Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 9, 2016 6:55 PM

Apr 2014
Wow this is getting to be a really terrible adaptation. Thankfully Planetarian is having a more faithful anime so far

Jul 9, 2016 8:05 PM
Jan 2015
The club was a little rushed because the producers wanted more interation between all the group members, I think that's why.
Jul 9, 2016 8:08 PM

Oct 2015

Well I guess she didn't mind that grope after all.
Jul 9, 2016 8:15 PM

Dec 2012
Pretty rushed from a VN player's point of view. Still pretty much enjoyed it as it was hilarious lol. Sad to see this getting left out though. >.>

Also Oppai Route confirmed hue hue. :9
Jul 9, 2016 8:19 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
It was obvious that this was made strictly for the VN readers. It was fun seeing some moments being adapted and the humor was on point. Character designs are a little disappointing and this episode was pretty rushed. But I loved the OP and ED.

4/5
GoldenDevilGamerJul 9, 2016 8:26 PM
Jul 9, 2016 8:49 PM

Jun 2013
PervertOlympus said:
Unlike Clannnad and Little Busters i get the vibe that this one will fail.[/img]

We have more likes than dislikes. This is only going to fail for the VN elitists who are butthurt for not getting their waifu route adapted.

As an stand-alone show, its going really well.

Why can't people understand that is impossible to adapt all the heroine routes and get the same experience as the VN? Rewrite isn't like your average visual novel which you can just throw in the heroine routes and make sense out of it. You just can't.

This Kagari route was necessary to make Rewrite in anime format. Can't people just accept that already?
Jul 9, 2016 9:38 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
All aboard the Shizuru train. I'm loving her personality.
She had some pretty funny moments this episode.
- Sleeping under a tree, wakes up to her creepy ringtone.
- Avoids the glomp from behind but still gets glomped by other girl.
- Explains her reason for being in the Occult Club.

A bit of Kagari as well. Girl ready to chow down on Tennouji but gets the shinigami instead lol which makes her cough and leave. Pretty hilarious.

I haven't played the VN but I'm still enjoying the show regardless.

Jul 9, 2016 9:47 PM
May 2016
I haven't played the VN of this, so I don't kow how well the adaptation is and I somewhat felt it rushed, they all been gathered in the club for a very ahort period of time. But I enjoyed the episode, pretty much on the fart scene and the ice cream with death sauce scene. The OP and ED waa nice and relaxing, I'm liking it.

So as said by many VN readers, this were about philosophies huh?...looks interesting, and Im very curious about the questionnaire, Kotarou wrote "I hope I can become somebody", what's this thing about?. I'm hype for the next episode.
Neo_oeNJul 9, 2016 9:52 PM
Jul 9, 2016 10:09 PM
Sep 2013
So that's what happened with the shikigamis. Now I know. Doesn't explain why they were floating to attack Kagari though. Anyways, glad they toned down Lucia's outbursts, seems to have less ear-splitting screams than I remember.

I'm torn though. The club's silly little misadventures are fun as hell to watch so a lot would be lost if those don't get adapted. Yet at the same time, if they adapt those, they won't have time for serious plot parts. Guess its gonna depend on how original this supposed modified Kagari route is.
Jul 9, 2016 10:29 PM

Jul 2012
Murasa22 said:
We have more likes than dislikes. This is only going to fail for the VN elitists who are butthurt for not getting their waifu route adapted.

Why can't people understand that is impossible to adapt all the heroine routes and get the same experience as the VN? Rewrite isn't like your average visual novel which you can just throw in the heroine routes and make sense out of it. You just can't.

This Kagari route was necessary to make Rewrite in anime format. Can't people just accept that already?
Uh what? From what I've been reading on the two episode threads we have, VN readers are mostly neutral to positive about the adaptation while anime onlys were negative to neutral about this. I already enjoy this plenty even if I know its likely to crash and burn for anime onlys. Among the few posters that aren't blatantly and excessively critical about the show, they've raised some valid points. And given what I think Episode 3 is going to be about, it might not be enough to pique the interest of those who are only giving Rewrite the 3 episode rule.
Bl4ckR4bbi7 said:
So as said by many VN readers, this were about philosophies huh?...looks interesting, and Im very curious about the questionnaire, Kotarou wrote "I hope I can become somebody", what's this thing about?. I'm hype for the next episode.
Yes, it is most definitely about philosophies. I couldn't find a way to convey that Anime onlys can take a look at the screen shot I posted on page 3 without being spoiled, but you paved the way for me.

Just a small excerpt from the VN for you to taste.
Jul 9, 2016 10:57 PM

Sep 2013
Still very rushed, but I guess it will all come down to how they handle the new route. I never cared much for the interactions between MC and Akane, or MC and Lucia, so it this wasn't all to fun to watch.

The Kagari scenes were nice at least.
Jul 9, 2016 10:57 PM
May 2016
jaxter0987 said:
Bl4ckR4bbi7 said:
Yes, it is most definitely about philosophies. I couldn't find a way to convey that Anime onlys can take a look at the screen shot I posted on page 3 without being spoiled, but you paved the way for me.

Just a small excerpt from the VN for you to taste.
well it just got my interest to the plot of this show, cause I like mostly shows with philosophy.
Jul 9, 2016 11:18 PM

Jul 2013
L-Ryoshi said:
Question, was that fart scene in the VN as well?
How did that go in the VN? Screen caps would be highly appreciated.

The fart was anime original, but I thought it was funny as fuck.
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Jul 9, 2016 11:27 PM
Dec 2014
sanata50lbsb said:
L-Ryoshi said:
Question, was that fart scene in the VN as well?
How did that go in the VN? Screen caps would be highly appreciated.

The fart was anime original, but I thought it was funny as fuck.

her expression after she got out of the bed was priceless XD
Jul 9, 2016 11:59 PM
Jul 2015
I'm not a VN reader but this series gives me the curiosity and funny dialogues. The characters are pretty cute, Kotarou is funny.
I don't care about the pacing. So 4/5

Jul 10, 2016 12:25 AM

Jul 2014
Noooo, ecchi+harem nooooo :C
Why?? Please someone say me if this is only start or all anime is like ecchi+harem...

I hate Ecchi/Harem...
Jul 10, 2016 12:37 AM

Feb 2014
xXNurioXx said:
Why?? Please someone say me if this is only start or all anime is like ecchi+harem...

I hate Ecchi/Harem...

The ecchiness should be over with this episode. They should move away from the whole boob joke, and there may be a chance for a pantyshot in the future if they decide to adapt this one scene that was in the VN, but it's not an important scene and just Kotarou "temping fate" to peak.
On the harem side, he is surrounded by girls in the Occult club, but occasionally they get Yoshino to come over, and there is another guy who will get introduced probably next episode who sometimes is over there as well. Other than that, he is surrounded by girls but it's not like they all have a crush on him like most harems. Only probably one or two of the girls have a crush on him at this point, the other girls only really develop their feelings going into their routes.
Jul 10, 2016 12:39 AM

Jun 2013
xXNurioXx said:

I hate Ecchi/Harem...

It's not.

We have said that already..

Also, just something i want to paste here to help some people out:

So yeah, just be patient.

Murasa22Jul 10, 2016 1:12 AM
Jul 10, 2016 1:55 AM

Jul 2012
Waited for 2nd episode to decide continuing or not. I think it was not that bad and not that mind blowing as 1st episode. Not so much of a fan of humor part, feels really weird sometimes.
And people are saying that there will be crazy stuff later so kinda interested.
Jul 10, 2016 4:22 AM

Jan 2012
It's a detail but it was still stupid how the food trail and parfait suddenly disappeared during the parfait scene... I also don't get why he needed to get so many bites.. which shouldn't have been enough to finish it btw
Jul 10, 2016 4:30 AM

Feb 2014
Being an anime-only viewer, I think i'll have an easier time glossing over the spoilers in the OP and ED animations. However, I will have a harder time following the story.

Nevertheless, I did enjoy the episode. The pacing was quick and I can understand to a certain extent why other users who have played the VN are worried.

Still, Koutarou was able to form the club and gain plenty of members. Shizuru's my favourite character so far. =)

The fart joke came out of nowhere. It was still funny, along with the rest of the humour for the episode too.
Jul 10, 2016 4:40 AM

Nov 2013
Meta_Yoshi said:
Being an anime-only viewer, I think i'll have an easier time glossing over the spoilers in the OP and ED animations. However, I will have a harder time following the story.

Nevertheless, I did enjoy the episode. The pacing was quick and I can understand to a certain extent why other users who have played the VN are worried.

Still, Koutarou was able to form the club and gain plenty of members. Shizuru's my favourite character so far. =)

The fart joke came out of nowhere. It was still funny, along with the rest of the humour for the episode too.

The joke fart literally came out of nowhere - it wasn't at the VN, so no one saw it coming.

Shizuru is awesome~ Akane was my favorite during the common route, but Shizuru became my favorite after the character routes~

Sadly, they did cut out the moments where Shizuru goes silent while thinking and Koutarou tries to guess what she's thinking about (which are some of the funniest things at the VN)
Jul 10, 2016 4:51 AM

Jun 2015
Volarer said:
Hongu said:
So is there anything at all which separates this from literally every other battle harem out there? This was painfully generic. You all were hyping this up like it was the second coming of Jesus or something.

Lol it'd be faster if I just summed up what this show has in common with generic battle harems. And that is literally nothing. Just keep watching. This is not a harem. It's not a shounen either. This is nothing but the most glorious piece of philosophy ever created by a human being.

Chihaya route was kinda shounen-ish
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jul 10, 2016 4:53 AM

Jun 2015
MagicalMahou said:
Oh, hey, wow...

Thanks for ruining my most favorite scene in the common route, 8-bit...

Anyway, time for the weekly list of 8BIT BITCHING!:

-Where is Kotori's sharp wit and Engurish-insertion one liners..?
-Why is Chihaya portrayed to posses at least average intelligence..?
-Why is Shizuru not ripe enough for the picking...? (uhun~)
-Why isn't Lucia's VA breaking my ears yet...?
-Why is Akane so small...?
-Why is there only 1 min of Yoshino screentime...?
-Why isn't Inoue a heroine...?

and last...

Inoue never was a heroine?
She didn't even got her own route XD
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jul 10, 2016 4:58 AM

Jun 2015
The visual novel is way and way better guys.
And beside this the anime isn't all that bad tbh yeah we have random scenes and the characters are not what they are in the VN..
Lucia isn't screaming
Kotori is not as cute nor as likable as the VN
Chihaya has average intelligence in this adaptation
Akane isn't mature and charismatic as the VN

but still a good anime and it's funny 7/10 for the anime and 11/10 for the VN
Jul 10, 2016 5:07 AM

Dec 2012
Such a beautiful harem, especially Akane. The opening is good too.
Jul 10, 2016 5:08 AM

Apr 2015
I'm gonna watch it today so expect a lot of hate here... or maybe not. Who knows...
Jul 10, 2016 6:09 AM

Jul 2007
TheLittleRedHero said:
rsc-pl said:

If you mentioning a VN, then just read VN. It's not a KyoAni, but 8bit. Don't expect great things by this "adaptation".
But wait, why I even replying to a guy gave "1" to Clannad.

Wait. Going side-tracked here. He gave Clannad a 1? What the ._.
well, not attacking but... what.

I did not enjoy most of Key stuff. Kanon, Clannad, etc, its all the same emotionally manipulative tropes on repeat. Its boring shallow FEELS stuff most of the time filled with questionable plot decisions and cringy moe art style.

Was hoping Rewrite would change my view since people kept hyping it up as "different" from other Key stuff and actually having plot, but so far this is just a huge incomprehensible clusterfuck that actually makes me want to increase the score on other key works - because at least Clannad was comprehensible.
Jul 10, 2016 6:15 AM

Sep 2011
TheLittleRedHero said:

Also the fact that I don't think Tennouji would mean that way either because I talked to him outside of the MAL site and we technically understood whats going on. I don't think he implied... just that. But I could be wrong.

I don't know what's going on LOL.

Anyway, my post is meant to be as "I don't think this episode deserves to be commented at since this episode is about the start of building up the Occult Club". Nothing really special to be frank except the more introduction of the heroines and Akane's boobs, which that depends to the other viewers, including who played the game but EXCEPT me.

I do see there are rushed parts but it doesn't really matter anyway given it's 13 episodes so it won't flinch me.

Basically, I'm very neutral on this episode. But my neutrality of this episode makes me want to see the next episode instead because like I said, nothing really special.
TennoujiJul 10, 2016 6:26 AM

Jul 10, 2016 6:28 AM

Nov 2013
MagicalMahou said:
Volarer said:

Lol it'd be faster if I just summed up what this show has in common with generic battle harems. And that is literally nothing. Just keep watching. This is not a harem. It's not a shounen either. This is nothing but the most glorious piece of philosophy ever created by a human being.

>not a shounen
>not a shounen
>not a shounen
>not a shounen

Do you mean
Jul 10, 2016 7:23 AM

Aug 2015
Fai said:
TheLittleRedHero said:

Wait. Going side-tracked here. He gave Clannad a 1? What the ._.
well, not attacking but... what.

I did not enjoy most of Key stuff. Kanon, Clannad, etc, its all the same emotionally manipulative tropes on repeat. Its boring shallow FEELS stuff most of the time filled with questionable plot decisions and cringy moe art style.

Was hoping Rewrite would change my view since people kept hyping it up as "different" from other Key stuff and actually having plot, but so far this is just a huge incomprehensible clusterfuck that actually makes me want to increase the score on other key works - because at least Clannad was comprehensible.
not sure what kind of thing you heard from other people but the different is:
Typical key work:
SoL common route then "muh feels story focused"
Rewrite:
SoL common route then plot and characters focused.
It start out the same as every other Key's work with traditional key moe characters but the change on story caught the fans off guard and also what made them say "different".
Jul 10, 2016 7:24 AM

Jun 2015
Didn't like this episode because of the harem elements presents in all respects except the crushes on female's part. Only watching this for its supernatural aspect anyway plus the little? mystery element (what it is about to be specific). will give it one or two more episodes and if it gets boring, may drop it.
Jul 10, 2016 8:48 AM

Jul 2013
I don't know how things will evolve later on, but right now it is enough to keep me entertained. There are some funny moments that fart though and the main character is somewhat good.

I don't really like the harem feeling I'm getting from this, because right now it's just one guy and all girls, but people who read the VN say it's amazing, so I'll keep watching for now.

Chizuru and Kotori are too cute ! I feel like Kotori is hiding many things behind that cute smile of hers ! Did she see the ghost at the end ?

Jul 10, 2016 9:07 AM

Nov 2013
Niji-san said:
Chizuru and Kotori are too cute ! I feel like Kotori is hiding many things behind that cute smile of hers ! Did she see the ghost at the end ?

Well, the ghost did mutter Kotori's name earlier at Koutarou's room too, so there are hints that they are related somehow.

If you don't mind spoilers...
Jul 10, 2016 9:25 AM

Jul 2013
VierMill said:
Niji-san said:

Well, the ghost did mutter Kotori's name earlier at Koutarou's room too, so there are hints that they are related somehow.

If you don't mind spoilers...

Oh, yes, that's right, guess I forgot about that because I thought it didn't mean much!
Thanks ! It feels kind of messy right now, and I'm not sure I understand everything, but this makes it clearer ! I knew something was up~

Jul 10, 2016 9:46 AM
Jul 2018
Nashila said:
Fai said:

not sure what kind of thing you heard from other people but the different is:
Typical key work:
SoL common route then "muh feels story focused"
Rewrite:
SoL common route then plot and characters focused.
It start out the same as every other Key's work with traditional key moe characters but the change on story caught the fans off guard and also what made them say "different".

It is more of how the story is handled than other Key works. In the feels department it is by far the weakest by a shot, its more focused on the story department.
Jul 10, 2016 9:47 AM

Jan 2014
VierMill said:
MagicalMahou said:

>not a shounen
>not a shounen
>not a shounen
>not a shounen

Do you mean

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2016 9:56 AM

Mar 2013
I don't know how the VN adaptation is coming along but am sure loving the comedy it lol

Tho the whole thing remains a mess with no explanation provided whatsoever. Hope it clears that soon.
Jul 10, 2016 10:11 AM

Apr 2015
Murasa22 said:
PervertOlympus said:
Unlike Clannnad and Little Busters i get the vibe that this one will fail.[/img]

That last sentence deserves for J. Jonah Jameson's laugh meme...
Jul 10, 2016 10:54 AM

Mar 2015
The mc is pretty funny
Jul 10, 2016 11:06 AM
Dec 2014
This is a discussion, you have to put rational reasons and not just openion statement.
Your openions are received well, but don't give vague openion like "It's shit" "this is stupid"

Generic harem animes don't have this kind of begining. Look at the harem animes from 2015/2016
Gakusen toshi astarisk
Rakudai kishi no chavalry
Hundred

There is no fanservice here (aside from the boobs joke but that one isn't that much of a fanservice and more of a joke)
There is no harem because none of the girls like him, and none will until you get into their respective routes, and the anime won't include them so this won't be a harem
Jul 10, 2016 11:33 AM

Aug 2008
I do have to agree with what most of the people coming here in the thread said: it simply doesn't work.

The original Rewrite novel already had lots of problems, most of them connected to the awful pacing both the common route and the girl's routes had (this including Terra). In Rewrite everything has always been either too fast, preventing emotional connection or too slow, dragging the plot to a loud halt. It did work however because the characters were quite fun to hang around with and the final route brought a quite beautiful "wrap up" moment that alone saves the entire story.

Now, the anime doesn't even remotely try to fix any of those problems and, if anything, makes them worse. The pacing is once again part f the problem: the scenes itself are often far too fast (jokes have almost no comic time) and the random foreshadowing is just thrown there in a particularly clumsy way that if anything gives nothing to who read the novel and adds an insane amount of confusion for who hasn't. Basically, what the hell is the "tone" of this story supposed to be? Because it just keep jumping from a tone to another one and it's distructing and distruptive to the narration (one istant we have a scary ghost attack, followed by random tsundere antics for the sake of comic relief, followed immediatly by another scary ghost attack which is played for laughs with a fart joke). You can't take it seriously at all and that gigantic battle that tried to end the first episode in a very "climatic" way feels so jarring and disconnected from everything else that breaks any suspension of disbelief, with Kotarou basically going "Meh, whatever". I suppose the authors want to go the "Maybe it's all a dream" route, but I don't see it working.

Basically, what this anime is profiling to be is fanservice for who read the novel and appreciated it for what it was. Nothing more, nothing else. You can't really justify the horrible narration by just saying "it will be explained later" because "mystery" doesn't imply "it sucks until Poirot explains the murder in the room with all the other characters, then you can reread it and it's good".

Is it good for those who read the original work? Yeah, actually I think it is. It's good fanservice, in a way. But for everyone else? Please run away as fast as possible.
Jul 10, 2016 11:38 AM

Apr 2014
So it go back to being a 24 mins episode.
Still confuse on where this is going.
Jul 10, 2016 11:46 AM

Jun 2013
Ukyo9 said:
Basically, what this anime is profiling to be is fanservice for who read the novel and appreciated it for what it was. Nothing more, nothing else.

It has been stated by Tensho already that this is for both audiences.

With exception of Kryvoy Rog, we've seen pretty much the same thing we saw in the VN at this point.

So yeah, it's not fanservice or anything like that.
Murasa22Jul 10, 2016 11:49 AM
Jul 10, 2016 11:52 AM

Aug 2008
Murasa22 said:
Ukyo9 said:
Basically, what this anime is profiling to be is fanservice for who read the novel and appreciated it for what it was. Nothing more, nothing else.

I don't discuss the fact they tried to make it for both audiences, but I personally don't see it working. I would love to be proven mistaken but the pace has to get it together and fast.

With exception of Kryvoy Rog, we've seen pretty much the same thing we saw in the VN at this point.

Having the same events but killing the pacing also kills the narration. It's the same story, but as I explained with horrible problems of tone. I don't know how to explain myself better than how I did, you can't just slap events one after another like that, you need to have a coherent and armonious flow which just isn't present here.

Jul 10, 2016 12:01 PM

Sep 2011
Ukyo9 said:
Murasa22 said:

I don't discuss the fact they tried to make it for both audiences, but I personally don't see it working. I would love to be proven mistaken but the pace has to get it together and fast.

Having the same events but killing the pacing also kills the narration. It's the same story, but as I explained with horrible problems of tone. I don't know how to explain myself better than how I did, you can't just slap events one after another like that, you need to have a coherent and armonious flow which just isn't present here.

Or he can't simply admit his mistake and he's simply just using what Tensho said that this anime is for both audiences and he even stated that many times when someone complains that this anime seems it's only for VN players.

And I do agree on everything of what you said.

Jul 10, 2016 12:05 PM

Apr 2015
Tennouji said:
Ukyo9 said:

Or he can't simply admit his mistake and he's simply just using what Tensho said that this anime is for both audiences and he even stated that many times when someone complains that this anime seems it's only for VN players.

And I do agree on everything of what you said.

Yeah, for VN players without any standards. VN's OP2 is better than this garbage will (probably) ever be.
Jul 10, 2016 12:07 PM

Jul 2016
From the general impression on the first two episodes, it maybe not positive, but let hope it will become better. No one can tell what await us yet.

While I enjoy the current Rewrite anime so far, I still want they to adapt only Akane route and air it when Ufotable Heaven's Feel is release. That would be priceless :)
"A good man, in his darkest yearning, Is still aware of virtue’s ways." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Jul 10, 2016 12:36 PM

Mar 2012
Liked this episode, had me chuckling at some points. I really hope they will have more than just 13 epis, because 50+ hours of a VN shouldn't be rushed to fit in 13 epis.
Jul 10, 2016 2:17 PM

Aug 2014
Maybe they do a grisia adaption again. 12 eps + movie then last 10 eps :P
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

293 by nhkam »»
Apr 6, 10:39 PM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2016

177 by Miki42 »»
Jan 10, 9:41 AM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2016

112 by White_Alice »»
Dec 15, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2016

126 by White_Alice »»
Dec 15, 2023 11:43 PM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2016

242 by White_Alice »»
Dec 15, 2023 11:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.