Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Mar 25, 2017 1:57 PM

May 2016
Ushio is really adorable and I like her characteristics acting like a boy not like her mother who was shy a mouse, it must be pretty boring being with Tomoya after going through all of those things, actually I don't blame him.
Oct 17, 2017 8:12 AM
Jun 2017
Ushio Cutesy-o!

But seriously this episode isn't all about gawping at Ushio and noticing how she resembles Nagisa. I would have been shocked myself but I would have soon realised that was a good thing and Tomoya brought his misery on himself. You should never isolate yourself like that and especially not for 5 years even if you did lose your wife. Yes we all miss Nagisa but Tomoya still has a reason to live and that's Ushio.

At least Tomoya tried to be nice, he did fix Ushio's toy and cook for her, he may come across as mean but the old Tomoya is still there.
NononsenseGOTITOct 17, 2017 8:16 AM
Oct 25, 2017 9:06 PM
Aug 2014
Kinda disappointed in Tomoya though, even after 5 years he didn't realize he became the man he despises the most, his father.

I see what you did there with the ED transition.
Dec 13, 2017 1:29 PM

Jul 2016
I always thought the girl running in the ending was Nagisa, guess I was wrong.

Ushio is precious, even more than anyone else.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Jan 26, 2018 2:50 PM

Apr 2014
Are you serious? Leaving and almost ignoring your freaking child for 5 years?
What a nightmare..
No matter what happens, no matter how much of an awful human being you are, It's your child, you have to take responsibility and don't give up.
It's like all those years spent with Nagisa was nothing for him, all those promises..
Like father, like son. Devastating.
The good thing is, Ushio have grandparents.
Mar 6, 2018 1:55 AM
Dec 2017
father and daughter .. what a combination?
Apr 2, 2018 6:47 AM
Jun 2017
Wow! It sure did that tomoya just focus on his work that he even snub the birthday of his daughter. Im not so sure if even Ushio knows that Tomoya is her father. Hahaha

*anyway Ushio just look like nagisa..
Apr 19, 2018 4:45 PM
Dec 2017
I don't know why but I wanted to see Nagisa funeral. So tomoya is a deadbeat dad!? (Very realistic) And he's following in the same footsteps as his father!? I really don't want to see deadbeat dads in my anime, as I see enough of that in real life. Hopefully this deadbeat dad thing only lasts a couple of episodes.
May 17, 2018 12:20 PM

Mar 2017
Wtfff.... I didn't read ep 16 forum before I watched 17 cause I didn't wanna get spoiled.. But it's really true she's gone omg. I didn't play the game so I couldn't have known anything, I'm really shocked lol. But Ushio is precious.

But I'm actually more concerned about ossan and Sanae. Tomoya is clearly shown taking the worst pill, but what about them who sacrificed so much for their only child, only to be left ahead again. After all that backstory we watched in earlier episodes we didn't get to see how they processed that heartbreaking incident. And also Tomoya acted selfishly by leaving the baby to their care, like wtf? I'm furious.

Crying again.
nr101May 17, 2018 12:34 PM
Aug 25, 2018 7:07 PM
Apr 2018
Jesus, this was depressing. Tomoya leaving Ushio, who barely interacts with him; the depression after Nagisa's death... He is screwing everything up...

Also, I must say, Ushio's introduction was one of the best I have ever seen. She is soo cute; I feel so bad for her, growing up without her parents.
Aug 25, 2018 7:24 PM
Apr 2018
Also, are the opening lyrics supposed to be from Tomoya's perspective? That would make a lot of sense.
Sep 19, 2018 10:31 AM

Aug 2018
Well, not really feeling clannad afterstory thar much.....
Gnyo ho!
Dec 21, 2018 10:33 AM
Jul 2013
Viltas said:
Looks like he's struggling to be a father. The shock of realization will surely hit hard Tomoya..

I would not call neglecting his own child struggling. He's basically become like his own father, selfish and miserable, but it looks like it's about to change.
On another note, I'm wondering what happened to everyone else in these 5 years.
The ending song was truly seamlessly fitting for once, it's good the makers realized their mistake from previous ep.
matheoo41Dec 22, 2018 1:41 PM
Jul 13, 2019 8:54 AM

Feb 2017
What's really sad about Tomoya's depression and state of mind is that I'm sure Sanae and Akio are extremely grateful that Nagisa met, dated, married, and had a kid with Tomoya. Aside from her parents, Tomoya was probably the best thing to ever happen to Nagisa, but he's too wrapped up in his current misery to notice that. I'm glad Nagisa's parents are there to support him (and especially Ushio) while he sorts through the pain and loss.
Jul 20, 2019 5:28 PM

Jul 2016
Half adorable, half soul crushing depression. Great episode
Jul 26, 2019 7:06 PM
Apr 2016
Just like expected, he fell into quite the depression. Quite the plot they pulled off, for him to stay with his daughter, Ushio. Tomoya is such a meanie though. Jeopardizing your relationship with your own daughter will only repeat what happened with your own father. Come on.
Oct 1, 2019 8:59 AM

Feb 2019
I was expecting a very depressing episode after the last one, especially dealing with Nagisa's death. I'm just a viewer and I'm feeling down, can't even imagine what Tomoya is feeling.

It seems like history has repeated itself. Tomoya is becoming somewhat like his own father who didn't look after him. But it seems it's not going to be the same path. It's great that Sanae and Akio are there to take care of Ushio, but it's not right to just leave your child to be raised by their grandparents when you're still perfectly alive and capable of doing that. Ushio should be Tomoya's reason to live now. She is the product of Tomoya and Nagisa's love, and Nagisa basically gave her life to give birth to Ushio. It'd be sad if Ushio grew up without her father being around that much. And it's not right for Tomoya to be like this because beside the fact that it is definitely wrong, how would he ever face Nagisa? Would Nagisa ever have allowed this?

But maybe it's also because it's really painful to see Ushio, especially seeing how she's really similar to Nagisa. This episode was so sad, but so heartwarming and hopeful too seeing them having actual father-daughter time and hopefully the start of Tomoya moving forward after Nagisa's unfortunate death.

So the one skipping along was Ushio all along. That was some great animation, loved how smooth it was going from Ushio skipping along the road to the ED. This time, the ED fit perfectly, especially with the more upbeat and hopeful tone of the end of the episode. But last episode, the ED just completely ruined it.

Here's hoping for Tomoya and Ushio to fix their relationship and become a true family once again, for Nagisa's sake too.

It's still sad though. I miss Nagisa :( It feels empty without her, and emptier knowing she won't be there anymore.
Oct 3, 2019 11:04 PM
Jun 2019
I think Tomoya's thoughts are actually somewhere along "I already killed Nagisa, I don't want to kill Ushio too, so I'll stay as far away from her as possible".

He is not realizing that he is now acting exactly like his father and his father might even have similar reasons for his behavior.

Ushio is really cute. Ever since the very first episode of Clannad where it was established that Nagisa is sick often, combined with the fact that everybody said "This is the saddest anime ever", I always expected the anime to end with Nagisa dying of her sickness. What I didn't expect was how far into the future the anime actually advances. Nagisa is dead now (and I'm pretty depressed myself because of that, I really should stop intentionally watching sad animes), but there are still quite some episodes left. I really hope the anime ends on a positive note.
Oct 29, 2019 3:36 PM

Aug 2015
This is quite depressing. I can't believe Nagisa died for real. Looking at Tomoya just makes me sad. Gosh what a trainwreck of feelings.
The only opinion that should matter to you is yours.
Jan 3, 2020 4:56 AM

Jul 2010
I didn't expect Tomoya to be such a bad parent. I'm disappointed.
Mar 19, 2020 8:25 PM

Jul 2016
7-8 years after graduating and Tomoya still remains the same in terms of looks. Forever young ♪

Now seriously, time skips sure are a bother in this series. I personally would have really liked to see how the people who gave their all (Akio and Sanae) to raise their only child digested such heartbreaking moment.

So five years neglecting your daughter, uh? Well, it seems Tomoya isn't that different from his father after all. He still has time to change that pathetic behaviour tho.
May 2, 2020 5:26 AM
Apr 2020
Am I the only one that is getting annoyed with Ushio's bragging about how she can go to the toilet by herself? She's 5, not 2. Of course she can do it all by herself. I can see why Tomoya's patience with her is wearing thin whenever she says that. Also, I know she's nervous around him, but the way she kept hiding isn't going to solve their relationship.
Though I hate the way Tomoya is being so dismissive towards her.
TotoroTomatoMay 2, 2020 5:32 AM
Oct 11, 2020 4:15 PM

Jun 2020
And here I thought that she's gonna survive but in the end she's not now I'm so depressed, anyway looks like that Okazaki is most likely the same as his father now I bet he knows how it felt, ok now for Ushio she is so cute she's like the reincarnation of Nagisa and her voice is perfect it sounds like a baby, the ending on this episode was great love what they did there.
Oct 22, 2020 1:57 AM

Mar 2020
WHY? WHY IS THERE A TIME SKIP??

This show is beginning to get on my nerves again. Whenever there's the opportunity for complex characterisation it runs away screaming for the hills. Why would they develop all the supporting characters if they had no intention of using them? I thought the central theme of this show was the importance of family and friends, especially when it comes to facing adversity.

Once again, I don't understand why this series is so tragic to the overwhelming majority. There isn't any reason to cry over something which is sad for the sake of being sad. I feel like a dick for invalidating feelings, but I can't shake the frustration.
Oct 22, 2020 9:40 AM
Aug 2020
Can't believe Tomoyo abandoned Usia, though I think it's just because she is a mini copy of Nagisa
Nov 7, 2020 3:49 PM

Jan 2020
Without Nagisa the story feels really empty and way more depressing and it hurts.

I don't love Ushio so far but there's potential so I'm excited to see more.

Last episode I hated the way they used the outro/ending but this episode, it was the completed opposite and it was the best way the ending could have been used. The transition felt very natural and it blended it in perfectly.

Nov 21, 2020 6:36 PM

Apr 2014
For quite a few episodes now, Tomoya has been making me feel useless. Now Ushio makes me feel that I have been useless ever since I was at her age.
"You don't become Hokage in order to be acknowledged by the village.
The one who is acknowledged by everyone, is the one who becomes Hokage."
Uchiha Itachi, Naruto Shippuden
Nov 26, 2020 10:33 PM
Apr 2020
I still can't believe that Nagisa is gone...
Jan 4, 2021 9:15 PM

Aug 2014
powerful opening monologue by Tomoya.

I liked how the anime added lines around his eyes to show the stress, drinking, and smoking have done to his aging process.

But overall, i was mostly bored this episode.
Jan 10, 2021 10:07 AM

May 2019
Seems very distant and cold to his own daughter. Having bad lifestyle, smoking and overwork. I dont know how to feel about this.The sequence Ushio walk blend perfectly with the Ed nice touch. will see how it goes from here

Jan 13, 2021 1:03 AM

Jun 2020
So I was right that the person running in the ED would be Tomoya's child.
I think the Sanae and Akio set Tomoya up to make him spend time with his daughter. Can't believe he neglected her for 5 years.
Maybe Tomoya will be willing to talk to his father because he's becoming him and if he doesn't start taking care of Ushio, she will become him too.
I hope they talk more about what happened after we saw Nagisa lose consciousness after giving birth. Idk if she died or if she's in a coma or what
Feb 13, 2021 3:27 PM

Apr 2017
Tomoya hated his father for how he raised him only for him to now become the same as his father, I wonder if he even realizes he became what he hated the most.

All children deserve parents but not all parents deserve children and Tomoya definitely doesn't deserve Ushio.

Honestly Tomoya should have necked himself a long time ago and just let Sanae and Akio take care of Ushio.
cunnysseur
Apr 13, 2021 4:40 AM
Jan 2021
tomoya started to act like his father,what a pity..
Jun 24, 2021 7:00 PM

Jul 2020
oh wow, pretty cute episode of Ushio after the tragic death of Nagisa.

yeah, he's a shitbag becoming like his father. bullshit
Nov 10, 2021 7:21 AM

Aug 2018
Poor Tomoya, he really went the same path his father did after expierencing such terrible loss.

Him not taking care of Ushio during these years is just depressing and very unfortunate.

Ushio is just soo cute, must protect her at all cost
Jan 18, 2022 8:36 PM

Jan 2016
This show took on a completely different vibe. Wow.

Bruh Tomoya doesn't even feel like Ushio's dad.

Also, guys never google character names. I forgot a character's name and googled it and ended up getting spoiled. Wow, I never learn.

Funny how genetics work in anime. Kids either come out looking exactly like their parents or nothing like them at all.

Tomoya really left his daughter with her grandparents... I get he was depressed but you still have Ushio my man.
Mar 10, 2022 12:35 AM
Oct 2021
The most hype cliffhanger Ive Watched and next eps prolly one of the greatest ever Made this shit is so good.
Mar 16, 2022 5:43 PM

May 2021
Naoko Yamada's direction of this episode was great!
May 14, 2022 1:01 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Bro the transition into the ED. Magnificent

I said I was gonna see you guys at the end and watch the remaining episodes straight through, but it looks like I'm going to have to pause for this one at least because I just wanna say that I super appreciate how they handled all this:

Instead of having a full episode (or perhaps even several for that matter) of what you'd expect to be Tomoya being depressed, they just show tidbits of that, and we fast-forward 5 years into the future, where his daughter is running around and speaking full sentences. We are spared the most of the pain and sorrow that Tomoya went through, because we more or less can expect what that'd be like. Instead we see him several years later where he is more or less recovering from it all. We get a brief depiction of his time of grieving and depression, and we quickly move on to the important stuff: that being his relationship with his daughter, Ushio.

That's why I was quite puzzled when Sanae-san showed up at the door all happy like nothing ever happened. I was like, was your daughter's death just like whatever??? And then we see 5-year-old Ushio so it all makes sense. I am expecting a scene later where they all break down one last time as they remember Nagisa. And they haven't shown Akio yet.... I'm sure he is going to get an emotional scene later on. Perhaps he grieved harder for Nagisa than even Tomoya. I can only imagine

The next episode, episode 18: The Ends of the Earth, is one that I've seen quite a bit of talk about, and surely something evidently occurs as that is also the episode with the most discussion thread replies after the last episode. I am ready. Or maybe not...

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 30, 2022 9:28 PM
Mar 2022
Everyone is blaming Tomoya for not being a great father, in fact a terrible one and rightly so, but i don't understand what the big deal is. the point is that he is not a perfect human, far from it, and simply isn't mentally strong enough to cope with his wife's death, so he degenerated to a terrible person. Nagisa was the love of his life, the only thing that made him want to try and seeing Ushio reminds him of her death especially seeing how much her and Nagisa look alike, he said it himself he would rather not have met Nagisa if that meant she wouldn't die. You know what. Most people are like this. This was the entire point of this show, to show the cruel aspects of reality. You think everyone can be in a happy and loving family? No, children get abused and far worse things happen. This show was a damning example of it, and I suspect that was the message. I'm incredibly mad at Tomoya, but at the same time I don't really blame him for it. We're only human, this is how we are. We aren't some advanced spacefaring intelligent and 100% and efficient intergalactic civilization, at least not yet, so we're left with something far more bitter and disenchanting...
Jul 7, 2022 11:34 PM

Jul 2021
Ooooooo the legs at the start of ED were Ushio's, didn't see that coming. Well to be honest didn't see any of this coming. I'm still too depressed even after I gave myself a break of 12+ hours after watching last episode. I thought waching K-on will take my mind off of ep 16 but well. And you know it doesn't help that Ushio looks exactly like Nagisa.

In the first part of episode, seeing a depressed Tomoya, just working, smoking was just too damn depressing to watch.

I know they tried to put happy and cute scenes with Ushio in this episode but man that didn't help at all. It's just making me more depressed thinking how currrent Ushio's life is and what it could have been and how current Tomoya's life is and what it could have been.

I wish I could go back to the time before watching ep 16.

Note to self: Don't recommend watching Clannad to any of your friends.
TsutanaiFuunJul 7, 2022 11:46 PM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Sep 25, 2022 1:06 AM

Jul 2022
If I put myself in Tomoya's shoes I understand perfectly but as a viewer I'm like "Tomoya hdp you have a beautiful girl and you don't take care of her or do anything for her for 5 years? you became what you hated hdp" (I don't criticize him, It's just a fleeting thought xd)

But I think back to everything Tomoya suffered and I cry again. I hope something like this never happens to me.

Oct 27, 2022 3:39 AM

Oct 2009
Like father, like son
Dec 26, 2022 11:07 PM
Feb 2021
Big fucking surprise that Tomoya turned out to be a fucking deadbeat piece of shit. He's always been a problem in this story, especially after Kotomi's arc ended he was just kinda trash the whole time. If they wanted to tell a story about a piece of shit person, they shouldn't have wasted 40 fucking episodes with waifu-bait and stupid ass subplots just for the main character to be an awful shitstain of a human for no real reason. Yes, I get that the woman he loved died, but fuck me, he should've learned at least a little throughout the course of the series. Like fuck, this is literally the worst possible outcome for this character, and he doesn't deserve any sort of happy ending because he always fucking squanders them by being a selfish motherfucker. If Nagisa comes back because of any sort of magic bullshittery, then it better be at the cost of Tomoya's life, but that'll fucking be traumatizing to his child, so fuck there's just no winning is there. This is also Nagisa's fault too. She should've known Tomoya enough to know how much her probable death would wipe him out, but she still went through with having a child in the fucking winter when she always gets sick like a fucking idiot. I'm really not as mad as I'm trying to sound, but I am annoyed.
Jan 21, 2023 11:41 PM
Aug 2022
As soon as I realized who the outro character was I finally really cried only because I realized who it was and then the transition confirmed my thoughts that was deep bro.
Jan 29, 2023 12:15 PM

May 2022
Tomoya is experiencing the same feelings his farther has when his mother died. Going through the same emotions I am sure if of sorrow, doubt, regret and many others. Both are a shell of themselves at this point, but his father never got support that Tomoya did. I doubt he will remain this way, but it is sad to see him in this state. It is impossible for most of us to imagine living on, without the love our life like this. I am sure Ushio just reminds him of everything he lost, with Nagisa so it is tough for him to love her.
Mar 6, 2023 1:00 PM
Feb 2023
Nagisa :(

Ushio is super cute!

I really hope Tomoya doesn't end up like his dad, but he's already doing much better
Mar 15, 2023 12:34 PM
Dec 2020
Ushio is like mini-Nagisa just without her politeness
The episode to ED transition was really good, at first I thought that the girl in the ED was Nagisa
Mar 17, 2023 10:12 PM
Mar 2023
WHAT THE FUCK OCCURED BETWEEN EP16 AND EP17
Jul 5, 2023 9:04 PM

Jun 2021
USHIO IS THE CUTEST THING I EVER SEEN WAAAAAAAA <33333 >v< OwO
My god tomoya was being fight club mode for almost 5 years, but if me, who was entirely shocked for one entire day and worried form the next chapter following Nagisa's death i can't imagine how hard tomoya's heart was damaged, god bless that ushio saves it from mental instability.
Now that i think about it, it's the "after" of the after story haha
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

id - Feb 12, 2009

727 by -45- »»
May 4, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

OurSocialStatus - Mar 26, 2009

323 by Bruh69XD »»
May 2, 6:19 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

patient_senses - Mar 12, 2009

1169 by Bruh69XD »»
Apr 30, 5:37 PM

» Hopefully this isn't annoying

Ricdumb - Apr 10

5 by lycan_ »»
Apr 30, 11:42 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

angel999 - Oct 23, 2008

319 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 14, 10:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.