Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »
Dec 13, 2013 5:17 AM

Aug 2013
ShadesofSilver said:
I watched this movie today and I will say the animation is pretty and the story is nice but just like everyone else I'm afraid the ending ruined everything for me. I did read some of the forum post that try to explain the deeper and more realistic side that the ending portrays but I'm sorry I just can't accept it. Takaki and Akari should have at least seen each other at the end. If they did that I could at least accept they both acknowledged that they both moved on from each other but because Akari disappeared rather than facing Takaki I just feel horribly unsatisfied.

That my friend is real life, it hurts, though look on the positive side, at least his heart becomes a little more malleable and Tataki will find happiness just like Akari found happiness when she moved on. By letting go of the past, you go forward in life
Dec 22, 2013 10:13 AM

Sep 2013
Takaki should have just got together with Kanae.
Dec 24, 2013 11:27 AM

Jan 2013
The ending, is extremely well done. If you didn't like it, that's probably of the fact you can't accept that happy endings are not always the best. It would only ruin the whole anime if it had a happy ending. *cough* Clannad: After Story *cough*. It's meant to be depressing. It's meant to be painfully realistic and it tells you that you have to move on with life, even after losing someone who is used to be dear to you. 5 Centimeters per Second created a bigger impact on me by averting a false fairy tale happy ending, and while it was a sad one, it was also memorable and it perfectly reflects reality.

Life is bittersweet. And that’s OK with me. Happiness without sadness would not be complete…as long as suffering persists.
Jan 3, 2014 9:26 AM

Jul 2013
asume5 said:
Takaki should have just got together with Kanae.
Read the manga.
Pusswookie said:
This,
cressidaaa said:
Levi and Eren should be bro's. I'm rooting for their friendship!

is truth.
Jan 16, 2014 4:41 AM

Dec 2012
It was good. The animation and soundtrack were great. I loved the scenery. I disliked the character art style, more specifically their faces. Loved the first episode, didn't like the 2nd one that much and thought the third one wasn't necessary. The song and scenes at the end were great on their own but the song didn't fit the atmosphere of anything before it, too loud.

7-7.5/10

Well I'm glad that I didn't watch this when I first started watching because I would have been seriously depressed especially since it's a romance.

Edit: Fuck, FUCK FUCK FUCK.... O_O

Takaki is Tonho. I only realized this after looking at the character pages. I feel so stupid. Holy shit. Since he was referred to differently be each girl I thought there were two male characters and the two stories were separated. Oh my god. Dammit, this why I disliked the art style, it's hard to distinguish the characters, they all look plain and bland.

Well I guess I will round it up to an 8. Tonho makes sense now and the story seems better and more interesting in retrospective lol.
tsudecimoJan 16, 2014 4:48 AM
Jan 16, 2014 12:43 PM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:
It was good. The animation and soundtrack were great. I loved the scenery. I disliked the character art style, more specifically their faces. Loved the first episode, didn't like the 2nd one that much and thought the third one wasn't necessary. The song and scenes at the end were great on their own but the song didn't fit the atmosphere of anything before it, too loud.

The final chapter wasn't necessary at all. If you paid enough attention, you would receive a very important message from the final 5 minutes.

Takaki realized that the Akari he saw was a mere illusion. From this moment he realized she moved on with life as well. Then if you watched closely you could see Takaki walking away with a smile on his face because he realized Akari moved on and became happy. Now he starts to move on as well and is going to live a happy life as well , hence the smile.
Jan 16, 2014 6:50 PM

Mar 2013
Just watched it this morning.
It was a really good film. It sticks to realism and made me realize that things won't always be a 'happily ever after' ending. Still a painful realization though.
Plus, I didn't expect this film to teach me a thing or two. Glad I could watch it.
Jan 18, 2014 12:36 PM

Feb 2013
Why did Takaki smile at the end? Was he able to move on? That's my guess. The other 2 girls were able to move on. I hope Takaki was too.
Feb 10, 2014 7:58 AM

Oct 2013
I though this was suppose to be sad,i didn't like it that much 6/10 from me.

Feb 13, 2014 2:15 AM

Oct 2013
I love it, Although I didnt expect that Akari wouldn't look back when they crossed the train.
Feb 13, 2014 8:27 AM

Jan 2014
Holy crap. For a 2007 film, this movie was well made! So much FEELS! :(

I love how sad the movie is and how realistic the message it wants to convey.
The illusion of Akari by Tohno in the train scene... JUST WOW! Damn. Great Movie! :D

*heartbreak*
Insert Signature Here
Feb 14, 2014 6:54 PM

Apr 2012
I can relate to everything from unrequited / undeclared / unconsummated love to horrible train journeys, but wasn't really feeling most of this. The only part that really grabbed me was the very end when he realised he'd died inside and needed to move on.

I guess because that's mainly speaking to my age, and moving on is Difficult without any sort of closure / impetus.

Good, but I'd heard it was amazing.
(Come to think of it, if Tono watched this in his despondent state he'd probably feel the same way...) I wonder if the problem is me not this anime

ps I still thought the Kanae part was necessary; it seemed fairly aimless but showed how he was growing emotionally isolated. And who knows? If she was bold and let him know how she felt he might've even reconsidered things.
BlackoutingFeb 14, 2014 7:10 PM
Feb 14, 2014 7:11 PM

Jan 2013
This is probably the worst and the most perfect movie to rewatch for Valentine's Day. Shinkai's style really comes through after watching most of his works. This is his best by far IMO. Happy Valentine's Day.

;_;
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Feb 14, 2014 9:37 PM

Sep 2012
Blackouting said:

ps I still thought the Kanae part was necessary; it seemed fairly aimless but showed how he was growing emotionally isolated. And who knows? If she was bold and let him know how she felt he might've even reconsidered things.

she did, read the manga and look closely at the final montage.
Feb 21, 2014 11:27 AM

Mar 2013
As a closet romantic, this movie just smashed my heart and then trampled all over the pieces.

I am having a hard time thinking of any anime with this kind of an end... I guess Mawaru Penguindrum has an incredibly bittersweet end too, but holy fuck was this movie a steadfast kick to the nads.
Mar 7, 2014 5:36 PM
Mar 2014
Anybody read the second novel? 5 cm per second - one more side.
I am dying to read it. Has anyone read it or seen a translated version somewhere?
Mar 8, 2014 2:33 PM
Jan 2014
Fantastic film.

10/10

The part at the very end after the music was just, ugh.

T_T.
Apr 15, 2014 11:07 PM
Dec 2013
chapter I : 9/10
Chapter II: 7/10
Chapter III: 5/10

Chapter III is only 5 coz they didn't end up as couple... :_/ ..

Apr 17, 2014 3:03 AM

Jan 2012
Maybe I relate to it too well, but this movie broke my heart.
Live, Laugh, Love.

Apr 17, 2014 3:06 AM
Jan 2014
It broke mine too, I can't ever rewatch it. The greatest heartbreak is when you can't be with the person you love because of situation/life. They were perfect for each other, just not a perfect situation.
Apr 17, 2014 3:28 AM

Jul 2010
I watched it already 9 times. And I would still repeat it. Cause damn too good anime ^^

But don't forget "Garden of Words". As well a good anime although it's only 45 min.
Apr 17, 2014 3:44 AM

Feb 2013
Oh...man......that anime sure made my eyes get all sweaty.....

God....I really need to watch something happier after that one.....fucking hell.
Apr 17, 2014 10:41 AM

Jan 2011
4 years ago when I watched it for the first time I was like "Hmm... it's OK", but after the second watch the movie has really grown on me... The second part just left me speechless. Truly a work of art.
Apr 18, 2014 4:23 PM
Aug 2013
Look at it from a neutral view point.
>A boy and girl fell in love
>They got separated (life's a bitch)
>skip to adulthood
>both had the chance have a new life partner,Now what happened? The girl chose to marry, yet the guy stayed hartbroken. THIS RIGHT THERE is often true. Even studies show that it happens that way.
I just wanted to point that out
Apr 25, 2014 6:14 AM

Sep 2013
Meh..no feels for me.

6/10
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
May 11, 2014 12:31 PM

Feb 2014
That ending was like a stab in my heart. But I can't see a more fitting ending for this movie.
May 13, 2014 3:23 PM

Mar 2014
Just rewatched it the third time and still the best anime movie for me. There are no words to describe this beautiful artwork ( I mean who doesn't have at least one wallpaper/picture with the scenes on his computer- my favourite one is when the rocket is launched and it flyes right through the middle of the sun and towards the planet (Earth?nice idea)) and the heart-breaking theme song, made me feel sorry for not being born Japanese to understand without translation, but it isn't a barrier because you can feel that bitter-sweet pain even without knowing at first.
Jun 8, 2014 8:39 PM
Aug 2013
actually the ending is not sad. I do really like this movie but not because it is sad.
Jun 9, 2014 7:25 AM

Oct 2013
Average movie with a very beautiful artwork. Didn't know it was a 2007 film intil I looked it up here on MAL.

It feels tgat they crammed too much plot in too little time.

Episode 1 we have a boy riding a train going to where her love is. Then they talked and kissed under a tree. Then boy goes home and probably never saw the girl again.

Episode 2 was in their highschool days where another girl had a crush on the boy and the boy was all emo and shit. Then said girl tries to confess but realized that the boy never looked at her that way and that he was always looking beyond.

Episode 3 we have the boy all grown up but still loved his childhood love although Akari is already engaged and moved on with her life. Then a sad song was thrown in with a series of clips showibg the boy (forgot his name) and Akari and all that happened, what should have happened, and what he thinks is happening (like when he sees Akari outside the train). And then they end the movie.

The movie had a lot of potential and probably would have been way better if they increased the episode count and also showed us how the two was able to move on with their lives.

Anyway, it wasn't a waste of time although its still not something I'm gonna rewatched anytime soon.
Jun 10, 2014 1:59 PM

Jan 2013
I get the feeling that a lot of people took this movie the wrong way.

Without a doubt, this is one of the best looking things I have seen so far. I just can't speak highly enough of how amazing it looks. But, it's not all pretty visuals. I have never seen an anime before that felt so 'alive' as this one.

Summarized, this movie is not something to enjoy or whatever, it's something that has to make you think, to make you look back to the past. It is more the heavy feeling you have after watching this, which lasts for like several days. You think about your own feelings. We all had a person or more, we are drifted away from. It hurts. And this is what is sad.

I would say to everyone to re-watch this if you disliked it, just to realize it's simplicity, which also lends the movie it's beauty. The message at the ending is the most important thing about the movie. It tells you to move on, no matter how hard life sucks. It shows us how unfair and painful life can be, that life can be so cruel from time to time, as it isn't the kind of paradise most shows want us to believe.

This is without a doubt one of the best romances out there, probably along with Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal it is the best. Instead of showing a forced crappy ending where problems are solved with magic (in shows like Kanon, Clannad and other key bullshit), this anime perfectly illustrates and reflects real life. The cruelty of childhood, the delusion of adulthood.

The world we live in is gentle yet sad, fun yet sorrowful, strong yet ephemeral.
killmeeeJun 10, 2014 2:05 PM
Jun 10, 2014 9:40 PM

Oct 2013
No heavy feeling for me after watching this.
Jun 10, 2014 10:16 PM

Aug 2013
Jharapsody said:
chapter I : 9/10
Chapter II: 7/10
Chapter III: 5/10

Chapter III is only 5 coz they didn't end up as couple ... :_/ ..

Literally the lamest reason to rate it lower

Idk, I personally think the ending was one of the best parts of the movie.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Jun 11, 2014 6:57 AM

Jan 2013
StillSwingin007 said:
Idk, I personally think the ending was one of the best parts of the movie.

It was.
Jun 11, 2014 6:57 AM

Jan 2013
-Riptide- said:

You still don't know where I was getting to, do you?
Jun 11, 2014 7:02 AM

Apr 2014
This is the best anime film I've seen to date.

Jun 11, 2014 7:09 AM

Jan 2013
Exactly.
Jun 11, 2014 10:40 AM

Oct 2013
Broeksnoek said:
This is the best anime film I've seen to date.

Then you haven't seen a lot of anime film.

StiffyMcBoner said:
-Riptide- said:

You still don't know where I was getting to, do you?

I got what you're trying to say. All I'm saying is they crammed too much story in the span of one hour. Plus the characters lack depth. All we know from Akari was she was the protagonist's girlfriend when they were 13 and then they got seperated. Next time we see her, she's already engaged to someone else. And all we got from the protagonist (what was his name again?) in episode 2 was him being a depressed teen who couldn't move on with his life. How am I supposed to like the movie if I barely knew the main characters? And who the hell was the girl in episode 3 texting the protagonist?

Oh and one more thing. At least those "key bullshit" have characters with depth. And as far as I know, key's bullshit has better stories than this "realistic" movie.
Jun 11, 2014 10:42 AM

Apr 2014
Tis true. I haven't seen alot of anime in general, let alone animation films..but this story did have a large impact on me. To that extent that it got me back into anime after a 3 year hiatus.

Jun 11, 2014 10:59 AM

Oct 2013
Broeksnoek said:
Tis true. I haven't seen alot of anime in general, let alone animation films..but this story did have a large impact on me. To that extent that it got me back into anime after a 3 year hiatus.

Well I ain't gonna judge your opinion. But still, you should watch more animes. A lot are better than this.
Jun 11, 2014 12:18 PM

Jan 2013
Key's magical shit deals with bland characters and extremely forced drama. With the overdramatic parts the anime is literally asking you: "Are you crying already?". Instead of leaving a real message to its audience, it just fucks everything up in the last episode. But no, every problem gets fixed with magic. Maybe the only message left was that problems in life can be fixed with magic? No sorry, but I just don't believe in magic. Just because those characters get more screentime, doesn't mean that they have depth already. Most of them deal with incomplete characterization or don't have any real motives. Most of them are plot devices and there are tons of supporting characters who are there for reasons I have yet to understand.

Furthermore, there are too many convenient plot devices, they contradicted their own pursuit of realism and there are tons over-dramatized situations. Those shows spent so much time trying to build this false delusion about how "friendship solves everything" that essential aspects got completely disregarded, which is an incredible shame, since a show like After Story had so much potential.

I think we just have to deal with the fact that our opinions just differ.
Jun 11, 2014 12:21 PM

Apr 2014
5 cm = best anime film i've ever seen.
after story = best anime series i've ever seen.

Gonna grab popcorn. This is gonna be good....xD

Jun 12, 2014 10:24 AM

Oct 2013
Whoah slow down there. I think we're getting a bit off topic here. My argument was that the characters are underdeveloped. Having very little screen time, we get to know so little about 5cm/s' characters. It makes it hard for me to feel sorry for them because I know little about them. The movie didn't give me time to know the characters so by episode 3 when they suddenly ended the movie with a song that tries to force you to be sad, I felt nothing.

Anyway, you're right. I guess we should just agree to disagree.
Jun 12, 2014 10:54 AM

Jan 2013
I understand.

You're right.

I love you.
Jun 18, 2014 5:43 AM

Jun 2013
I watched this anime with my whole class before in HS. And I can remember how pissed almost all of us were. lol
Jun 22, 2014 3:28 PM
Apr 2014
Sigh... I feel like I just got shot through the chest. Now I feel empty.
Jul 9, 2014 8:03 AM

Dec 2012
Just realized!! They never got their scooters back from that place, did they??(can't quite remember, despite having just watched it)

Anyway, I wanted the happy ending!!! I want to rewatch it, but at the same time I don't want to cos of the sad ending...

Really good movie, amazing art(loved the backgrounds, so much detail), the sound was outstanding. I don't care what someone else says, this is a true masterpiece. But I still wanted the happy ending where Akari and Tohno end up together again!!!
Jul 12, 2014 10:58 AM

Oct 2012
So sad. The girl turned out to be happier than the guy.

P.S. 27 people have no heart??
Jul 17, 2014 1:05 AM

Oct 2011
It was a very good movie overall though the last part was just depressing.
Jul 19, 2014 11:30 AM

Jul 2014
WTF is with the ending. Gah!!
I don't know why I agree to my friend demanding me to watch this anime. Now i just got her reasoning, she just doesn't want me to have an ending like Takaki.
Nonetheless, it's still a beautiful movie to watch. I love that music with piano as bgm and the ending song just made me burst like a baby. I just hope both of them got their happy ending. really.
Google first, ask later
Pages (16) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Apr 30, 2007

104 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 10:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.