Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 17, 2009 9:15 PM

Nov 2006
@Motoko and Blind - I'm actually surprised that you two gave Harry Potter a not so bad rating. So far everyone I've talked to has been really disappointed in the movie...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2009 9:42 PM

Sep 2008
If you base your opinions solely on the movie, without comparing it to the book, it's really not bad at all. So far, I've met just as many people who say its awful as I have people who say its the greatest Potter film ever.
Jul 18, 2009 12:52 PM

Jul 2007
Saw Brüno today...

I guess it's kind of hard for me to review it since it's not really the typical film.

It's offensive, graphic and crude but hard to tear your eyes away from. It's funny and is loaded with situations to provide social commentary as expected, but this one seems to be more straight forwardly played for laughs than a lot of the segments from Da Ali G Show. Throughout the film it was hard for me to tell what was scripted and what was "real" which either says the world is more insane than I imagined or there's some real clever writing here. Overall, it was very enjoyable and as messed up a character as Bruno is, you still sort of wanted to root for him. I wasn't expecting certain things coming into it, namely the Lutz character who was my most favourite part of the film. Even in a movie like this, I thought that he provided a little heart to the "story".
After reading more about the production, the craftiness of the set up for a lot of the segments is very impressive and the pay off was great.

This movie isn't for everyone though, if you're easily offended or even averagely offended, you'd probably get out of your seat 15 minutes in.

Overall, it was about what I was expecting and I enjoyed it pretty well. 7.5/10
Jul 18, 2009 8:34 PM

Mar 2008
ivorykeys said:
@Motoko and Blind - I'm actually surprised that you two gave Harry Potter a not so bad rating. So far everyone I've talked to has been really disappointed in the movie...

well I never read the book so as a movie goes its was not bad.
Stay thirsty, my friends.
Jul 19, 2009 7:10 PM

Oct 2008
Saw Ponyo recently (at a cinema so I thought it worthy of comment), my main comment would be; amazingly adorable but not to the point of disgust. The pastel animation could annoy some (it can often seem quite basic), but it's still another really well told story by Miyazaki. The inclusion of subjects like DNA manipulation and the effects of changes to earths' gravitational field were a little strange, but more than welcome for the older audiences amusement. (8/10)

Also saw Thirst (Korean strange dark comedy flick), a film about a guy who was a priest by day, and a vice craving sexualised vampire by night. Usually starting his nightly activities off with a good hearty blood-bong. The first half was very light with a few awkward or odd scenes, those who may find this too slow or boring will be more than satisfied as the movie progresses to more ruthless and inevitably interesting scenes. I don't wish to give anything away, but would highly recommend this to those who aren't too squeemish and are interested in a different take on the vampire story. (8/10)

Bruno was as ruthless as Borat if not more so, tearing the audience to pieces in several different ways. Bruno's 'co-stars' had already torn themselves apart long ago. I agree with Kohikki's points on the film also (see above)
Jul 20, 2009 7:55 PM

Jul 2008
Finally managed to see the Graduate, I've been wanting to see that movie forever but never got the chance until I found it at my local video store recently and decided to rent it. Two words:
Absolutely. Amazing.

One of the funniest movies I have ever seen, hands down. It had very intelligent and mature humor mixed in with slapstick that seemingly everyone except me likes but it was in well-placed doses and not annoying as is the case with many comedies. The plot was good but after about an hour into the film it turned ... strange, would be the only word I can figure out how to describe it. Still, it was wonderful. Great acting on all counts, amazing music (of course), a good plot, and fantastic humor. A must see for anyone and everyone in my opinion, even if you may not love it as much as I did.

It gets a 9 out of 10.
Jul 20, 2009 8:34 PM

Sep 2008
Aladdin: re-watched it last night, and its still amazing. Definitely in my top 3 Disney movies of all time. I never realized how short it was. It felt like it was over before it started. Maybe its just that movies are overly long these days. 9/10

Watched all of the Riddick series a couple days ago.
Pitch Black: Much better than I thought it would be, but the CGI looks very dated. Still, the movie is less about the monsters, and more about the mindgames. 8/10

Dark Fury: Good, but not fantastic. I would have been really pissed if I was one of those people who bought the DVD of this alone. 7/10

Chronicles of Riddick: I just found it silly. The CGI was fantastic, but the story was just dumb (so now he's part of some master race that can save the universe? yeah, no). It was hilarious seeing Karl Urban in this movie though (I really want him to play Chris Redfield if they ever make an RE5 movie), his character's design was gross. 7/10

Hardboiled: good, if a little confusing at times. The action was great, but that's pretty much to be expected of a John Woo/Chow Yun Fat movie. 8/10
Jul 23, 2009 5:48 AM

Apr 2008
Thank You For Smoking is one funny film. Eckhart makes the film, he could sell ice cubes to eskimos. His performance is humorous and quite charming. To be honest everybody was funny in this, not one character was lacking. Check it out.

Alucard and Seras

Jul 23, 2009 11:30 AM

Jul 2008
Watched Oldboy a second time, this time after reading the manga. I must say that the film far surpasses it. While the manga was focused on suspense and dragged on a bit at times, the movie had better character development and the motives were clearer and more reasonable. I'm sure this is my favorite of the vengeance trilogy now, and probably in my top ten movies overall.
Jul 23, 2009 10:35 PM

Mar 2008
The Great Mouse Detective: I love this movie, it is my favorite Disney Disney movie. (My favorite movie that has stuff that sell at disney theme parks is the Nightmare Before Christmas) I love the characters and the story is good too! Classic disney movies are the best! 10/10.

Fanboys: It was good, enjoyable. I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone though. 7/10.
Jul 25, 2009 1:21 PM

Aug 2008
Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince: I'm sad to say this, but it was very disappointing.

Oh well... I'll just look at this film as a trampoline to the big finale, nothing more. I'd love to see Alfonso Cuarón (or even Mike Newell) directing the last two movies, but if it can't be done, then David Yates, please remember what you've done in The Order of the Phoenix.
Jul 25, 2009 2:58 PM

Oct 2008
Lol Lesbian Vampire Killers, the end was disappointing but the filling was great... I didn't really listen to much of the dialogue, though got most of the visuals
Jul 29, 2009 10:10 AM

Nov 2006
Batman. The 1989 one with Jack Nicholson in it as the original Joker. It doesn't matter how many times I see this movie...I still love it. Amazing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2009 6:38 PM

Jul 2007
The last movie I saw was Julie & Julia which was.... painfully average. There were a few amusing bits but the whole thing was very bland. The husband characters whose only roles it seemed were to crack jokes and love the main characters unconditionally, were actually my favourite characters because at least they had a humour about everything. I do think without the whole Julia story it would've been a good deal better but it had it, so it wasn't. ....5/10

And now a movie that wasn't the last I saw but I haven't reviewed yet, but feel like reviewing just because I loved it so much.

(500) Days of Summer. This movie was way more than I expected it to be. Having not really seen much of the tv spots or trailers for this before going on recommendation of a friend, I wasn't really sure what to expect. But, from the very beginning I was immediately hooked. I cared about Tom and I wanted to know what had happened between him and Summer from the first scenes they showed. The format of the movie was excellent as well. By not showing it straight forward, it showed the relationship how Tom was remembering it, all the good bits first and then finally we saw the parts that weren't so good. The characters were interesting and full of charm but still realistic and very easy to relate to. There's just so much life and heart in this movie, Zooey and Joseph's performances were excellent. All and all, I really couldn't find any flaws with it. Maybe if I went back and picked it apart down to pieces I would find something, but why bother? I loved this movie.
..........9.5/10 (and the soundtrack is killer too.)
Jul 31, 2009 9:53 PM

Mar 2008
Rashomon: It was good. Not the best movie I have seen, but I liked how it showed how first hand stories aren't always reliable. That people change certain things to make them look better. 7/10.

Tokyo Story: It protrayed families pretty well and how things change through generations of a family. It was good and the acting was good as well. 8/10.

Out of the Past: It was good film noir. 7/10.

The Defiant Ones: It was very good. Tony Curtis and Sidney Poitier did a great job in it. It was great to see how having to survive made them become great friends and even the ending was good, it showed just how much they cared about one another. I don't really want to spoil anything though, so I'll leave it at that. 8/10.
Aug 2, 2009 12:36 AM
Sep 2007
Over the last month or so, saw Blow-Up, Stalker, The General, Le Samourai, Clockork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Unforgiven, The 3rd Man, Samurai Rebellion, High Noon, Jules et Jim, Seven Samurai, Up, Shane, A Story of Floating Weeds, Shoeshine and Killer of Sheep, all ranging from great to excellent.
But I also saw African Queen, which despite being a classic had little to no plot. Blood Diamond, which was sentimental and preachy. Laura, which had plot holes and didn't stand out in any other compartment. Beyond the Sea, which was poorly directed by Kevin Spacey. Ideon: Be Invoked, which was cheesy beyond belief and redundant. Tokyo Godfathers was cheesy and the writing sucked. Apocalypse Now: Redux was filled with useless, detracted scenes. Sword of the Stranger seemed akin to a stupid cheesy children's movie and had a poor plot/characters. Seven Pounds was a emotionally manipulative melodrama. Gone With the Wind, despite being well-written and influential, also was a sickening melodrama. And Harry Potter 6 felt like it was written by a prepubescent fanfiction writer.

lolwalloftext
Aug 3, 2009 12:27 PM

Jul 2007
Saw Funny People,
Though it had some entertaining bits and laughs, in general I wasn't too impressed. The storyline with Simmons' (Sandler) old flame and him trying to win her back lasted too long, I felt (especially since I wasn't crazy about his character from the get go) I thought that the movie could have benefited from cutting about 50 minutes off it and focusing more on Ira (Rogen) and his roommates than Simmons who was just generally not a very interesting or likable character. The first half was good, a little above average, but the second half was sort of mediocre bordering on bits I thought were just bad.
Overall, nothing special.
.... 5/10
Aug 4, 2009 7:43 AM

Jul 2008
Picked up a copy of Versus on VHS, yes some of us still own and use our VCRs, at a used shop recently. ...Wow. If you like the crazy gory action films from Japan, you need to check this out. It's like a live action Ninja Scroll mixed in with the utter awesomeness and senselessness of Go Nagai, fantastic. I'd say that it's worth picking up if you can find it. If you want my full thoughts on the film just check out my review here. I would've posted it up here but it's fairly indepth.

Anyway Versus gets a tentative 4.5/5, unless you pay more than ten dollars for it then the score drops exponentially.
Aug 17, 2009 11:06 AM

Aug 2008
Watched Valkyrie yesterday. I always enjoy watching films about WWII. It was thrilling, tragic and in the end they looked very heroic. Well, it was based on a true story after all. I'd give a 10 for the acting, but 8/10 for overall.
Aug 19, 2009 5:09 PM

Aug 2008
Bruno: If you're looking for a shocking experience, this is it.
Aug 21, 2009 12:56 PM

Apr 2008
Inglourious Basterds was great. Way better than Kill Bill. Christoph Waltz as Colonel Landa was the perfect villain. Ranks fight up there with Heath's Joker and Bardem's Chigurh. Brad Pitt was pretty fun, I havent enjoyed him this much in a long long time. Check it out.

Alucard and Seras

Aug 27, 2009 11:47 PM

Jul 2008
Inglourious Basterds might be Tarantino's best. I was blown away. I really want to see it again sometime soon.
Waltz should win best actor at the Oscars. Not even best supporting actor. Best Actor. I don't know what determines which category though.
Sep 3, 2009 8:40 PM

Jul 2007
Looks like everyone's been seeing Inglourious Basterds. XD

My last too, was Inglourious Basterds.
From the very first scene I was immediately drawn in. The setting, the characters, the relationships the dialogue. Everything. My favourite part was without a doubt, Hans Landa who is possibly my favourite character in anything I've seen. He's just the epitome of what I love to see in a character. A very smart antagonist, charming and out for no one but himself. The film's progression plot-wise was always unexpected and excellently done. Tarantino's style made the whole thing near perfection.
While I wouldn't put it above Pulp Fiction, it definitely holds a high spot on my list of favourite Tarantino films... or films in general.
If you haven't seen this, you definitely should.

10/10.
Sep 3, 2009 9:54 PM

Mar 2008
It has been a while since I've talked about the last movie I watch, so there is a long list of stuff.

Monkey Business, Horse Feathers, The Cocoanuts, Animal Crackers, and Duck Soup: I'm rating all of these together since they are all Marx Brothers films. Duck Soup was my favorite, but they were all good. They all made me laugh, Goucho is really funny. So in order of title, here are the ratings: 3.5, 4, 3, 4, 4.5

Akira: This was a rewatch, but I hadn't seen it in such a long time. It was good, but much different than I remember. 3.5.

When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: It was good. The acting was good as well. It is about a womans life in a host club in Japan during the 60s. It has a lot of good character interactions and makes you think about topics that you might not normal think about. 4/5.

Grave of the Fireflies: This is a rewatch as well. It was good, just as sad as I remember, but I didn't cry this time. 4.5/5.

Crazed Fruit: It was good. The brother in the film was a total gerk and the girl was a slut. I felt bad for the little brother. I didn't feel bad at all for them at the end. I had an idea that was how it was going to end. 3.5/5.

Pride and Prejudice: This is the version from the 30s. It was pretty good, it was different from the britsh mini series version, I think they changed some stuff from the book. Still a good watch though. 3.5/5.

Ponyo: It was a good watch. Very cute. Not my favorite Miyazaki film, but fun to watch none the less. It was pretty to look at as well. The kid having the save the world by proving his love was a bit weird, but I just like to take it as a more family like love than romantic love. hahaha. 4/5.

Spirited Away: Another rewatch. I still like it, even after rewatching it like 3 times. My second or third favorite Miyazaki film! The story and characters are great. The art is nice as well. 5/5.

Hannah Montana: The Movie: It was cute. A little corny at parts, especially the end, but it wasn't bad. If you like the show, you will enjoy the movie. 3/5.

Woman of the Dunes: It was good. The story was interesting and fun to watch. It was quite a long film, but wasn't boring. The character development was very good! 4/5.

Wizards: The concept was an interesting one, but I thought it was super boring. The story was super slow and parts of it were pretty predictable. 2.5/5.

Rock and Rule: It was pretty good. I liked it better than Wizards, which was the other more adult cartoon I watched. The music was fine and the story wasn't bad. 3/5.

There Will Be Blood: It was pretty good. I liked it better than I thought I would. The ending was great though. I thought the scene where he made him eat dirt was kinda funny too. I don't know if it was suppose to be funny though. 4/5.

Inglourious Basterds: It was good. Funny at parts and enjoyable to watch the whole time. I liked it better than some of Quentin Tarantino films. I was sad that some of my favorite characters died off so early though. I wish they had lived a little bit longer. 4/5.
Sep 4, 2009 1:50 PM

Jul 2008
I finally got my hands on a copy of the unrated cut of Ichi the Killer, the 2 disc blood bag edition, and oh my God was it awesome. I've always been a fan of Takeheshi Miike's stuff (forgive me if I'm not spelling that right.) ever since I saw Audition. But none of his movies really come close to the greatness of Ichi the Killer. It's so sadistic and so ungodly funny at the same time, you simply can't turn away. And the camera flips back and forth between arthouse and guerilla that you can't really find a genre to place the movie. Throw in a good story, some great selection of the actors and you've got a kickass movie.

Anyone who has not seen this movie needs to find it some way or another. Hands down, 5/5.
Sep 4, 2009 3:17 PM

Apr 2008
I don't know which version of Ichi I saw, but it was great nonetheless.

Alucard and Seras

Sep 4, 2009 5:26 PM

Aug 2008
Public Enemies: Yawn. The story could've been told in an hour and a half. I didn't find any character specially interesting. The shooting parts were boring. Good acting wasn't enough to save this movie.

Inglourious Basterds: I loved this movie, it was the most entertaining thing I've seen in a long time. Landa was a glorious villain, the Basterds were crazy funny. My favorite scene was the meeting between Bridget and the Basterds in the tavern, it was absolutely hilarious.
However, the ending wasn't nearly as good as the rest of the film; the negotiation part felt rushed and I think the way Landa underestimated Aldo by setting him free was a bit dumb. Also I was expecting a lot more violence and blood scenes coming from the Basterds, it was very soft.
It's still awesome, though.

Ponyo: Amazing art, I couldn't stop staring at the sea/water, they were so well animated. All the characters are lovable, Ponyo being one of the cutest characters I've ever seen. The plot isn't that interesting nor creative, but overall it was nice to watch.
Sep 4, 2009 10:16 PM

Jul 2008
The Godfather
Obviously great.

Reservoir Dogs
Also great, but less obviously than The Godfather.

FALLEN101 said:
I finally got my hands on a copy of the unrated cut of Ichi the Killer, the 2 disc blood bag edition, and oh my God was it awesome. I've always been a fan of Takeheshi Miike's stuff (forgive me if I'm not spelling that right.) ever since I saw Audition. But none of his movies really come close to the greatness of Ichi the Killer. It's so sadistic and so ungodly funny at the same time, you simply can't turn away. And the camera flips back and forth between arthouse and guerilla that you can't really find a genre to place the movie. Throw in a good story, some great selection of the actors and you've got a kickass movie.

Anyone who has not seen this movie needs to find it some way or another. Hands down, 5/5.

Ichi is absolutely a piece of tasteless trash that rejects any sort of morals at all in favor of offensive sensationalized violence.
God damn is that movie awesome. Every time I watch it part of me dies inside, but it's so enjoyable anyway.
Miike is awesome. I prefer Audition and Gozu to Ichi though.
Sep 6, 2009 8:59 PM

Aug 2008
The Godfather II - I've never sat through a so long movie straight and not being distracted by anything. Yeah, I liked it much.

21 - Entertaining I guess, some college life touch and some Las Vegas. The old casino owner case pretty much made it more serious and not some partey-up-movie.

Inglourious Basterds - This is love. I laughed so much. The funniest was probably when they were 'speaking' Italian. I think I'll watch it more than 10 times in my lifetime.
Sep 14, 2009 7:06 PM

Jul 2008
Andyroo said:

Ichi is absolutely a piece of tasteless trash that rejects any sort of morals at all in favor of offensive sensationalized violence.
God damn is that movie awesome. Every time I watch it part of me dies inside, but it's so enjoyable anyway.
Miike is awesome. I prefer Audition and Gozu to Ichi though.

When I read that first part I thought I was going to have to hit you in the face because that sound like what my mom would think about it but you saved yourself witht the last bit. I don't find it tasteless at all, if anything it's pushing the envelope as far as it can be pushed without going into freefall. Not only is it sensational violence throughout, but it actually is much deeper than that, it's a deeply psychological film about the monster living inside all of us and all that gets looked over because of the ludacrous amounts of violence.

I mean when you watch it, who do you think the antagonist is? No one really, because everyone in it is fucked up. Sure Kakihara or Ichi is probably the most so but during the last scene I found myself cheering for both of them. Both of them were monsters, Kakihara created himself whereas Ichi was created by someone else Jijii, who then used him for his own agenda. So is he the antagonist, the villain of the piece or what?

Even Ichi's second female victim brought it upon herself by trying to seduce him by pretending to be his old teacher. While I hate to say it, this movie shows everyone that no one is innocent. Not men, not women, not even children. No one in it is a hero, no one in it is a villain. They are all various shades of gray, some being darker than others.

Sure it's violent, sure it's crazy, but tasteless trash? I disagree.

Sorry, went on a tangent there....
Sep 19, 2009 8:20 AM

Apr 2008
My Lord, Year of the Dragon was a bad movie! Avoid at all costs! The only good thing was John Lone. Everything else = crap.

Alucard and Seras

Sep 20, 2009 10:37 AM

Nov 2006
I saw "The Informant" last night. I'm honestly not really sure what to make of it. When I first saw the trailer, I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a funny movie or a drama/suspense FBI kinda movie. But when I saw it, the only word that came to mind that could possibly describe it was "random". It was random. The plot was pretty good, music was pretty good, and there was a slight twist at the end, but throughout the entire movie I found myself constantly thinking, "What the hell?" It did have its funny parts but it certainly was not suspenseful at all. In fact, I found myself getting quite annoyed with the main character during some parts of it. Don't get me wrong here. I LOVE Matt Damon. So far all the movies I've seen with him in it have been fantastic! But his character in this movie certainly won't make my Top 20. This is most certainly one movie I could have waited to see on DVD or even TV.
Sep 25, 2009 11:48 AM

Aug 2008
Saw ''The Soviet Story'' in the cinema a few hours ago. I wouldn't comment the subject, after all everyone has their own beliefs. This film is certainly going to take a part of my becoming worldview.
Well, in general, it was......... Just can't say without commenting, it was cruel. Even almost made me cry.
I'm not educated well enough, yet, to give it a score.
Sep 26, 2009 11:15 PM

Jul 2008
The Savages

Very good. Sad and thought provoking about old age.
Can't go wrong with PSH either. Have yet to see him in a bad movie.
Oct 2, 2009 1:08 PM

Apr 2008
Zombieland was a lot of fun. The entire cast was great, but Woody was by far the best. Check it out.

Alucard and Seras

Oct 10, 2009 5:00 PM

Oct 2007
I liked that Emma Stone chick and the way her boobies bounced when they took apart that Indian store.

Also, I had to run from the cops for being on the set while they were filming... well, they weren't filming at the time, but that stretch of highway was shut down, and me and a friend were exploring when the cops came through.
Oct 12, 2009 10:28 PM
Jan 2009
Just saw Christopher Nolan's Memento... wasn't bowled over by it. Aesthetically speaking it's commendable, and I appreciate the balls to do something so bizarre with the film's narrative structure... but ultimately it just felt kinda gimmicky. Like The Dark Knight, it seemed more interested in LOOKING like a good movie than actually BEING a good movie. It was just one of those movies that tries really hard to be good and noteworthy, but ultimately doesn't really have a soul. Which I'm starting to think is pretty much Christopher Nolan in a nutshell for me.
I got Blue Velvet the other day, though, as quite a few people have told me that I would like David Lynch and that Blue Velvet is his best film. I'll probably watch it relatively soon; I have high expectations for it. Just hope they're not too high. (The last film I had extra-high expectations for was American Beauty, and I ended up being massively disappointed.)
Oct 18, 2009 8:46 AM

Jul 2008
Blue Velvet is incredible and it should blow you away if you like strange films. If not ... well, it might not be your cup of tea. Honestly though, it is my absolute favorite movie, the only ones that come close are Ichi the Killer and Funny Games.
Oct 19, 2009 11:32 PM
Jan 2009
Man, you love your sadistic violence, huh?
Oct 20, 2009 4:15 PM

Apr 2008
Sadistic violence is the best kind of violence.

Alucard and Seras

Oct 28, 2009 3:55 PM
Jan 2009
I just saw A Serious Man last night... I love the Coens, but really I just don't know what to make of it. I'm genuinely baffled. I may have to see it again to form a clearer opinion of it. Just like their last two films, the ending came completely out of nowhere and my head's still spinning from it. (Well, to be fair, at least in No Country For Old Men the ending, while unexpected, did make sense once I thought about it a little. Burn After Reading just felt like it was prematurely cut off. And this one... I just don't know what to make of this.)
Nov 3, 2009 3:13 PM

Jul 2008
gatotsu911 said:
Man, you love your sadistic violence, huh?

Sadistic violence is the violence that makes you smile. :D But seriously, Blue Velvet is a must see.

gatotsu911 said:
Just like their last two films, the ending came completely out of nowhere and my head's still spinning from it. (Well, to be fair, at least in No Country For Old Men the ending, while unexpected, did make sense once I thought about it a little. Burn After Reading just felt like it was prematurely cut off. )

As for the Coens:
Burn After Readings ending really wasn't meant to make sense, it was to show the blunders that the CIA/FBI (Don't exactly remember which) makes all the time. Everyone thinks that they are these high and mighty people who can never do wrong when really they're only people who don't have any more idea about what's going on in the world than we do. That's what the ending is all about, how all this heaping pile of nothing becomes such a big deal due to paranoia and then when it's all over, no one really knows what happened or why and neither should the viewer. That's probably why you didn't get it, it wasn't meant to be fully gotten.

As for A Serious Man ... yeah have yet to see that one so I'll let you know my opinion when I do.

However did see perhaps the greatest movie of the 2000s over the weekend, a little half buried gem called Brick. An absolutely positively genius, jaw-dropping, stunning, awe-inspiring, hands down beautiful movie. Everyone out there YOU NEED TO SEE THIS! I seriously mean that. The plot is perfectly crafted and fluid, although it takes about twenty minutes of film for you to really figure out what in God's name is going on, the characters are quirky with their own little ticks, the movie is dark, it is humorous, it is well-shot. God, I could go on about it all day. Suffice to say, you need to check this one out. I ended up buying it from a bargain bin for $5 and it was worth every cent. You will not be disappointed and if you like dark dramas or noir films, this is really one you need to see. I only hope that the director has something else coming out soon because this was one of his first efforts so I'd love to see what he puts out after he gets some experience.

10 out of 10 for Brick.
Nov 3, 2009 10:15 PM

Jul 2008
Brick is indeed awesome. I second his recommendation.
Nov 4, 2009 4:07 AM

Jul 2007
gatotsu911 said:
I just saw A Serious Man last night... I love the Coens, but really I just don't know what to make of it. I'm genuinely baffled. I may have to see it again to form a clearer opinion of it. Just like their last two films, the ending came completely out of nowhere and my head's still spinning from it. (Well, to be fair, at least in No Country For Old Men the ending, while unexpected, did make sense once I thought about it a little. Burn After Reading just felt like it was prematurely cut off. And this one... I just don't know what to make of this.)

Totally agree with you on that one. Except I understood the ending place of Burn After Reading as well so this was kind of a surprise for me. >.<

A Serious Man... I sort of widened my eyes in confusion when the lights came on in the theatre at the end. Then the credits rolled and all I could say was "...Huh."
The movie overall was definitely interesting if not a little confusing. Admittedly, I had to get up to refill the popcorn for my brother once during it, and apparently missed a pretty important scene. Overall, I'd say it's hard to define just what exactly that movie was about. (I came in late too... so I might've missed something important in the opening scene as well...) I think this might be one of those movies you have to watch a second time to fully get, sort of like Synecdoche NY.
Nov 5, 2009 10:37 AM

Mar 2008
The Heathers: It was pretty good, had some funny parts. I don't like Christian Slater though, so the movie probably would have been rated higher if he hadn't been in it. 3.5/5.

Freeway: This was interesting. My mom said it was really funny, but I didn't find it that much. There were a few funny parts, but I thought it was going to be funnier. 3/5.

M: This is an old german movie. It was good. There were a lot of awkward silence though, because in American films, they add background noise to scenes that don't have any. You got use to it after a while though. 4/5.
Nov 5, 2009 12:15 PM
Jan 2009
Oh, I get perfectly well what the Coens were trying to say with Burn After Reading. That doesn't mean the ending felt any less abrupt, though. I really should see it again.

I'll have to check out this "Brick", as well...
Nov 5, 2009 8:15 PM

Apr 2008
Brick amazing, just watched it. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a spectacular actor. I would also recommend The Lookout.

Alucard and Seras

Nov 7, 2009 11:37 AM

Jul 2008
Oh yeah, The Lookout was spectacular. Speaking of which, have the directors of The Lookout and Brick done anything else? Both were so good but I haven't ever really seen the directors' names anywhere else.
Nov 7, 2009 3:34 PM
Jan 2009
Just saw The Box last night. Like Donnie Darko before it, the film is markedly bizarre, needlessly confusing, doesn't always make sense, and seems more than once to forget to explain something to the viewers that they're supposed to know (or do so in an unnecessarily nonsensical or convoluted manner). Also like Donnie Darko, however, it's strikingly imaginitive, emotionally compelling, and truly haunting. It is an improvement for Kelly storytelling-wise, as this one at the very least makes some degree of sense without requiring supplemental materials. It's also one of the creepiest films I've seen in quite some time. Many people are bound to hate it (mainstream critics already don't seem to be taking too kindly to it, if Metacritic is to be believed), but I'm confident that it, too, is destined to become a cult classic soon enough. Who knows, maybe in another couple years we'll see another Director's Cut by Richard Kelly to fill in the gaping plot holes left in THIS one.

Just one more word of warning for any potential viewers: don't see this movie in a theater packed with teenagers who either liked Donnie Darko or are going to see the latest PG-13 horror flick. I almost considered walking out because some annoying valley girls were incessantly giggling and whispering throughout and shrieking like all get-out whenever something even remotely shocking occurred. God. Teenagers.
Ni_Go_Zero_IchiNov 7, 2009 3:39 PM
Dec 28, 2009 4:26 PM

Mar 2009
Just saw Martyrs a french thriller/horror and I can honestly say it was one of the most unpleasent films I have seen in a long time. Think of David Lynch (in his early days) making Hostel and you would get a 1/4 of how mortifying this film truly is.

The story realy centres around a 20 ish girl who for some reason got physically tourtered but escaped and 15 years later gets revenge - but realy thats when the story starts.

The film contains alot of brutal violence and torture and even at times I felt really uncomfortable watching, but unlike Hostel or similar films this for me goes 4 steps futher in WTF are they doing this for.

Would I recommend this? In a word yes though you will probably suss out the plot half way through and the protaganists are cold (for obvious reasons if you watch it) the sheer intensity of the film, photography and lack of dialogue creates a great hour and three quarters.

Just don't take someone on a first date to see it :P

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite Romance/Romance-esque Movies

FALLEN101 - Feb 23, 2010

5 by Ni_Go_Zero_Ichi »»
Jul 4, 2012 1:17 AM

» Favorite Flicks

1eyedjoker - Dec 28, 2008

22 by Ni_Go_Zero_Ichi »»
Jul 4, 2012 1:06 AM

» Least favorite movies.

removed-user - Jun 17, 2009

21 by YoungVagabond »»
Jan 10, 2011 11:27 PM

» What's your 'plan to watch' list?

Milk-plus__ - Jan 26, 2009

13 by sunup »»
Jan 10, 2011 3:35 PM

» New Trailer Thread ( 1 2 )

1eyedjoker - Apr 3, 2009

78 by FALLEN101 »»
Feb 27, 2010 1:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.