How would you rate this anime?
Aug 3, 2012 8:44 AM

Jan 2010
Spotlight Anime: Skip Beat!

MAL Anime Information Page: Skip Beat!

MAL Score – 8.51 (by 32352 users)
Ranked - #79
Popularity - #176

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the anime that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Skip Beat! was NOT inducted into the club Anime list:
14 Yes - 45.1%
17 No - 54.8%

48 Don't know this anime - 56.4% of the total number polled
6 Abstained - 7.0% of the total number polled
Rosa_FOEtidaAug 24, 2012 12:41 PM
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 8, 2012 6:41 PM

May 2010
So the fact that no one cared to write anything tells me this is not going to make it.

I cannot comment on the quality of the animation nor sound because I watched it stream. The drawings are pretty well done though

The story is original, even for shoujo. Girl madly in love with guy, but a turn of events changes her completely. Follow Kyoko as she climbs to the top of the celebrity universe in order to crush her most (former) beloved person for using her.

At least that's the surface of the show. As you continue to watch Skip Beat, you will find much more than just another strong willed female doing all the impossible to complete her objective.

Watch Kyoko makes her first female friend (not that she had any because of Sho), watch her interact with others for the first time without feeling guilty because of Sho, watch her interact with her co-workers, and finally watch her become an inspiring actress - something she is doing not because of Sho (you'll find out what I mean when you watch the show).

The only "bad" thing I could comment is the incompleted the arc at the end, it was quite frustrating.

Kanae and Ren are wonderful supporting characters, each bringing out more of Kyoko and we see Kyoko bringing them out too.

Kyoko's character already have been discussed in the character spotlight, so I have nothing more to add about her.
ConfuciusAug 8, 2012 6:45 PM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 8, 2012 11:19 PM

Aug 2009
Perhaps it is a shoujo, but I found the shounen aspect of this show to much more prevalent. Which, I must say, is not necessarily a bad thing.
-Fixing-
Aug 10, 2012 6:40 AM

Nov 2007
Confucius said:
So the fact that no one cared to write anything tells me this is not going to make it.

I cannot comment on the quality of the animation nor sound because I watched it stream. The drawings are pretty well done though

The story is original, even for shoujo. Girl madly in love with guy, but a turn of events changes her completely. Follow Kyoko as she climbs to the top of the celebrity universe in order to crush her most (former) beloved person for using her.

At least that's the surface of the show. As you continue to watch Skip Beat, you will find much more than just another strong willed female doing all the impossible to complete her objective.

Watch Kyoko makes her first female friend (not that she had any because of Sho), watch her interact with others for the first time without feeling guilty because of Sho, watch her interact with her co-workers, and finally watch her become an inspiring actress - something she is doing not because of Sho (you'll find out what I mean when you watch the show).

The only "bad" thing I could comment is the incompleted the arc at the end, it was quite frustrating.

Kanae and Ren are wonderful supporting characters, each bringing out more of Kyoko and we see Kyoko bringing them out too.

Kyoko's character already have been discussed in the character spotlight, so I have nothing more to add about her.

Yes, all this. When I first watched Skip Beat I didn't think I was going to love it as much as I did. After finishing it I promptly jumped onto the manga (although have stalled on this and most other manga atm). Kyouko is great and I think I surprised even myself when I popped her straight on my Fav Chars list.

Still considering if it's a yes though... Anybody wanna chime in with a reason why it shouldn't be added to the relations?
Aug 10, 2012 10:38 AM

Sep 2009
yamakasi said:
Confucius said:

Yes, all this. When I first watched Skip Beat I didn't think I was going to love it as much as I did. After finishing it I promptly jumped onto the manga (although have stalled on this and most other manga atm). Kyouko is great and I think I surprised even myself when I popped her straight on my Fav Chars list.

Still considering if it's a yes though... Anybody wanna chime in with a reason why it shouldn't be added to the relations?

One word:

SHOOOOOTAAAAAAROOOO!!!!
Aug 11, 2012 11:52 PM

Nov 2007
Lindle said:
One word:

SHOOOOOTAAAAAAROOOO!!!!

Compelling argument my friend
Aug 12, 2012 5:51 AM

Sep 2009
Heh. I'm actually on the fence about this. I second almost everything that's been said so far, but I did have a few issues with it. My biggest complaint was that any remotely villainous character was crazily overdone and detestable, with SHOOOOTAAAAAAROOOOO being the most obvious example. It was pretty ridiculous.

There was also the issue of the OST. There aren't many series where the OST is bad enough to actually irk me, but Skip Beat is one of them.

And, as mentioned before, THE ENDING. It was left far too open. All things considered, I'd likely induct the manga sooner once it finishes. Assuming it doesn't get worse after where the anime leaves it, I haven't actually started reading it yet.

Really, though, if Kyouko couldn't get in, I can't imagine Skip Beat itself getting in.
Aug 12, 2012 11:51 PM

Oct 2008
I think the most compelling argument against inducting this series was the shounen power up element that Wilio sort of eluded too. No one actually ever gained a superhuman ability, it wasn't that kind of show. I meant that Kyouko continued to gain new skills at alarming rates, with little effort. This made the series somewhat predicable and formulaic, by knowing that Kyouko would continue to win. However also as Wilio might have been eluding too, Kyouko's personality and character made her an underdog worth routing for. The show successfully made me empathize with her goal of avenging her heart.

The cartoon like moments of darkness were probably point deductions, since the animators didn't use dialog and intelligent plot design to imply her inner darkness and or malice. Ghost's popping out her fingers and the dark aura thing is something that of course makes animation unique to film or theater though. I suppose lighting could be seen as it's equivalent, but in any case this element was probably unnecessary. Overall I enjoyed the series, and mostly because of it's effective ability to balance the comedic elements with the more serious ambitions. I also enjoyed how this series used the slice of life elements. It gave the show an air of credibility that eased it's formulaic nature that most shoujo and shounen fall victim to.

I stand in agreement with everyone else though, that the series ending sort of makes it impossible to induct. I'm sure the creators were thinking they'd be getting a second season. Unfortunately a production of a second season never went forward. You could blame poor sales perhaps. I've read rumors that they are waiting for the manga to finish, but those are completely unsupported claims thus far. I found a this petition and a facebook page devoted to attempting to raise support for a second season. In my experience these attempts are often ignored if sales are not strong. Plus it's unseen how much influence and English site might draw, but my impression is very little unless, yes once again foreign sales might warrant a reconsideration. I'm certainly one of those people hoping a second season does get produced because it was a fun watch, but probably nothing that we usually induct. I still want to vote yes for some reason. Mostly because I think the timing of plot executions were very well paced, which made the series flow very well and easy to watch, looking forward to each new episode and sad when it finished without any real conclusion.

Story: 7/10
Art/Animation: 5/10
Character designs: 5/10
Voice Acting: Japanese: 7/10
Music: 5/10
Overall Enjoyment: 7/10. I bumped it a point or so for enjoyment and fluidity of plot.
Orion1Aug 13, 2012 12:01 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.