Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 2009 12:22 AM

Jan 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode was kind of boring. But it was important, I suppose.

Have I mentioned that cat freaks me the heck out?
Jan 25, 2009 5:07 AM

Feb 2008
Waiting for Tsukasa to appear does her determination,though doesn't make much for a episode.Luckily it didn't last more episodes ^.^

@_@ Maha is cool,though when I bought the first dvd and watched thought maybe something was up because there was no sound when Maha spoke.
Jan 25, 2009 1:51 PM

Jan 2009
Haha. I've never cared for cats. So, when you throw a multi-colored evil-looking cat with telepathy in my path, you're not exactly doing me a favor. Haha.
Jan 25, 2009 4:14 PM

Feb 2008
But atleast I know your weakness,Maha fanart! lol

I've got alergies ._.
Jan 25, 2009 4:24 PM

Jan 2009
I don't have allergies to cats. I just don't trust them.
Jan 25, 2009 4:26 PM

Feb 2008
Did they destroy a piece of furniture or urinate on a comic?
Jan 25, 2009 4:31 PM

Jan 2009
I was a little kid, staying the night at my grandmother's house. I was sleeping on the couch and woke up in the middle of the night, barely able to breathe. I freaked out and hit at my chest, where my grandmother's cat was sleeping. The stupid thing freaked out too and clawed my face open. I'm lucky I don't have scars.

Plus, in general, with dogs, you show them love and you get love back. But with cats, you feed them, clean them, etc, and then they're done with you for the day. I like to feel needed by a pet, not vice versa.
Jan 25, 2009 4:36 PM

Feb 2008
ouch good thing about there being no physical scars atleast.

only bad experience I've had with cats is staying with my relative who owns cats and barely able to breath.

True enough
Jun 8, 2009 11:47 PM

Jul 2008
wow, for the entire episode she waited for him, thats some dedication i'll give her that
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jun 13, 2009 7:10 AM

Feb 2008
Though how long is an episode in relative terms to them?

Good thing Tsukasa shows
Jun 16, 2009 10:33 AM

Aug 2008
The brilliance of this episode is in the waiting and dragginess of it. Sure, Mimiru could send Tsukasa a PM and we could skip to when Tsukasa shows up and then be like "yay!"

But they didn't do that. They make the audience have to have a taste of what Mimiru went through as far as waiting (condensed, albeit) and when Tsukasa finally appears, it actually does impress you despite how mundane the occurrence is. It's this sort of blocking which turns some people off from .Hack//SIGN but makes others, like me, become quite affected by the pacing (you wait but when the wait ends, it really feels like a gem and thus makes you feel more personally involved and affected by the anime.)
Jun 17, 2009 8:13 AM

Feb 2008
Wouldn't technically Tsukasa not be able to read e-mail as you need to log-off,I know in one episode he can read mail (somehow) but I agree with you that putting you in Mimiru's shoes brings out the experience better =D
Jun 17, 2009 6:37 PM

Aug 2008
Scygoku said:
Wouldn't technically Tsukasa not be able to read e-mail as you need to log-off,I know in one episode he can read mail (somehow) but I agree with you that putting you in Mimiru's shoes brings out the experience better =D

He can't read e-mail, but he can receive and read private messages. I'm pretty sure, at least.
Jun 18, 2009 10:00 AM

Feb 2008
?_? don't think you could PM in the series,pretty sure Tsukasa said it was email
Jun 18, 2009 11:06 PM

Aug 2008
Scygoku said:
?_? don't think you could PM in the series,pretty sure Tsukasa said it was email

...Maybe...I've been planning to rewatch the DVDs this week anyway, so yeah.
Jun 20, 2009 6:03 PM

Feb 2008
@.@ kuri
Nov 25, 2009 11:24 PM

Oct 2008
Lol one whole episode of Mimiru waiting for Tsukasa. =|
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 7, 2011 8:53 PM

Jan 2009
kage-bunshin said:
wow, for the entire episode she waited for him, thats some dedication i'll give her that

Bah she waited for a whole 23 minutes xD

Not a terrible episode, actually liked it better then last episode. Plus this has been one of the few "cliffhangers" that has actually raised my interest in the show.
Jul 3, 2011 1:53 PM

Jan 2011
I fell the same way as Mimiru with the schedules. I always make schedules for studying and such.
But I never keep up with them and forget what I put on them.
Formerly gutsyGumshoe
Nov 14, 2011 12:17 PM

May 2009
I think that goes for most of us. :P
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 24, 2012 12:50 AM

May 2011
net_nomad said:
"...have a taste of what Mimiru went through as far as waiting (condensed, albeit) and when Tsukasa finally appears, it actually does impress you despite how mundane the occurrence is."

This.
I totally agree. I admire Mimiru's tenacity so much. Knowing that she stayed up at least a night and part of the next day [ although to us gamers, that's just commonplace xD ] while doing nothing but waiting for Tsukasa showed that she's determined. Which, of course, was carried on from the previous episode when she realized she was going to give it everything she had.

Sora's obviously a badass -- albeit younger -- player. "I'll get scolded if I stay on any longer." He's clearly living with his family, and I'm just assuming that he's in middle or high school. Though he is, by far, one of my favorite characters.

I think Bear works at a hospital or something -- from a few episodes past, we saw who I assumed was him smoking a cigarette [ or trying to light it in the rain ] outside of a hospital when he found that girl in a coma. No spoilers here, but that did tie in to the anime DVDs you got when you bought Infection/Mutation/Outbreak/Quarantine.

You could tell it really moved Tsukasa when he realized that Mimiru had waited all that time for him. He hadn't expected her to be there, and when she was, yes, he called her an idiot, but when she said she'd protect him, he actually acquiesced and didn't reject her offer right away.

This episode was great for character development, which is my favorite thing about any and all anime. I'm so relieved to find that .hack isn't just your typical MMO fighting-kill-the-monsters-and-baddies-to-save-the-internet-world. It's slow-paced, yes, but that makes the relationships so much sweeter for the wait.

The end, however, made me worry. Obviously, Macha isn't really helping Tsukasa as he believes, but instead wants to bring his hopes up, wants to make him happy before throwing him into despair and darkness. Interested to see what happens next.

Onto episode nine~!
Know an AMAZINGGG anime with a strong male lead?!?!11one//?!

TELLMEEEE.
NoSrsly, bby. I'll love you forever. But no romance. I mean, romance is fine between you and I, but I don't want to watch that crap, okay? Okay.
Oct 20, 2013 4:36 PM

Aug 2012
- I know about him
- Oh good. Where did you see him?
- *replies with happy face* BBS''
- *punches* You are too dumb..

rofl Sora is the best, but anyway he would get scolded if he was to stay any longer, is he a teenager then? there's a few possibilities, but most likely he still goes to the school.

That cat and voice again, tricking Tsukasa-kun.
Jun 6, 2014 12:34 AM

Jul 2008
Well maybe Tsukasa is opening up a little, still think he's a brat though.
Aug 18, 2015 7:04 AM

Aug 2012
ok this story is too boring, I'm dropping it
Sep 10, 2017 2:49 PM

Jun 2012
So, uh...what if Tsukasa had never turned up? Or he didn't read his PMs? Or had already blocked her? Or anything?
Whatcha gonna do then, Mimiru?
Honestly, she places way too much faith in someone who might not deserve it.

I actually don't mind Tsukasa at all, he acts like this for a reason. But sending him a message saying you'll wait all day for him and then just waiting all day...I mean, come on, he might have just ignored it.
Mar 9, 2018 8:12 AM

Jul 2017
Tsukasa is a symptom of something else in The World. Both BT and that cat/mom mention this. I wonder what it is?

This was a very expressionistic episode. I felt like Mimiru just watching it. Of course, it was all just waiting mostly.
May 11, 2019 2:38 PM

Jan 2017
"Hope is the best spice to bring out despair..."

It seems like the cat is evil.

Mimiru actually waited for him the whole time, she's really dedicated.
May 19, 2020 3:33 PM

Jul 2016
Mimiru is a very good friend. It was so good to see both together again! Tsukasa is very immature, probably just a kid with a very problematic background. This is possibly the first time he felt important, not being neglected or alone.
Apr 25, 2023 3:23 AM
Jun 2017
This show is, well, slow paced..

More topics from this board

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 18 Discussion

jacobpaige - Mar 29, 2008

22 by Lil-Bird »»
Mar 14, 9:46 PM

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 10 Discussion

CyanideKoolaid - Jan 25, 2009

14 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 25, 2023 5:52 PM

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 5 Discussion

CyanideKoolaid - Jan 23, 2009

26 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 25, 2023 7:13 AM

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 4 Discussion

CyanideKoolaid - Jan 23, 2009

38 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 25, 2023 6:34 AM

» [Deleted]

JustOscar - Jun 30, 2023

2 by Karinara »»
Jul 12, 2023 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.