Forum Settings
Forums

Does MAL need a "Tag Team" ? ( Aka what do you think about the Anime tags and what should be done with them ? )

New
Feb 27, 2016 7:08 AM

Aug 2015
Some people already knows how misleading the tags on MAL can be. They often don't have correct tags and sometimes there are tags which makes no sense.

Should MAL make a separate club/team just to give correct tags in all the shows ? What do you think ?

And also , should MAL separate the Demographics from the Tags and place it somewhere else ? / Completely get rid of it ?

Sorry about my bad English :P
Z-DanteFeb 27, 2016 7:21 AM
Feb 27, 2016 7:14 AM

Nov 2015
Yeah, the tags on here are all messed up. A tag rewrite team may be necessary.
And no, no separate sections for demographics because that would mean that all anime must fit into some demographic whereas there are just so many anime that are just around that blurry line..
Target demographics should be included with tags..
Feb 27, 2016 7:31 AM

Mar 2015
baka updates has more complite and faithful genre/tag compare to mal.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 27, 2016 7:32 AM

Nov 2015
Nagirah said:

Also, the demographics are based on where the source material was published so there's not really any way you can give an anime original series for example a demographic. No matter how "shounen" a certain series would feel, you can't give it a shounen tag unless it's manga was published in a shounen magazine. So yeah, I agree that demographics should stay in the tags.

So your'e saying that the demographic of an anime solely depends on where the manga was published? Well that sucks..
No wonder SnK is tagged as 'shounen'..
Feb 27, 2016 8:08 AM

Dec 2015
GesuYarou said:
Nagirah said:

Also, the demographics are based on where the source material was published so there's not really any way you can give an anime original series for example a demographic. No matter how "shounen" a certain series would feel, you can't give it a shounen tag unless it's manga was published in a shounen magazine. So yeah, I agree that demographics should stay in the tags.

So your'e saying that the demographic of an anime solely depends on where the manga was published? Well that sucks..
No wonder SnK is tagged as 'shounen'..

Makes sense to me since that was there original target audience. If SnK was meant to be for a Shounen demographic in Japan then I guess that's how the demographic should be tagged.

Also, I think some of the genres tagged in some of these anime are completely wrong or just don't make sense. As someone has said, Baka-updates does a better job with this.
Feb 27, 2016 8:13 AM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion

That's not a bad idea actually. Though, I can see the demographic suggestion causing some of...uh...debates. I'd like to see how list tags would play into this though. Perhaps have MAL tags be used instead, and we'd just use a separate column specifically for personal notes?
Jun 14, 2016 9:13 AM
Aug 2012
Demographic tags or whatever are an additional burden to the (yet nonexistent) tagger team.
And yes, MAL needs a team of taggers BADLY, the tags distribution is so convoluted now searching anime/manga by them is pretty much pointless. I lost count by now how many entries have "Comedy" tag despite the fact there is no comedic relief at all/ comedic relief is there only so that readers won't break emotionally from story being too heavy.
Although, I think a better alternative would be introducing tag voting, like on *cough* exhentai*cough*, meaning any user can vote any tag for any given entry up/down, and low-power tags would be ignored during search, or something.
Not that I expect anything will change at all, but oh well, better to say something than to idly get dissappointed by one manga/anime after another.
Jun 14, 2016 12:47 PM

Oct 2014
We also need to be able to say when something has more or less of something. "Dementia" seems to be used for both experimental shorts and very psychological anime like SEL. Letting people vote on tags could work as you can't expect everyone from a team to have collectively watched all anime, but this could also cause problems and some tags are objective. Demographics are meant to be objective, but there are some problems such as the josei anime/manga "Nana" being tagged as "shoujo" since it has been considered both by different magazines. Cookie is considered to be a shoujo magazine by MAL but most other sources say it's josei (it's actually about 60-40 in favour or josei). Comedy is subjective, for example Gakkou no Kaidan was originally horror but the English licensed version was marketed as a comedy. There isn't any easy way to show this on MAL currently. The tag "horror" is commonly used to mean "gore" rather than what Westerners have accepted as "horror fiction". "Slice of Life" is fairly subjective as most music, sports, romance anime are based around the characters' everyday lives, but their lives are interesting and sometimes contain a lot of action. The tags should also be in order of importance rather than ordered alphabetically. As someone complained, Love Lab uses "romance" as a genre like "music" rather than being about actual relationships. It would also be useful to distinguish anime like Nanatsu no Taizai that are action based and have some ecchi from anime like Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? that are ecchi based and have some action.
Jun 14, 2016 7:18 PM

Sep 2010
Yes, MAL desperately needs Tag Team. No, giving users ability to vote is a very bad idea. I can't even count times when in "Anime/Manga DB Modification Requests" topics some bloody noobs requested adding/removing tags just because they "feel" it's right/wrong instead of reading tag definitions beforehand. Some of poisoned entries still not fixed. That's say a lot about current maintainers. Recently there have been even straight stupid screw-ups when fixing tags has been done completely wrong and not done properly even after it's been pointed. That says even more about new maintainers.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Jun 14, 2016 7:21 PM

Jun 2015
Oh yeah, definitely needs them. Isuca shouldn't be a comedy or a school series. I'm doubting if it is also a seinen as well.

There are plenty more examples of inappropriate tags.

More topics from this board

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

4 by traed »»
2 hours ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

20 by Astachanna »»
3 hours ago

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - 10 hours ago

1 by Astachanna »»
3 hours ago

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.