Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 20, 2019 11:28 AM
Jul 2018
how bleak... The atmosphere and music was great, the sudden shift to empty sunlight after all the bloodshed. Love the direction.

and a lot of mystery, love it

Enjoyed the statements from radio.. who is the voice?
Nov 1, 2019 8:36 PM

Jan 2011
i wish we had a better explanation as to what happened to this world but seeing as there are only 3 eps left i doubt it
so the city above ground is also dying, i guess we are getting a depressing ending?
Nov 5, 2020 7:23 PM

Jun 2010
That indo-dump over jazz music that began the episode was very strange. Things like Doc putting her own cells into Ichise's limbs or the mysterious obelisk being connected to all texhnolyzed body-parts seems much too important to just blurt out all at once and the music was too "cool" and relaxed for anything in this bleak setting.
Dec 16, 2020 8:08 AM
Mar 2020
The ending movie was both disturbful and pretty
Mar 6, 2021 1:44 AM
Aug 2016
Damn! This episode reminded me of Attack on Titan. Ichise and Doc realizing how disappointing the outside world is felt similar to how Eren felt in Season 3 Part 2. Wow, just wow.
Apr 3, 2021 7:35 PM
Apr 2014
vigorousjammer said:
Well, this was a change of pace, which I guess I appreciate... however, I'm still not sure what the significance of any of this is.

Like, what's with those radios? and the sunflowers?
This all seems like pointless, random imagery...

The radios and the abstract poetry are a reference to Jean Cocteau's Orpheus. I haven't seen it myself (only found out after looking up the poetry while watching) but from what I gather it deals with some similar themes. I get the feeling there are other references being made in this episode that I don't know with the flowers and art style but I'm looking forward to dissecting when I actually finish the series.
Apr 20, 2021 9:02 AM

Mar 2010
Just when you think things can't be even more desolate and lifeless.. we see above ground lolz.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 27, 2021 12:46 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So the Obelisk is really here to give the powers to the texhnolyze, and they can't work or only partially outside.
And finally they went outside, but it's as creepy as Lux, they couldn't manage to get help there...
The final part with the short movie was really interesting, a backstory of the creation of Lux and how horrible it was before.
Jun 11, 2021 5:16 PM
Aug 2020
This episode gave me the chills! that movie was creepy AF but interesting... I need more answers now

Also does anyone know the name of that Italian I guess song? when Doc and Ichinse was explaining the situation?
Sep 14, 2021 5:33 AM

Mar 2018
grayrebornnhy said:
-Tien- said:
"A mirror improves the ability to think." Great quote referring to self-reflection.

The title of this episode, Heavenward, helps us make sense of it. The surface world is essentially heaven, a utopia. The people living there could not find purpose in a perfect world, so I guess they eventually lost their sense of self-preservation and are now empty shells of their former selves.

Indeed. Utopia is but another dystopia, due to it losing its original purpose of being utopia. While Lux reflects humanity's vice, violence, greed for power and the control by the Class; the surface world doesn't even bother to fight on to live, slowly regressing into nothing as they find no reason to live in a perfect world. Texhnolyze does it extremely well in luring viewers to feel that dystopia is purely hopeless, only for them to shock viewers with the true utopia, the antithesis juxtaposing with Lux side-by-side, separated only by a rail (which is a theme in this anime throughout its 19-episode course).

After all, the creation of Lux, as shown in the film in this episode, was created when the Class rounded up people who were thought to be imperfect or impure of thought, killing many and forcing the rest into the underground city. In turn, only people deemed as 'pure' remained in the surface world, but because vice is non-existent, conflict is non-existent, humans lose their raison d'être and live on like mindless beings with no purpose in life

All spot on interpretations here.

Relating back to Tien post; I feel this takes us back to Yoshii whereas instead of letting himself fade away Above Ground like the rest, he releases his spiraling mental state on Lux and decides to have a little fun toying with The City at the cost of many.

This episode reminded me of another element that this show has been strong at which is it's music; The jazz within the intro was lovely.

Before EP.15, this show was a soft 7. After EP.15, this show has picked itself up to a very strong 8 edging on 9. Really good stuff and hope to see it continue it's momentum to the end.
Nov 28, 2021 1:39 PM

Aug 2017
Fantastic backgrounds as well as storyboarding and direction on this episode, looked straight out of some surrealist paintings.

The girl was probably a manifestation of Eriko in her childhood (I'm not sure but it seemed like nobody saw her except Eriko herself)
Dec 30, 2021 8:05 PM

Feb 2021
Weird, this isn't really what I was expecting. How could Yoshi come from a place like this and decide on his own free will to enter the city? It doesn't make sense to me. Is life really this empty and meaningless?
CrackMay 18, 2022 6:44 PM
May 13, 2022 9:08 PM

Dec 2021
cool to see the substantial difference between both worlds, how can that girl looking robot teleport? interesting montage near the end, stuff to look into ig
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Sep 14, 2022 10:19 AM
Sep 2016
Corporate America, amirite?
Oct 21, 2022 8:45 PM
Aug 2022
What an absolutely jaw-dropping episode out of nowhere!

Being slowly dragged through this unnerving, liminal-space of a suburban hellscape after 18 episodes of suffocating, underground slums and urban poverty was a radical change in setting that hit me completely off guard.
And pairing that with the complete and total annihilation of what we & the characters thought was the world-state is exactly the kind of existential sci-fi dread that tricked me into watching anime in the first place.

I swear, if only there was more deep, unsettling terror beyond our human ability to comprehend and less high schoolers in robot suits within this medium, I would've gotten into these chinese cartoons way sooner than I did.
SaturnShotgunOct 21, 2022 8:51 PM
Nov 7, 2022 6:08 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Whoa we get some COLOUR.... and yet while everything seems so perfect, it's also eerie, and dead.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 13, 2023 1:51 PM

Dec 2010
It was such a shock to see sunlight after 18 episodes of artificial days and nights. I can see why Yoshii was disappointed with this place, but that didn't mean he has to go apeshit crazy and get Lukuss's people to kill each other for his amusement. He could and experience the struggle of the working class for example.
Mar 7, 2023 2:30 AM

Dec 2022
The track that starts playing around six minutes into this is captivating. Most of the episode is extremely abstract, but I doubt it'll be particularly relevant to the remaining episodes.

Shaded Horizon

May 7, 2023 9:00 PM

Feb 2016
every time I watch this show I'm always full of anticipation for this episode and it always deliver. it comes out of nowhere and completely changes the game. scrap Lain, this is Konaka's greatest script
Aug 15, 2023 8:19 PM
Jun 2023
i dont get why everyone is a weird hologram shadow thing. 
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tounoyaboys - Jul 1, 2008

323 by AMfromtheWORLD »»
Apr 24, 11:40 AM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - May 6, 2009

174 by chow141 »»
Apr 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 14, 2009

66 by Sanak_ »»
Apr 4, 4:08 AM

» If you connected with any of these characters, why?

sheaswee - Feb 7

14 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 31, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

loghneckbeard - Apr 28, 2010

53 by I_is_lost »»
Jan 11, 6:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.