Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 28, 2021 12:46 PM

Mar 2021
Wow this manga was a masterpiece. Actually one of the best manga I've ever read. 10/10
“Without love, it cannot be seen.”
Jun 7, 2021 9:36 AM
Oct 2016
If that was the actual ending it would have been incredibly weak especially after all that build up, almost all of the characters and plot threads either went nowhere or were given very unsatisfying conclusions. 21st Century Boys had better make up for that.

Other than that I've really enjoyed the series overall, even if it went on for too long. I liked the characters all the way through, but things in the main plot started to get repetitive.

I think what I love about Urasawa is his way of juggling the interlocking narratives of a huge cast of characters while the overarching plot progresses very subtly throughout, and of course his great art and designs.
Aug 6, 2021 2:10 AM

Sep 2020
that was a limp ending for an excellent manga, I guess everything will be cleared up in 21st century boys. My score is 9/10 It had its potholes here and there, but that's to be expected from a manga with over 200 chapters.....

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Sep 12, 2021 4:35 PM

Aug 2015
What a shitty ending. Most of the plot went nowhere, the series itself took a turn from conspiracy to surreal and the whole of humanity was really stupid. The replacement of Friend being in a sequel doesn´t make it any better, and neither Kenji or Fukubei were interesting in the end. The first 50 chapters were the best, but after the first timeskip it became "Plot convenience: the manga". The Friend era just didn´t make any kind of sense.

For being "The Magnum Opus" of Urasawa, this was really, heavily flawed. Also, Friend going from a mysterious politician to an obsessed child filled with jealosy was terrible. Even worse when they switched the dude for a nihilistic idiot.
Oct 1, 2021 5:18 AM
May 2020
a beautiful manga though the ending was a lil nuanced to say the very least but damn. wow
Apr 9, 2022 9:26 PM

Nov 2018
I don't know where else to say this. But fucking finally!!!! They changed the entry volume cover from vol 5 to the original vol 1. God bless 🙏🙏🙏
May 15, 2022 8:49 AM

Dec 2015
Exactly the ending that was to be expected since a tome or two. The intrigue is resolved very rapidly, and many things are left unexplained, wich is potentially better than weird half-baked justifications.
I don't mind, because it's a thriller and the goal was simply to entertain for its course, but it still barely feels like an end.

3/5

Overall:

Good suspense juggling past and present, with a great look at childhood and appealing characters (à la It). The change in hero for the second era was unfortunate but it partly recovered later, but ultimately the day-to-day writing (extending the group of comrades, resurfacing of others at weird positions, etc) & constant streak of turnabouts started to be exhausting in the last volumes (the third era, under Ami/Friend/Tomodachi's full reign).
Visually excellent, a nice implementation of humour (wich was most needed given the length and dramatic stakes the plot ended up playing), and most importantly an exciting and at times moving ride.

Score: 8/10
Enjoyment: 4~5
Opening the 21th Century Boys book is almost scary. Imagine it's an epilogue featuring a second, worst, conclusion?
Rei_IIIMay 15, 2022 9:02 AM
May 17, 2022 7:29 AM

Apr 2020
The game is over but it doesn't mean everything is done. Damn, didn't expect that cliffhanger. That's one of the reasons why I can't call this an ending :)

No gutalala sudalala in the concert :(. Page 24 was perfect tho!
DefeatingMeMay 17, 2022 7:57 AM
Jun 20, 2022 1:12 AM

May 2022
Still the best shit. Re-read the second time gives me a better insight on the story, and what Urasawa tried to convey.

"This is all a child play"

Where Kenji's group grows up, Fukube's group does not. They are still children in adult body. That explains the reason why how absurd, ridiculous and childish of these plans are.

I will give this manga a 10/10, a masterpiece.
Jul 14, 2022 10:48 AM
Oct 2020
It was good but then the last arc of friends era I just didn't enjoy as much. I think overall it's an 8/10 for me but I think it's an 8.9 so I'll round it up to 9/10. Very good manga but not a 10/10
Sep 18, 2022 12:53 PM
Aug 2018
This manga started off great - intriguing mysteries, interesting characters, hints that there is a deeper truth we're only scratching the surface of - but then once the readers are hooked it's time for papa Urasawa to relax and get paid. Enjoy watching him throw every last bit of world- and character-building into the trash just so he can drag this shit on for another 100 chapters with increasingly desperate cliffhangers whose resolution falls flat - if they get resolved at all. My favorite one of these is the end of a chapter that's like "AND THEN HE SAW SOMETHING... THAT COULD NOT EXIST IN THIS WORLD!!!" and then next chapter it's some dumb shit like a child's body with an adult's head on it. It's not clear whether he ever had a satisfying ending planned at any point but it sure as hell isn't what he delivered.
Nov 6, 2022 8:41 PM

Feb 2017
wait whaaaat,,, that was the ending???? i dont even know what to say. i have so many conflicting feelings rn. i loved the beginning and middle of this series, but idk i stopped enjoying this series as much as i used to and then around vol 20 i really truly stopped vibing w this series. it just wasn't feeling as good as it was near the beginning. the ending made me sad (though im happy that kenji and kanna + everyone else reunited) - for such a long series i was expecting a more satisfying ending.

this was a strong 10/10 for me for a while but the last few volumes were overall disappointing and honestly boring to read. i liked seeing all the flashbacks/scenes of them as kids and i loved kenji's group of friends, but this cast of characters started getting way too big at some point. so many things were dragged out , and i get the strange feeling that i'm forgetting some important plot lines,,, i am reading the character wikis online currently and i feel rlly dumb for forgetting so much stuff but at the same time like how am i supposed to remember when there's 50 million things happening in between of me questioning a scene and me receiving an answer to that scene.

aaa, kinda depressing that my frustrations are overshadowing what i loved about this manga. i'm estimating that this manga started falling off for me around when the friendship era began? i think? pretty much everything before that was so fun to read. i loved seeing the boys as kids and i loved when scenes were shown from different POVs (like hanging hill from kenji's POV and then fukube's POV later on, which answered my question as to who was standing behind the teru teru bozu). when they were first introducing the characters post-timeskip i was so hyped -- like the plot of otcho at the prison,, i really enjoyed reading that. i like koizumi's character as well. i'm forgetting a lot about sadakiyo because it's been a while since i read the story of him post timeskip (and pre timeskip too honestly) but he is probably one of the boys who's really up there for me,, i liked him a lot -- tho the disrespect @ me forgetting so much about his character :-( aaaa reminiscing about this stuff is making me want to go back and read the first 15 or so volumes,, this is still definitely one of my favourite manga no matter how boring i found the last part,, i can't trash this manga for a frustrating ending because so much of it was so fun to read

all in all i'm gonna miss reading this series but i'm happy to move on to something else. man it's been like 3 years for me , the series has been out for ages , i just took way to long to read this LMFAO

uhhh but i seen there's a 21st century boys which i honestly had not planned on reading but now i feel like i neeeed to. maybe we'll get the satisfying ending we deserve????

placeholder text
Nov 29, 2022 1:00 PM

Aug 2022
What a ride this has been. Now that I have finished it I can see what a masterpiece this is. Definitely one of my favourite mangas.
Dec 4, 2022 12:28 PM
Jul 2021
MANGÁ BOM DA PORRA
Jan 6, 2023 3:20 PM
Apr 2020
Some parts of the story are repetitive. But the whole I idea of it is chilling.
Kinda sad for the cliff hangar tho.
Jan 14, 2023 12:48 AM
Oct 2021
Amazing end to an amazing series
Jan 17, 2023 10:14 AM
Jan 2023
un cazzo di capolavoro, chi dice il contrario non penso abbia letto sto manga
Feb 7, 2023 1:44 AM
Sep 2022
The storytelling and characters are perfect. Everything was planned from the beginning with many clues. Peak fiction! 
Mar 10, 2023 9:44 PM
Feb 2021
it was good, i liked it.
Mar 20, 2023 9:32 AM
Mar 2023
very great manga.
Mar 22, 2023 10:43 AM
Mar 2022
The last chapter, this is def my fav manga of all time. Can't wait to read 21cb
Jul 24, 2023 10:34 AM

Aug 2011
I'm sorry but this is one of the shittiest manga I have ever read. 2/10 just it because interesting until Fuk's death.
Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face.~
Oct 6, 2023 3:06 AM
Oct 2023
the ending was kind of rushed i think
Jan 28, 3:13 AM

Mar 2021
Wow I can't even call this an ending. That's fucking it? Incredibly rushed. Friend just died like that? 🤣 Kanna wasn't important after all? Friend's baby? An actual backstory for the Friend? Who is the new Friend? Kanna and Friend resolution? What tf was Kenji apologizing for? Aftermath of this? Why didn't they sing the damn song? What about Kanna's spoon bending and psychic powers, or her overwhelming charisma with the Mafia? What about that damn visionary old man and his bowling boom? Kenji actually reuniting with everyone and not just looking at them after all these years? ....

21st Century Boys better answer all this

Apr 7, 2:26 PM
May 2021
The ending happened so quickly?! But still a solid story honestly soo good.
Apr 23, 7:25 AM

Nov 2023
I thought the only reason I read this is some random dude on YT mentioning how he found it in the bargain bin section for like... 50 cents a piece-?
Yesterday, 4:53 AM

Dec 2023
The whole time I was reading this I simply didn't want it to end. Got my wish I suppose. Ending was bold enough to say but wait, there's more! Now I'll be chasing after the sequel, 21st Century Boys, like a lost puppy. Can't wait to uncover more of the mystery and hopefully get some answers.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » 20th Century Boys Chapter 213 Discussion

removed-user - Feb 16, 2009

23 by BookBirdie »»
May 1, 5:56 AM

Poll: » 20th Century Boys Chapter 121 Discussion

Rasco - Mar 4, 2012

11 by knowndisc »»
Apr 30, 6:15 PM

Poll: » 20th Century Boys Chapter 225 Discussion

Karura - Aug 24, 2008

19 by DZento »»
Apr 26, 10:42 PM

Poll: » 20th Century Boys Chapter 92 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 31, 2010

15 by Koldmotro »»
Apr 19, 3:40 AM

Poll: » 20th Century Boys Chapter 117 Discussion

Rasco - Mar 4, 2012

5 by Waddledont »»
Apr 14, 6:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.