Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Jun 29, 2013 7:51 PM

Feb 2013
Fucking cliffhanger. Thank god, I'm not watching it while it was airing.

This gets a 9/10 from me.
Every technical aspect of it was amazing. Not to mention, its characters has interesting personalities especially Rider. xD The ending is disappointing though as it didn't conclude anything.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jul 13, 2013 1:48 AM

Oct 2008
It's pretty good, I guess. But I'm still not impressed by the story at all, even though the premise is interesting, I think some of the magic elements kinda ruin it (among other things). In terms of characters, most of the masters aren't that interesting, the servants are more interesting though.. The animation of course is pretty much perfect.
Overall 7/10
Hopefully part 2 will be better, but I doubt it will be some masterpiece, if I'm not all that impressed at this point. I guess my expectations were too high. Wouldn't be the first time though.
Jul 17, 2013 10:52 AM
Dec 2012
Im happy that I didn't watch it at the time. I could not survive 3 months xD.
I start tomorrow or tonight with the second season. I don't get it exactly anymore, because my english vocabulary is bad. But I hope the second season will clear up things.
--
Really nice animation. The characters are so well set. I love them all, exept iri, I like her, but I do not love her. I love the art, but sometimes it wasn't drawn that good, the eyes are not like animeeyes enough in my opinion. but okay. That doesn't change anything. This show is worth 10/10
Jul 19, 2013 3:55 PM

May 2013
Great episode, great first season for Fate/Zero. Unlike many of my previous Fate/Zero watchers, i only need to wait about 20 secs before watching the second season, compared to their 3 month wait xD. I'm very glad I don't have to wait that long, but I'd give the first season a solid 10.
Jul 25, 2013 2:00 AM

Jan 2013
8.5/10
Aug 7, 2013 11:57 PM

Mar 2013
Rider is goddamn awesome
Aug 9, 2013 2:55 AM

Apr 2013
For a very insane guy, Ryuunosuke somewhat gave a very reasonable argument about God.

Rider is very inspirational. He died in his 30's yet he looks like in his 40's. xD

I wish Caster to be dead already...

Will start season 2 next week! xD

8/10 for the series.

Aug 17, 2013 3:16 AM

Aug 2009
cantius said:
Overrated as fuck. 6/10 for this season.

Fanboy reporting in.

Learn to use that world.
Sep 10, 2013 7:35 PM

Jan 2013
While this show is incredibly overrated, it's still a decent watch with an interesting premise, nice animation, and most of the Servants being likable/interesting people. Pretty coherent plot so far too.

7/10 IMO.

Perhaps the second half will impressive me more. We'll see, I guess.
Salmon is delicious.
Sep 22, 2013 1:01 PM
Jul 2018
A great first season, amazing action, great dialogue, and Rider is AWESOME. 10/10
Oct 4, 2013 2:41 AM

Apr 2013
Loved this, 10/10. :)

Can't wait to dive into the second season!
Powerful eyebrows.
Oct 11, 2013 2:04 PM

Sep 2011
Broskandar at his finest. Seriously, he is just great.
Can't wait to see how they gonna destroy that demon together. I'm guessing it's gonna be either Excalibur or Gilgamesh (or perhaps even Berserker?) joining in.
All I hope is that Caster dies already, possible with his master as well.

Now for this season.
It was definitely a lot better than that thing called the F/SN anime. But still not that great.
The setting/premise is still great and I was happy that pretty much all of the servants now were such great and interesting people from the past (except Lancer, but his story is still fine). And they were all actually great characters as well. It was very interesting to see their own way of thinking about this whole thing.
My problem lies with the masters. Each of them, with the 3 exceptions of Kiritsugu, Waver and Kariya (hope to see more of him in the 2nd season), were all just so uninteresting. Kirei was the worst of them all, he is such a boring character...my god... Their reason for the grail was just ridiculous. I don't even get how the grail thinks they "need it the most".
But like I said, thank god that the servants were interesting at least. Rider is still my favorite, he is such a fucking badass, but very kind big bro. He is simply great.
Animation wise the show was amazing, no problems there.
Music was made by Kajiura Yuki. Need I say more? While they were not as memorable imo as some of her other works, most of the music was still great.
The OP and ED were okay, didn't like them all that much.

What I would have liked to see more was some more action, a bit of character development, and a faster pace, it's been 13 episodes, but it's like nothing much happened.
For now the season gets a 7/10, which is still great considering that F/SN is a 3 on my list (I know, I know. I shouldn't compare that garbage to this).
I hope to see more fights now that the main servants remain (I'm pretty sure Caster is gonna die in this battle).
RazielZeroOct 12, 2013 7:05 AM
Oct 11, 2013 9:23 PM

Aug 2009
Kayneth wants the grail for more or less the same reason Waver does.Tokiomi...ask Gil about him.

And Kirei one of the best chars Nasuverse has to offer,with some of the best char development Nasu had to offer is boring?

I am not surprised that you missed the char development and the plot progression.
Oct 12, 2013 3:41 PM

Sep 2011
ssjokg said:
And Kirei one of the best chars Nasuverse has to offer,with some of the best char development Nasu had to offer is boring?

Well, yeah.
All I have seen so far is a guy who doesn't know what to do with himself and just obeys people and wonders why the grail chose him if he doesn't wish for anything. But Gilgamesh enlights him that he has to learn what pleasure is and so he becomes a sinner because he already felt pleasure and now he is full of doubt and is about to kill his own teacher just so he can know what his wish is.
In a way, yes, it was a big character development, or rather, he became someone with character. So yes, in that sense it was good. But I'm sorry I just can't feel a single emotion for someone like him who is just...there. Without any kind of character traits, just like a tool.

Maybe he will become better in the 2nd season, I don't know yet (kind of doubt it after seeing how he is like in F/SN, even if it's not well adapted, but still, I can be mistaken). I'm rating what I've seen so far.
Oct 12, 2013 11:50 PM

Aug 2009
RazielZero said:
ssjokg said:

Well, yeah.
All I have seen so far is a guy who doesn't know what to do with himself and just obeys people and wonders why the grail chose him if he doesn't wish for anything. But Gilgamesh enlights him that he has to learn what pleasure is and so he becomes a sinner because he already felt pleasure and now he is full of doubt and is about to kill his own teacher just so he can know what his wish is.
In a way, yes, it was a big character development, or rather, he became someone with character. So yes, in that sense it was good. But I'm sorry I just can't feel a single emotion for someone like him who is just...there. Without any kind of character traits, just like a tool.

Maybe he will become better in the 2nd season, I don't know yet (kind of doubt it after seeing how he is like in F/SN, even if it's not well adapted, but still, I can be mistaken). I'm rating what I've seen so far.

Then it comes down to if you like characters that search for themselves.

And we told you to forget FSN anime.
Kirei in FSN anime simple wants destruction because....yeah it would be good if they had simply add any reason at all but you dont expect the villain to be more developed than the MC when the MC is reduced to a bag of shit.You dont expect good script from someone that put Sakura in latex and made her Caster's ero salve because it seemed like a good idea.
Oct 21, 2013 7:09 PM

Jan 2013
While he didn't seem like a thinker at first, Rider sure is a wise man. Also, I really should have mentioned this during the fight between Caster and Saber/Lancer but my goodness, Lancer sure is a smooth guy. I hope there is some interaction between either Saber or Sola-Ui and him if you get my drift ;)

The series was good so far. Can always count on ufotable for great animation and the OST was very good. We haven't really had any proper fights yet with someone coming out as the winner. After watching the end, I'll decide whether or not I liked it like that or not. There will probably also be more focus on Kiritsugu so I'm looking forward to that.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Dec 9, 2013 6:34 AM

Dec 2012
caster and his master are adorable. caster slightly less so.
Jan 18, 2014 11:52 AM

Jan 2013
After talking with Forgetfulness and doing a lot of rethinking about this show, I've just finished my rewatch of the first season, albeit dubbed this time.

Changed my opinion from 5/10 to 8/10.

Lets see how my rewatch of the second season turns out.
Salmon is delicious.
Jan 18, 2014 2:41 PM
Nov 2013
Exaccus said:
After talking with Forgetfulness and doing a lot of rethinking about this show, I've just finished my rewatch of the first season, albeit dubbed this time.

Changed my opinion from 5/10 to 8/10.

Lets see how my rewatch of the second season turns out.

What was your original reasons for rating it a 5 and what did you change your mind on to give it an 8? Curious.

Dubbed had nothing to do with it right?
Jan 18, 2014 4:09 PM

Jan 2013
Long story short: I originally went in with the wrong expectations and mistakenly magnified things into flaws that weren't actually flaws according to how I normally rate a story.

Although, watching it dubbed does make the long dialogues much easier to absorb and manage.
Salmon is delicious.
Feb 4, 2014 4:01 PM

May 2013
Fantastic ending to season 1, ONTO SEASON 2!
Feb 14, 2014 1:47 PM
Oct 2012
Most overrated anime I've ever watched... Poor and too boring story from the beginning to the end... With few action scenes... Just a story and dialogues ... very, very, very bad and BORING dialogues... 2/10 (just because of animation)
Feb 14, 2014 1:54 PM

Aug 2009
It blows my mind that Monster didnt get the same treatment.
Feb 14, 2014 2:44 PM

Jul 2007
ssjokg said:
It blows my mind that Monster didnt get the same treatment.

Oh please. Let the man enjoy the narrative nine out of ten greatness that is naruto.
Mar 5, 2014 11:06 PM

Dec 2012
Lots of bromance this episode. The caster and Uryuu cracked me up and the moments between Waver and Iskander were great. A cliffhanger ending only leaves one possibility - continue! Not really sure what score to give with an unfinished story, so I guess 9/10 for now since I've yet to dislike a minute of this.
Apr 18, 2014 6:30 AM

May 2013
10\10
Apr 24, 2014 1:18 AM

Aug 2013
jesus christ this show is awesome and i fricken love rider so god dam much
Yo
Apr 30, 2014 6:23 AM

Dec 2013
So much better then F/SN
May 7, 2014 10:35 PM

Jan 2009
1. Ryuunosuke needs to die along with his twisted child murders

2. So much dialogue…at least we gonna see caster go down in next ep

5/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
May 23, 2014 10:07 PM
Jun 2013
wait Ryuunosuke believes in a god.Didint see that coming.Rider buying video games AWESOME!!!!Nice rider and waver moment.I have feeling lancers master will be the death of him.Thats was one hell of a season cliffhanger now on to the second season.
May 31, 2014 7:32 PM

Dec 2012
Pretty good I suppose, not as masterful as I was expecting. A solid 8.5 which I'll just round up to a 9. Onto the next part.
Jun 7, 2014 4:40 PM

Jan 2012
I love Rider. As I watched the episode, I was thinking that if this show were a shounen, he and his master would totally have been the main characters.

Can't wait to see Saber do something. I want her to prove she's the best like all the exposition implied
Jun 8, 2014 4:18 AM

Nov 2013
yaddayadda said:
I love Rider. As I watched the episode, I was thinking that if this show were a shounen, he and his master would totally have been the main characters.

Can't wait to see Saber do something. I want her to prove she's the best like all the exposition implied

How did it imply she's the best?
Jun 8, 2014 4:24 AM

Aug 2009
Botato said:
yaddayadda said:

Saber class stronger blablabla, main poster girl blablabla,MC's Servant etc
Jun 8, 2014 4:40 AM

Nov 2013
ssjokg said:
Botato said:

Most probably yeah. Figures :|
Jun 8, 2014 7:54 AM

Jul 2007
Botato said:
ssjokg said:

Saber class IS strongest...in stats.

WHich mean jackshit in nasuverse, since haxx>stats.
Jun 8, 2014 8:15 AM

Nov 2013
Fai said:
Botato said:

What got me curious is that Tokiomi proclaimed victory when he summoned Gil and stated that he is the most powerful servant. How did one or two statements about Saber class having high stats suddenly become "she's the best" when other servants were shown/claimed to be 'the most powerful' too?
(At this point we've seen Rider being badass and Kirei said that his RM is too powerful, Kariya claimed his servant is the strongest and he will not lose, and then there's also Gil like I said...)
Jun 8, 2014 1:55 PM

Jul 2007
Botato said:
Fai said:

What got me curious is that Tokiomi proclaimed victory when he summoned Gil and stated that he is the most powerful servant. How did one or two statements about Saber class having high stats suddenly become "she's the best" when other servants were shown/claimed to be 'the most powerful' too?
(At this point we've seen Rider being badass and Kirei said that his RM is too powerful, Kariya claimed his servant is the strongest and he will not lose, and then there's also Gil like I said...)

Because Gil is THE oldest servant.

If you Summon Gil, if you can manage to coexist and direct him successfully, you won. So far only Fate/Extra protagonist managed to do it and that resulted in
. So yes. Gil=Instawin if you can manage it.

Saber is the best because Saber class has the best stats, but it still depends on hax of the identity summoned - Herc as Saber would be unstoppable for example.

In case of Altria/Arthuria, she has Excalibur - also known as the sword whose attacks have been compared to true magic(there's a reason why in prisma illya
, no to mention in FSN
).
AhenshihaelJun 8, 2014 2:01 PM
Jun 8, 2014 2:04 PM

Nov 2013
^ I know all of this, what I was curious about is why yaddayadda thought Saber was "the best" even though other servants were also stated to be powerful/the best/etc...
Especially Gil. Like you said stats mean nothing alone, there are a lot of other factors that come into play.
Jun 8, 2014 2:06 PM

Jul 2007
Botato said:
^ I know all of this, what I was curious about is why yaddayadda thought Saber was "the best" even though other servants were also stated to be powerful/the best/etc...
Especially Gil. Like you said stats mean nothing alone, there are a lot of other factors that come into play.

BEcause Saber is the best class. Not necessarily best summoned servant.
Jun 8, 2014 2:15 PM

Nov 2013
Never mind, he seems to have left this thread for good so whatever.
Jun 8, 2014 9:42 PM

Aug 2009
Fai said:

In case of Altria/Arthuria, she has Excalibur - also known as the sword whose attacks have been compared to true magic(there's a reason why in prisma illya
, no to mention in FSN
).
[spoiler]
You know that the kaleidosticks could have done that with any NP.Excalibur has never been compared to True Magic.

Excalibur is a mana canon. Jewel Sword is also a mana canon (that works differently as well). How does that make Excalibur similar to True Magic?
Jun 9, 2014 12:17 AM

Jul 2007
ssjokg said:
Fai said:

, no to mention in FSN
).
[spoiler]
You know that the kaleidosticks could have done that with any NP.Excalibur has never been compared to True Magic.

Excalibur is a mana canon. Jewel Sword is also a mana canon (that works differently as well). How does that make Excalibur similar to True Magic?

Its the attack that is entirely dependent on the mana reserve you have, so while as NP its a one-trick-pony, its one-trick-pony that can oneshot stuff.
Jun 9, 2014 12:48 AM

Nov 2013
Wait when did anyone mention Excalibur?
*goes to previous page*

Oh, you edited your post :|
It wasn't necessary to mention it, because what I was talking about are the stuff mentioned in F/Z up until episode 13 (this one). From what is shown in these episodes, one can conclude that "the best" is one of Gil/Saber/Berserker/ and to an extent Rider.
The "exposition" didn't focus solely on making Saber look awesome or the best. That's why I found the original comment questionable.

Ok now to run away and leave you two have fun, walls of text scare me sometimes...
Aug 17, 2014 3:06 PM

Oct 2012
Hmm, rather weak and unclimatic episode.
Caster/Ryuunosuke is by far the worst pair of this war and to have them as main antagonists of the first half is very counterproductive as their defeat won't produce desirable impact.

So far, it seems to me that everyone in this anime just runs in its scripted tunnel with predetermined role to the point it's almost obvious. There is no real planning, no clever tactics, everyone just intercepts enemy head-on. It's almost like masters of this war are puppets of their servants, maybe with exception of Kotomine and Kiritsugu (but even those are taken from visual novel). This stands as proof that original FSN did a lot better job with their characterization. Here, I somehow can't relate to those masters.

But maybe this is all intentional and this emphasis on Servants and their stories is what matters here.
Lancer, Saber, Rider and Archer are all being fleshed-out pretty well and I like those characters.
But I really don't know if their wishes and wishes of their masters are worth fighting for, so far this war seems kinda underwhelming to me.

Call me a heretic but if I had to compare first half of Ufotable F/Z with first part Deen's F/SN I would say the latter did better job (not to mention visual novel, that's leagues elsewhere). F/Z is good so far but the problem is, it doesn't really stand out. It's almost funny that the best episode for me was Rin's adventure and yet, that was flashback to the past. Whereas in FSN I found many of those interesting moments, namely eps. 2,4,11,12 and 14.

Let's hope that the second part will be as mindblowing as to dispel those doubts of mine.
Aug 18, 2014 12:23 AM

Aug 2009
^Ok.....Heretic.

Really if we bring characterization to the table, Deen's FSN is miles behind.
Aug 18, 2014 12:34 AM

Mar 2013
Mich666 said:
Hmm, rather weak and unclimatic episode.

That's because it's a cliffhangar, not a climax.

Mich666 said:
There is no real planning, no clever tactics, everyone just intercepts enemy head-on.

That's the antithesis of a certain master's tactics.

Mich666 said:
It's almost like masters of this war are puppets of their servants, maybe with exception of Kotomine and Kiritsugu (but even those are taken from visual novel).

There are no puppets, just people who can't see eye to eye. Neither really controls the other.

Except that's not true because the masters have command spells. That implies that when they are dragged around by their servants, there is still some degree of acceptance of the situation.

Mich666 said:
This stands as proof that original FSN did a lot better job with their characterization.

I don't see how that works.

Mich666 said:
Here, I somehow can't relate to those masters.

Maybe because they're not "normal" teenagers?

Mich666 said:
Lancer, Saber, Rider and Archer are all being fleshed-out pretty well and I like those characters.

Doesn't this contradict what you just said about bad characterization?
Aug 18, 2014 4:25 AM

Oct 2012
ssjokg said:
^Ok.....Heretic.
Really if we bring characterization to the table, Deen's FSN is miles behind.

When talking about characterization, I was talking about visual novel, ofc. Deen was doomed when they tried to adapt all three routes at once and their problem with explaining fundamentals is all known. The thing is, I actually enjoyed what they did (at least up to the ep14) as it was great to relive some moments from novel. I am very curious what Ufotable gives us this year and I am looking forward to see their pacing as putting 100+ hour novel into 13 hours anime is one big challenge. I fear they'll go all dark and serious, cutting all slice-of-life stuff but that's to be seen.

fst said:
Maybe because they're not "normal" teenagers?

You don't have to be a teenager to actually relate to some characters (no to mention I am no longer one). It's more about of how their decisions and thinking are presented to the viewer in way of emotions and experiences to relate to.

fst said:

No, because I was talking solely about masters in that paragraph. I am talking about Servants in next one (and I actually like their characterization, Rider and Archer being the best). But regarding this war's masters - let's face it, from what we actually saw, can you symphatize with anyone?

Tokiomi - is just hiding and observing situation
Ryuunosuke - is deranged mental that likes killing, nothing else
Keyneth - was excessively self-confident mage who sufferred because of his overly bloated ego
Sola Ui - is poor mage that got the power. One moment she is head over heels over Lancer and the next one she is breaking Kayneth's fingers. I really don't know who she is, we got no details of her past. Yes, there is some suspicion surrounding her but hey, is that really enough?
Kariya - is good character, but he was almost nonexistent in the first half
Waver - is boy who still doesn't know what he wants

Kotomine and Kiritsugu aside, as those two are just doing precisely what's expected of them based on FSN novel. But I have to admitt they did a good job with Iri (though technically, she isn't master). I'm just saying that with Servants getting most of the screentime, there was little to no time to flesh out those Masters better in other way than just showing their archetypes.

I am not saying this is all bad in long term but when you look back on those thirteen eps (as there was three month pause during original screening) you quickly realize they moved almost nowhere. You can say they spent whole first half on building the world and the base for everything that's poised to happen in the second half. They really took their time talking as long as they could before the blowing everything up. The amount of new characters they needed to introduce didn't help either, it only slowed-down overall pacing. The fact that many people liked that is only coming from promise of even greater resolution.
The thing I fear is they raised the bar too high.

I mean, if they continue to develop those characters even further and if they actually give us some satisfactory conclusion then I would say it was well worth it. But if not, well, then this was just a nice little extra for FSN fans and very long introduction for first time viewers, nothing more.
Aug 18, 2014 4:26 PM

Nov 2012
This episode made me grow fond of Ryuunosuke and his servant. They're insane as hell, but they're a pretty cool pair who are not afraid of anything.
Aug 18, 2014 9:36 PM

Mar 2013
Mich666 said:
fst said:

No, because I was talking solely about masters in that paragraph. I am talking about Servants in next one (and I actually like their characterization, Rider and Archer being the best). But regarding this war's masters - let's face it, from what we actually saw, can you symphatize with anyone?

They don't need to be relatable to be interesting to watch, it just makes it hard to care about what happens to them. Which is just as well since it's a deathmatch and you know from episode 1 that most of them will get the axe.

Mich666 said:
Tokiomi - is just hiding and observing situation
Ryuunosuke - is deranged mental that likes killing, nothing else
Keyneth - was excessively self-confident mage who sufferred because of his overly bloated ego
Sola Ui - is poor mage that got the power. One moment she is head over heels over Lancer and the next one she is breaking Kayneth's fingers. I really don't know who she is, we got no details of her past. Yes, there is some suspicion surrounding her but hey, is that really enough?
Kariya - is good character, but he was almost nonexistent in the first half
Waver - is boy who still doesn't know what he wants

Tokiomi doesn't do much, but personally I find him hilarious, though not due to anything that he does in the first half.

If you want to know more about Sola, the novel gives more backstory on her character. But frankly... her motivations are much simpler than that.

Waver is probably by far the most sympathetic master in this war. But, for him more so than almost all of the other masters, it's pointless to discuss the merits of his character until the end.

Mich666 said:
Kotomine and Kiritsugu aside, as those two are just doing precisely what's expected of them based on FSN novel. But I have to admitt they did a good job with Iri (though technically, she isn't master). I'm just saying that with Servants getting most of the screentime, there was little to no time to flesh out those Masters better in other way than just showing their archetypes.

It's difficult to have 14 really well fleshed out characters in a 26 episode series. Once the bodies start piling up though, it leaves more screentime to flesh out the ones who are still alive.
Pages (12) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I'm not interested in the fate series at all but

mydaddy - Apr 26

15 by SKILIFT26 »»
May 2, 5:14 PM

» The ufotable Production

BigHomieTrapa - Apr 11

2 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 15, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Fate/Zero Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

a6342164 - Oct 29, 2011

459 by JacobRitacco »»
Mar 15, 12:23 AM

Poll: » Fate/zero Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 1, 2011

698 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 9, 1:25 AM

» Who's your favorite servant?

Ms_Muffin - Feb 19

47 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Feb 28, 5:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.