Aug 9, 2013 6:53 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Anime: Koi Kaze

MAL Series Information Page: Koi Kaze

Score: 7.48 (scored by 8789 users)
Ranked: #1487
Popularity: #983

Original spotlight thread: Koi Kaze

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the series that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticize and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE RESURRECTION YOU DECIDE POLL (12/09/2015)

Koi Kaze was NOT inducted into the club Manga list: 63%
- Yes: 14
- No: 8
- I haven't watched this anime: 39
- Abstained: 2
LindleNov 7, 2015 1:32 PM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 15, 2013 7:17 PM

Apr 2008
It is somewhat unfortunate that Koi Kaze gets a lot of flack from some audiences for its controversial subject matter (though it's understandable to see why), as it's truly one of the sole titles that portrays incest in a realistic light. With that said, I was initially a bit skeptical about it due to the taboo of the subject matter and how the show would execute it. Thankfully, just a few episodes in my doubts were erased and the show turned out to be one of the most believable and bittersweet romances I've experienced in the medium.

For starters, Koi Kaze didn't depict its incestuous affairs in a manner where the goal was to play up to certain fetishes. Rather, it attempted to explore the situation that both characters found themselves in, and the social and psychological repercussions of their relationship. What was especially nice was the amount of attention given to the characters' motivations and behaviour, making it possible to understand and emphasize with their frustration and guilt. I will admit that I did find certain parts a bit disturbing, such as that scene where Koshiro masturbated after sniffing his sister's underwear. However, the scene itself was not just thrown in there solely for shock value, but rather to explore a less favourable side of human behaviour and desire. If anything, it was the darker moments in the show that ultimately succeeded at humanizing the cast without going overboard, something I rarely witness in a lot of more conventional romance anime.

The anime also did a great job disclosing the "what ifs" of this scenario by detailing Koshiro's own conflicted guilt and the social repercussions when his co-worker discovered their affair. There were definitely plenty of scenes where he did attempt to act as Nanoka's older brother, which was what made their affair carry so much of a disturbing, yet ultimately believable impact. Having his co-worker act as the normative social outlook on incest was also an excellent way of showing how people would look down on this type of relationship. What I was pleased with was how well the show handled the drama and how well the main cast was characterized since it easily could have gone down south given bad writing/directing. In the end though, Koshiro and Nanoka both realized that they truly were in love with each other and were prepared to accept the reality that their relationship would not be an easy one due to social pressures.

Further enhancing the realism was the amount of detail given to subtle body language, especially with regards to Koshiro's character. As he was a man getting on in his years, there was a surprising amount of attention given to his slouching body posture, gestures and even weight, effectively conveying how he was just dragging himself through life. Coupled with the initial set-up which did have some SCIENCE behind it, the romantic progression felt entirely believable. I also have to praise the accompanying soundtrack quite a bit, as I found a lot of the piano melodies to be quite haunting, which was especially effective considering the perverse nature of the character's relationships.

The show did have a few minor weaknesses, mostly to do with its lower budget and animation quality (though it was still sufficient overall). There was also the issue of that perverted siscon character who served no purpose whatsoever other than for failed comedic relief. Thankfully, the eyesore was barely onscreen so it wasn't something I'd really hold against the show that much.

Overall though, Koi Kaze certainly was a compelling, yet believable angle on a type of love you don't see dealt with very often in any form of media. It's a shame though that we likely won't see a show of its caliber produced in this current industry, as incest automatically equals fetish fuel.

A definite "Yes" from me.
Don_Don_KunAug 15, 2013 7:42 PM

Aug 15, 2013 9:00 PM

Feb 2012
Despite my own and what I suspect to be an essential amount of the club members' opinions on the subject of incest, Koi Kaze deserves a second introspection.

By that, I mean it does an exceptional job of highlighting just what is so painstakingly problematic revolving the issue of taboos within modern context. We see the main protagonist, Koshiro, and his constant battle with the modern workplace, workforce, and perhaps even conformity.

His battle cries to society, his past relationships with girlfriends, and failure as a 'lively' individual are denied, ignored, but ultimately reciprocated by the wishes of a younger imuoto.

The romance feels so wary yet so believably painful. Who's to decide what's right or wrong with one's gut feelings?

The series also carries an interesting flare with its theatrics--and just how it livens up a modern setting with such small efforts. The drama is, at times, full of pomposity, but not within the scale of melodrama. It's built up, the sexual, platonic, and other tensions between the couple; the series never flaunts any new, unnecessary development in one's face. Perhaps the beauty of Koi Kaze is how subtly and cannily it develops the characters through a breeze like force of perceptive immersion, to the extent that the physical and mental contractions are perpetually tangible. It reminds one of the swift styles often apparent in noitaminA's programs, employed skillfully in other works like Haibane Renmei, Baccano!, etc.

Yes it's far fetched not to consider it a generic approach, but considering the broad spectrum of how easily this genre or the broader topic is abused to pander to audiences, Koi Kaze makes for a fine exception and a generally exemplary series.
Aug 30, 2015 7:10 PM

Mar 2013
Koi Kaze handles its subject matter with incredible maturity, and powerfully captures the sense of awkwardness, guilt, and conflict for the social taboo. Even though I find myself disliking the main character; even though I find the show hard to handle and extremely uncomfortable, I have nothing but respect for it on a critical level. It's a definite yes.
Sep 6, 2015 7:48 AM

Nov 2013
the subject matter is gut wrenching and handled masterfully.
the characters are complex and have uncommon problems, and I think more of us have uncommon problems than we realize. Even though they probably aren't these problems.
the animation and art is poor by most standards, a lot of the music is unmemorable. Its often fascinating, but not always enjoyable.
just as i wouldn't not induct it just because of its subject matter. I also don't plan to induct it just because it has the subject matter. on the fence.

P.S. I had Patrick Seitz, the voice of Koshiro, sign Koi Kaze. We had an interesting talk to say the least.
Sep 14, 2015 1:32 AM

Aug 2014
Koi Kaze has an interesting theme but it barely explores it.

For the most part it's another half-assed romance anime with nothing special about it aside from the fact that this time main couple is related by blood. All sorts of interesting things could derive from that and Koi Kaze only shows them in last 4 episodes or so.

First off this anime goes for a very slow pace for no good reason and doesn't have what it takes to pull it off, it easily could've been reduced to two hours or less.
Story is nothing special despite once again, incest. In time allotted it tells nothing and ends with nothing. First 9 episodes are brother and sister falling in love with each other at first sight and then convincing themselves that it's either wrong, or that it's not "love" kind of love and other such things. Little introspection is given and most you will ever get to know is that both think this relationship is weird/wrong and that they shouldn't do it. In next 4 episodes they just say whatever and become an actual couple, the end. This kind of approach to romance in my opinion is fundamentally wrong, beginning of the relationship shouldn't be the end of story.

It's boring and is doesn't treat subject matter with any kind of care. Last 3 episodes somewhat attempt to go into what incest relationship can really mean, as they think what to do with the future and other character learns about their romance, but it doesn't go anywhere as first question is quickly brushed off and that aforementioned character fucks off just cause, why bother. Not only it should've answered that question, it could've involved other characters too to add more intrigue to a weird, but at the same time painfully mundane relationship.

A bit more on that, relationship was handled pretty poorly and in part one of the reason I couldn't like any of the characters. Koshiro and Nanoka don't really go through any real hardships in their relationship. The biggest hurdle is that they are brother and sister and this hurdle doesn't take much to overcome. Koshiro is just an emotionless log that oh-so-subtly shows how much trouble is it for him to love his little sister. He keeps pushing her away, screaming at her, and generally being a dick so that this relationship doesn't go anywhere. Meanwhile Nanoka is just a little girl who loves her brother, that's it. She doesn't even seem to have much if any problem with that, she did run away after getting intimate but that's where all her conflicting feelings start and end. Switch to them accepting this relationship felt a bit sudden and unnatural. At that point it only gets worse since it just become another generic romance anime, there's a brief talk about double suicide and plans for the future but as I said, it doesn't go anywhere. "It doesn't go anywhere" describes Koi Kaze quite well I think.

As mentioned before the incest relationship is really the only thing it has going for it. Animation, art, music and voice acting are all average.
GundroogSep 14, 2015 7:03 PM
Sep 14, 2015 12:37 PM

Jan 2009
suna said:
They basically say fuck it (see what I did there) and decide to go on with their relationship, without even informing the parents. If you can't even tell your parents about it, how do you expect to have a healthy relationship? Everything before that was done very well, even the sadder moments, but their mentality in the last episode(s) just killed it for me. I bet it was just done to make a statement and shock the viewers. It could be that I forgot something. It's been a while since I saw it.

danz said:
what's wrong with not telling anyone? it isn't the healthiest relationship in the first place lol. the reason why they especially didn't want to tell their parents is that they don't want to disappoint them. the show emphasized their relationship with their parents a lot and made that pretty clear.
i find it pretty hard to judge their mentality just like that. they are in an extreme situation and they certainly need more time to figure out where the relationship will head so i'm completely fine with what they chose to do.

suna said:
How can they have a good relationship together if they want nobody to find out? I know that they were scared to tell their parents, but what would be more disappointing to them? A. I'm attracted to my sister. or B. I'm having sex with my sister. It's not really that hard (or maybe it is for him ;) ) The reason why I'm so disappointed with the ending is exactly because of your last sentence:
they are in an extreme situation and they certainly need more time to figure out where the relationship will head

Why don't they wait longer before escalating the relationship? See if the butterflies go away after a month or two just being with each other instead of going full 'love conquers all' on us.

danz said:
but they have waited long enough. they waited most of the series lol and they came to the conclusion that they really are in love with each other and want to take the next step. that was what most of the show was about...

i really don't understand your first point. what is the better choice: A. telling your parents that you fuck each other or B. telling them nothing? pretty sure most people would go for B because it is way easier and doesn't come with nasty problems. their relationship definitely stays healthier if nobody knows about it.

suna said:
Maybe I don't think a few weeks is a long time. I don't remember how much time passes between the first and the last episode.
And yeah, of course it's easier to tell them nothing, but that doesn't make it the best thing to do. They can never show their love outside of their home. That seems like an incomplete relationship to me. To think they can go on with this much longer than a few months seems incredibly unrealistic to me and when they do finally decide to tell everyone, the reactions and consequences will only be much worse.

suna said:
And yeah, of course it's easier to tell them nothing, but that doesn't make it the best thing to do. They can never show their love outside of their home. That seems like an incomplete relationship to me. To think they can go on with this much longer than a few months seems incredibly unrealistic to me and when they do finally decide to tell everyone, the reactions and consequences will only be much worse.

i don't really think what it feels like to us matters. it's their choice. it's what they thought about and concluded. if you agree with it or not shouldn't be of importance. will it work out for them their way? we don't know, but what we do know is everything that happened up to this point and this is what we are judging.
danzSep 14, 2015 5:30 PM
Sep 15, 2015 4:49 AM

May 2012
You are right when you say that we should judge the anime and not anything that can happen after the series is finished. That 's also exactly why I find this ending so weak and a huge cop-out. I hope you can agree with me when I say this show is fueled by taboo, whether you're pro incest or not. Taboo's aren't a problem because the people doing these things don't see them like that, but because people from outside the people involved, society views incest as immoral. Incest wouldn't even be a taboo, nothing would, if this wasn't the case. So the anime needs to show us two things: 1. how the people directly involved handle this (which was done well) and 2. how society, the people around them handle it. This second part doesn't get nearly enough attention, especially with an ending like that. The characters are only struggling with themselves and not with the reactions from their parents or friends. They tried to give this the attention it deserves with his boss finding out and condemning the relationship. I believe he eventually says he loves his sister and would choose her over a 'normal' life which is fine. But the boss gives in a bit too soon and just isn't important enough to really impact his life. It's just a boss, someone who you can leave without having to deal with major consequences. If he has enough balls to tell her about the incest, he should tell the parents as well. Then we could really see how society deals with this, if they eventually come to accept it or try to change their children's feelings or give up on them or something like that. Just ending with: "Well, they all lived happily ever after (in secret)" leaves way too much unanswered that seems vital to any story involving any taboo such as this.
Sep 15, 2015 6:54 AM

Aug 2014
Suna_Kujira said:
If he has enough balls to tell her about the incest

He doesn't tell her though. Chidori figures that out on her own after he snaps and spills spaghetti.
I don't think it makes sense for them to talk to their parents about their relationship considering their characters and the way the story was structured. Before they go down and do it Koshiro sweats out around 60% of his body mass whenever things get intimate. After that he's fine with being a degenerate and clearly doesn't seek out anyone's approval, which is what I assumed after the last scene when Chidori says their relationship will be miserable. Why go confess to your parents when you know their reaction will be negative if you don't care?

However it doesn't mean I agree with the ending. All this should've happened way before ep. 13 and continued on since there are still unanswered questions and situations that could occur naturally if they just kept going. Unless they chose to maintain secrecy until death does them part it's likely that parents and Nanoko's classmates would eventually become suspicious and that could've been interesting part of the story.
Sep 16, 2015 4:47 PM
May 2009
Drumrug said:
Koi Kaze has an interesting theme but it barely explores it.

Is there a better incest romance anime?
I'm part of the fraction that cares about 'excelling in it's genre'.
I don't want to argue with your valid critic.
Sep 16, 2015 7:22 PM

Aug 2014
Eisigerhauch said:
Is there a better incest romance anime?

Probably not, most of them just feature incest as a fetish first and foremost so Koi Kaze unfortunately seems to be the best anime can offer with this theme.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.