but as well as being in the sphere of mindfuck, every single character is in freaking berserk mode).
Jul 12, 2012 10:19 AM

Sep 2011
I greatly disliked this anime.

So let me get this strait.
First these kids are recruited to destroy the Angels but you don't really know what they are and what they came to do except attack the Evangelions and the Nerv laboratory, or even what happens when the last one is destroyed.
But turns out it wasn't about the Angles or the Evangelion, but of Shinji growing up.

Then after everyone's psychological mindF*** in the previous episode it only shows Shinji's mental stability. Sort of. Unless it turned out he totally snapped and he just thinks he's not crazy.

Did I miss a key point?
What becomes of everyone else?
What happens to Nerv?
Jul 12, 2012 11:35 AM

Oct 2010
ToastyGir said:
Did I miss a key point?
What becomes of everyone else?

Shinji is being used as the object of experiment in the Human Instrumentality Project, therefore the last two episodes are a travel through his mind showing his fears and mental instability.

ToastyGir said:

What happens to Nerv?

This will be shown in The end of Evangelion, which was basically an answer from Hideaki Anno to the rants of fans for the lack of a real ending in the series.
Jul 12, 2012 9:16 PM

Sep 2011
ToastyGir said:

What happens to Nerv?

This will be shown in The end of Evangelion, which was basically an answer from Hideaki Anno to the rants of fans for the lack of a real ending in the series.

ok thanks! I'll watch that one.
Jul 13, 2012 4:12 PM

Jul 2010
astonished how so many people back this series. it went from fair to crap.

Jul 17, 2012 1:12 PM
Mar 2009
Angel_Beats said:
astonished how so many people back this series. it went from fair to crap.

Then you should watch End of Evangelion.

I liked this ending. There's no other series that makes a psychoanalysis at the end of the show. It gives the characters a lot more depth.
Jul 18, 2012 12:58 PM

Oct 2011
What an awkward way to end... to me this is a mind**** in its own weird way. Like now it's just Shinji obliviously living in fantasy regardless of what is happening in reality.

Well, on to EoE.
Jul 23, 2012 8:55 AM

Jul 2011
it was okay, though I felt the whole psychological aspects in the end were basically out of nowhere like they threw it in randomly to make the show feel intelligent.
Jul 24, 2012 1:14 PM
Mar 2009
Lately said:
it was okay, though I felt the whole psychological aspects in the end were basically out of nowhere like they threw it in randomly to make the show feel intelligent.

Why? It adds depth to the characters.

Plus, I hope that you understood the show, because the psychological aspect is important in the end just as in the rest of the series. He rejected Instrumentality. How the fuck could you feel that psychology is not related to that? How could he reject Instrumentality without thinking about it?
Jul 24, 2012 4:52 PM

Jul 2011
i marathoned this in one sitting and I can say that the show wasn't very consistent with the psychological setting from start to finish.

It was still a good series though, I'm not gonna take away anything from it since it was pretty good, just not very consistent in my eyes.
Jul 24, 2012 10:56 PM

Jun 2012
I felt like I had just watched the ending to a different anime after this episode.

The ending itself was great, regardless of the low-budget production. As great as it was, it was also terrible at the same time. It didn't do anything to help the story, which is now left hanging off of a cliff.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Pages (17) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Yesterday, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Yesterday, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.