Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 11, 2012 8:32 PM

Sep 2011
yo. Ringo's starting to freak me out.

Feb 20, 2012 10:01 AM

Dec 2009
Good episode, only complaint is that every mirror I tried watching this episode on had crappy quality and a lot of the scenes were very pixelated which made it hard to enjoy.
Mar 23, 2012 6:27 AM
Sep 2011
was it just me or did ringo have a deathnote?x)
Mar 27, 2012 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
Personally, I enjoy all of Ringo's flashbacks. To me they've been the most interesting scenes in the show so far.
Ringo and Shouma seem to be the most obvious potential couple and as much as I'd like them to get together or whatever, I really hope that doesn't happen.
Also, I think the evil lady that's been mind wiping people also has someone who's life depends on whether or not she can find the Penguindrum and she is therefore trying to eliminate all her competition. But that doesn't really explain why she has all of those red balls with the penguin insignia on them, so I don't really know.
Apr 12, 2012 8:25 PM

Sep 2008
Not a glimpse of Mamiko Noto... and no super awesome Kanba scene...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2012 1:06 AM

Sep 2011
lol Ringo's such a freak.

Anyways, this anime is getting much more interesting now! Also, does the fate diary shiet remind anyone else of Mirai Nikki? xD
Oct 25, 2012 4:52 PM
Jan 2012
The episode was as good as the previous one. 5/5.
Highlights:

- Ringo x Shouma scene. I hope they end up together or something like that.
- Ringo's messed up thoughts.
- The red-haired girl shooting red balls at the girls' heads. Dafuq is that?
- The black penguin of the opening finally appears in the end.
- So, the diary was of her sister's and she is trying to become her? That is so sad :(
...Go live your life, girl.

Also, honestly, I can't understand why some many people hate Ringo. :/ Perhaps I like her because twisted characters losing their sanities is something I always liked to see.
Feb 16, 2013 5:10 PM

Jun 2012
ggultra2764 said:
The way I see it thus far, it looks like Ringo's mind became quite warped, thanks to her tragic past (sister's death and parents' divorce), to the point she believes that being a replacement for her sister would mend her family issues and she believes that her sister's diary tells the future while she is actually playing out the events experienced by her sister that were written into the diary up to her death.

Wow, you made things so much clearer for me. I didn't think about it simply being her sister's diary, though I still feel like there's more to it, but I bet it was her sister's diary to begin with. It makes more sense that way.

confuser987 said:
Okay movies and television are not suppose to alienate the audience with this pyscho stuff. ...especially when they try to cover it with cuteness. Even HIgurashi did not go that cute to that extent and I love the series enough to watch it 4 times over

I just want to say that shows are entitled to do what they want. It's classified as psychological for a reason, because it gets under your skin and you start to get attached to characters, and then something completely mind boggling craps on your mind. Also, this isn't Higurashi. Thus far there have been no weirdly insane murders, and also I think Higurashi has much more pleasant facades going on before everything gets weird, than in this.
HalibelTheEspadaFeb 16, 2013 5:13 PM
Mar 28, 2013 1:51 PM

Jan 2010
death note ref!
sailor moon ref!
ringo is still as crazy as ever
oh my red haired girl has a penguin
"M is between U and I"??
Umi?
Is that something we need to keep in mind.
Mar 31, 2013 5:39 PM

May 2012
Great development! Some interesting stuff happening that mysterious girls with her catapult seems to own also one of those penguins! But why is she targeting them? And why first removing all the memories of their connections? Weird but epic development! Ringo sure managed to make some nice setup under a house!

Lets see what's next!

Did anyone else catch this Death Note Reference:

Apr 2, 2013 1:30 AM

Jan 2013
4.475/5
I like Ringo, pretty determined
Apr 25, 2013 8:36 PM
Mar 2009
Seems like Shouma always finds himself at the wrong place, at the wrong time, haha.

Whoa, what. Did not see that coming. So Ringo is living her life based on what her deceased older sister wrote in her diary? And she's doing this so everyone else around her will be happy again? Wow, what the actual fuck. She's actually not as creepy/yandere anymore. And Tabuki sounded like he might have Blue Screened there.

Popping her cherry. LOL, Penguin!Himari is hilarious.

The plot thickens even more. Seems like the end of Ringo's arc is coming soon.
Jun 3, 2013 5:43 PM

Nov 2012
ringo again.. this time what? she get sick? lol XD okay I dont see anything stupid on this..

seeing ringo past is sad btw.. :/ so she want to marriage tabuki because her sister die? -_- cmon..

kinda weird when see ringo kissing shouma in sofa btw when her mom go home -_-
Jun 16, 2013 7:16 PM

Jul 2008
A lot was revealed in this episode. About the diary and Ringo's real goal. She doesn't want to marry tabuki she wants to be momoka (M) and tries to replicate what her sister did with tabuki in her entries.
Jul 31, 2013 9:33 AM

Feb 2011
They should just keep the penguins on a leash. XP That could be dangerous though, with the antics they get up to.

Ringo was especially creepy this episode, omg. Stop breathing like that, please.

So Ringo is trying to be Momoko. Her 'fate'. o_O

omg why does Ringo have a Death Note

I'm curious what Momoka had written in the journal.

So does Project M actually stand for Project Momoko? What was so special about her?
眠れないのは君のせい
Sep 15, 2013 8:02 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
IMAAGIINEEE!!

I disliked Ring before, but now after knowing why she does these things, I actually feel a bit sorry for her. And the crazy ona with the slingshot is really messing up Kanba's world. I wonder if it has anything to do with the money he borrowed.

The fantastic thing about this series is that I have absolutely no idea whatsoever of what's happening next.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 11, 2014 10:27 AM

Apr 2012
If Ringo actually becomes Momoka, she'll probably die lol. I actually like Ringo but I don't want her to end up with Shoma for some reason. Shit got deep this episode though!
Jan 11, 2014 7:49 PM

Jul 2012
Okay, Ringo, you're gone beyond just a creepy stalker.

Chouninatte said:
omg why does Ringo have a Death Note

^ THIS
Aug 30, 2014 3:53 AM

Aug 2013
Ringo needs help -___-

What's up with the red-haired penguin ping-pong ball sniper? And she has a penguin too O__O
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 13, 2014 10:24 AM

Nov 2014
Ringo is so far down the rabbithole...absolutely delusional!! But her family should've given that child some love if she thinks the only way to bring her family together is to become Momoko through her diary. Now I wanna see Kanba's side with the sling shot chick.

Oh, and Ringo needs to keep her hands to herself...down girl!
Jan 7, 2015 6:23 AM

Feb 2013
Ringo is a professional stalker lol I found her character very funny, still love the penguins they're the best from this anime

Jul 29, 2015 5:53 AM

Feb 2015
It's finally happened, she's gone completely deranged!

That lady at the end, this 'Project M' she was saying makes me wonder if she's Momoka.
Oct 12, 2015 4:15 PM

Feb 2012
Wow that was a very dark backstory to explain Ringo's creepy ways.

The part where Himari called her out on being a perverted stalker was funny. It was jerk move for Ringo to punch her and momentarily cause Himaru to die again.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 13, 2015 8:57 AM

Feb 2012
That death note reference haha

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 9, 2017 1:19 PM

Jul 2014
Damn, even more crazy by being a replacement, guess the family was that dysfunctional. Ringo has a fever yet goes and creeps under Tabuki's house for the night 0_0
Apr 19, 2017 3:22 PM

Mar 2012
Farabeuf said:

I disliked Ring before, but now after knowing why she does these things, I actually feel a bit sorry for her. And the crazy ona with the slingshot is really messing up Kanba's world. I wonder if it has anything to do with the money he borrowed.

The fantastic thing about this series is that I have absolutely no idea whatsoever of what's happening next.

to me that's the biggest problem about her. i don't wanna just feel sorry for her, i want for her to get better and stop acting so crazy. although i don't like tabuki, he doesn't really have anything to do with her plan to become her sister, and what she's doing is trespassing boundaries.

anyway, i wonder why the slingshot girl wants to erase kanba from everyone's memory. i can't help but think he did something really bad to get that kind of reaction of someone.
still confused, but enjoying it.
May 15, 2017 10:35 AM

Mar 2013
Ringo is creepy but the biggest information and plottwist of the day
Nov 12, 2017 8:53 AM

Jan 2017
No, seriously this is beyond repair.

I don't know why Shou or Kanba go straight to Tabuki and tell him and SHOW him what's going on, i mean that scene of her sleeping under his house was way too much...

Also, i got over my intentions of feeling sorry for her, it's not a thing that deserves it, she is just crazy on her own and needs to stop asap.

I don't know what's going on hahaha i'm kinda clueless with this series (sorta)

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Oct 18, 2018 3:45 PM

Mar 2016
I hate Ringo now. Shouma is trying so hard to keep his sister alive, and Ringo is just being an arse to him. This story isn't very fair to him.

The end was interesting.

The penguins are every where. I wonder what they're supposed to be.
Dec 17, 2018 1:54 AM

May 2013
It's official. I fucking hate Ringo =____=

She KNOWS that her stupid diary could possibly help Himari, yet refuses to hand it over and then EXPECTS Shou-chan to help her with her dumb Project M? Are you fucking kidding me??? This ain't no one way street, bitch. Where's the equivalent exchange??? Ugh. Penguin Himari needs to cuss her out again D:< plus, she's so bossy. Who do you think you are? Gtfo. Can't stand her. Kill her off or banish her already.

Still a creepy ass motherfucker as always, too. Smfh.

Not handing Shou-chan over to you D:<
Dec 23, 2018 5:07 PM

Jun 2017
Penguindrum 2: Dark Penguin

Most references to Schrodinger's cat are a shallow attempt at looking "Intellectual". I know shit, but even I can tell that it has long moved on from being a purely scientific thought and is something of a cultural artefact that appears on tv and even sitcoms. Still, it would seem a little dismissive to throw it off like that, without questioning whether a larger point is being made.
Someone earlier mentioned that it seemed unclear how the idea had relevance to what Tabuki had been saying before, about learning to ride a bike, and so on. It seemed to me that it could be taken in two ways. On the one hand Tabuki could have referred to the way in which Ringo's sister observed him, and gave structure to his own sense of identity and status.
But what Tabuki is getting at is precisely the opposite, or how Momoka taught him to see in a certain way. He say that the impact this had on him was so fundamental he cannot remember the world was like before. Perhaps the real point is the relation between these two sides. By looking at him in a certain way she was able to affect the way he saw the world. Like with a parent teaching their kid to ride a bike, they take them by hand and reassure them in order to guide them to achieve an independent action. I don't know where I'm going with this.
Apr 20, 2019 4:28 PM

Jun 2016
Wait...

Ringo has a bear plushie and a kappa plushie... bear and kappa...
IKUHARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Apr 23, 2019 5:40 PM

Aug 2008
I'm trying hard to keep interest in this anime but as soon as I get interested, strange nonsensical things start happening, its a cycle but it keeps me from really enjoying this anime.

Are they going to play that "Survival Strategy" song every episode? Makes me wonder if the show doesn't have the material for full episodes so they have to waste a minute every time to play that repetitive acid trip.
May 17, 2019 4:53 AM

Nov 2013
Ringo's obsession is out of all the boundaries. I don't even know if it's ok to NOT feel sorry for her anymore, since her character has become too unreal to be taken seriously.
Aug 1, 2019 2:08 AM

Aug 2017
I can't understand why so many people seem to hate Ringo. She's one of the most sympathetic characters in the show so far with a tragic backstory. She's trying to become her dead sister and to follow the notes in her diary so that her life is set according to the will of fate and her family is together again... This is just sad. I'm not even sure if she actually loves Tabuki. Ringo is surely a broken person. She even sees her plushies as her parents.
The fact that the date of Ringo's birthday, Momoko's death and Curry day is the same day - March 20th - is even more unsettling. The family must be teared down by this. By the way, the sarin attack in Tokyo subway happened on the same day. I wonder what day did Himaro die on? I don't think it was mentioned, but it seems to be before March 20th (because the "curry day" episode is shown after her death). And now it's October already. Time sure flies.

What could "project M" mean? It seems to have different meaning for Ringo and Masako. "Project Momoka" for Ringo, and as for Masako..."project Marunouchi"? I'm just making more sarin attack connections. By the way, it's interesting to note that exactly one person died in the attack on the Marunouchi line, and, coincidentally, it happened in the train bound for Ogikubo, where the Takakura family lives.

Also, Ringo seems to be seeing the penguins after being caught inside the penguin hat world.

There was also an interesting shot of Momoko's diary in the episode with a line that had a peach at the end. I just remembered that Ringo's "destiny" stamp also has a peach on it.
And "Momo" in "Momoka" means "peach" in Japanese. Coincidentally, peaches are tied to immortality in eastern tradition.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaches_of_Immortality
Thus, with this and her idea that she can follow Momoka's fate (after a talk with Tabuki in her childhood), Ringo is certain that upon fulfilling what's written in the diary, everything and everybody dear to her will become eternal in some sense.
Ringo also has a Death Note notebook, cute. I'm not yet familiar with this classic story, but basically everybody knows about this particular notebook.

I'm enjoying the show and the characters a lot so far, there's a lot going on visually and in the characters' minds. The amount of references, allusions and symbolism is also staggering, and I love that, it's always interesting to do a little research and find out what did the director mean by this or that element in the show.
St0rmbladeAug 1, 2019 3:00 AM
Apr 10, 2020 10:28 AM

Dec 2019
God Ringo is the definition of stalker, chill out... also that ending,mm things are getting interesting!
                                                         🖤   

Sep 21, 2020 4:34 PM
Apr 2016
"Momoka's diary".. I'm guessing she continued writing the dead girl's diary? Her obsession's genesis is peculiar to be honest, I can't imagine a normal person psychologically coming up with such interpretations if put in those kind of circumstances — her initial situation is relatively not all that abnormal, but her subsequent development really is. Hard to imagine it turning out this way, but not impossible I guess.
Sep 30, 2020 10:30 AM

Jan 2013
I can't help but feel this dark thing looming in the background.
All the stuff we learn, Ringo copying her older sister that passed away for example.

Oct 12, 2020 4:34 AM

Aug 2018
This girl is batshit crazy!
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Feb 11, 2021 1:15 AM

May 2020
I love it when Himari says "Survival Strategy".

Also, I hope the girl whose erasing memories isn't Kanba's ex. It'd be lame if she was.
Aug 4, 2021 12:47 PM

Feb 2020
Well, Ringo's backstory definitely explains why she is so twisted and obsessed with this guy. She received so little love she's become convinced she has to become her sister. That's messed up. But I've always felt like for how crazy she is, her actions are the result of of a serious need of affection. After all, she never seemed to be evil, she only ever seeks for love, in her own twisted ways, and without her even realizing how wrong that is. She is a very good character, both funny and tragic, so far she is the best thing to come out of the show (imo).

But since her diary actually belonged to Momoka, then why does the magic penguin hat want it so badly ? In what way is that related to the Penguindrum ? Is this hat thing in the wrong or is Ringo part of something big without knowing it ?
Also, I wonder who this woman is. She has a penguin, so it's obvious she is related to the Penguindrum, but it's suprising that the hat didn't mention her.
Apr 27, 2022 11:56 PM

Feb 2021
This reminded me of Future Diary. I hope it doesn't go in that direction tho, this is good so far
Sep 3, 2022 6:05 AM

Sep 2017
Ugh i hate the ringo tease with blue haired mc.

and I have no sympathy with ringo.

Overworking blue haired mc just because your sister was fated to be with a homeroom teacher makes no sense.

I hope she ends up alone, and lives as a old hag till the age of 93.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Oct 8, 2022 11:42 AM
Mar 2020
Se sintió como un montón de puntos inconexos.
Dec 18, 2022 4:16 PM

Jun 2020
judging by what ive heard about this show i am definitely too sad for its ending, but i am hooked nonetheless. already on my favorites list, i love the deep dive into character psyche
Jan 27, 4:43 PM

Nov 2022
I feel really bad and empathetic towards Ringo but she’s fucked in the head and weird.
Mar 13, 7:03 AM

Jul 2016
Project M? Didn't know Ringo was into the Brawl modding scene

When your parents fight all pissed because you'll never replace your sis,
That's a moray~
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.