Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 15, 2013 1:23 AM

Feb 2012
Not as good as KyoAni's other series... but it was enjoyable anyway.
Apr 22, 2013 7:33 AM

Mar 2011
Eh dat ending.
I want Tamako x Mochi!!!

The show was fun.. gonna miss it.
Apr 23, 2013 5:27 PM
Apr 2011
One of the saddest endings I've ever watched...

6.8/10

KyoAni animation is impressive as always. They are damn consistent.
4 8 15 16 23 42 4 8 15 16 23 42 4 8 15 16 23 42 4 8 15 16 23 42

http://putridcheese.deviantart.com
http://www.booksie.com/tosh/
http://stoptazmo.com/
Apr 24, 2013 9:57 PM
Apr 2013
Tamako Market is the cutest anime I've seen in so long. I loved just about everything about it. Mostly I enjoyed the way everyone cared so deeply for Tamako. She's a sweet girl that only wants to live her life and make enjoyable mochi and I thought it was great to see that not everything has to end up with a big, banging finale or life-changing moment. Tamako is the way she is and she's just fine with that - and so is everyone else.

More than that, though, I wanted to see a little more development when it came to her father's back story. We got the gist of it and all, but it was so adorable in the tiny slot of time it had, and I wanted to see more of Tamako's mother, just to see if Tamako was anything like her. And the whole story with the prince and finding his princess and all.

And I don't know about anyone else, but holy crap, Mochizou was the most adorable thing in the entire universe to me. His crush on Tamako, his shy ways, the whole calling Tamako's father dad and then being reprimanded. His entire being was just amazing for me. He reminded me so much of Kazehaya from Kimi Ni Todoke also, and Kazehaya's one of my favorite anime male leads ever, so there's that.

Overall though, I thought Tamako Market was relaxing, cute, and enjoyable. A second season would be the best thing ever, but if that is not going to be something that happens, I'm fine with it as is. :)
Apr 25, 2013 12:05 AM

Jun 2008
So it's over. Well it was a nice cute relax little series but hardly something memorable or exciting and i guess that about it. If you watch it for the story you would be disappointed if you watch it because you just came home tired of the bricks in your work and simply want to watch something warm and cute to feel better then i guess it will be really nice.
Apr 27, 2013 9:03 AM

Oct 2009
So basically... nothing happened. Nothing interesting, at least. Quite disappointed in this, I looked forward to this at the beginning of the season but now I kind of regret watching it just because it's KyoAni. They could have done this so much better. Plus, I never laughed at this. Animation was flashy though, as always. Cute does not equal a good anime, so this gets a 4/10 from me.
Apr 28, 2013 9:42 PM

Dec 2012
Great show, has a certain charm to it and lovable characters.

Underwhelming ending, but nonetheless satisfying. The show could have had a higher ceiling, but it gets an 8/10 from me.
May 5, 2013 3:16 PM

Aug 2012
I greatly enjoyed Tamako Market and loved the atmosphere it created. Kyoto Animation, you sure know how to satiate my soul with these masterpieces.
May 10, 2013 5:44 AM

Sep 2011
Nice ending to the show :)
Tamako telling about her life in the market and Dera trying to talk the prince out of the marriage (which turned out to be a mistake though) was nice to see, but Dera leaving without a goodbye was sad.
But I was happy again when Dera accidentaly lay down in Mochizou's box :D
Choi touched her necklace (or whatever that golden ring is called)... could she also have a birthmark under it? I hope so, because that would mean they can married :D I'm pretty sure that's what she wants :)

This was a pretty funny anime. Of course it wasn't anything spectacular or even new, but it was really good at making me laugh and it also had that healing/soothing effect that some shows have (like Aria, Tamayura and even K-On!), so it did its job alright.
It didn't have much of a story, just a little one, but that was done fine.
The characters were the strongest point of this anime and they were pretty much all loveable, I could not name anyone that I didn't like at least a bit. There was some character development, but I would have hoped to see a bit more (24 episodes would have been better for so many characters).
My favorite has to be Anko, she was just so cute :)
My order of favorites: Anko > Dera and Tamako > Choi, Midori and Mochizou
My only problem with the characters was that they sometimes reminded me of the characters of K-On!. I like K-On! so it's not bad in that sense, but I just don't want to see another cast that's like them.
I'm also sad that the romance didn't really go anywhere in the end. I hoped that poor Mochizou would get together with Tamako :) Midori would have been fine as well though :D (I'm pretty sure she has romantic feelings for Tamako).
Like I said, the comedy was great, especially when Dera was around.
I didn't really have a problem with the reusing of the K-On! animation style.

The anime gets an 8/10 from me, would like to see a 2nd season of it. Until then I might rewatch this in the future if I need something to make me happy :)
RazielZeroMay 10, 2013 5:48 AM
May 14, 2013 8:10 PM

May 2013
Ahh, I really loved this anime :'D
I felt like it was completely HILARIOUS at the beginning of the series, then slowly lost its humor towards the latter part, but nevertheless kept me laughing all the way C:

I LOOOVVVEEEE how cocky Dera can be and the way he struts, LOLOL. Plus, how the Mochimazzwi family thinks sneezing is a declaration of love *diesss* XD
I'm glad that Shiori-chan's character developed and she grew out of her shyness enough to show that she's a very sweet girl who cares for her friends. At first, I didn't really like her too much since she seemed arrogant and not acknowledging of Tamako's friendship, but I grew to be fond of her (: Her personality just lacks confidence, so she has trouble being social.

The prince's bodyguards reminded me of Ultimate Muscle, haha.
I expected Choi-chan to end up being the princess, but oh well. One day :]
Anko is such a cutie pie! Too bad she didn't tell Yuzuki-kun that she likes him ^__^
I also thought the florist was either gay or androgynous because she sounds like a guy, hahaha XD She's still pretty though <3 and I felt bad for Afro-man's unrequited love D; but he'll be okay~
Not to mention, the record store owner is soooo deep and insightful! Gosh, he gives out the best proverbs to the point where I don't even understand some of it, LOL.

The only thing is that I wish there was more romance between Tamako and Mochi-kun TT___TT I know they're still young and only high school freshmen, but still! I was rooting for himmm D; Oh, and I'm pretty sure Midori-chan has a girl crush on Tamako :P

I also wanted to see more of Tamako's mom and dad love story. That was my favorite episode. It was so cute seeing him blush ^.^ Or just something more about her mom in the picture. It's okay though.

With only 12 eps, they did a pretty good job. I would definitely recommend to other people ;D
Kokoro_KotashimaMay 14, 2013 8:17 PM
May 20, 2013 1:07 AM

Nov 2008
That part where Dera was leaving was nicely done. It almost brought a tear to my eye. I'm not sure it is was good to leave him there.

I enjoyed the ride and I'm glad I finished this, even though it took me a while.

8/10
May 21, 2013 1:29 PM

May 2012
Pretty decent ending, was quite sweet actually! Good that she didn't went for it but still made it quite remarkable! A nice ending for this kind of anime! 7/10
RafaelDeJonghMay 22, 2013 3:25 AM
May 23, 2013 10:31 AM

Aug 2011
It didn't try to push jokes on the viewer like Chuunibyou and the quality of the anime itself is a lot more consistent than Hyouka. A really nice Slice of Life with likable characters and it didn't overuse certain ''gags'' in contrary to Minami-ke for example. First KyoAni show I enjoyed from the beginning to the end!
7/10
May 28, 2013 11:04 PM

Apr 2009
LovingHate said:
I'M GONNA CRY
I hope KyoAni comes out with something similar to Tamako Market just with a more satisfaction for viewers sigh
i didn't really like the ending but it wasnt too bad
i sorta sad mochizou never confessed, i really wanted to confess right at the end oh well

this.
May 29, 2013 2:25 AM

Feb 2012
I WANT A 2ND SEASON. ;3;
Jul 14, 2013 3:45 PM

Nov 2012
damn it is finally end :X
it is a nice anime :3
in the end ouji is not come to take tamako but to take dera and choi XD that moment when tamako opening the present and its dera XD lol XD not a sad happy ending but happy happy ending :p
(8/10)
Aug 25, 2013 11:05 AM

Sep 2011
The Prince and Choi and rooster spoiled the whole anime, and so very nice cute slice of life. 7/10.
Sep 5, 2013 8:48 PM

Jun 2012
Nice slice of life. Kind of series that is great to watch one or two at a time. 7/10
Oct 18, 2013 10:09 AM

Sep 2012
oreinjji said:
Eh dat ending.
I want Tamako x Mochi!!!

The show was fun.. gonna miss it.

& i want Tamako x Ooji
O My maybe u meant him to, both him & prince starts with Mochi, so i ton't get which one u meant :D
http://myanimelist.net/character/75186/Mochizou_Ooji
http://myanimelist.net/character/76058/Mecha_Mochimazzi
Jan 10, 2014 5:05 PM

Jan 2009
Oh i cried im so glad Dera stayed at the end WHY ISNT THIS 26 EPS
Well im gonna cry until the movie comes out
9/10 (Midori x Mochi btw)
Jan 12, 2014 4:06 AM

Apr 2007
In honor of finishing this show, I ate some mochi ...with ice cream in it. Sadly, I I don't live in a traditional Japanese mochi shop in a close-knit market community, so the only mochi I get is fusion cuisine from the mall.

But eh, 6/10. Less of the talking bird and more of Mochizou being adorbz please.
Jan 22, 2014 9:55 PM

Sep 2011
Man... this was a lot better than I thought it was going to be! The first episode was VERY average, but from the second episode onwards I was hooked! Loved it!
Mar 5, 2014 8:02 PM

Jul 2013
Why/What do people don't like [about] this show ? (still has a decent MAL score though)

Just finished it, it may not the the best plot wise but i found the characters (K-ON like) and events very enjoyable. I'll definitely watch the romance part on the movie.
Mar 23, 2014 12:14 PM

Mar 2010
lol... and aww.. No invite to the palace?
Mar 24, 2014 9:29 AM

Aug 2013
Nice ending, I'm really looking forward to watch "Love Story".
7/10
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 9, 2014 1:45 AM

Mar 2014
Well.. the Prince can be a quite air-head too!!
Mochiyucky... I mean Mochiyummy!!
Tamako's Decision!!
Dera's Plead!!
Well... PROBLEM SOLVED. Its a misunderstanding from the start anyways..
HOPE was revived!! ( for the two atleast lol!!)
Farewells and parting of paths .. (for now!!)
Christmas and New year!!
Damn.. Dera why did it went with that!! I almost cried for you shit!! (almost.)
Omedetou Tanjo-bi Tamako!!
Pretty good ending!!!
Great Episode!!!

Conclusion , It was a worth-while 12 episodes full of enjoyment and excitement.
One of the best "MOE" and "KAWAII" type of anime I ever seen!! and I grateful for KyoAni for successfully producing and creating such wonderful anime!!! Characters are really KAWAII :D
Only wish : PRODUCE MORE SEASONS and Best Wishes for the Sales :) (though, If the budget is not enough ... Well.. I completely satisfied with just OVAs and Movies :D)
Note : OP and ED were amazing!!! That ED song was really great!!!
Need also same animes like TAMAKO MARKET TOO!! (Same Characters is really needed.)
AnimeLaver01Jun 9, 2014 1:49 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2014 8:52 PM

Nov 2012
Honestly this was nothing special,basically nothing happened 5/10 (might lower to 4/10 eventually).
Sep 6, 2014 11:56 PM

Feb 2014
lol poor Kaana with her hammer. She deserved more screen time on the show. Also, she reminded me a bit of Rin from Katawa Shoujo.
That speech by Tamako was quite touching. The scene where Dera was leaving was also done very well. That weird bird grew on me over the course of the series.
And going by the way Choi was touching the ring(?) around her neck, seems like she also has a mole on her neck hiding behind it.
Overall, this show was quite enjoyable and gets a 6/10 from me. It would have been 7/10 had the first six episodes been as good as the second half.
Sep 8, 2014 4:10 PM
Aug 2013
Anko, is it legal to be so cute?
Oct 1, 2014 4:41 PM

Aug 2009
bawled once when tamako made her speech

bawled twice when kaoru closes the box while dera lies in it... thought he was gonna get shipped ;_;

glad to see mochizou save the day

onto dem specials nao

5/5 hands down
Oct 26, 2014 7:15 PM

Jul 2012
Ugh I had no interest to finish this but for the sake of watching the movie (which I'm hyping up to the max) I did. Plus, KyoAni graphics are always nice.

There's nothing I cared about other than Mochizou and Tamako's relationship. The other female characters were boring. The plot was boring. Even the episode with the father singing was boring.

Well, now I can watch the movie!

VanishingKira said:
Honestly this was nothing special,basically nothing happened 5/10 (might lower to 4/10 eventually).

Exactly my thoughts.
Dec 22, 2014 7:39 PM

Nov 2014
Ahh, the ending was super sweet.
Overall, I think I'll give the show a 7/10. The main story was definitely lacking, but the show was cute and enjoyable nonetheless.
Jan 12, 2015 4:29 PM
Aug 2007
I only watched this anime because I'd seen the movie score really well on MAL, but I have to admit I ended up really enjoying this show despite how low it is ranked.

The animation is extremely pretty to look at, the story is easy going and fun, and there were moments that hit hard emotionally.

A solid 8/10 for me.
Mar 15, 2015 7:17 AM

Oct 2013
Such a heartwarming series, definitely worth watching.. now onto the movie, i'm so excited to see Tamako x Mochizou moment xD

Overall score 8/10
Apr 2, 2015 1:28 PM

Oct 2012
I just cried a little every episode. 9/10

Apr 27, 2015 8:20 PM

Jan 2013
Raitei said:
I only watched this anime because I'd seen the movie score really well on MAL, but I have to admit I ended up really enjoying this show despite how low it is ranked.

The animation is extremely pretty to look at, the story is easy going and fun, and there were moments that hit hard emotionally.

A solid 8/10 for me.

I was thinking about this recently after watching the movie, and I think it's because even though the show itself wasn't spectacular, getting the character development we do in the show really enhances the viewing experience of the movie. We know Tamako and co. a lot better by the time we hit the movie because of the cour worth of watching them get fleshed out. So I feel it's a little unfair that anime fans generally give short shrift to Tamako Market; I would dare say it's required viewing before the movie.
May 14, 2015 9:24 PM

Aug 2013
It was ok. It may have come across as boring as some points, but that's slice of life at its finest. Just something mildly entertaining, that you can sit down and relax and watch.

Actually got really sad when I thought that Dera was going to leave. Glad he stayed.

Overall 7/10
Jul 23, 2015 10:38 PM

May 2015
Waaaaa I really liked the ending!! Dera in a box XDDD So kawaiiiii
Nov 22, 2015 6:27 AM

Apr 2009
I don't understand those people who are saying that this is better than Hyouka.
I'm a KyoAni fan, but this is the worst show that they made IMO.
No character development, jokes are not that funny and nothing happened in the whole series, plus that annoying bird.

4/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 12, 2016 11:09 PM

Aug 2015
Totally thought Dera was going to be shipped off somewhere. That was a pretty satisfying ending. 6/10
Mar 5, 2016 8:06 AM

Mar 2014
Is it a masterpiece? No

Are the story and the characters bland AF? Yes

Is it boring? Yes

Are there other KyoAni/moe works that suffer from this kind of problem? Absolutely

It certainly doesn't deserve more than a 5/10 but it's definitely not the worst KyoAni show, considering that we're talking about the same studio that made the "thought provoking masterpieces" Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren (fucking piece of shit), Kyoukai no Kanata (also terrible) and Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu/Endless 8 (boring and repetitive), just to name a few

Tamako Market isn't bad. Just not particularly memorable, apart from the tranny voiced by Daisuke Ono and the love story between the little sister and that guy with the glasses (which I thought was really cute)

5/10
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 11, 2016 7:21 AM
May 2016
. Whether in fact the princess was choi? in episode 12, at almost the last minute, Choi get into the car and took hold of his neck where the signs of being a princess on the neck. Maybe Choi is the princess (I think).
. Because in episode 7, when Choi was in the shower, he dreamed of a prince was calling. and in other episodes (I forget the episode) when the prince tried telecommunication with dera, the prince asked Choi "whether dera receive this message?" Choi face was flushed.

Well, that what i thought :3 need some answer .3.)/
May 11, 2016 7:48 AM
May 2016
hmphh.. i think choi is the princess.. in car, choi touch her neck which the princess sign is on the neck.. and choi have a feeling for prince too.. well, that what i think:3
Jul 14, 2016 7:33 PM

Sep 2015
I kind of liked this series. Weak start but it really grew on me. It was frequently cute, made me laugh quite a few times, I ended up liking a lot of the main cast. It was just let down by flimsy writing, particularly an unimpressive and frankly bordering on racially insensitive main plot. Not a terrible series by any means, I'll probably remember it a little fondly. But certainly one of the weaker KyoAni series I've seen, I guess Phantom World might have been a little worse. All in all 7/10, I don't know I rate entirely based on feelings not objectively sometimes I'm a little too nice to shows.

As a finale there was a lot I really liked. For one thing I was a fan of the overall direction it took. I thought Tamako going to live with the Prince was a bad ending, and her speech to her friends and later the whole arcade about what the Arcade means to her and why she doesn't want to leave was really good. This show had a great setting (one of it's strong suits) and it totally earned some warm fuzzies there. I also liked the Prince once it became clear he wasn't whisking Tamako away. He was cool and not recognizing Dera did make me laugh.

One thing I really didn't like though, was by the end it didn't feel like we'd reach a meaningful conclusion. Neither Mochi nor Midori had made significant progress in advancing a relationship with Tamako. No characters had really changed that much, except maybe Anko and the Dad. The only thing I guess that really happened was the arrival and then departure of the islanders. Plus the final scene itself was just kind of awkward and not that rewarding to me. Maybe I'm nitpicky but for starters why did the florist not notice the fat ass chicken in her bouquet? The very last scene in a show can drop or raise your opinion of shows dramatically I think, and this one definitely hurt it more than helped it.

Maybe the lack of progress was OK though. It was a surprisingly high concept one but this was just a slice of life anime after all. You know what you're in for and they're not known for having complex narratives. And I'm happy they didn't force an ending like Tamako going with Mochi or Midori I might not have liked. I see there's a sequel movie, may see if I can find a torrent easily. Don't think I'll go out of my way for it though.
Nov 11, 2016 10:11 PM

Sep 2011
It was good as a "lets finish tonight's binge by watching something laid back" series, but it doesn't really do much more than that. The ending lacked any real impact and sort of ended on a jarring note. This show was "cute girls doing cute things" with a much more down to earth approach where the moe came from character flaws and mannerisms instead of unrealistically childish behavior.

The story was average, aesthetic direction was average, the audio was above average, the characters were above average in that they all had personalities and weren't totally shallow, and I derived an average amount of entertainment from the series. Given these five scoring categories at two points each (0 being trash, 1 being average, and 2 being exceptional), this series earns a 6/10 from me (above average earns 1.5). Overall slightly above average and worth a watch if the synopsis sounds like something you would be interested in despite it not quite delivering what it promises.
Nov 16, 2016 5:42 AM

Dec 2014
well the show was a fun slice of life.... enjoyed it pretty much
Feb 12, 2017 4:21 PM

May 2015
Well it was fun. 6/10 for me. I wish this show will be 24 episodes. ;)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jun 6, 2017 9:55 PM

Jun 2017
Just finished this series, specials and the movie, all in one go. Started liking it and ended up loving it, and it would have been perfect if only some charitable soul had shot that bird down early in the first episode. So 8/10.

Sep 2, 2017 5:22 PM

Dec 2015
The story and characters were all solid, i'll admit I was myself a little worried when Tamako interrupted Dela's speech as to why she wasn't fit to be a princess.

A few holes in the plot that I wish were resolved were Cho's relationship with the Prince - she was fumbling with her necklaces at the end, I expected her to reveal a mole there. Also Tomio never got to reveal his true feelings which must have sucked.

Really looking forward to the movie!
~
Dec 10, 2017 5:51 PM

Jan 2014
They better get together in the movie smh

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Mar 6, 2013

179 by bakakisima »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2013

365 by Estefan »»
Mar 19, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2013

219 by HyperNova06 »»
Jan 24, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2013

174 by katakumplat »»
Jan 4, 4:44 PM

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2013

132 by katakumplat »»
Dec 31, 2023 1:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.