How would you rate this anime?
Jul 29, 2011 9:00 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Anime: Boogiepop Phantom

MAL Anime Information Page: Boogiepop Phantom

MAL Score – 7.39 (by 6278 users)
Ranked - #1511
Popularity - #555

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the anime that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Boogiepop Phantom was NOT inducted into the club Anime list:
12 Yes - 41.3%
17 No - 58.6%

40 Don't know this anime - 54.7% of the total number polled
4 Abstained - 5.4% of the total number polled
LindleSep 28, 2018 1:56 PM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 29, 2011 11:28 AM
Sep 2009
Boogiepop Phantom is a multi-layered horror that analyzes the human psyche, and how past experiences and traumas can effect it. It has a unique piecemeal narrative as it follows a different character, or different group of characters, every episode. It is fascinating to see the pieces of the story come together, the way certain events effect different people, and how the characters effect one another, often inadvertently. It also allows the viewer to see events from a different perspective, giving different context for every character concerned. Added to that is the show's supernatural elements, which are used to great effect to highlight the issues these characters have. A lot of what you see is more than its face-value.

Given how the show switches characters every episode, they are developed extremely well. They are all believable personalities, and every one of their stories is thematically relevant, having nary a wasted moment. You see glimpses of their past, as well as central events in the story, and how they shape the characters' actions, philosophies etc.; attributes which ultimately lead them to whatever fate they face.

The art and sound do a great job of supporting the morbid atmosphere. The sepia-tone color scheme is fitting and gives the show an uneasy feel; the character designs aren't incredible but help the show feel grounded in reality despite the supernatural elements. The animation certainly isn't top notch, and there are quite a few still frames, but it's forgivable; it is not like a show like this really calls for amazing animation. The sound design is where the show really shines. Weird ambient, deranged music pieces, and distorted voices really add to the tension. Despite its limited animation, the city still feels alive and lurking with danger because of the superb sound.

Note that Boogiepop Phantom is part of a bigger franchise, and there are things that are only vaguely explained. However, by no means is it incomplete, the story it tells comes to a definite end with an understated conclusion that solidifies the shows important themes. From what I understand, even though it includes events from the first and fourth novels, Boogiepop Phantom is an original work made specifically for anime (though I have not read all the novels, and with the poor sales in the U.S. I likely will never get the chance). So that means, unlike other anime adaptations which take away or cover only a small portion of the story, Boogiepop Phantom actually adds more to the franchise and at the same time keeps in the spirit of the original work.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Jul 30, 2011 7:29 PM

Feb 2011
Boogiepop Phantom is a story of change as people grow about their past, as well as issues such as escapism, escape from reality.
Each chapter is worthy of a analizis,are stories of young people,the chapters are somewhat messy but then are linked to make a linear history.
But in my opinion,the disadvantages and drawbacks are,as read a comment here of the club in an old revision of another series: the serie try to be complex or artistic when in fact it is not.
If I treat the series of summary and simple: is a story of the struggle between the Towa organization and evolved beings And that engage youth of weak personalities. But the background story,is what makes the series worthy of attention.
I would like read the novel of this series.
Story: 7

Animation: 7

This is where the series shines brighter, the best part. From the whistle of Boogiepop, the distorted vocals, the soundtrack (not so notable,but fine) and the OP and ED are all very according to the series and gives appropriate a mysterious surroundings, dark and fucked up that characterizes it.
Sound:8

The characters are mostly a adolescent drama, but Boogiepop is that makes the difference, not by design and mysterious it is, but apart from being cruel, shows us the ideas that people should not stay the past and should move on, evolve.
Poom poom and Manaka also show us how weak remain immersed in memories.
Characters: 6

For some, the series may seem boring and even annoying.
Well,after seeing it again, I enjoyed it as long ago. Although now, I have to realize some things not seen before.
Entertainment: 7.5

Boogiepop Phantom In my opinion is not so much as a masterpiece, but it's a good show, that's for sure.
And although it seems to leave doubt in his argument, is a good trip. Recommendable.
overall: 7.7
I say yes.
Aug 3, 2011 4:37 PM

Jan 2009
Boogiepop is popcorn.

The phenomenon that the franchise encirces seems to me puzzling. not only would i say the novels are much better than any of the mangas or the anime, but i'd also say i just dont understand why it is so popular.

The characters featured are awkwad teenagers. Nothing particularly irregular is applicated to character portrayal or development. The enigma of boogiepop is, well, boring.

The animation of the anime i'd also say is unfortunate. A1 pictures made it too bright. The art particularly pales in comparison to its manga counterparts.

The voices I found annoying.

As for the actual plot- it really wasn't anything special! It's written as 'young adult' and gosh does it get that part right.
Aug 4, 2011 2:54 AM

Nov 2007
ridojiri said:
As for the actual plot- it really wasn't anything special! It's written as 'young adult' and gosh does it get that part right.

What does that mean? How is it young adult and what is wrong with YA?
Aug 4, 2011 4:13 AM

Jan 2009
'What is wrong with young adult'
Everything.

It's young adult because that's exactly the demographic it was produced for and aimed at. In some ways this means A1 was successful.

The idea of high school kids battling a villian shrouded behind urban legend is extremely unoriginal. And the actual portrayal of the high school students is also very staid and boring. The manticore idea was slightly better... but honestly, the whole thing just reminds me of the t.v. show 'animorphs'. The same awkward script and docile teenagers somehow pulling through, different perspectives shown [that did not help the show whatsoever], and in all honestly the soundtrack and last episode were simply jarring instead of poignant. And the fact that touka's mpd was done so off-handedly, so... brusquely, annoyed me.
Aug 4, 2011 9:12 AM
Sep 2009
How did telling the story through different perspectives not help? Personally, I found it quite interesting to hear characters internal monologue and ideas of the world. It fleshed them out in a unique effective way. As for the premise of teenagers fighting a villain shrouded in urban legend, yeah it's not the most original, but the way it is handled is a big difference from the norm.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Aug 6, 2011 6:51 AM

Oct 2008
I'm a little disappointed that I'm so tired right now. There are some really great aspects to this work that are definitely not "young adult". Certain concepts of reality bending were very well done. Something that impressed me a little more after picking this series up again was that originally I missed how many film tools were used. Although I wouldn't say they were all effective. The non-linear noir story structure, pieced together slowly throughout the story mostly through the flashback device was effective at first but then began to become to formulaic in later episodes. The fish eye lens mimicking also began to stand out too much later in the story, but to the animators credit, as the episodes continued they used it less and less as the story began to divulge more pieces of the plot. The music also changed as the story began to become more clear. At first it was very industrial and as mentioned before noise like. In later episodes the music took on more rhythm with the use of more classical instruments and singing. Some of the episodes were very good, and few were just ok. Episode five seemed to be a turning point in the plot and story for me and continued to build up to episode eight. However it seems the story struggled after this point. The introduction of the shinigami taking on a large role was a turn off for me. The struggle between human evolution and some sort of grand design of undefined shinigami beings was largely left undeveloped, although I must say that I'm rather pleased that it was. I almost wish the series would have ended at episode eight and left the mystery intact. With the loss of the mystery the story really became boring and the major flaws, like the animation and art began to become even more evident.

Overall though I have to say that I actually thought this series is a better horror series. The sound design and music was excellent, the use of the fish eye filter and blur effect did effectively make me feel like I was slightly disoriented, like I was in a dream or looking into an alternate reality. It was other worldly at first but as the story continued and the mystery faded the effects and film devices became very transparent. I'm gonna sleep on this, but I did enjoy this series enough to give it a 7/10 for at least attempting to create a cinematic experience. If I can find some time I'll watch the last few episodes again when I'm not so tired. For now a 7 from me equals a yes.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.