Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 7, 2016 5:29 PM

Sep 2015
When a second season to an anime is done a different studio does it throw you off? For me if I can't tell the difference like Oreimo or Psycho Pass I don't mind it but if the art/animation is drastically different such as Durarara and Oregairu, it completely throws me off.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 7, 2016 5:36 PM

Feb 2013
its been such a long time since i last saw durarara i dont feel it very different at all..

but i dont really mind.. even big differences such as Gunslinger Girl or Negima
Feb 7, 2016 5:53 PM

Apr 2015
It is all about how the final product ends up to be. There are studios that have similar air to their work and in that case it might end up ok. One series that comes to mind is Log Horizon. The first season was a grand hit and I was so excited when a second season was announced but then the second season was, well, I won't say bad but not as good. I am not sure if it was because of the studio change or the pacing of the story but a major thing for me was the smart politics and mind games that existed in the first season totally disappeared in the second.

So yeah, eventually it is all about how it ends up to be. I think same goes for when it is done by the same studio but with higher risk factor.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2016 6:01 PM

Oct 2015
as long as the new studio does it right I don't mind at all

unless the animation becomes really unbearable i:e:Fairy Tail
OddManfiestoFeb 7, 2016 6:06 PM
Feb 7, 2016 6:06 PM
Oct 2012
AniRev said:
I am not sure if it was because of the studio change or the pacing of the story but a major thing for me was the smart politics and mind games that existed in the first season totally disappeared in the second.

Unfortunately the problem was with the original work. Deen did a perfectly fine job with the animation, the stuff that people really disliked were part of the original work (including Kanami's character design).

But second seasons are always problematic. Unless you have the original writer and director, then the chances that the new writer/director being able to capture the essence of a successful series is difficult (has little to do with the talent of either person, they are just a different flavor than what most people are expecting). Another problem is that second season's of animation generally have smaller budgets than the first because the sponsors (usually the publisher's) are facing diminishing returns. Or even if the budget is the same, they have to pay more for the VA's (because screwing with voices actually pisses people off more than changing the animation).
Feb 7, 2016 6:07 PM

Apr 2015
Oh, also, you need to understand that a different studio means different script writer, episode director and series director as well. It is not only about the look, that is more important for me than the visuals as it effects the content of the story itself.

I love great art and animation and I would love to have all anime series done properly but to be honest, that's the presentation and outer cover. It does have a huge effect on especially on the little things. Take KyoAni's work for example and their shows pull you in so hard with a fanservice that is done right! Little body movements and details in the backgrounds and lighting on the parts that make your heart sing. That all is great! BUT!! A great story trumps great art any day of the week. Kingdom, GTO, Sidonia no Kishi, Gantz and the currently airing Ajin series, are all prime examples of how an anime with a great story will still get the upvote even when the art is meh or even shit.

My original point still stands tho, it is all about the execution. Whether a 5 seasons series is done be a different studio each season or one studio through it all, it matters not as long as the final product is done right, it just carries higher risk factor with the former option.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2016 6:09 PM

Feb 2013
It makes me nervous going in, and I can't think of a time a second season made by a different studio wasn't a disappointment off the top of my head, but I'm sure it isn't always a disaster.
Feb 7, 2016 6:10 PM

Apr 2014
I hate it when that happens, mostly because the second season will almost always be shit.
Feb 7, 2016 6:12 PM

Mar 2012
There is Hayate that change several studio from SynergySP to JC to Manglobe. I should say the difference between SynergySP and JC not really apparent but it took drastic change when Manglobe handle it.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 7, 2016 6:14 PM

Sep 2015
AniRev said:
Oh, also, you need to understand that a different studio means different script writer, episode director and series director as well. It is not only about the look, that is more important for me than the visuals as it effects the content of the story itself.

But that's not always the case. Series like Durarara and Oreimo which had a second season done by a different studio still had the same director, storyboard, etc.
Feb 7, 2016 6:14 PM

Apr 2014
romagia said:
its been such a long time since i last saw durarara i dont feel it very different at all..

but i dont really mind.. even big differences such as Gunslinger Girl or Negima
for durara its same staff just getting their own studio

negima is a reboot nothing was a sequel
Feb 7, 2016 6:22 PM

Apr 2015
Takuan_Soho said:
Unfortunately the problem was with the original work. Deen did a perfectly fine job with the animation, the stuff that people really disliked were part of the original work (including Kanami's character design).

Yeah, I also thought that might be the case considering the history of Deen which clearly shows that it excels in script writing way more than the visuals. So yeah, it was just the example I had in the back of my mind for what this post is discussing.

Takuan_Soho said:
But second seasons are always problematic. Unless you have the original writer and director, then the chances that the new writer/director being able to capture the essence of a successful series is difficult (has little to do with the talent of either person, they are just a different flavor than what most people are expecting). Another problem is that second season's of animation generally have smaller budgets than the first because the sponsors (usually the publisher's) are facing diminishing returns. Or even if the budget is the same, they have to pay more for the VA's (because screwing with voices actually pisses people off more than changing the animation).

Yep, you got the general idea right on point. However, I wouldn't say the sponsors face diminishing returns because it is not considered like that. Of course the returns will become less and less with time but the length of time during which the returns still hold above a certain level is also another factor. A second season of a successful series will replenish the numbers not only in the short term but the long term as well, especially when if it turns out as good or better than the first.

In addition to that, by getting a sequel for a successful series you open up chances for your show to get picked up dubbed and licensed by western networks. That's another way to rack up profit. There are so many factors that go into the numbers that have nothing to do with direct sales so sponsors don't look at the boom start only even though it is still a major factor. In way it is between what you said and what I am saying, neither of us is hitting the reality of it accurately so it will still be a mere opinion of a viewer.
AniRevFeb 7, 2016 6:26 PM
Feb 7, 2016 6:49 PM

May 2015
The character animation for Yahari Orei completely threw me off second season. The MC didn't even look like the same person

Spice and Wolf S2 took a few episodes to get use to as well. Holo looked very different.
Feb 7, 2016 6:55 PM
Oct 2012
AniRev said:
In addition to that, by getting a sequel for a successful series you open up chances for your show to get picked up dubbed and licensed by western networks.

Thank you for the response, I like you. So please accept my rebuttal as only a discussion point from one who respects your opinion.

It would be nice if something being picked up by western networks meant anything to Japanese publishers, but ultimately it doesn't. The real money is still with the Japanese audience, so the focus of the various companies are and, for the foreseeable future, will remain on the Japanese market. It is the downside of the massive piracy that occurs in the West. This is why the official numbers for publication no longer includes foreign sales (though because I buy my stuff through an official Japanese store, my purchases get recorded).

As for Deen, their problem is with fluid action, because they are a low end cost animator, they suck at such scenes. The Fate otaku will never forgive them for them doing a series that needs great fluidity. But the hatred should not be directed towards Deen, but rather the cheap ass producers who wanted to exploit Deen's cost savings.

My point about diminishing returns can best be illustrated by the Haruhi series. The original series was a success, selling x number of volumes, the first animation likewise was a success selling x + Y number of volumes. But in order for a second anime series to be successful it need not only to sell x + y, but also the z factor (the marginal difference in sales that a second series would generate). When considered this way, it explains why a third series was not done.

As a consumer, I of course, want the entire series animated. But I have already bought all the novels, so why should anyone produce it?
Feb 7, 2016 6:56 PM

Apr 2015
ya_hallo said:
But that's not always the case. Series like Durarara and Oreimo which had a second season done by a different studio still had the same director, storyboard, etc.

I know and for me Durarara is still good and the art style is more crisp and edgy which fits the character of the show. The first season still feels a bit different but I wouldn't say the essence of the show is lost. Again, I am more interested in the story itself than the aesthetic when judging a show for an overall score because I know how hard it is to get a series made. The art is a major factor but no matter how good a series looks, if the story is shit (source, script, pacing, original details...etc), the whole thing will end up being shit.

Btw, fun fact is that Takahiro-sensei who used to be the major name behind Brain's Base studio and all the great series that were created there branched off Brain's Base and created Shuka Studio with the rest of the Durarara cast with their main goal being the production of the sequels for Durarara. That means without the studio change we would have never gotten a sequel to begin with haha.
Feb 7, 2016 7:06 PM

Mar 2014
I feel like it means way more for Directors. First Garo was good but this 2nd one was one of the worst things I've ever seen. Same studio but different directors.
Feb 7, 2016 7:18 PM

Sep 2015
AniRev said:
ya_hallo said:

I know and for me Durarara is still good and the art style is more crisp and edgy which fits the character of the show. The first season still feels a bit different but I wouldn't say the essence of the show is lost. Again, I am more interested in the story itself than the aesthetic when judging a show for an overall score because I know how hard it is to get a series made. The art is a major factor but no matter how good a series looks, if the story is shit (source, script, pacing, original details...etc), the whole thing will end up being shit.

Btw, fun fact is that Takahiro-sensei who used to be the major name behind Brain's Base studio and all the great series that were created there branched off Brain's Base and created Shuka Studio with the rest of the Durarara cast with their main goal being the production of the sequels for Durarara. That means without the studio change we would have never gotten a sequel to begin with haha.

I never knew that. That's pretty interesting.
Feb 7, 2016 7:31 PM

Sep 2013
Fairy tail 2014 got a darker tone/shading or whatever, just awful.
Feb 7, 2016 7:35 PM

Jul 2014
Oregairu got better when the animation studio changed

People complained about it still of course even though the characters got super accurate to the original Light Novel, the girls got cuter too, I watched both seasons and prefer the 2nd seasons character design
Feb 7, 2016 7:41 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Log Horizon is one of the examples.

Some of the characters felt different in 2nd season.....annoyed me a bit.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 7, 2016 7:41 PM

Sep 2015
chokingasuka said:
Oregairu got better when the animation studio changed

People complained about it still of course even though the characters got super accurate to the original Light Novel, the girls got cuter too, I watched both seasons and prefer the 2nd seasons character design

I agree, I liked season 2 a lot better as well. It just threw me off in the beginning because the art was so drastically different to the point it felt like I was watching a different show.
Feb 7, 2016 7:46 PM
Apr 2013
They tend to ruin the anime more than improving it. Log Horizon and OreGairu are first things come to mind.

However, there is an instance when it did improve the show. That will be Boku wa Tomodachi.

chokingasuka said:

People complained about it still of course even though the characters got super accurate to the original Light Novel

No, they didn't.
Feb 7, 2016 8:21 PM

Apr 2015
Takuan_Soho said:
Thank you for the response, I like you. So please accept my rebuttal as only a discussion point from one who respects your opinion.

Haha! You are free to discuss, agree and disagree with me to your heart's content! I welcome discussions in any way of form so you don't have to be too polite. That response of yours made laugh because it is kind of rare around here but yeah thanks for liking me lol.

Takuan_Soho said:
It would be nice if something being picked up by western networks meant anything to Japanese publishers, but ultimately it doesn't. The real money is still with the Japanese audience, so the focus of the various companies are and, for the foreseeable future, will remain on the Japanese market. It is the downside of the massive piracy that occurs in the West. This is why the official numbers for publication no longer includes foreign sales (though because I buy my stuff through an official Japanese store, my purchases get recorded).

That is true! I added that in the end as an extra for a reason. The notion that Japanese production companies don't care about the profit coming from the western market due to it being negligible still holds true to certain degree but in the recent years there is a little shift. There is a glimpse of a tide shift in the how much the Japanese publishers care about the western market. It is not something that is having an effect now but it will have an effect in the future for sure. The reason is that in the past 10 years there has been a fast-paced trial and error process going in the western market of anime. With the dying culture of VHS, the succession of DVD and Blu-Ray sets, the the streaming services with ads and as of recent, the subscription-based sites, it has all been a hit and miss kind of process. It starts good but the fast change in technology didn't allow any of these phases to have a long lasting effect.

Recently though, with the subscription-based system coming to light, it can be said that we are witnessing a start for a stable medium that might last long enough to get the attention of the producers in Japan. Not only as a channel for content consumption but also as a medium that might help those who know nothing about anime to see what this whole thing is about and with that bring in more viewership from the international market, which will be huge. You can see a shift in the big countries like USA, UK, France and others where the following and fan-base for anime series has been undergoing a steady and fast growth in the past few years.

How did people know about shows like SAO, AOT & HxH? It was streaming services that picked up these shows and put them out in front of the viewer who was introduced to a shockingly good and new type of entertainment they never knew existed. Streaming services used to struggle to make any type of money to keep their doors open, now they are turning into major corporations and starting to have a serious weight. Japanese production companies are not stupid and have noticed that. You can bet there will be a change in how things go in these 5-10 years coming ahead or at least that's how I see it. I might be wrong after all. Or maybe we will witness another change in technology that will render the streaming services obsolete again and hence get back to being stuck in the never ending cycle of being the market no-one cares about haha.

Takuan_Soho said:
As for Deen, their problem is with fluid action, because they are a low end cost animator, they suck at such scenes. The Fate otaku will never forgive them for them doing a series that needs great fluidity. But the hatred should not be directed towards Deen, but rather the cheap ass producers who wanted to exploit Deen's cost savings.

I wouldn't blame the producers, it is not easy to make ends meet trust me on that. I work in the multimedia and creative industry and know the pain of planning a project to meet the budget. No matter how much I care about my art, in the end of the day, it is a business and if I don't keep the money flowing, I will not be able to do what I love anymore. That is why for most creators, doing personal projects on the side of doing business is how they keep themselves from going crazy. The whole business is a tough battle ground and the producer's job is to make everyone happy. Now pick ten users on this site and try to make them all happy, it is not an easy thing to do. Your point is still true tho about weaknesses in Studio Deen's work.

Takuan_Soho said:
My point about diminishing returns can best be illustrated by the Haruhi series. The original series was a success, selling x number of volumes, the first animation likewise was a success selling x + Y number of volumes. But in order for a second anime series to be successful it need not only to sell x + y, but also the z factor (the marginal difference in sales that a second series would generate). When considered this way, it explains why a third series was not done.

Yes as I said, your argument was totally on point, it is just that you are oversimplifying it. My point was that there are other calculations that go into the argument that is all.

Takuan_Soho said:
As a consumer, I of course, want the entire series animated. But I have already bought all the novels, so why should anyone produce it?

Now here is where I disagree with you, you cannot say there is no point in making the next season because you've bought the source material already. Most series are based off of source material be it a manga, a light novel, a game or some other source but when the source material has potential and finds sponsors to stand behind it, an anime will be produced whether you've bought the source or not.
AniRevFeb 7, 2016 8:27 PM
Feb 7, 2016 9:45 PM

Jul 2014
worldeditor11 said:
They tend to ruin the anime more than improving it. Log Horizon and OreGairu are first things come to mind.

However, there is an instance when it did improve the show. That will be Boku wa Tomodachi.

chokingasuka said:

People complained about it still of course even though the characters got super accurate to the original Light Novel

No, they didn't.

"No they didn't" What, that's like when people say "Was I the only one that felt this way?" of course people out there complained, look at the comments on crunchyroll or any site that has it from a while ago, plenty of people did
Feb 7, 2016 9:54 PM
Apr 2013
chokingasuka said:
worldeditor11 said:

No, they didn't.

"No they didn't" What, that's like when people say "Was I the only one that felt this way?" of course people out there complained, look at the comments on crunchyroll or any site that has it from a while ago, plenty of people did
No, what I said was that the characters didn't "got super accurate" as in the LN.
Feb 7, 2016 10:10 PM

Jul 2014
worldeditor11 said:
chokingasuka said:

No, what I said was that the characters didn't "got super accurate" as in the LN.

Ohhhhh, Well, I think they did, its more of a toss-up, S2 Hachiman looks more accurate while Season 1 Yukinon and Yui looked slightly better in the face and Season 2 there hair was better. Idk.
Feb 7, 2016 10:19 PM
Jan 2015
Oregairu pulled it off well, that's for sure.
My Queens

Feb 7, 2016 10:27 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I remember when, at first, people where pissed off at Oregairu with a new studio and new character design.
That was funny to see that people stopped crying when the anime started and actually saw that it was superior than the Brain's Base version.

But sometimes it can suck ... so i'm just gonna throw the good old ''it depends''
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Feb 7, 2016 10:51 PM
Apr 2015
Oregairu was noticable but better.
The change in Drrr was unnoticable, tbh.
It just depends on the execution.

But sometimes, even the same studio can screw up their sequels *cough*Fairy Tail
Feb 7, 2016 10:58 PM

Jun 2013
I agree with Log Horizon, first season was great, second not so very. It was actually disappointing to me.

Genshiken Nidaime was also done by a different sutdio than Genshiken & Genshiken 2 but that doesn't bother me at all. I love the Genshiken franchise.
~Where's Gnasty Gnorc? I'll torch him!~
Feb 7, 2016 10:59 PM

Jul 2012
i dont care unless they change art style (oregairu) T_T

both seasons of log horizon sucked ass for me so i didn't see much of a difference.

ya_hallo said:
drastically different such as Durarara
wait what? they had a studio change?! i didn't even notice lmAO
Feb 7, 2016 11:29 PM

Apr 2013
Yeah, first season of Maken-Ki made by A-1 looked pretty decent. Second one was made by Xebec and it just looked wrong... all of the characters looksed so odd and deformed O_O
Feb 7, 2016 11:39 PM

May 2013
Worst I've seen is probably Psycho-Pass season 2 lol. Season 2 of Log Horizon was not as good as first season. I felt the pacing was just all over the place.

I was a bit worried about OreGairu and Durarara before they aired but they were fine once I saw them. Tho I will say I don't remember first season of Durarara having so many derp faces and derp animation as season 2.
Feb 8, 2016 12:07 AM

Jun 2015
If the first studio was pierrot, I would make a party.
If the second studio was peirrot, I would go on a killing spree.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Feb 8, 2016 12:11 AM

Aug 2013
Aside for the topic, i remembered anime series with 2 major art style within 1 season (no, im not talking about 1 episode that looked different which was 1 of ttgl episode)

Im talking about Noein and Mahou shoujotai alice that have 2 clearly difference styles as if it they were didnt worried about consistency.

I wish i can show video about difference, but im on phone.
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Feb 8, 2016 12:38 AM

Mar 2015
OssMoses said:

ichii_1 said:
isn't fairy tail still done by A-1? it's just their partner changed from satelight to another new studio? forgot it's name.

there is art style shock if there is really visible different. easiest example is hayate no gotoku series. Synergy SP to JC.Staff is not really have problem, since the art style is not soo much different. but when it handeled by manglobe, it really make people burn.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 8, 2016 12:47 AM

Apr 2014
Well it depends... I mean when an anime is not focused on the animation and action, and it is more story based, then I don't mind it being done by another studio, all I think is that it got a second season so I am cool.

But if we bring One Punch Man on the topic... and if there will be a second season and it is picked up by another studio... that my friend, would be a disaster.
"Better leave tomorrow's problems to tomorrow's you."

- One bald guy at the supermarket
Feb 8, 2016 1:00 AM

Mar 2015
JinsoR said:
Well it depends... I mean when an anime is not focused on the animation and action, and it is more story based, then I don't mind it being done by another studio, all I think is that it got a second season so I am cool.

But if we bring One Punch Man on the topic... and if there will be a second season and it is picked up by another studio... that my friend, would be a disaster.
if it gonna adapt by trigger using inferno cop style and directly using webtoon manga as source. automatic 10/10.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 8, 2016 1:16 AM

Apr 2014
Kuma said:
JinsoR said:

if it gonna adapt by trigger using inferno cop style and directly using webtoon manga as source. automatic 10/10.

hahaha, well that would be interesting. xD
"Better leave tomorrow's problems to tomorrow's you."

- One bald guy at the supermarket
Feb 8, 2016 1:49 AM

Dec 2015
First, about the subject: I did not like the few tweaks in the character designs when Kyoto Animation took over Full Metal Panic for the 2nd Raid (in Fumoffu it was allright because it retained only the humorous tone). The series was great, but I missed Gonzo style overall (yes, the infamous CGI etc)

My excuses about this out-of-place text.

AniRev said:
You can see a shift in the big countries like USA, UK, France and others where the following and fan-base for anime series has been undergoing a steady and fast growth in the past few years.?

France was always a big market for the animation: first the TV producers bought jap.animation because it was so cheap (back in the 70-80s), then VHS editors emerged during the 90s and when 2000 came, we had a really big choice of DVDs (and boxes) for prices who were sometimes high but often cheaper than the expensive ones I see today (especially when you compare new releases prices from this period to today's ones). When I see some streaming sites who sell a show for 26€ when I could actually buy a big box of 5DVDs (with cultural/video bonuses sometimes) for the same price or 10€more 12years ago, and then the DVD editor sells it for 50-60€. The only good sides of simulcast are the theoretical short-circuit of the fansub (sadly replaced with stream stealers), and the fact that you can use it as a replacement for television because it can be free and we get almost anything japanese on french TV now. The downside is the choice, the tendance to publish every little thing right after its release makes it look like the french manga market when it boomed (let's say 2002-2006).
Sorry for the long useless paragraph, but the growth of the anime/manga consumer I noticed was always due to the comeback of japanese animation on freeTV.(there has been the GTO/FMA wave, the One Piece wave). Someone who is not already into animation won't start with simulcast.
Also, a bunch of those services "consumers" have still the exact same horrible mentality as before (aka the "fansub era"). How can someone be angry after a publisher because he will gets a new episode 7-15days after the diffusion (wich was a correct delay when it was illegal) or even 5hours instead of a 1-2hours delay.
When you read the comments on internet anime publishers FB or site itself, it is full of "you're late, I watched it elsewhere", "to all of you who like the show, continue it on xxx illegal website" etc...

AniRev said:
you cannot say there is no point in making the next season because you've bought the source material already. Most series are based off of source material be it a manga, a light novel, a game or some other source but when the source material has potential and finds sponsors to stand behind it, an anime will be produced whether you've bought the source or not.

An anime adaptation will be produced as long as there is something to sell (a new opus/tome of the source material, a new line of toys). Sponsors will not support something for the sake of its potential.
Rei_IIIFeb 8, 2016 1:53 AM
Feb 8, 2016 2:48 AM
May 2009
Feb 8, 2016 3:02 AM

Jul 2014
There is doing it right, and then there's doing it horribly wrong.

Right: OreGairu
Wrong: Minami-Ke
Hardly noticeable: Yuru Yuri
Feb 8, 2016 4:09 AM

Apr 2015
Rei366 said:

AniRev said:
You can see a shift in the big countries like USA, UK, France and others where the following and fan-base for anime series has been undergoing a steady and fast growth in the past few years.?

France was always a big market for the animation: first the TV producers bought jap.animation because it was so cheap (back in the 70-80s), then VHS editors emerged during the 90s and when 2000 came, we had a really big choice of DVDs (and boxes) for prices who were sometimes high but often cheaper than the expensive ones I see today (especially when you compare new releases prices from this period to today's ones). When I see some streaming sites who sell a show for 26€ when I could actually buy a big box of 5DVDs (with cultural/video bonuses sometimes) for the same price or 10€more 12years ago, and then the DVD editor sells it for 50-60€. The only good sides of simulcast are the theoretical short-circuit of the fansub (sadly replaced with stream stealers), and the fact that you can use it as a replacement for television because it can be free and we get almost anything japanese on french TV now. The downside is the choice, the tendance to publish every little thing right after its release makes it look like the french manga market when it boomed (let's say 2002-2006).
Sorry for the long useless paragraph, but the growth of the anime/manga consumer I noticed was always due to the comeback of japanese animation on freeTV.(there has been the GTO/FMA wave, the One Piece wave). Someone who is not already into animation won't start with simulcast.

I never said anime was not famous in France, there has just been a steady increase recently but it is true that the increase is not as noticeable in France as in other countries due to anime being already popular there. As for simulcast services, there are many ups and downs but you need to understand that they have been trying to fit in a fast-pace system that keeps throwing change after change. The system you are talking about where you pay per show is an old one. That was a trial that ended up failing and the reason it started was because when licencors saw that the return for simulcast is not worth the trouble, they required payment upfront from streaming companies and it was done per episode. In that sense and due to the profit-from-ads system being a failure as well, the streaming companies had to think of ways get more profit in order to stay in business. That's when the payment per series was introduced but very soon proved to be another failure as it amounted to the same system of DVD purchases but it lacked in comparison. I won't tackle the price difference because it is different from country to country but the main issue was that when you own the DVD, first you it meant that you are now a proud collector and second the product itself was at hand's reach for you to enjoy even if the internet/streaming service is down and you could take it anywhere and enjoy it with friends. In short, purchasing the DVD made more sense and thus the payment per series era was on its way to disappear, that much was clear not long after it was offered. That is when the idea of subscription-based streaming where the streaming site offers you an ad-free enhanced experience for a $5-8/month membership came to light. This is the current system I was talking about that has been proving successful thus far. That is the system I mean when I mentioned introducing entertainment-seekers who've never considered anime as a viable source for entertainment due it needing an effort to seek and follow in the past. Now you have services like Hulu in the US (for example) where you can watch western TV series as well as anime and other types of entertainment all at the same time for the same subscription. All you have to do is subscribe and click on the content you want to watch. Because of the the profit being per user and on a monthly basis, the streaming companies - while still not becoming rich - have managed to secure their business for the time being. I am also sure it is not a perfect system yet and that it still has problems but considering the road behind, I'd say this is not a bad place to be for now. I also know for a fact that the simulcast services are different between the US and Europe (and I am currently living in neither haha) so I cannot argue for every country. If you are from France then for sure you will know the flaws of the system applied there better than me, France happened to be an example only so I will leave the argument here.

Rei366 said:
Also, a bunch of those services "consumers" have still the exact same horrible mentality as before (aka the "fansub era"). How can someone be angry after a publisher because he will gets a new episode 7-15days after the diffusion (wich was a correct delay when it was illegal) or even 5hours instead of a 1-2hours delay.
When you read the comments on internet anime publishers FB or site itself, it is full of "you're late, I watched it elsewhere", "to all of you who like the show, continue it on xxx illegal website" etc...

haha are you really still not used to that? You need to understand how spoiled the young generation is these days. I mean really, being used to streaming anything and everything is just something that used to be a dream for most of us who are in the +20-year-old generation (of course that varies depending on your what country you are from as well) but basically we didn't grow up with entertainment in our face. We had TVs and all but we couldn't control the schedule. If a show aired at 2pm and I am still at school, it means I am either going to miss it or I am going to have to prepare the vhs recorder which used to break especially when I am recording a last episode which meant that I will have to wait till the next time it airs to see what happens. Not sure how old you are or how it used to be in France but man, the horrors of those days! LOL. Anyway, Nowadays the younger generation is just so spoiled and has no consideration of the effort it takes to bring the content to their doorstep but at the same time maybe exactly because of them being so demanding that we have reached such a speed in the process and the manner anime is presented these days even in illegal sites lol.

Rei366 said:
AniRev said:
you cannot say there is no point in making the next season because you've bought the source material already. Most series are based off of source material be it a manga, a light novel, a game or some other source but when the source material has potential and finds sponsors to stand behind it, an anime will be produced whether you've bought the source or not.

An anime adaptation will be produced as long as there is something to sell (a new opus/tome of the source material, a new line of toys). Sponsors will not support something for the sake of its potential.

Yes, the word "potential" cannot be used alone. What I meant by have potential is that it has the potential to appeal to viewers which will increase the sales. @Takuan_Soho said:

"As a consumer, I of course, want the entire series animated. But I have already bought all the novels, so why should anyone produce it"

So I was referring to him using the "I" pronoun which was inappropriate there because even he did buy it, it doesn't mean there are no other potential buyers.
AniRevFeb 8, 2016 6:46 AM
Feb 8, 2016 11:24 AM

Nov 2015
I usually don't even notice it that much. I think the only instance in which i clearly, clearly noticed it was OreGairu, and for me it got absolutely better with the new studio. So...

In general, I just don't care about visual changes, or design changes that much... If they are close enough and I still recognize the characters at first glance (and the first time I see them again), then it is all that matters.
Feb 8, 2016 2:50 PM

Oct 2015
Kuma said:
OssMoses said:

ichii_1 said:
isn't fairy tail still done by A-1? it's just their partner changed from satelight to another new studio? forgot it's name.

there is art style shock if there is really visible different. easiest example is hayate no gotoku series. Synergy SP to JC.Staff is not really have problem, since the art style is not soo much different. but when it handeled by manglobe, it really make people burn.

yeah it was originally A-1 + Satelight now its A-1+Bridge
Feb 8, 2016 3:02 PM

May 2015
I don't really care about it, so long as the animation/art style isn't drastically changed. With the examples you mentioned above, there really wasn't that big of a difference as you thought.
Feb 8, 2016 5:02 PM

Dec 2012
I gotta' say, yeah, it kinda bugs me. Usually, it's a downgrade too.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 8, 2016 5:33 PM

Sep 2014
In Yahari everything changed. I think Yui's boobs shrunk if I remember correctly.
Feb 8, 2016 6:44 PM
Jul 2018
I don't think DRRR's transition was that bad, the artstyle was a bit altered, but I got used to it. The staff is technically closer to the same as far as production elements go, I believe they've still got the same director onboard.
Feb 8, 2016 7:13 PM

Sep 2015
Mayuka said:

ya_hallo said:
drastically different such as Durarara
wait what? they had a studio change?! i didn't even notice lmAO

LOLOL! Seriously? But they look so drastically different.

I don't know anymore maybe it's just me.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Dai Sato (Ergo Proxy, Eureka Seven, Cowboy Bebop) Video Interview

MisatoAdmin - 3 minutes ago

0 by MisatoAdmin »»
3 minutes ago

» Best anime from Disney+?

Spunkert - 32 minutes ago

7 by PARZIVAL_1 »»
7 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together?

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

23 by TsutanaiFuun »»
9 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

263 by Shizuna »»
10 minutes ago

» Does it ever annoy you how a lot of series just never seem to end?

purple_rayn - 12 hours ago

15 by Spunkert »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.